Houston
Sponsored by

They wont let me see my baby in the hospital... HELP!

5,424 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TxAgPreacher
TxAgPreacher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Does anyone work in hospital administration? or know someone who does?

My baby had 2 seizures and they are running lots of test on him. He is in texas Childrens in the Woodlands. My wife is exhausted and is in no condition to make medical decisions for him. They have been neglected and she is on the verge of a breakdown. She is not allow to leave until the COVID test comes back. They say they will let us switch, but then she cant come back for 24 hours. It's not an option because she is breastfeeding. The doctors never call when they come in the room. A few times they have basically mislead her as to why they aren't running tests. The hospital is empty and they haven't been treating her fair, because she is a sweetie and doesnt know how to insist on better care. She also is in no mental state to even be aware of what is going on. They are on the verge of medical malpractice, and I know it's not the doctors fault they wont let me in. I've called everyone I can think of to try to get them to let me in but everyone talks like a robot spouting the party line what are the tricks to get in the hospital?
All my political beliefs are informed by my religious ones. To flag my posts, and tell me to take it to R&P is intellectual cowardice. I will not debate interpretation, that is off topic, and trolling me.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
I don't know anyone but you can try this.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Not what you are looking for but maybe some insight- we delivered at TC in the med center in April. I had to leave due to COVID concerns and wanted to send a "substitute" family member in my place. That conflicted with the visitor policy. We learned that the visitor policy was set by the head nurse, not doctors or hospital admin. By very nicely asking, we were able to persuade the head nurse to make an exception. It's tough to be calm and extra nice when you feel you are being ignored in a critical medical situation, but that's the approach I would recommend. Any arguing or allegations of malpractice are likely to be a turnoff to your predicament. Best of luck.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
TxAgPreacher
S
Already called them.
All my political beliefs are informed by my religious ones. To flag my posts, and tell me to take it to R&P is intellectual cowardice. I will not debate interpretation, that is off topic, and trolling me.
Post removed:
by user
TxAgPreacher
S
I hear you, but she isn't leaving, and she shouldn't have to. I've talked to doctors who say the policy is wrong. No reason we both shouldn't be in there. That's in the babys best interest.
Diggity
AG
my wife's family having a similar issue at Methodist.

Grandpa is in the hospital for the initial chemo treatments on an aggressive tumor.

At first, they allowed her dad to be in the room with him but one of the nurses kicked him out and he hasn't been allowed to go back. Poor grandpa can barely hear, doesn't speak great English and has had to spend the last several days by himself.

Just a crappy situation.
Zemira
AG
I know this is a last resort, but have you thought about contacting the local investigative reporters?

I hate to think media or lawyers they are both kinds of scum but they could bring awareness to your situation since the hospital is ignoring you and it seems your family stuck in the hospital.
Post removed:
by user
Zemira
AG
Was thinking more of the outrage and sympathy for a young baby.

Yeah my Dad was an outpatient at the hospital and we could drop him off and they called us when he was done.

Very discouraging as a family member that you have no idea what is going on and they have absolutely no advocate or alternative means of recourse to question their medical treatment of a minor child.
TXTransplant
Sasappis said:

How old is the baby? If your wife is not able to be the point of contact and advocate for the baby take her place. She can pump and the baby can bottle feed for a few days. Breastfeeding should not be the only reason you do not have the child's best advocate on site.

So much this. And I say that as a mother who breast-fed.

I know you say she won't leave, but if she really is on the verge of a breakdown and can't make good decisions for your son, you absolutely need to take her place.

I took my son to that very same hospital with a broken arm and concussion not quite 2 years ago. He was pretty hysterical, both from the pain and the head injury.

I cannot tell you how appreciative the nurses were that I was able to stay calm and that I was able to talk to my son and calm him down.

Seriously - they can't treat your son effectively if your wife (or you) is emotional. From everything you've said in the multiple threads you've posted, having her there could be making the situation worse.

Spend your time convincing your wife to switch places with you rather than arguing with the hospital staff.
Post removed:
by user
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

Already called them.

Okay. Another suggestion is write down what Docs/nurses etc say to limit the confusion factor during their visits to your child. That will help form decisions on what you all feel is best for child as well as increase understanding of what is being said. I remember things better when I write them down vs just listening.

Also, maybe consider venting here versus at the docs and nurses
ttuhscaggie
AG
Have your wife call you and put you on speaker phone when the docs comes in so you can listen in and ask any questions you have.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TxAgPreacher
S
"Unfortunately, there is nothing controversial or unique about only allowing one family member to be there. I know a family with a kid that spent 60 days in the NICU during this. The mom went everyday but the father was not allowed."

Just wait till the lawsuits start. Its plenty controversial, and many doctors disagree with you!
BohunkAg
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

Just wait till the lawsuit start. Its plenty controversial, and many doctors disagree with you!
I've kept quiet, but my gosh are you really going to sue over this? Keep in mind that a lot of these hospital workers are under an enormous strain right now with quite a few being furloughed or losing their jobs. Case in point:

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Baylor-Scott--White-Health-to-lay-off-more-than-1200-employees-570774981.html

Just because they are doctors or work in a hospital doesn't make them infallible. I understand you are in a horrible and difficult situation....I just ask you to try to work through the situation as best you can and understand that there are flawed human beings on the other side of the equation. And I say this as the husband of someone in the health care industry. It ain't been easy the last couple months.
TxAgPreacher
S
You dont have all the facts buddy. More bad stuff happened that I haven't shared here. Of course I would never want to do that, but the quality of care sure did increase when I threatened to.
TxAgPreacher
S
Also I meant to type lawsuits not lawsuit. I wasn't planning on it. they all but locked my wife in a room and offered her little to no counseling. They acted shocked that she was even crying.

