Houston
Sponsored by

White Oak MKT bridge burns

9,327 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Texan_Aggie
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is annoying. My guess is it will take months to repair. Probably started by the people that camp in the area.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/pedestrian-bridge-catches-fire-along-white-oak-bayou-near-i-10/285-c1fac60b-bbc6-4d4b-b52a-1d3114b54da7
drumboy
AG
Hopefully it's fixed soon. I remember it catching on fire about 10 years ago when I lived by it.
htxag09
AG
They've been doing construction right there the last several months. Wouldn't be surprised if a construction crew started it.
TarponChaser
htxag09 said:

They've been doing construction right there the last several months. Wouldn't be surprised if a construction crew started it.
HFD friend says it looks like it started from the homeless camp there.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
August in Houston. You can go investigate the cause of the fire, or you can stay in the truck and blame it on some bums.
Diggity
AG
Gonna have to start calling em bridgeless...am I right?
Texan_Aggie
AG
When did we start calling it MKT? Must be all the heights people living west of Shepherd
drumboy
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

When did we start calling it MKT? Must be all the heights people living west of Shepherd
Lol, I'm one of these west of Durham folks and I call it the Heights bike trail. I think MKT was the railroad designation or something.

Just ordered a kit to convert one of my bikes to an E Bike so I'll be able to cruise at 40 mph the long way to downtown or Saint Arnold.
wessimo
AG
What do you call the one that runs along Nicholson?
htxag09
AG
I run and cycle that bridge and the white oak trail that runs near that bridge multiple times a week. I've never noticed a homeless camp under that bridge. Now there are homeless people all around, a large camp in the brush between I-10 and the apartments, for example.

The pictures I saw seems the fire was right under where the construction workers had their makeshift lift on the bridge.
LRHF
AG
Terrible news, hope they can assess the damage, repair and open again soon.
BohunkAg
AG
drumboy said:

Texan_Aggie said:

Lol, I'm one of these west of Durham folks and I call it the Heights bike trail. I think MKT was the railroad designation or something.

Just ordered a kit to convert one of my bikes to an E Bike so I'll be able to cruise at 40 mph the long way to downtown or Saint Arnold.
Right....MKT was the old Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (the Katy Railroad). Historic railroad that served Texas back in the day.
Diggity
AG
and some say the basis for the naming of Katy, TX
Mikeyshooter
AG
BohunkAg said:

drumboy said:

Texan_Aggie said:

Right....MKT was the old Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (the Katy Railroad). Historic railroad that served Texas back in the day.
The trail has always been called the MKT trail because it is located within the old MKT railroad ROW.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

BohunkAg said:

drumboy said:

Texan_Aggie said:

The trail has always been called the MKT trail because it is located within the old MKT railroad ROW.
We usually just call it the Heights Hike and Bike Trail or White Oak. I have never heard anyone refer to it as MKT trail, which is why I assumed it was referred to after the new MKT development.
Bondag
AG
I call it the Heights Trail, White Oak Trail, or Heights Hike and Bike. I have lived close to "MKT" my entire life and have never heard it referred to as that.
Jet Black
Heights Hike & Bike Trail is what I always called it. I live about 25 yards away from it on Rutland.
chico
AG
here's a link - former train bed, converted to hike/bike & called MKT
bike trail

I think the money to do this is federal. There are a lot of rails-to-trails in the US. The first one in Houston is/was the Harrisburg rails-to-trails, that lies between Harrisburg & Canal, east of Milby.
wessimo
AG
I call the portion that runs along the former rail line the MKT bike trail, the one that runs along WOB the WOB trail, and the one that runs along Nicholson the Nicholson bike trail.
PeekingDuck
AG
Yeah, they're everywhere. Brooklyn high line was the last one I was on and it was pretty sweet. NYC is a **** hole though.
wessimo
AG
Hard to say how burnt the supports are.
Foamcows
AG
Guess we will find out on Tuesday how strong the bridge is
JJxvi
AG
This is the easternmost bridge at Studemont, right? I believe the bridge that burned years ago was the western bridge just east of Eureka Yard (at TC Jester). They built a completely new bridge i think at that location because of it.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Yes. They had been doing construction on it anyway to replace the supports with cement (as seen in the picture). I wonder if they'll just replace everything at this point.
12thAngryMan
AG
If you are coming from the White Oak portion of the trail (i.e., not directly using the bridge), can you still use it to get across to the Sawyer area, or is that closed too?
Bondag
AG
The bridge at top of hill South to Sawyer Area Is Open.

The bridge North to Heights is closed.

There was a dead body under the bridge at the bayou yesterday.
TarponChaser
Bondag said:

The bridge at top of hill South to Sawyer Area Is Open.

The bridge North to Heights is closed.

There was a dead body under the bridge at the bayou yesterday.
Sooooo, just a normal day, right?
kansas02gt
AG
Quote:

We usually just call it the Heights Hike and Bike Trail or White Oak. I have never heard anyone refer to it as MKT trail, which is why I assumed it was referred to after the new MKT development.
2nd to @Diggity.

Grew up in the vortex that is Katy; Katy Elementary, Jr High and High School.

Katy is named after a daughter I believe..don't quote me on that.

Katy was also the main switching hub; why do you think Waller, Ft Bend and Harris Counties all converge there...
Bondag
AG
Diggity
AG
Yeah, there are two prevailing stories about how the city was named. I don't think there was much consensus there IIRC.

This coming from a Nottingham Country until Pattison opened, then Memorial Parkway, but not Taylor guy.
htxag09
AG
Per a nextdoor update, repairs are starting tomorrow, which will probably be delayed because of weather.

And the nextdoor post is a circle jerk congratulating the city on getting this done. Only took 10 months to get permits for the repair approved!!!!

Quote:

UPDATE: MKT Bridge/Heights Hike & Bike Trail. Houston Parks Board has great news to share! As you know, the MKT hike-and-bike bridge has been closed due to damages sustained by a fire in August 2020.

Since then, at the request of the City, they have been working diligently on shepherding the repair plans through the permitting process. They are pleased to share those plans have been approved, and repair activities on the site could start as early as this TOMORROW, June 4.

Repairs include the replacement of damaged bridge piles, the abutment backwall, and deck expansion joint. The estimated time frame is 60-90 days, weather permitting.

Houston Parks Board appreciates the patience of surrounding community members and those who have been utilizing the detour for several months. The detour will remain in place during construction.

They understand the MKT bridge is an important connection for the Heights Hike and Bike Trail and White Oak Bayou Greenway, and they look forward to seeing our community back out on the bridge soon!
wessimo
AG
About frickin time
Stat Monitor Repairman
So let me get this straight.

The Houston Parks Board is blaming the delay on the City of Houston permitting process?
Sea Speed
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

So let me get this straight.

The Houston Parks Board is blaming the delay on the City of Houston permitting process?

But they had plenty of time to get this put up on their website. Maybe put the diversity director in a permitting role and the millions of users of the bridge who have been displaced for the last 10 months wouldn't have had been put out.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Bridge will be open just in time for the hottest part of the year, awesome!

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.