Houston
Sponsored by

Layne's Coming to Katy

10,197 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JSKolache
Sooper Jeenyus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BBRex said:

Also a Chicken E at 45 and Airtex.

That makes sense about the Katy location.
The only bad Chicken Express in the U.S.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Aggie71013 said:

Canes is better. Also never sat in line for 20 mins like I did at Laynes. They only serve one item and it wasn't a GameDay. Never should take that long for fast food.
anyone have a copy of the comic strip from The Batt that illustrates this?
tylercsbn9
AG
AMW2010 said:

tylercsbn9 said:

jakeaggie84 said:

Haha. When I heard they were going into the old PDQ building I was more upset that PDQ left than I was excited about laynes. Also sad that the chicken express in Katy lasted less than a year. That is my favorite or the chicken strip places. Mashed potatoes and gravy are the best "dipping sauce".

We're getting a house of pies in the cypress building so I'm excited about that.

Still waiting for the mias table to open on Fry just south of the train tracks. I've heard good things about that place.

And yeah definitely with you on chicken express. Always go to the one in magnolia on the way home from renfest

There's a chicken Express in Tomball, it's only like a year or so old and a lot closer than magnolia

Nice didn't know. Not familiar with that area anymore since I moved away from northpointe and my office moved to the woodlands.
AgCPA95
AG
Thunder18 said:

It was in a terrible location
When franchisee/proprietor started building Chicken Express in that location, buried deep into Cinco Ranch with 1/2 of your customer radius being non-existent as it is Barker Reservoir, I think I face-palmed. Location, local demographics, egress...nothing made sense at all IMO.
cajunaggie08
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Thunder18 said:

When franchisee/proprietor started building Chicken Express in that location, buried deep into Cinco Ranch with 1/2 of your customer radius being non-existent as it is Barker Reservoir, I think I face-palmed. Location, local demographics, egress...nothing made sense at all IMO.
I grew up a few miles from that location. I knew it was doomed from the start due to all the reasons you listed. I think that building has been a few different taco shops now.
jakeaggie84
AG
The katy chicken express was sad. I was walking in with the family when one of the owners came out to tell us they were closed for good. She said it was a bad location and the rules about signage and marketing made it even harder. Why not just get a cheap spot on mason or i10? I need to try the taco place there again.

And I really like Mia's table a lot. Really good options that a more tasty than I though. Didn't realize it was part of the Carrabas family. The chicken fried chicken/steak was really good. And my wife loves the tacos.
Bondag
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Aggie71013 said:

Canes is better. Also never sat in line for 20 mins like I did at Laynes. They only serve one item and it wasn't a GameDay. Never should take that long for fast food.
anyone have a copy of the comic strip from The Batt that illustrates this?
fish: Im getting the chicken strips

So is the car behind me and the car behind him.

Laynes: So you are all together

fish: yea the last guy is paying

Thunder18
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Thunder18 said:

Bingo! Just getting into that parking lot was a PITA if you weren't driving in from the right direction
AgCPA95
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

The katy chicken express was sad. I was walking in with the family when one of the owners came out to tell us they were closed for good. She said it was a bad location and the rules about signage and marketing made it even harder. Why not just get a cheap spot on mason or i10? I need to try the taco place there again.

And I really like Mia's table a lot. Really good options that a more tasty than I though. Didn't realize it was part of the Carrabas family. The chicken fried chicken/steak was really good. And my wife loves the tacos.
The signage and building construction is another great point. That lot is within Cinco Ranch's control so the building requirements (brick/stone exteriors, landscaping) and minimal signage was another huge thing working against them.
Ag06Law
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

Ag06Law said:

tylercsbn9 said:

jakeaggie84 said:

Haha. When I heard they were going into the old PDQ building I was more upset that PDQ left than I was excited about laynes. Also sad that the chicken express in Katy lasted less than a year. That is my favorite or the chicken strip places. Mashed potatoes and gravy are the best "dipping sauce".

We're getting a house of pies in the cypress building so I'm excited about that.

Still waiting for the mias table to open on Fry just south of the train tracks. I've heard good things about that place.

And yeah definitely with you on chicken express. Always go to the one in magnolia on the way home from renfest

I've been waiting for that Mia's to open for months. Slowest construction ever. A little worried about parking theredoesn't seem to be much of it.

Yeah. I don't get it. I could swear it started before covid. I wonder if that slowed it down?

Since I assume you're in the area I took my kids to the burger resort over on house haul. I thought it was great. It was originally going to be another shack but I'm glad it's not. I always hated how the shack doesn't give fries with the burger and if you do want fries basically family size is the only option.

Love having that place around the corner from my house. Hopefully Bridgeland and Blackhorse keep supporting it because it's certainly not the best location. Nice place to grab a few beers and sit outside with a burger on a nice day/evening.

And hopefully one day Bridgeland will finally build their damn town center so I can have a la centerra/market street type place to drive my golf cart to.
Yeah, went to Burger Ranch a few weeks ago and it was solid. They've got plenty of kids stuff so you can just turn them loose and have a few beers in peace.

Agreed on the town center. They've been promising that since we started building in Bridgeland about 4 years ago. Still not sure when it's gonna happen.
NoahAg
Haven't been to Layne's in years so I don't know what it's like now.
Cane's has one thing goin for them: They've got their system down so it takes no time to get through the drive-thru. But their strips are small and dried out.