She clearly couldn't make decisions and they failed to call me and keep me in the loop even though I had asked. Lots of other bad things they did that I'll refrain from sharing here. You bet I would sue if something bad happened, and they neglected my family all night while I was helpless.

Of course I'm just venting here, and if we get out of here I wont sue. Don't be such a dunce.
BohunkAg
AG
I would appreciate it if you didn't call me names.
BohunkAg
AG
I am sympathetic to your position....I was trying to help you see the other side. And yes, I don't have all the facts. But my wife has gotten threatened at work before, and I'm sure there are many times she hasn't told me about because I would worry more than I do. And I know how professional, smart and dedicated she is.
htxag09
AG
The lack of common sense and discretion In these situations is mind boggling.

My mom was at md Anderson fighting breast cancer, she was a pretty high fall risk but still nobody allowed to go with her. Her blood cell counts fluctuated so much she'd sometime get light headed and have to stop to catch her breath after walking 20 feet. Her counts got so low she was admitted and there for 3 days, no visitors. She was in that room and alone when they told her that her cancer had progressed so bad that nothing else could be done for her and they recommended she go home and get on hospice. She was alone when she had to make that decision.

I just don't get it, she had been in the same house and in constant contact with my dad every day. There was basically zero additional risk for him to be there with her. If he had covid, she would've also. Yet because of this dumb ass policy she got that news and made that call by herself.

Sorry for the side rant. I feel for you and you have my prayers.
MAS444
AG
Can you imagine the difficulty that the hospital workers, doctors, nurses, administrators, etc. are having dealing with all of this and managing every patient's/family's situations? They've got to have some kind of standard protocols in place...and almost no patients/families are going to be happy with them. I can't imagine how difficult it is for patients/families....but there's another very important side to it.
(removed:110205)
TxAgPreacher said:

You dont have all the facts buddy. More bad stuff happened that I haven't shared here. Of course I would never want to do that, but the quality of care sure did increase when I threatened to.
Are you an attorney?
TxAgPreacher
S
All the test came back clear! We are getting discharged soon. We still don't know what caused the seizures, but we will have a follow up soon. Hopefully it was a one time thing. Thank you for your prayers!
BohunkAg
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

All the test came back clear! We are getting discharged soon. We still don't know what caused the seizures, but we will have a follow up soon. Hopefully it was a one time thing. Thank you for your prayers!
Very happy for you guys. Prayers do work.
TxAgPreacher
S
Thanks. Sorry for offending you.
Jackal99
AG
Stress and worry are major *****es. Glad your baby is well and coming.
LondonAg89
AG
I used to work at TCH. Contact family relations and risk management and you tell them your situation. Tell them about your conversations with physicians and be specific about who said what. Tell them you understand the protocol for protecting all patients but you want your baby to get the best care and to make the best decisions. At least to include you in discussions. Your wife can FaceTime with you while the drs and nurses are in the room.

If that all doesn't work, ask for the administrator on call. That is an executive on call to handle patient/parent issues.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

Thanks. Sorry for offending you.

On behalf of all of Texags, please do not ever apologize to ButthumpAg for anything, especially when he is trying to make a thread about himself. Do not encourage him.

Glad y'all are getting discharged; I'm sure it's a huge relief and exciting at the same time.
BohunkAg
AG
I wasn't trying to make it about myself. You don't know anything about me other than what I post, which is very little about my family...for a reason. I'm glad the guy got a good outcome. He seems like a decent guy caught in a bad spot. We've all been there. Just trying to get him to see there are humans involved on all sides getting crapped on in this pandemic. I'm done here.
Guitarsoup
AG
htxag09 said:

The lack of common sense and discretion In these situations is mind boggling.

My mom was at md Anderson fighting breast cancer, she was a pretty high fall risk but still nobody allowed to go with her. Her blood cell counts fluctuated so much she'd sometime get light headed and have to stop to catch her breath after walking 20 feet. Her counts got so low she was admitted and there for 3 days, no visitors. She was in that room and alone when they told her that her cancer had progressed so bad that nothing else could be done for her and they recommended she go home and get on hospice. She was alone when she had to make that decision.

I just don't get it, she had been in the same house and in constant contact with my dad every day. There was basically zero additional risk for him to be there with her. If he had covid, she would've also. Yet because of this dumb ass policy she got that news and made that call by herself.

Sorry for the side rant. I feel for you and you have my prayers.

Really sorry to hear about your mom. Cancer patients are at higher risks so MDA has things on tighter lockdown and if a patient is competent to make decisions for themselves, they can't have visitors.

Limiting the number of people in the hospital limits the exposure of other patients to COVID. If both you're parents somehow had it but were asymptomatic, one person with it is less likely to pass it on that two people with it.

My dad's fighting cancer, too and it isn't looking good for him, either
TxAgPreacher
S
We dont have it. The test came back negative. Still didn't let me in.
TxAgPreacher
S
Tried all that. It was like all the administration were robots. Never got an I'll see what I can do. It was like they only cared about repeating hospital policy to me over and over.
terradactylexpress
Policy doesn't work if you make exceptions to it
The Wonderer
AG
We've fought similar issues at a different major medical facility. They eventually agreed to allow our clients access to their NICU baby.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.