Latest on 45 and 59 expansion downtown?

2,900 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by kubiak03
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whats the latest? I have seen that Hidalgo is fighting it for obviously fighting it displacement reasons, but what is the latest plan for the actual freeways? The most recent one I had seen involved removing 45 through downtown entirely, but I'm guessing since she's fighting about removing housing on the east side its now more about expanding 59?
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They'll have 4' of water in them after 1" of rain.
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does TXDOT really care what Dora has to say?

I sure hope not.
Ocean Of Funk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hidalgo...

Water...

Boobs floating...
Irish 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ocean Of Funk said:

Hidalgo...

Water...

Boobs floating...


Do we need to bring air mattresses and bleach?
jamesf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.ih45northandmore.com/
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That looks like it will sufficiently cluster-F downtown traffic for a good 5 years...
chimpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kenneth_2003 said:

That looks like it will sufficiently cluster-F downtown traffic for a good 5 years...
That's optimistic. How long did the 290 expansion take?
HeightsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aside from TxDOT, does anyone in Houston actually want this? Just seems like a hammer looking for a nail type of thing. Driving through downtown Houston will always be a cluster whether you reroute or not. Would rather not lose access to I45 for a decade or however long.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
there needs to be dedicated express lanes on I-45...that take you from downtown all the way to the beltway.

completely flyover the I-45 / north loop interchange.

maybe take you beyond 1960 or 2920 as well
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

there needs to be dedicated express lanes on I-45...that take you from downtown all the way to the beltway.

completely flyover the I-45 / north loop interchange.

maybe take you beyond 1960 or 2920 as well
Isnt that what Hardy is supposed to be once the project to bring it downtown is done?
TriAg2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HeightsAg said:

Aside from TxDOT, does anyone in Houston actually want this? Just seems like a hammer looking for a nail type of thing. Driving through downtown Houston will always be a cluster whether you reroute or not. Would rather not lose access to I45 for a decade or however long.


IIRC, the Pierce St elevated freeway will be aging beyond its service life if it hasn't already. Some modernization project is required, but... this? It's like the maximum complexity imaginable to advance the narrow special interest of tearing down an urban elevated freeway.
4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

Hidalgo...

Water...

Boobs floating...

We. Have. ROOOOOOOLES!!!
AndesAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HeightsAg said:

Aside from TxDOT, does anyone in Houston actually want this? Just seems like a hammer looking for a nail type of thing. Driving through downtown Houston will always be a cluster whether you reroute or not. Would rather not lose access to I45 for a decade or however long.


If they could snap fingers and it be done I think it would be solid if they found the cash for the greenspace over it all to connect EADO to the convention center/discovery green part of downtown. Was there not too long ago and it has come around better than I had thought.

But it's going to take a decade and ruin going to downtown/midtown/eado. And by the time it's done we will need 2-4 extra lanes on each to keep up with the growth as we have always been a reactionary town on infrastructure and not proactive for the growth we are about to see over the next decade.

I also think having the pierce elevated gone will make the transition from montrose/neartown/midtown pretty cool if they did the parkway/promenade right.

Just my two cents. Extremely glad I do not work downtown and only go to those areas socially for the most part.
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TxDOT has a stranglehold and is solely focused on lanes and more lanes. What I belive the city needs is heavy commuter rail. Not light rail, but heavy rail. They tore out the rail along I10, they could have integrated it into 290.

There was a proposal to build it in the 80s when 59 was expanded. It world have gone from Sugarland to IAH, via downtown and a spur to the Galeria. Then TxDOT commissioner Bob Lanier killed it, promising lanes and more lanes would solve our traffic woes.
BigTex83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Something needs to be done about I45 and I10 exchange for sure. Also, I45 from north to south (and south to north) is a complete mess. If you don't think so, you've never driven it. And it's that way during all normal "being awake" hours, except during the start of COVID lockdown. The more people Houston has, the more cars there will be so don't wind up like Austin's traffic plan.
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cool idea. Let's get a time machine
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

TxDOT has a stranglehold and is solely focused on lanes and more lanes. What I belive the city needs is heavy commuter rail. Not light rail, but heavy rail. They tore out the rail along I10, they could have integrated it into 290.

