Houston
Sponsored by

KISD Releases "Smart Restart"

7,071 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
Gator92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.katyisd.org/returntoschool/Pages/default.aspx

Cliff Notes:

Two options:

In Person w/ masks and social distancing or KVA. Katy Virtual Academy

Have to commit to one or the other for grading period.
Extra and co-curricular activities before or after school.

Punting to TEA and UIL guidelines for testing, quarantine etc.

Many unanswered questions.

jakeaggie84
AG
Glad they are being somewhat a leader as most seem to be going 100% online around here. Can't wait to send my kids back. And they can't wait to go back.
TxKng82
AG
That's pretty much what most districts around here will be doing. Cy Fair hasn't announced it but that is their plan as of now.
mazag08
AG
Smart restart

1. Unplug from wall
2. Wait 10 seconds
3. Plug back in
BCSGrubber
AG
RebelE91
AG
The local outrage mafia is going to need some lotion from wringing their hands over the in-person classes. But I'm glad to see Katy has the option. FBISD is going virtual for the first 6 weeks. Which probably means the entire year.
gougler08
AG
RebelE91 said:

The local outrage mafia is going to need some lotion from wringing their hands over the in-person classes. But I'm glad to see Katy has the option. FBISD is going virtual for the first 6 weeks. Which probably means the entire year.
Where'd you see 6 weeks? TEA guidelines only allow 3...
RebelE91
AG
Quote:

Heard it on the radio this morning. But on further research, I'm not seeing the duration.

gougler08
AG
RebelE91 said:

Quote:

Heard it on the radio this morning. But on further research, I'm not seeing the duration.
Thanks! Just making sure I wasn't missing anything...I can't wait to try and work / get my kindergartner to do online learning so if it goes further than 3 weeks I may go nuts
FarmerJohn
AG
It'll be interesting to see what happens when school districts run into the funding wall for in person teaching.
Post removed:
by user
GoAgs92
AG
If a school gets closed the kids just get the same canvas based lessons as last semester...seems like a PITA to switch back and forth...i dont know anyone who has done KVA
aftershock
Man I just don't feel good about planting my first grade kid in front of a computer screen for 6+ hours a day. Not to mention the amount of help she's gonna need, not only with school, but operating the system. Sounds like a nightmare.
jenn96
AG
aftershock said:

Man I just don't feel good about planting my first grade kid in front of a computer screen for 6+ hours a day. Not to mention the amount of help she's gonna need, not only with school, but operating the system. Sounds like a nightmare.

How is that even possible? My second grader won't even sit in front of a computer watching YouTube for 3-4 hours; she gets bored with watching. But somehow schoolwork is going to keep her enthralled? There's no online program that exists that's interactive enough to keep a 6-7 year old interested for that long. Hell I don't like online training myself in huge chunks and I'm a grownup.
FarmerJohn
AG
Not for Pre-K through 2nd. That's not eligible for remote instruction finding. Makes sense. And in the auditing of attendence, seems a lot easier to be marked as not present, especially if parents go back to work. Both of those will start putting a drain on school budgets.
jokershady
AG
Lamar Consolidated is giving parents the option....can chosen to do either 100% virtual or 100% in person.

In person it is!
BBRex
AG
I can't imagine anyone doing that with a student that young. And you shouldn't have to. I would imagine online instruction times vary widely by grade.
Post removed:
by user
tylercsbn9
AG
jokershady said:

Lamar Consolidated is giving parents the option....can chosen to do either 100% virtual or 100% in person.

In person it is!

Luckily for you comrade Lena can't shut it down.

That's the initial plan for Cy fair but we all know Lena will shut it down like in Dallas, Austin, and SA

Katy and Cypress gonna be **** out of luck after this week
cajunaggie08
AG
No, but Fort Bend Judge George has usually followed in step with Harris County. It just usually takes him a day to a week after Harris County makes a decision to follow suit.
MJ20/20
AG
When this week are they supposed to address the schedule?
cone
AG
lol

so what are exactly are 1st graders going to be doing when not receiving this virtual instruction?

let's be honest about what this is going to look like for elementary age kids
OnlyForNow
AG
It's only 3.

LCISD isn't doing any of the waiting, full back in school - if you want.

Varying degrees of severity of COVID outbreak within the county/district determines mask usage.
GrayMatter
AG
Quote:

Luckily for you comrade Lena can't shut it down.

That's the initial plan for Cy fair but we all know Lena will shut it down like in Dallas, Austin, and SA

Katy and Cypress gonna be **** out of luck after this week
It's going to remain a fluid situation so I for one don't really care about the instruction as much as the social interaction they have been missing. Most of the instructional stuff can be done in the morning and then have the rest of the day for play.
Post removed:
by user
tylercsbn9
AG
Sasappis said:

So it isn't a mandate yet? Just a please don't do it letter?

Elementary should at least be able to offer in person. Junior and High schools can make online "work" but not elementary
P.H. Dexippus
AG
This is why kids shouldn't play County Judge.
MJ20/20
AG
This is a prime the pump type of announcement. Get the masses ready for Hildalgo to pull the rug.
LB12Diamond
AG
Hospitals are not close to reaching capacity. Not good they have to lie for their request.
gougler08
AG
If it didn't directly impact the livelihoods of so many people, it would be laughable at this point
LB12Diamond
AG
This is beyond frustrating. I'm curious to see what the superintendents do. They have been working on this. Made decisions different than this.
Mikeyshooter
AG
She has no authority over schools.
LB12Diamond
AG
Is that correct?

If so, that makes the wording of the letter understandable.
Post removed:
by user
tylercsbn9
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

She has no authority over schools.

Dallas, Austin, and SA have shut down the in person option until after Labor Day.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.