Houston
Sponsored by

Pet Adoption or purchase question

2,139 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MaroonDontRun
Legalize-It-Ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone know the best way to go about purchasing or adopting a puppy in the Houston area without breaking the bank? Preferably a larger breed like a golden retriever, lab, or husky. Some kind of mix would be great too!
AgLiving06
Check the Houston Humane Society.

That's were we got our dog from and they generally have quite a few larger pups there.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Put some food outside your door. In less than a week, you will have a couple of dogs, several cats, and a possum.
streetfighter2012
AG
We adopted our last two dogs from Animal Justice League. Could also look at K9 Angels and Houston Pets Alive.

Because you can't have a dog/puppy thread without photos.

Ragoo
AG
Believe Friends For Life will let you foster. Gives you the ability to test drive having a dog without the commitment. You could also convert the foster into adoption.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
https://www.houstonspca.org/adopt/available-pets/

they usually have big dogs
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
What about buying a puppy? Something that doesn't support places like the puppy station in the cstat mall.
KDubAg
AG
https://www.houstonspca.org/

Houston SPCA will usually have a variety of small to large dogs.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
We did the SPCA and walked out with our pup for $88 bucks two years ago! The best investment
Whoop Delecto
AG
TriAg2010
AG
+1 for the Houston Humane Society

And don't get tricked into going to browse. You'll meet a heart-stealer. If there's a heaven, it'll be spent with that dog at my side.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Pets are expensive, esp big dogs. Make sure you know what the annual costs are before getting one if worried about breaking the bank. Just did a hip replacement on a 5yr old GSD, to the tune of about $6k. Followed by 4 months PT to rehab her and she's now in her final 2 weeks.
KDubAg
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Pets are expensive, esp big dogs. Make sure you know what the annual costs are before getting one if worried about breaking the bank. Just did a hip replacement on a 5yr old GSD, to the tune of about $6k. Followed by 4 months PT to rehab her and she's now in her final 2 weeks.

Not meaning to derail but we have a Great Dane and know typically large dogs have large medical bills. We have Nationwide Pet Insurance that seems to work out well for us. Different plans cover different things. A lot of people don't know you can get medical insurance for pets. Just passing on info.

To the OP, I get FB notices from Rosenberg Animal Control and Shelter too with pet adoption available.

I'm curious on what you decide to do and share a pic of the new fur addition to the family. Good luck.
Vogon Poet
AG
If you've never owned a Husky (it's actually the other way around) you should research the breed first.

Google "owning a husky". They're not for everyone.
randy828
AG
I know you said the Houston area, but we found our boy here:

https://www.facebook.com/UrgentHearnePets/

The lady that runs it will give you a hard time to make sure you are serious.

And any excuse to make a couple of road trips up to College Station was perfect for me. And the only costs was the snipping and first heartworm/flea medicine that we paid their vet on pick up. I couldn't believe that.
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
AlaskanAg99
AG
KDubAg said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Not meaning to derail but we have a Great Dane and know typically large dogs have large medical bills. We have Nationwide Pet Insurance that seems to work out well for us. Different plans cover different things. A lot of people don't know you can get medical insurance for pets. Just passing on info.

To the OP, I get FB notices from Rosenberg Animal Control and Shelter too with pet adoption available.

I'm curious on what you decide to do and share a pic of the new fur addition to the family. Good luck.
We looked into pet insurance when we rehomed our older GSD (we have 3) about 7 years ago. At that time the insurance packages didn't cover much other than routine care. So we setup a direct deposit account for the dogs and figured out their annual expenses (vet bills, food, treats, toys) and we both put into it per paycheck. Sure for 3 dogs it's up there, but our 2nd dog we picked up as a puppy had surgery on 3 of her legs before she was 1.

So it's a complete and total crapshoot because this dog was just a effin' klutz. She's also the one that just had her hip replaced.

Our 3rd dog I pulled off the street, he was 42lbs and maybe a year old. He's now 65lbs and lean and mean, he was abused and really doesn't care for anyone other than the 5 people he sees the most often. He loves the **** out of me though but pretty much hates all other men. Oh, and he had ring worms, hook worms and heart worms. We're still treating him for heartworms and he needs his balls removed and then try to send him to training.

Anyway, they're not cheap. Love the **** out of my mutts though and they're worth every penny. I sleep really well at night knowing they're around, even if they do have false alarms occasionally.
KDubAg
AG
Yea, pet insurance for three would be pretty high. I think the policies have changed and has included different operations, meds, neuter/spay etc. if we had multiple dogs, we would probably do a separate account as well. I find myself looking for rescued English mastiffs. We had one that passed away a few years ago. Best dog I've ever had. This Great Dane is is fun and goofy too. Good luck and enjoy the dogs. I like dogs more than people almost. Lol.
K_P
AG
Golden Retriever Acres Senior Sanctuary (GRASS). They have a lot of golden "mix" dogs (most of which were very hyper when we visited), but we found a purebred golden who has been great. He was 10 when we adopted him and he's 14 now. His previous owner had died. I love chill older dogs. He has been a great fit for us.
swimmerbabe11
after trying to work with lots of different rescues, I went to the county shelter. I love my little man.
MaroonDontRun
AG
We got our little guy from K-9 angels. We were actually foster failures because the little guy stole my heart within one day..

K-9 Angels
chiken
AG
BARC animal shelter sold us our dogs on a BOGO almost 7 years ago. We got two 8 week old pups for $75!
MrWonderful
AG
Another good organization. Rescued a flatcoat retriever from them a few years back

https://www.grrh.org/

AgSportsFan89
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

We got our little guy from K-9 angels. We were actually foster failures because the little guy stole my heart within one day..

K-9 Angels

We got our boy from K9 Angels too. They save dogs from "death row".
sixiron
AG
Legalize-It-Ags said:

Does anyone know the best way to go about purchasing or adopting a puppy in the Houston area without breaking the bank? Preferably a larger breed like a golden retriever, lab, or husky. Some kind of mix would be great too!

If you're interested in an Australian Cattle Dog/Shepherd mix that is about 7 months old, my wife and I are looking to have him re-homed because of her allergies that weren't an issue with our previous dog. Real good sweet dog that we rescued from a shelter about 3-4 months ago.
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

We got our boy from K9 Angels too. They save dogs from "death row".
Our boy and his sister were both rescued from the pound. We took them both in as fosters but amazingly the two siblings got into horrendous fights even at 6 weeks old so we had to send her to a different foster home.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.