BTW, I heard from the Layne's former owner that they straight up copied Cane's sauce.
Ezra Brooks
AG
NoahAg said:

BTW, I heard from the Layne's former owner that they straight up copied Cane's sauce.
Not saying you're wrong, but it sounds suspect....

Layne's started in '94, Canes in '96. Both dates pulled from the "About Us" page on their website.
Post removed:
by user
Onceaggie2.0
Ezra Brooks said:

NoahAg said:

Layne's started in '94, Canes in '96. Both dates pulled from the "About Us" page on their website.
ouch
Onceaggie2.0
no love for Golden chick on here?
Thunder18
AG
Golden Chick and Bush's Chicken are both very similar to Chicken E...but for some reason just not quite as good
cajunaggie08
AG
jayelbee said:

cajunaggie08 said:

AgCPA95 said:

Thunder18 said:

I grew up a few miles from that location. I knew it was doomed from the start due to all the reasons you listed. I think that building has been a few different taco shops now.

It's actually been the same taco shop for years. It just changes names sometimes. Best tacos south of I-10 for real though.
Good to know. I remember going there a time or two years ago and thought it was good. I'm glad its doing well.
bluefire579
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

NoahAg said:

Pretty sure they both just ripped off Zaxby's
aTm_bomb
AG
I read this title as Laine Fritz was bringing her educator talents to Katy... Disappointed I'm not getting those reactions here...
Madmarttigan
AG
Don't even remember Laynes tbh, Canes taught me that there is such a thing as bland as hell fried chicken.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TXAG 05 said:

RingOfive said:

What the hell is PDQ?

It was a pretty solid chicken strip place that had stores around town, but they closed them all down for some reason
The location where the Laynes is apparently going in reportedly had some kind of health code violations. Been an empty building for roughly 4-5 years now.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

jayelbee said:

cajunaggie08 said:

AgCPA95 said:

Thunder18 said:

It's actually been the same taco shop for years. It just changes names sometimes. Best tacos south of I-10 for real though.
Good to know. I remember going there a time or two years ago and thought it was good. I'm glad its doing well.
I presume this is referencing the taco shop that is near the intersection of Fry and Westheimer Parkway? If so, yeah, that place has some mighty tasty tacos.
AgCPA95
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TXAG 05 said:

RingOfive said:

What the hell is PDQ?

It was a pretty solid chicken strip place that had stores around town, but they closed them all down for some reason
The location where the Laynes is apparently going in reportedly had some kind of health code violations. Been an empty building for roughly 4-5 years now.

PDQ across from Cinco HS didn't close until Nov 2018, so it hasn't been vacant for that long but interesting nonetheless.

We need more chicken options!
cajunaggie08
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TXAG 05 said:

RingOfive said:

What the hell is PDQ?

PDQ across from Cinco HS didn't close until Nov 2018, so it hasn't been vacant for that long but interesting nonetheless.

I can't speak for the health code issues of that particular location, but it looks like PDQ left Texas all together in 2019. Considering they were founded in 2011, it seems like a case of investors threw money at them and they expanded as fast as they could. I liked them the two times i stopped there, but they had almost zero name recognition and plopped down in some pretty high rent spots around Houston and it probably spread them pretty thin as a company as far as making money back for the investors.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TXAG 05 said:

RingOfive said:

What the hell is PDQ?

I know it was open in 2016, as that was the only time the family and I went in there. Seems like it's been empty for longer than the end of 2018.
94chem
Overpriced snack food. $10 and not enough to eat for fast food. I'll take Jack in the Box.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
mm98
AG
That's a bad spot. Like a consolation prize for not wanting to F with La Centerra parking or congestion.

A few doctors offices. No shopping anchor. And I don't think Cinco has off campus lunch, do they?
cajunaggie08
AG
They didnt when I went there. Granted that was back when it was the only thing west of 99.
cc10106
bluefire579 said:

Ezra Brooks said:

NoahAg said:

Atleast they it improved it if true because Zaxby's sauce is the worst of the 3. LSU played at Kyle Field in '95 on a brutally hot day even by College Station standards, and the timing always seemed interesting with Cane's popping up a year later.

Also, RIP to PDQ's Buffy Bleu sandwich in TX. That thing was money and should have kept them in biz alone.
AgCPA95
AG
They now have Layne's coming soon banners on the building.

JSKolache
AG
Open for business & tasty as ever!

Appears they are still building out the dining space - smaller footprint inside than PDQ had. Service is MUCH quicker than Texas Ave spot in 1998
BohunkAg
AG
cc10106 said:

bluefire579 said:

Ezra Brooks said:

NoahAg said:

Atleast they it improved it if true because Zaxby's sauce is the worst of the 3. LSU played at Kyle Field in '95 on a brutally hot day even by College Station standards, and the timing always seemed interesting with Cane's popping up a year later.

Also, RIP to PDQ's Buffy Bleu sandwich in TX. That thing was money and should have kept them in biz alone.
Zaxby's sucks
Post removed:
by user
The Milkman
AG
Now halal guys is something to get excited about
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Holy crap. That place is outside the grand parkway. I barely go outside the loop let alone the beltway.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.