Houston
Sponsored by

2 hpd shot, 1 killed.

1,703 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Goodest Poster
lb sand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw this on f16

HPD SGT KILLED AFTER HARRIS COUNTY DA ORDERS SHOOTERS RELEASE TWO-DAYS AGO AND HIS BULLETS RETURNED TO HIM
Posted by Scott Engle
Date: October 20 2020, 2:04 pm

HPD Sergeant Harold Preston was killed in the line of duty today. Sgt. Preston has been with the Houston Police Department for 41-years and was due to retire at year-end. As tragic as that is, his death was 100% preventable. His partner also was shot and will survive his injuries. In addition, the shooters own 14-year-old son was shot. The suspect, Elmer Manzano, a convicted felon with multiple prior assaults on his record was in custody, detailed just a day before this tragedy occurred. On October 18, HPD Officers responded to a call from Mrs. Santos, stated that her ex-husband, Elmer Manzano, was at the location brandishing a gun threatening Mrs. Santos and her children. HPD Officers took Elmer Manzano into custody that day but Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg declined to take charges, instructing Officers to release him, and return the six bullets he had in his pocket, he was also allowed to keep his gun which he claimed was locked in his safe. Had charges been accepted, Mr. Manzano might be back on the street, but his gun and ammunition would have been seized and held as evidence. No gun would have meant no dead officer and injured officer.
Today, responding to another call from Mrs. Santos, Officers responded. Mr. Manzano answered the door with gunshots at point-blank range. The two officers and Manzano's 14-year-old son were hit. 100% preventable. The actions of Harris County DA Kim Ogg are inexcusable. While Mr. Manzano pulled the trigger, Kim Ogg put the gun in his hands. Her actions are directly responsible for the death of HPD Sergeant Harold Preston.
Citizens mourn the tragic and senseless loss of HPD Sergeant Preston They have an opportunity to ensure this does not happen again. DA Ogg's fate is in the hands of Harris County voters NOW. She is on the ballot today. Vote to keep your streets, your neighborhoods, your homes, and your family safe. Vote to keep the men and women of law enforcement from preventable perils. Vote to hold Kim Ogg responsible for HPD Sergeant Preston's death.

What a tragedy.
http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/hpd-sgt-killed-after-harris-county-da-orders-his-release-two-days-ago-and-his-weapon-returned-to-him-2/
Guitarsoup
AG
Kim Ogg strikes again
lne2011
AG
F*** Ogg. I hope her ass gets voted out.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
lne2011 said:

one can argue that it isn't as much ogg as it is the voters who elected her. from that standpoint...good luck.
lne2011
AG
ruddyduck said:

lne2011 said:

one can argue that it isn't as much ogg as it is the voters who elected her. from that standpoint...good luck.

Yep. As pissed as I am, I don't have a lot of confidence she will be ousted this election. She's just another Soros campaign funded DA following orders to catch and release violent offenders.

She has a long history of stuff like this happening. So, you would think people notice, eventually...
tylercsbn9
AG
If only Biden was president we'd have social workers on the scene to solve these problems
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
unfortunately most people aren't quite as thoughtful and critical with who they cast a ballot for as say the average texags poster. just your team vs my team mentality without the ability to articulate either side.

now the people who are aware and still vote for people like ogg scare me.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Just curious, assuming the facts stated in the article are true, what charges would he be arrested under?

The article says he only had bullets in his pocket and his gun was reportedly locked in his home safe. I would assume that's true, or else they would've found the gun on his person. Can you arrest someone and take their weapons just for yelling outside their ex-wife's home while having bullets in their pocket?

Obviously the end result is a tragedy, but seems like a bit of a stretch to arrest someone for that. I'm very uninformed in the local laws, so maybe there is something that would clearly apply here. Curious to hear what our local Texags legal scholars have to say.
htxag09
AG
I agree. On the surface it looks bad. But it's kind of a gray area.

One thing I noticed, though. It says the police ran a background check on him and all came back clear. But it also said he was arrested 15+ years ago for felony evading arrest. Wouldn't that have made it illegal for him to own a gun?
lb sand
AG
Arrested vs convicted maybe?
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Mrs. Santos, stated that her ex-husband, Elmer Manzano, was at the location brandishing a gun threatening Mrs. Santos

Though HPD report said officers didn't think a crime occurred. No DA would press charges in that situation
Ag_07
AG
Yep...HPD didn't have the evidence and stated no crime had occurred.

Butn isn't it the DAs office that needs to be making that call?
jopatura
AG
Ag_07 said:

Maybe? I could see a situation where the cops roll up to the first DV scene, find no gun but bullets in the pocket. It's not a stretch to think that he probably was waving the gun around before the wife called the cops. In my experience with DV and my roommate in college, the cops usually would haul her boyfriend away without much evidence under a DV charge (he would bang on our apartment door for hours, sit outside next to our cars, follow us around town). He'd always be let out a day or two later and it would never make it to arraignment. I always assumed it was DV's version of a drunk tank.
Jock 07
AG
Time for some "peaceful" protests at that ***** Kim oggs house.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i was trying to be nice.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
jopatura said:

Ag_07 said:

Maybe? I could see a situation where the cops roll up to the first DV scene, find no gun but bullets in the pocket. It's not a stretch to think that he probably was waving the gun around before the wife called the cops. In my experience with DV and my roommate in college, the cops usually would haul her boyfriend away without much evidence under a DV charge (he would bang on our apartment door for hours, sit outside next to our cars, follow us around town). He'd always be let out a day or two later and it would never make it to arraignment. I always assumed it was DV's version of a drunk tank.

Seems like that's what happened in this instance.
W
AG
very sad news.

41-year veteran. Which means he joined up when HPD was at its low point following the Torres / Moody Park / Webster incidents in the late 70's
Goodest Poster
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

If only Biden was president we'd have social workers on the scene to solve these problems

Could have mediated and de-escalated the situation where instead each party just shot each other in the leg.

#VOTERED
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.