Houston
Sponsored by

Conroe ISD Online until at least Sept

1,788 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tommyjohn
videoag98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Conroe ISD has made the decision to begin the school year on August 12, 2020, with ALL students in Remote/Online Instruction only. Traditional In-Person Instruction is scheduled to begin no earlier than September 8, 2020.

https://www.conroeisd.net/update-from-conroe-isd-2020-2021-school-year/
tylercsbn9
AG
Cy fair starts two weeks later. I hope they just offer in person option from the start but if not just delay the start date two weeks and add two days in June. They have an 8 day buffer/ bank via adding minutes to the day.

Of course unless comrade Dora doesn't force them closed beyond her stupid ass letter
Bassmaster
AG
So weak. You could tell this was in the works when the Superintendent had his last YouTube event.
JBenn06
AG
So stupid. How are these school districts going to do remote learning with Kindergarteners?
videoag98
AG
I have no idea how this is going to work. This is such a cluster. My wife is a teacher in Montgomery, and they usually follow Conroe, but haven't heard yet what they are doing. Kindergarten, have no idea how it will work
LostInLA07
AG
Online Kindergarten is the ultimate box checking. Good luck getting 5 year olds to spend more than 5 minutes with online school!
bad93ex
They delayed it because of a spike in cases which have already starting to trend down.
tommyjohn
I fully expect this delay to be extended as well.

RingOfive
AG
Same for Magnolia ISD.
LB12Diamond
AG
Did not see anything with regards to extracurricular. Anyone in the know?
redag06
I heard from a football coach friend, that the rumor is UIL is prepared to reduce days between games to 5 days.
dubberage
SBISD is about to do the same. Delayed until Sept. 8. But in reality i don't see that happening either. I don't see cases going done enough in Harris County, so they will delay again. And then October hits and they'll say lets just do online learning. Kids aren't going back until January i bet. I need some Phucumol!
JYDog90
AG
LostInLA07 said:

Online Kindergarten is the ultimate box checking. Good luck getting 5 year olds to spend more than 5 minutes with online school!

Someone told me about their kid going on a virtual mission trip. They got their bkfst and then got on a zoom call and ate together. Then they would do a craft project like a door hanger inviting someone to church and then they'd get on a zoom call and talk about their feelings. The mom said, "what are we doing? Nothing but teaching our kids to phone it in and go through the motions in life. "
Bondag
AG
LostInLA07 said:

I need to buy stock in Trolls then get them to start releasing episodes where the characters have to count to 10 and learn the alphabet.
TXTransplant
If I had a kindergarten-aged kid, I'd seriously consider finding a private religious or Montessori-type school to put them in for this year, assuming any are open.

If you have a kid who has been in preschool and can read, do simple math, or really do anything more than write their name and address, K in the public schools will be a disappointment anyway.
94chem
TXTransplant said:

If I had a kindergarten-aged kid, I'd seriously consider finding a private religious or Montessori-type school to put them in for this year, assuming any are open.

If you have a kid who has been in preschool and can read, do simple math, or really do anything more than write their name and address, K in the public schools will be a disappointment anyway.

skipping kindergarten, buying a $40 Android tablet, and saving some money.
TXTransplant
94chem said:

TXTransplant said:

skipping kindergarten, buying a $40 Android tablet, and saving some money.

That assumes you have a parent who can stay home. I didn't have that luxury.
Panama Red
AG
Not worried about "virtual" kindergarten online at all. My daughter was one of the top students in her class. Her preschool teacher taught 3rd grade for the past few years before moving this past year. During our conferences with her, she would tell us how our daughter was reading at the level of the 3rd graders she's had in the past and having to be pulled aside for advanced math instruction and assignments because she was grasping it much easier than others in her class. I believe the teacher, and don't think the $40k we pay her had anything to do with it.
94chem
Panama Red said:

Not worried about "virtual" kindergarten online at all. My daughter was one of the top students in her class. Her preschool teacher taught 3rd grade for the past few years before moving this past year. During our conferences with her, she would tell us how our daughter was reading at the level of the 3rd graders she's had in the past and having to be pulled aside for advanced math instruction and assignments because she was grasping it much easier than others in her class. I believe the teacher, and don't think the $40k we pay her had anything to do with it.
My kids all read at 5th grade or higher level at that age, but they preferred Soviet-era technical manuals and Chaucer.
tommyjohn
The super just had a meeting about the delay. They have all intention to be back on campus by the 8th of Sept.

They talked about a plan but it is no plan and just hope. I have more questions now than I did before and he talked for over an hour.

Guy made it so much harder on himself. Don't talk about a plan if you don't have one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.