Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2021

29,411 Views | 321 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BSME83
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Up $16,420 or 5% in 77389 from 2020. And nothing on my street has sold since July 2019.

Based on the list price of houses that have gone up for sale/under contract in my 'hood in the last few weeks, I'm worried about next year, too.

Looks like just about everyone on my street who has HE got a 4-5% increase. Exception is two of the houses that sold in 2019. It's clear HCAD has their purchase prices and is hitting them with the max 10% to get to that number.
tylercsbn9
AG
30k for me in Bridgeland

Gonna hire a neighbor to fight it. He simply charges $200 flat fee for people in the same hood.

Idiots still have my house 150 sq ft too big. It was 300 but I got it down last year during the protest.
ChemAg15
AG
Don't even have to look to know I'm going to fight it
aTm_bomb
AG
77096 - Westbury

Market up 22% - $70K
Appraised up max 10% - $31K

HCAD is BIG mad after a successful dispute last year.
redag06
Mine is still pending, but all the neighbors increased 10%

None of them protest ever.
jh0400
AG
Up 8% in 77096. I haven't seen a single house around me sell for anywhere near the per sq foot the county says my house is worth.
evestor1
TODAY I WIN!

They have my homestead valued at 63% of real value after new construction finished mid last year! I have fought and probably been close to arrest with these clowns over the years and today i am victorious!!!!!!!!!!!

I have two rentals that stayed even money. One that rose slightly. One rental up from 250-290.
Mr07Ag
AG

Market up 14%
Appraised up 10%

They are definitely trying to put the screws to people this year.
Aggie71013
AG

Market: up 14%
Tax: up 10%
K Bo
AG
018, market and appraised up 7%. I'm closing on a house literally right around the corner on April 16th - up 10% both market and appraised (they'll obviously increase it to my purchase price for '22).
jbryan10
AG
Up 7% in 77077. Need more 7s...
aTm2004
AG
7% in 77345. Eff me. What's the success rate of actually fighting these?
TXTransplant
I've done the online protest twice and gotten my value lowered both times.

I have a realtor friend who gave me comps for sales from the previous year.
aTm2004
AG
Thanks. I may need to find some comps to see what I can pull off.
TXTransplant
aTm2004 said:

Thanks. I may need to find some comps to see what I can pull off.

I think you can also protest based on unequal value (meaning your house is valued more than other comparable houses in your designated area). I have not protested my HCAD value using that argument. I did successfully protest in Brazos County using that reasoning, though.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Market up 14%
Aggie71013
AG
One of the issues I've found with the unequal valuation is if HCAD makes all the houses unreasonably high in an area, this argument fails.

I also have an issue with unequal valuation across neighborhoods. Several neighborhoods around me are consistently under valued compared to sales while mine is constantly overvalued.

The average sale price in my hood for the last 12 months is 88% of my current market PSF. Either my house is the best house in the neighborhood or I'm way overvalued.
TXTransplant
Yeah, I figure you have to have a pretty strong argument for unequal value. But, I know it happens. Seems like there is always one house on my street that is either way under-valued or way over-valued compared to the rest. This year is probably the most "equal" I've ever seen it - although there is still one house that HCAD can't seem to figure out has a pool.
LostInLA07
AG
They somehow don't know I have square footage on the second floor. We are the original owners and haven't made any additions.

Up 8.5%. Going to fight it but don't want to push to hard and they find the extra 800sf!
Diggity
AG
Only bumped me up ~2% this year in 77096.

Ill take it.
slavy06
AG
Up 15% in 77008. Looks like I get to go through the dog and pony show yet again.
Gap
AG
The Federal Government just passed a 3rd covid law, this one valued at $1,900,000,000,000 ($1.9 trillion). Significant funds are transferred to state and local governments as a result because of the pandemic and economic impact.

With all that being said, is the plan for the ISDs, County, etc. to destroy their citizens on property taxes?

cwpaggie07
AG
Up 5% in 77077, right on the line of "is it worth the effort"
LostInLA07
AG
Of course.
TXTransplant
LostInLA07 said:

They somehow don't know I have square footage on the second floor. We are the original owners and haven't made any additions.

Up 8.5%. Going to fight it but don't want to push to hard and they find the extra 800sf!

Not to wander too far from the point of this thread, but I know we live in the same 'hood. A 2200 sq ft home in Liberty Branch went up for sale this week for $499,900. It was under contract within one day, so I'm assuming a full-price offer. That's $226/sq ft! I know there is some new construction in Timarron that's $200-ish, but this house has me scratching my head (and almost makes me want to list mine, just to see what I can get).

https://www.har.com/homedetail/278-rockwell-park-blvd-spring-tx-77389/12189967
Sazerac
AG
Maxed my entire street in 77079
LostInLA07
AG
Liberty Branch seems to command a premium. We are on the west side but homes in our section are selling in days, and a month or two later California or New York license plates appear.
strohag
AG
Almost 9% in 77377
KDubAg
AG
Appraised up 30%.

Did a new patio last summer. Damn permits.
TXTransplant
LostInLA07 said:

Liberty Branch seems to command a premium. We are on the west side but homes in our section are selling in days, and a month or two later California or New York license plates appear.

It does, and I've never understood it. The houses - especially the David Weekley ones - are nothing special. I watched them cut corners when they were built. And all the rear-entry garages have extremely short driveways, and large vehicles have to be contortionists to navigate those alleyways.
LostInLA07
AG
We called that section "Neighborhood Land" when we were house hunting. The parks, walk ability and unique home design sets it apart. We could find a floor plan or lot that worked for us but it reminds me of the magic the developers figured out for East Shore. The margins must have been great. We were VERY close to paying the same price for a smaller home and lot.
Bert315
AG
77450 and up 10% in both. Going to protest as I have neighbors on both sides of us with larger homes and valued 5-10% lower than ours. Worked a couple years ago so hoping it works. Granted we are looking at selling bc we need a bigger home now so might be good to keep appraised up.
Foamcows
AG
Down a few grand in 77007. Doesn't make sense but I'll take it.
SnowboardAg
AG
Up 6.5%
ARB here I go again
Charlie Murphy
SnowboardAg said:

Up 6.5%
ARB here I go again

Full 10% in 77055 as well

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.