Houston
Sponsored by

El Tiempo coming back to Katy

10,071 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DiskoTroop
BCG Disciple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not to mention going in to a Conn's as you wait is a FAR cry from watching 190lb beauties work the DC.
Chewy
AG
All the "upper" scale Mexican restaurants run about the same. To split fajitas with a couple margs each my wife and I spend in the ballpark of $100 before tip at all of them unless it's Friday night and I decide to tie one on. This holds true at El Tiempo, Lupe, Pappasitos, Picos, Ninfas, Candente, and the such.

Saw the posting about Tres Amigos. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts. They have a sign that says they're not for profit but not real clue what that means other than the "proceeds" supposedly go somewhere to help some sort of people in need. It's all app ordering where people just bring you food and drinks. You have to pay for chips and salsa and the chips are super thick and greasy.

The food is average as it's your standard tacos, enchiladas, tamales, and fajitas. If you want a quick and easy meal in the area it'll work for that but it's not worth a special trip or long wait.
drumboy
AG
Brad06ag said:

vansprinkle said:

drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

If El Tiempo is mediocre I want to know what's above average. Yes, they're pricey but the Wednesday special is a good deal.

Not familiar enough with them to know what the Wednesday special is but I'll answer your question...

Cost not withstanding, Pappasitos is the bar, Teotihuacan is spectacular, and Tony's come to mind as better food and honestly weighing value/cost into the equation I'd just as soon go to Pretty much any hole in the wall taqueria before I pay their prices again.

The fajitas I had at our local location were pathetic and I know that's not the usual state of things. Maybe the Kingwood location just isn't up to par yet but the Gessner location was poor as well.

I've not had good experiences near any time I've been AND ordered fajitas. Their enchiladas and other texmex are adequate but still over priced.

Also, and I'll just say it... crappy tortillas.

$32 for fajitas for 2 and queso is the Wednesday special

At this point I'll agree Pappasitos is as good as ET for fajitas but I like ETs margaritas much more and I think Pappasitos raised the house to over $10.

Teos was my go to spot until they raised the prices to almost ET level a few years back. Gonna try again on HH day soon.

We've been going to Tony's almost weekly but they killed their HH and free kids meals on Monday so it's a $100 meal for us. That's why Teos is getting another shot.

Chavez on Gessner is good.

Chavez on Gessner is absolutely awesome. Great price and great food. Just enough fear of being mugged to make it authentic.
Chavez is our go to. Walking distance from the house, so no worries on what we decide to drink.

But that ain't sketchy, definitely not sketchy compared to lots of Spring Branch places.

Unfortunately my wife only went on an off day and horrible service so she won't go back. Oh well don't live over there any longer.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
drumboy
AG
BCG Disciple said:

In my suburban el tiempo experiences (Webster and The Woodlands), they have been sub par to the Richmond and Washington locations. It's been a decade since I was inner loop, but I remember those locations being much better.

I agree. Richmond seems better than WA.
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

TXAG 05
AG
Chewy said:

All the "upper" scale Mexican restaurants run about the same. To split fajitas with a couple margs each my wife and I spend in the ballpark of $100 before tip at all of them unless it's Friday night and I decide to tie one on. This holds true at El Tiempo, Lupe, Pappasitos, Picos, Ninfas, Candente, and the such.

Saw the posting about Tres Amigos. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts. They have a sign that says they're not for profit but not real clue what that means other than the "proceeds" supposedly go somewhere to help some sort of people in need. It's all app ordering where people just bring you food and drinks. You have to pay for chips and salsa and the chips are super thick and greasy.

The food is average as it's your standard tacos, enchiladas, tamales, and fajitas. If you want a quick and easy meal in the area it'll work for that but it's not worth a special trip or long wait.

Agreed on Tres Amigos, I like that you can order another beer from your phone, and the food was good, but nothing special.
mazag08
AG
IDaggie06 said:

phideaux_2003 said:

FtBendTxAg said:

Nothing screams $150 dollar fajita dinner demographic like a shopping center with Conns as the anchor.

Yay! Very expensive mediocre fajitas!!

You got the expensive part right. But they certainly are not mediocre, nice try.

No lie. I'd love to hear they poster say what their favorite fajitas are.

Edit: And apparently they did. Hilarious.
94chem
I don't drive more than 5 miles for TexMex.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
JSKolache
AG
Fry Rd is trash. Vatos arent gonna eat at Tiempo
ATM9000
AG
94chem said:

I don't drive more than 5 miles for TexMex.

Best answer in this thread. Except, I'd say that number should be more like 2 miles unless you are talking round trip.
fishag04
AG
drumboy said:

Brad06ag said:

vansprinkle said:

drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

If El Tiempo is mediocre I want to know what's above average. Yes, they're pricey but the Wednesday special is a good deal.

Not familiar enough with them to know what the Wednesday special is but I'll answer your question...

Cost not withstanding, Pappasitos is the bar, Teotihuacan is spectacular, and Tony's come to mind as better food and honestly weighing value/cost into the equation I'd just as soon go to Pretty much any hole in the wall taqueria before I pay their prices again.

The fajitas I had at our local location were pathetic and I know that's not the usual state of things. Maybe the Kingwood location just isn't up to par yet but the Gessner location was poor as well.

I've not had good experiences near any time I've been AND ordered fajitas. Their enchiladas and other texmex are adequate but still over priced.

At this point I'll agree Pappasitos is as good as ET for fajitas but I like ETs margaritas much more and I think Pappasitos raised the house to over $10.

Teos was my go to spot until they raised the prices to almost ET level a few years back. Gonna try again on HH day soon.

We've been going to Tony's almost weekly but they killed their HH and free kids meals on Monday so it's a $100 meal for us. That's why Teos is getting another shot.

