Houston
Sponsored by

Opinions on Montgomery and Ben****er Subdivision? [Staff Edit on OP]

11,467 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggwife
HelloUncleNateFitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We want the hell out of Katy, and are looking at the area.

(Bent-water is what's humorously censored in the title)

[Posters that want to answer questions about the area the OP is asking about may post on this threads. Posters that do not have answers about that area do not need to post on the this thread and any poster that derails this thread again will get a ban. That includes complaining about not being able to derail the thread. -There is warning. -Staff]
UndergroundAg
* Ben Dover
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Grew up in Montgomery, used to be a nice but down home country lake town now it's a higher class burb but still has pockets of lake town and country. Bent water is nice great golf nice club but a long way from anything. Lots of people who think they are rich but aren't nearly as well off as they think they are.
aTm2004
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Grew up in Montgomery, used to be a nice but down home country lake town now it's a higher class burb but still has pockets of lake town and country. Bent water is nice great golf nice club but a long way from anything. Lots of people who think they are rich but aren't nearly as well off as they think they are.
So...The Heights of the Suburbs?
TXTransplant
I know a few people who have moved out of The Woodlands and to Montgomery, but not necessarily because the schools are better, but because they are smaller. If you've got kids that want to participate in varsity sports, they have a better chance of being able to do so in Montgomery vs the two Woodlands high schools.

I also know a few people who moved up to the Montgomery/Lake Conroe area from The Woodlands and have since moved back because they were spending so much time commuting back and forth. Everything they wanted to do (or that their kids wanted to do) was in The Woodlands.

As far as outdoor activities, with the exception of actually being on Lake Conroe for boating and fishing, I find it easier to walk/run/hike/bike ride in a master planned community because there are specific trails designated for that.

Personally, I feel like the Conroe/Montgomery area is growing like unincorporated Harris County - meaning everyone is doing their own thing and their is no cohesion. It's a lot of self-contained small developments and strip malls. Traffic sucks.

With that said, if I wasn't so established with my life in The Woodlands, I would consider Woodforest. It's really grown into a beautiful development over the last 8 years. You're not going to get acreage there, though. But you can get a nice house (same builders as in The Woodlands) on a bigger lot for significantly less money (assuming you buy a gently used resale - new construction prices there are just as crazy high as anywhere else).
HelloUncleNateFitch
TXTransplant said:

I know a few people who have moved out of The Woodlands and to Montgomery, but not necessarily because the schools are better, but because they are smaller. If you've got kids that want to participate in varsity sports, they have a better chance of being able to do so in Montgomery vs the two Woodlands high schools.

I also know a few people who moved up to the Montgomery/Lake Conroe area from The Woodlands and have since moved back because they were spending so much time commuting back and forth. Everything they wanted to do (or that their kids wanted to do) was in The Woodlands.

As far as outdoor activities, with the exception of actually being on Lake Conroe for boating and fishing, I find it easier to walk/run/hike/bike ride in a master planned community because there are specific trails designated for that.

Personally, I feel like the Conroe/Montgomery area is growing like unincorporated Harris County - meaning everyone is doing their own thing and their is no cohesion. It's a lot of self-contained small developments and strip malls. Traffic sucks.

With that said, if I wasn't so established with my life in The Woodlands, I would consider Woodforest. It's really grown into a beautiful development over the last 8 years. You're not going to get acreage there, though. But you can get a nice house (same builders as in The Woodlands) on a bigger lot for significantly less money (assuming you buy a gently used resale - new construction prices there are just as crazy high as anywhere else).
Most helpful answer award. Thanks.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
TXTransplant said:

+1 for Woodforest.
tommyjohn
I like Woodforest but the 2978/1488 area is just mess and only going to get worse. How some of those shopping centers get built when the previous one built is only 40% occupied I'll never know.
TXTransplant
tommyjohn said:

I like Woodforest but the 2978/1488 area is just mess and only going to get worse. How some of those shopping centers get built when the previous one built is only 40% occupied I'll never know.

Yep. It's better than it was a few years ago, but that is a really congested intersection. And I have the same question about shopping centers/strip malls. I live between Kuykendahl and Gosling, and it's just as bad around me.
Diggity
AG
Quote:

HelloUncleNateFitch
Lester Freamon said:

TXTransplant said:

+1 for Woodforest.

