Houston
Sponsored by

Layne's Coming to Katy

10,196 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JSKolache
StillNotAnAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fatties rejoice!
https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2021/03/aggie-favorite-laynes-chicken-fingers-coming-to-katy
Aggie71013
AG
Canes is better. Also never sat in line for 20 mins like I did at Laynes. They only serve one item and it wasn't a GameDay. Never should take that long for fast food.
cajunaggie08
AG
meh

Its going in across from Cinco HS where PDQ was before they pulled out of Houston. I can see nostalgia driving some early high sales, but they are going to need to pull in great numbers to afford the rent in that spot.
Post removed:
by user
TXAG 05
AG
Never got the hype for Layne's. Unless every time I went there it was an "off" day, it was always tiny, dried up, over fried pieces of chicken, that you had to wait a long time for. They always seemed to be caught off guard when people ordered chicken strips at a chicken strip joint.
Diggity
AG
they had the "Freebirds vibe", where employees being rude and unwashed was supposedly part of the charm.

not sure how that will go over in Katy.
cypress-ag
AG
Lanes vs Canes not much difference...Chicken Express for the win! They offer cream gravy and that makes all the difference in the world, plus the pieces are bigger and juicer.
Diggity
AG
my wife and I have only gotten violently ill after eating at one of those places...and it wasn't Layne's/Cane's
jetch17
AG
RIP PDQ
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Laynes sauce is where it is at. I hope it is as good as I remember and it wasn't just drunken/hungover nostalgia. Not like freaking Katy is much closer to me anyway.
Diggity
AG
just throw some mayo, ketchup, worst + s&p together and you can have it at home!
TXAG 05
AG
Diggity said:

just throw some mayo, ketchup, worst + s&p together and you can have it at home!

You forgot the spit
drumboy
AG
Hopefully they do better than Potato Shack when they opened in clear lake. I was so pumped
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
CincyAg
AG
Layne's
RingOfive
AG
What the hell is PDQ?
TXAG 05
AG
RingOfive said:

What the hell is PDQ?

It was a pretty solid chicken strip place that had stores around town, but they closed them all down for some reason
jetch17
AG
It was a solid convenient lunch ... was weird to watch the sudden downward corporate spiral
TX04Aggie
AG
Yeah PDQ was pretty tasty. I liked the variety there. Weird to see them shutter everywhere in the area
tylercsbn9
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Yeah PDQ was pretty tasty. I liked the variety there. Weird to see them shutter everywhere in the area

Definitely enjoyed pdq. Lots of great sauces. Really curious why they all closed. Always seemed to be somewhat busy. I frequented the one in cypress and one in vintage.
Bondag
AG
CS is almost as convenient as that location, but if I'm in the area is will stop by.

Will they use the original 1990 oil at this location as well?
jakeaggie84
AG
Haha. When I heard they were going into the old PDQ building I was more upset that PDQ left than I was excited about laynes. Also sad that the chicken express in Katy lasted less than a year. That is my favorite or the chicken strip places. Mashed potatoes and gravy are the best "dipping sauce".
tylercsbn9
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

Haha. When I heard they were going into the old PDQ building I was more upset that PDQ left than I was excited about laynes. Also sad that the chicken express in Katy lasted less than a year. That is my favorite or the chicken strip places. Mashed potatoes and gravy are the best "dipping sauce".

We're getting a house of pies in the cypress building so I'm excited about that.

Still waiting for the mias table to open on Fry just south of the train tracks. I've heard good things about that place.

And yeah definitely with you on chicken express. Always go to the one in magnolia on the way home from renfest
Diggity
AG
Food is good, not great, but it's well managed and has something for the kids and adults. I'm sure you'll have a nice playground for the tykes to run around on while the adults drink. Also... Free ice cream!
Ag06Law
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

jakeaggie84 said:

We're getting a house of pies in the cypress building so I'm excited about that.

Still waiting for the mias table to open on Fry just south of the train tracks. I've heard good things about that place.

And yeah definitely with you on chicken express. Always go to the one in magnolia on the way home from renfest

I've been waiting for that Mia's to open for months. Slowest construction ever. A little worried about parking theredoesn't seem to be much of it.
Thunder18
AG
cypress-ag said:

Lanes vs Canes not much difference...Chicken Express for the win! They offer cream gravy and that makes all the difference in the world, plus the pieces are bigger and juicer.

It's one of the great travesties of our time that the Chicken E in Katy was located in such a god-awful location and shut down.
BBRex
AG
How could Katy not keep a Chicken E open?

Even with Layne's opening, I think Slim Chickens will be the next casualty.
tylercsbn9
AG
Ag06Law said:

tylercsbn9 said:

jakeaggie84 said:

I've been waiting for that Mia's to open for months. Slowest construction ever. A little worried about parking theredoesn't seem to be much of it.

Yeah. I don't get it. I could swear it started before covid. I wonder if that slowed it down?

Since I assume you're in the area I took my kids to the burger resort over on house haul. I thought it was great. It was originally going to be another shack but I'm glad it's not. I always hated how the shack doesn't give fries with the burger and if you do want fries basically family size is the only option.

Love having that place around the corner from my house. Hopefully Bridgeland and Blackhorse keep supporting it because it's certainly not the best location. Nice place to grab a few beers and sit outside with a burger on a nice day/evening.

And hopefully one day Bridgeland will finally build their damn town center so I can have a la centerra/market street type place to drive my golf cart to.
JSKolache
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

Yeah but the taco shop is 10x better than Chicken Express was. I stop by every week. PDQ was awesome - that spicy chicken sandwich with pimento cheese...omg. La Centerra is a cluster, glad Laynes will be down the street.
SquanchyAg
Canes is way better than laynes.
AMW2010
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

jakeaggie84 said:

There's a chicken Express in Tomball, it's only like a year or so old and a lot closer than magnolia
aggiedrew08
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

jakeaggie84 said:

Mia's is delicious. We live around 249/Northpointe and go the the one in the woodlands from time to time.
Thunder18
AG
It was in a terrible location
BBRex
AG
Also a Chicken E at 45 and Airtex.

That makes sense about the Katy location.
Flashdiaz
AG
TXAG 05 said:

They always seemed to be caught off guard when people ordered chicken strips at a chicken strip joint.
lol this is exactly the way it is there.

PDQ was ok but was put off when I found out what it stood for which sounds like something you'd find in an early 2000 business powerpoint slide: People Dedicated to Quality
aggiedrew08
AG
I always thought it should have been "Pretty Damn Quick" a much better option.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.