Chavez on Gessner is absolutely awesome. Great price and great food. Just enough fear of being mugged to make it authentic.
Chavez is our go to. Walking distance from the house, so no worries on what we decide to drink.

But that ain't sketchy, definitely not sketchy compared to lots of Spring Branch places.

Unfortunately my wife only went on an off day and horrible service so she won't go back. Oh well don't live over there any longer.

Chavez isn't even the best Tex Mex within 200 yds of their own door.
tmaggies
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

When I think about Katy the image I see is white familys waiting an hour for average mexican food and wives telling everyone on Facebook how great the margaritas are. Maybe a couple kids running around roughshod before the table is ready and every parking space is a tahoe or white f150 doublecab.

White families? You must not have been to Katy lately.
AgCPA95
AG
JSKolache said:

Fry Rd is trash. Vatos arent gonna eat at Tiempo

North of the 8 mile, yes.
Caliber
AG
fishag04 said:

drumboy said:

Brad06ag said:

vansprinkle said:

drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

Juarez or El Gallo fanboy?
drumboy
AG
I get a Tony's bogo margarita coupon every time I check out at Fry Rd HEB so might get hammered for $20 after work.

I hope the Tony's energy corridor location makes it; family seems like good people but they picked a horrible time to rebrand & renovate.

DiskoTroop
Brad06ag said:

fishag04 said:

drumboy said:

Brad06ag said:

vansprinkle said:

drumboy said:

phideaux_2003 said:

drumboy said:

Juarez or El Gallo fanboy?

I was gonna say, DON'T SAY JUAREZ... That place is marginal at best.
David_Puddy
AG
ccolley68 said:

I don't care what anyone says, the pork fajitas are money.

You misspelled beef filet fajitas
BearJew13
AG
Only thing worth a damn there is the margaritas.

Side note, the wife and I incidentally ended up having both Escalante's and Chavez fajitas side-by-side a few weeks ago (both freshly made). Chavez was noticeably better. Don't care for their charo beans though. Pretty much the go-to spot now for us as it's almost* walking distance for us as well.
David_Puddy
AG
If you're at I-10 & Fry might as well just hop on 99 and hit up Lopez
DiskoTroop
BearJew13 said:

Only thing worth a damn there is the margaritas.

Side note, the wife and I incidentally ended up having both Escalante's and Chavez fajitas side-by-side a few weeks ago (both freshly made). Chavez was noticeably better. Don't care for their charo beans though. Pretty much the go-to spot now for us as it's almost* walking distance for us as well.

Often the walk there isn't bad. It's the walk back with a belly full of food and tequila that's tough.
cajunaggie08
AG
David_Puddy said:

no offense to Lopez, but that can be a 40 minute drive from I-10/Fry to Lopez after 5 pm. No tex-mex is worth 40 min of traffic
Hammerly High Dive Crips
drumboy said:

RenoAg said:

Very average tex mex for premium pricing. It isn't terrible food. But it might be the worst value in town.

Candente is better and Pappasitos is comparable in my book. I like Lupes too but half the places around me charge close to the same for much worse.

Edit: dammit I'm not debating this again.
Too chic for me. I need an ambiance that ranges from trashy hole in the wall to cartel-modern.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
David_Puddy said:

Do yourself a favor and drive a little further for the authentic experience of San Antonio's southside.
one MEEN Ag
AG
BCG Disciple said:

In my suburban el tiempo experiences (Webster and The Woodlands), they have been sub par to the Richmond and Washington locations. It's been a decade since I was inner loop, but I remember those locations being much better.
Not all of the locations are managed by the Lorenzo family. Some are franchised out and are garbage. I don't think any of the locations in cypress and further north are family run.

Furlock Bones
AG
David_Puddy said:

Lopez came in as one of all time worst actual vs expectations restaurant I've ever had. Only went once, but I had multiple people tell me how off the charts it was. Trash. Trash. Trash.

As for El Tiempo's, I only go to the Washington location. It's the tits. Anyone that says otherwise is either poor or an idiot.
DiskoTroop
I went to Pappasitos tonight and had their Wednesday night fajita special.

On the special night when they presumedly cook up their lesser pieces of meat and their turn over is super high and the kitchen is slammed... that plate of fajitas is the best in town that I've yet had.

Im only gonna say this one more time... As it specifically pertains to El Tiempo, there is no world wherein the plates of fajitas I've had at El Tiempo (and I've had it many times) will ever hold a candle to what I had tonight.

I've not been to the one on Washington... fair enough. Maybe that's the one. But the several other locations I've been to are 3/10 for me. Sound disappointments.

And after the refresher I had tonight, I renew my claim that Pappasitos is the king.
Onceaggie2.0
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

On the special night when they presumedly cook up their lesser pieces of meat and their turn over is super high and the kitchen is slammed... that plate of fajitas is the best in town that I've yet had.

Im only gonna say this one more time... As it specifically pertains to El Tiempo, there is no world wherein the plates of fajitas I've had at El Tiempo (and I've had it many times) will ever hold a candle to what I had tonight.

I've not been to the one on Washington... fair enough. Maybe that's the one. But the several other locations I've been to are 3/10 for me. Sound disappointments.

And after the refresher I had tonight, I renew my claim that Pappasitos is the king.
you dont like paying quadrple the price to say you eat at El Tiempo??? waaaht?
drumboy
AG
Onceaggie2.0 said:

TheFunnierPhideaux said:

you dont like paying quadrple the price to say you eat at El Tiempo??? waaaht?
I think Pappasito's is comparably priced to El Tiempo.

ET Washington (Richmond is better IMO) was a 45 minute wait yesterday at 6:30. 15 minute wait at Tony's.

DiskoTroop
They're essentially the same. And for that money, there's just no way in hell I'm ever going to ET again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.