Any idea what the development will be around the neighborhood / any zoning. It seems nice for a master planned community, but I wouldn't want a bunch of apartments and cheap housing popping up.

After looking into it Ben****er seems more retirement neighborhood, and they have the club fees. I'm liking elsewhere like woodforest, but at least they have the lake insulating them.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Frankly, I don't. We are bordered on the South by Fish Creek which is perennially flooded, on the west is mostly golf course until old 2978, on the north by Ridge Lake Shores and Montgomery Trace (large lots, custom homes), and on the east by the forest and flood plains of the San Jacinto.

Basically between Fish Creek, San Jac, 2978, and 2854 there is not a ton of land to be developed that is pretty insulating. Big concern as mentioned below is 2978/1488 congestion but you can take 45 to 336/2854 and it's about the same commute time wise. If you are going downtown every day.. not great. I commute to the airport area everyday and it's not so bad. We have a new grocery store up here, gym, couple restaurants, the club just went private but amazing golf course. Also easy Lake Conroe/105 access. I have a BIL in April Sound and land near Lake Livingston so it's a great fit for us. All in all, we feel pretty insulated and love the ammenities and neighborhood.
TXTransplant
How close around the neighborhood are you talking? I think the immediate area is pretty safe, but I can guarantee there will be apartments/cheap housing zoned to the same schools. And there are apartments all up and down 1488.

You may be able to Google something like "Woodforest master plan" and see if there are any areas zoned for multi-family. I live in Creekside, and they were very honest/upfront about the development plans. Which leaves me scratching my head wondering why my neighbors get so upset every time an apartment complex starts to go up. It was never a secret...it's just taken 10+ years to get around to building them.

Here you go...

https://www.woodforesttx.com/commercial

That big plot two squares north of the Harvest Market is zoned for apartments. If you click on the orange pins, a box pops up telling you what it's zoned for.
tommyjohn
Woodforest is part CISD (Conroe HS) and part MISD.

The apartments on 1488, from 2978 up to an including Jacobs Reserve are zoned to schools in The Woodlands.

They all advertise Woodlands Schools.
TXTransplant
tommyjohn said:

Woodforest is part CISD (Conroe HS) and part MISD.

The apartments on 1488, from 2978 up to an including Jacobs Reserve are zoned to schools in The Woodlands.

They all advertise Woodlands Schools.
Yes, I wasn't trying to imply the apartments on 1488 were zoned to Conroe or Montgomery. My point with that was those residents are going to be shopping and eating at all the same establishments along 1488 that serve Woodforest.

And I am absolutely sure there are quite a few apartment complexes zoned to Montgomery and Conroe ISD, and there will be more. I watched them build a huge apartment complex right across from Montgomery High School when I was commuting back and forth from The Woodlands and College Station. This was 8 years ago, and I remember wondering at the time why they were building all those apartments in the middle of nowhere. Well, it's not the middle of nowhere anymore.
OnlyForNow
AG
Wow you made a lot of folks angry.

I'll talk about Montgomery
HelloUncleNateFitch
OnlyForNow said:

Wow you made a lot of folks angry.

I'll talk about Montgomery

I'm in a weird position that I can sell my house now for a great price in this market, but buying right now would be awful (as opposed to later in year).

Do you see the high prices in Montgomery (in the nice spots like woodforest, or other) stable, continuing up, or a bubble popping in the near term?

(I don't blame them for being angry. I mean come on, they live in Katy)
Biz Ag
AG
Bent water has as much in common with Conroe as Pasadena does with the Memorial Villages.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
From what I've seen, inventory is fairly low on the MISD side of Woodforest (especially below 500k), but there are houses to be had in the 140-150/sq ft range if you are checking market often. Another good value is April Sound. Haven't looked at prices there lately but BIL bought a 2 story ~2200 sf on the golf course for like 240k there three years ago. Cheap club membership if you want to golf and lake access plus right off 105 and zoned to Montgomery High.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Lester Freamon said:

TXTransplant said:

+1 for Woodforest.
Put me down for a -1 then to balance the scales. HOA sucks, Johnson Development sucks, taxes suck
RingOfive
AG
Lester Freamon said:

From what I've seen, inventory is fairly low on the MISD side of Woodforest (especially below 500k), but there are houses to be had in the 140-150/sq ft range if you are checking market often. Another good value is April Sound. Haven't looked at prices there lately but BIL bought a 2 story ~2200 sf on the golf course for like 240k there three years ago. Cheap club membership if you want to golf and lake access plus right off 105 and zoned to Montgomery High.

