Houston
Sponsored by

Restaurant Recommendations Around Willowbrook

5,348 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by n_touch
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RealTalk said:

Texaggie7nine said:

schmendeler said:

Jock 07 said:

There's a really good burger place not many folks know about called becks prime.
it gone. now a fast seafood place called the catch.
Boiled seafood there sucks. Just tried it. Fried might be ok.
They used to be located near Randall's on 1960/Champion Forest. Went there twice and their food sucks. Had gumbo and almost chomped down on a screw.
They have had a lot of problems with franchising and then the owner unexpectedly died a couple years ago. Been a rough go from what I heard.
schmendeler
AG
Ragoo said:

Dang peli peli closed
oh wow, that was their original location. that's strange.
n_touch
schmendeler said:

Ragoo said:

Dang peli peli closed
oh wow, that was their original location. that's strange.
They are doing a different concept by the former owner of the Peli.
schmendeler
AG
did the chef paul guy (i think that was his name?) sell out?
jetch17
AG
Peli peli kitchen on i10 went under too, where the new Jonathan's is going in
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I didn't like Peli Peli.
Ragoo
AG
Ag_N_Houston said:

I didn't like Peli Peli.
the kingklip fish and creme brle were awesome.

Guess galleria is the only one left?
jetch17
AG
think theres ones in katy at LaCenterra
jja79
AG
Captain Tom's 1960 near Perry. Someone mentioned Tony's Italian Pizza on Louetta. It's a dive but it is great.
Daddy-O5
AG
Beat to death I know, but stay out of Willowbrook at night. Vintage or up into Tomball is the way to go. Most of the good spots have already been hit. Not sure if anyone mentioned Willies Icehouse just north of cypresswood, last time I went it was pretty good, not far from the Willowbrook area. 2nd (or 3rd, whatever) Adriatic. Really good chicken parm and the bread is awesome.

If you want to head into Tomball it opens up a lot of other spots already mentioned. I used to recommend Rib Tickler but rumor has it it's gone down hill since it changed ownership.

ETA: Locatellis for pizza on Louetta/Jones. A bit out of your way but good pizza. Used to be one in Tomball but I think it's gone.
lb sand
AG
I haven't seen mentioned on this thread, campioni's on cutten rd.

It decent, not expensive Italian.
My parents still live in the area and go there at least every other week.
Greenchiles
AG
When's the last time you been by Swanny's? You might want to leave your clubs behind for your next visit.
OCEN99
AG
For Italian, make the trip up to Gianna's in Tomball.
Texaggie7nine
12thmayne said:

When's the last time you been by Swanny's? You might want to leave your clubs behind for your next visit.

Last week. It's now a short driving range with tracking technology.
7nine
Daddy-O5
AG
Somehow never tried this myself. Several people have recommended though.
Greenchiles
AG
Interesting. It use to be my "office" on Fridays but haven't been back since they got rid of the driving range...or shortened it and removed the chipping greens.
Texaggie7nine
Still have a chipping green, full of cabbage but still chippable.
Great beer selection.
7nine
AgCPA95
AG
jetch17 said:

Unfortunately it has now closed as well.
shihitemuslim
AG
If you guys like beers 11 below is a craft brewery that is awesome. One of the partners is an Aggie
Bassmaster
AG
AgCPA95 said:

jetch17 said:

Unfortunately it has now closed as well.
There is one in The Woodlands.
Texaggie7nine
Just got an ad email from Peli Peli. Looks like Galleria and Woodlands are their only locations now.
7nine
tlfw378
AG
Ragoo said:

Dang peli peli closed

Dang...is right.
randy828
AG
Also, be sure to hit up Eleven Below Brewery near Willowbrook. If I remember correctly, at least two of the owners are Aggies.

Good beers and they have food trucks come...check their website.

http://www.11belowbrewing.com/

EDIT...sorry..didn't see page 2, so +1 on 11Below. And dang about Peli Peli...haven't been to Vintage in awhile.
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
BBRex
AG
I like 11 Below, but you better plan your trip in advance. Their hours suck.
Coog97
Out of college, buddy of mine and I met weekly for beer, wings and Monday Night Football for almost 20 years. The first few years, the SRO at 1960 & Cutten was our regular MNF spot. After that went down the crapper, we spent a couple of years at the original Wolfies on 1960 at Stuebner / Veterans Memorial... only time I've ever had my car broken into was in their parking lot. That was the end of our run there.

A lot of good times over the years... now, I wouldn't consider going anywhere near that part of town.
one MEEN Ag
AG
There's a video on instagram of a shoot out happening on Gessner and 249 from a month or two ago in the middle of the day. Cars are in traffic and hoodrats just show up and start blasting each other across the median.

There's a reason people keep moving further and further out.
Texaggie7nine
Precious bubble people
7nine
one MEEN Ag
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Precious bubble people
You seem the type to embrace gunfire and break ins as part of a cities 'character' I take it?

That part of Houston is going to keep going downhill. I grew up there. HP's moved out. Chevron isn't going to turn Noble's office into a new Chevron hub. What used to be a really nice, quiet area 20 years ago has gone to *****

The trend is established. Companies are moving to two areas of Houston: Up 45 to the woodlands and out I-10 to towards Katy. People with money are moving to five major areas, The Woodlands, Katy, Bridgeland/Towne Lake, 610 on the west side, and League City. They're either chasing jobs, bars, or retirement. 249 is getting divested from.

Texaggie7nine
Man. Willowbrook area must have touched you as a kid.
7nine
slimjimsims
AG
Lil Woodrow's opened up a spot on the North Bound Feeder at the last free exit on 249. It was packed and they have some food trucks and anything you want to drink.
Premium
AG
Willowbrook is where I earned my street smarts throughout the 90's
Rexter
Los Reyes
5050 Fm 1960

Used to eat there regularly when I worked at Monkey Wards in the mall in the mid 80s.
Hopefully the food is still good. Owner's name back then was Voyo, or something like that.
n_touch
For the Peli Peli fans

https://communityimpact.com/houston/spring-klein/impacts/2021/04/06/peli-peli-founder-chef-paul-friedman-returns-to-vintage-park-with-new-concept
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.