There was a proposal to build it in the 80s when 59 was expanded. It world have gone from Sugarland to IAH, via downtown and a spur to the Galeria. Then TxDOT commissioner Bob Lanier killed it, promising lanes and more lanes would solve our traffic woes.


Rail isn't going to solve any problems anyway. You can't force people to give up the independence of their cars for a city that's as spread out as Houston. Nobody is sitting on a bus in Houston in the summer to deal with standard clientele's BS.

Look at denton's hard rail. It's ridership is dismal and it's got everything going for it.

And all of this is pre-covid. Ridership has tanked since then.

The answer is more lanes, better lanes, and wait for self driving cars.
tv1113
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HeightsAg said:

Aside from TxDOT, does anyone in Houston actually want this? Just seems like a hammer looking for a nail type of thing. Driving through downtown Houston will always be a cluster whether you reroute or not. Would rather not lose access to I45 for a decade or however long.


There is no reason why your freeway through the heart of the city should ever narrow down to two *********lanes. I constantly wonder what ****** dreamed it up.
Silky Johnston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't believe you monsters support this racist highway!

https://slate.com/business/2021/03/buttigieg-texas-highway-houston-civil-rights.html
Harry Lime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A rich gay white liberal searching the country for things to call racist? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.
atmtws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigTex83 said:

Something needs to be done about I45 and I10 exchange for sure. Also, I45 from north to south (and south to north) is a complete mess. If you don't think so, you've never driven it. And it's that way during all normal "being awake" hours, except during the start of COVID lockdown. The more people Houston has, the more cars there will be so don't wind up like Austin's traffic plan.
I live near The Heights and had a door hanger for a meeting last year about lobbying to bring Hardy toll inside the loop to IH10/Downtown. Wouldn't be a huge improvement, but it would be an improvement. I take Hardy to/from work in Conroe each day, and go against traffic luckily [sunglasses emoji].
agz win
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
atmtws said:

BigTex83 said:

Something needs to be done about I45 and I10 exchange for sure. Also, I45 from north to south (and south to north) is a complete mess. If you don't think so, you've never driven it. And it's that way during all normal "being awake" hours, except during the start of COVID lockdown. The more people Houston has, the more cars there will be so don't wind up like Austin's traffic plan.
I live near The Heights and had a door hanger for a meeting last year about lobbying to bring Hardy toll inside the loop to IH10/Downtown. Wouldn't be a huge improvement, but it would be an improvement. I take Hardy to/from work in Conroe each day, and go against traffic luckily [sunglasses emoji].
Hardy is such a blessing these days from 610 to Conroe with the never ending weekend construction on both 59 and 45. So much better than the HOVs since it has multiple lanes to speed on.
TriAg2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

TxDOT has a stranglehold and is solely focused on lanes and more lanes. What I belive the city needs is heavy commuter rail. Not light rail, but heavy rail. They tore out the rail along I10, they could have integrated it into 290.

Mass transit ridership is a overwhelmingly a function of two factors: 1.) The number of people who live within a quarter mile walk of a transit stop and 2.) The number of people who work within a quarter mile walk of a transit stop.

People won't use mass transit if it requires any more walking, especially not in a climate like Houston. Commuter rail can do a decent job of locating transit stops near employment centers, but Houston's residential areas are too spread out for rail stops to be effective. It's just a hopeless dream. Buses are a far better transit solution for cities like Houston because you can cheaply run them to more neighborhoods than rail ever could.
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DOT halts Texas highway project in test of Biden's promises on race
The department's use of civil rights laws has buoyed activists on the ground and surprised even seasoned regulators in Washington.


https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/01/dot-texas-highway-equity-478864?cid=apn
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thats interesting. So I guess Biden is still all about dat infrastructure, but i guess hes gotta vet it all for how racist the infrastructure might be.
HeightsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great, now our "big dig" will be turned into a political issue and the fact that the whole premise was dumb to begin with will be lost. Sure, something needed to be done about Pierce Elevated and the downtown interchanges but was the only solution to reroute all the traffic to the east side?
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't like Biden basically punishing Houston here, but the 45 reroute was beyond stupid. Just make a flyover from 45 and 610 down across downtown.
kubiak03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's just a shake down and folks want to get their beaks wet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.