Lake Creek High now.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Oh my bad, didn't realize that.
HelloUncleNateFitch
Anyone know expansion plan for 2854? Some nice lots up near Keenan cutoff, but fairly close to 2854 so want to make sure it won't be a freeway.
AgFlyGuy
AG
As far as I'm aware, the only planned expansion was between 45 and 336 which is complete. It wouldn't surprise me that it is eventually done but I'd expect it to be between 336 and McCaleb/Fishcreek first.

Edit: they did just complete the overpass at Keenan Cut off which I believe was designed to assist in the school traffic to Keenan Elem/Oak Hills Jr. High
JoeAggie5
OP,

I don't live there, but travel up there once a week. To me and from what I see going up 2978 is better than staying along 1488. You get some of Magnolia and Montgomery that way.

2978 under construction south of 1488 making traffic awful, I don't know when that will end.

I haven't driven through it (gated), but Grand Lake Estates off Honea Egypt Rd looks pretty nice.

HelloUncleNateFitch
JoeAggie5 said:

OP,

I don't live there, but travel up there once a week. To me and from what I see going up 2978 is better than staying along 1488. You get some of Magnolia and Montgomery that way.

2978 under construction south of 1488 making traffic awful, I don't know when that will end.

I haven't driven through it (gated), but Grand Lake Estates off Honea Egypt Rd looks pretty nice.

Yeah, I'm looking there now actually. Thanks
Project Mayhem
AG
I have a weekend house in Ben****er. The subdivision has an older vibe but I like it there...peaceful and quiet. Been lots of new construction in there lately...I think a lot of people are moving further and further outside of Houston especially with lots more people working from home.
Barnyard96
AG
Project Mayhem said:

I have a weekend house in Ben****er. The subdivision has an older vibe but I like it there...peaceful and quiet. Been lots of new construction in there lately...I think a lot of people are moving further and further outside of Houston especially with lots more people working from home.
When you say older vibe do you mean the people or the architecture?
Premium
AG
We looked in Wood Forest but landed on Lake Windcrest. Near nice HEB, mostly miss the bad traffic since you don't have to turn onto 2978 North. Can also miss traffic getting into The Woodlands taking Tamina to 2978 and then Woodlands Parkway.

That 2978 intersection is not bad if you don't have to go North.
KT_Ag08
AG
But how many black and brown people do you have to deal with or will you have to deal with for the next decade?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
OP, do you really believe there will be no significant crime in The Woodlands as opposed to the SW Katy area?

I live in Cinco with a kid going to Cinco High. Yes, there is crime here. But I have family in Montgomery County, and I have heard of similar incidents there over the years. You can act like Katy folks get all offended, but for me at least that is not the case. I don't give two craps what you think of Katy or whether you leave or not.
ATM9000
AG
Odds that this was speared because OP probably saw one too many brown people for his liking and possibly a car or 2 blasting their car stereos loudly at Katy Mills the day before.

Even funnier 'I'd like to stay under 500 if possible'. Yes... I'm sure that's possible but it means you are likely moving to tract homes elsewhere. Implies a somewhat populated or what will eventually be a somewhat populated area. What's that mean? That's right, your HEB's, Walmart's, 5 Tex Mex places, Whataburger, Chick fila, McDonalds etc etc will follow. And what do the people who work at those places need? Yup! Affordable housing! Apartments incoming!
BQRyno
AG
Moving my family out to Needville. It's pretty far out of town, but that's the point.
Dill-Ag13
AG
We live in The Woodlands and love it. It's the same feel as Katy, however, and I'm regularly passed by BMW kids with nicer cars than mine. Crime is nonexistent if you get away from I45.

I go to a church up north of Woodforest, and can tell you that Woodforest is nice and Montgomery is exploding right now. Move out to Brenham if you want to get out of the city because everywhere within 50 miles of Houston is surging in population.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Lake Windcrest is great. Awesome family neighborhood
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.