Houston
Sponsored by

Barry's Pizza closing for good

4,828 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bigballin
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Screenshot because I don't wanna link to Facebook.

This sucks.
Al Bula
AG
Never heard of it
Ezra Brooks
AG
Damn good pizza
Spore Ag
So disappointing. Love their deep dish special with extra sauce.
mazag08
AG
Whenever I was flying southwest I would always grab a slice or two before the flight. It was always awesome having a mom and pop style place in the airport.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Sorry to hear. I was actually impressed how long they were able to hold out in that area after everything else had changed.
The Kraken
AG
Shife said:

Never heard of it
Richmond and Fountainview. Haven't been there in years but enjoyed quite a few pizzas and brews back in the 90s and early 2000s
Bubba smollett
Meh pizza
mm98
AG
Always thought it was good but overrated. Still, a long standing private business of SW Houston...sucks.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Premium
AG
Would be shocked if they didn't own the place after 37 years, and by the looks of it - would have minimal expenses. Sounds like a bunch of old people want to retire and are looking for a pity story. Should have shut two months ago if the PPP couldn't get you through.
Madmarttigan
AG
LaQuica said:

Meh pizza

Yup
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Yeah, but is Wild West surviving? Govt overreaction better not have shuttered that fine establishment.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Premium said:

Would be shocked if they didn't own the place after 37 years, and by the looks of it - would have minimal expenses. Sounds like a bunch of old people want to retire and are looking for a pity story. Should have shut two months ago if the PPP couldn't get you through.

Tell us how you are personally affected and hurt by this news.
Jock 07
AG
tk for tu juan
That sucks
Premium
AG
Harry Lime said:

Premium said:

Tell us how you are personally affected and hurt by this news.
Considering I wasted time to open this thread, I felt obligated to double-down and share my annoyance.
W
AG
that's the big question for all the restaurants.

if they don't own the building or the land...and their landlord or bank is not giving them a rent break right now...they are not going to make it
jrrhouston98
AG
Been eating there as long as it has been open. Used to be called Eddys before. Deep dish was dam good. Sorry to see it go.
nonameag99
Barry's on Richmond is a solid OK

The best Barry's that I have ever had was at HOU

It was not special
ccolley68
AG
Spanky's is better
Smokedraw01
I hated when they closed the one on Eldridge years ago. Pretty good pizza.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I vaguely recall eating there back in the '90s when I worked near there.
KatyAg88
bummer
FtBendTxAg
AG
Sad to see it go. About once a quarter we'd grab a deep dish meatza w extra sauce and their fried raviolis and cheese garlic bread. /Fat AF .

That intersection is one of Houston's premier bum fight/ public interveinous drug use hot spots.
cypress-ag
AG
Pappas Restaurants owned the building when Barry's moved into that location. Not sure if they sold it to them but that was the case years ago.
Diggity
AG
HCAD confirms they still own it.
CheeseSndwch
I will miss their fried ravioli.
Texas A&M
I loved their pizza, but it always gave the sh/ts.
AgCPA95
AG
Went there for lunch a few weeks in probably Jan or Feb pre-COVID at the suggestion of a coworker. It had been 10+ years since I had been there. Pizza was good, but place seemed dated and tired. With the super light lunch crowd back then I'm thinking they were likely already in trouble.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Politicians should not have this power.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
If the politicians keep dragging this out, we'll have plenty more opportunity to figure out exactly why and how so many local businesses were likely already in trouble.
jh0400
AG
W said:

that's the big question for all the restaurants.

if they don't own the building or the land...and their landlord or bank is not giving them a rent break right now...they are not going to make it

I'm not in CRE so there may be something I'm missing, but I have a hard time believing that landlords would be better off evicting tenants instead of working out something with their existing tenant. Both cases lead to $0 in today, but it would seem that having a tenant in place when things reopen would be preferable to looking for a new one in this environment.
Party Boy
OTL.
ccolley68
AG
Unless this was just the opportunity they were looking for to get rid of a tenant. I would assume most landlords agree with you, work out a temp deal with current tenant and avoid the hassle of finding new ones.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.