Houston
Sponsored by

Little Leagues

15,094 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Engine10
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone's little leagues offering refunds or credits for future seasons? Just curious what most leagues are doing.
TarponChaser
My younger son was supposed to play his first season of coach-pitch 6U at Humble-Atascocita Baseball and they're rolling out refunds of some amount. They looked at applying it to the fall but it was too complicated. I have no clue what we're going to get in the refund.

My older son plays on a 9U AAA travel team and we've started back practicing and are expecting to play a tournament the weekend of 5/22.
RK
AG
not from ours. they basically said the funds were largely already used for uniforms, maintenance, equipment, etc. had they canceled before practices/games got started, i would have expected one...but since the season was underway, i'm just chalking it up as $ spent plus a donation.
CowtownAg06
AG
I think Timbergrove is offering 25% but I haven't seen it yet. I'll probably let them keep it since I know they are hurting. i9 sports out west is doing a future season credit of basketball. We hadn't even start practice yet so I thought that should have been a full refund.
jamesf
AG
I am on the board of a small baseball league. We are offering to defer to fall season, cancel and donate the fee, or cancel and get 50% refund. We are basically laying all the cards on the table and begging people to help us out because we really don't even have enough to issue 50% to everyone.
AgCPA95
AG
We have two kids signed up for Katy Pony and no refunds coming. Same basic comments as RK. They say we would shoot to move it to summer starting June 1 for shortened season but we have all kind of conflict with church camp, pole vault camp and a vacation if all that stays scheduled so we will likely just consider it a donation.
HtownAg92
AG
We are at T-Grove. They are offering 25% but laying on the guilt to have everyone just donate it. It would be nice if they just said that everyone who donated gets automatically registered next year, or just rollover registration with an opt out. That's thre most stressful part of the season - panicking to sign up before the 5 minute window closes.

I'm bummed about the season. My Pinto really could have benefited from being an older kid and team leader. Now he's moving on without the season of experience and back to being the youngest.

BMX Bandit
That's a very big jump to Mustang too. Will definitely hurt not having the spring season. I wonder why they can't have a summer season?

That is a great idea about registration.
jamesf
AG
We polled our parents, and about half of them said they weren't interested in a shortened season that would end by July 1. Most of the No's were because of concerns with the virus. But also heat concerns and scheduling issues played a role. That coupled with the uncertainty of when we would even be able to start led us to decide to cancel.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
jamesf said:

I am on the board of a small baseball league. We are offering to defer to fall season, cancel and donate the fee, or cancel and get 50% refund. We are basically laying all the cards on the table and begging people to help us out because we really don't even have enough to issue 50% to everyone.
of all the things my kids are involved in, the ones that just lay the cards on the table always get the best response from my family. If they are straight, we usually find a way to make sure they get theirs from us.
BarryProfit
SBMSA is still trying to get a season in from Jun - July.
evestor1
Anyone know about forest cove?
Alan Stanwyck
AG
BarryProfit said:

SBMSA is just doing everything they can not to refund because they spent the money already. If they would have been honest and up front from the beginning people would have appreciated it more. I equate these dorks on the board to that of HLSR committee heads in the power and coolness they think they have.
Mikeyshooter
AG
BarryProfit said:

Softball was officially cancelled today. Not one mention of what they are doing with the registration fees.
SJEAg
AG
Took a poll on First Colony (I said let's do this even if it's summer) but haven't heard what the plan will be. I don't expect any money back regardless of what happens.
Gator92
AG
BMX Bandit said:

That's a very big jump to Mustang too. Will definitely hurt not having the spring season. I wonder why they can't have a summer season?

Coach Pony Pony. They've said that they would have a summer season if allowed. If not, they would push same age groups to fall and keep the same teams. No refunds. Can't imagine that working b/c of other sports etc. I have polled my parents and most have conflicts for summer. Pony's national org followed Little League and has cancelled all world series and regional tournaments. I'm disappointed to say the least. Not looking to get a refund just wish we could have a season. Anyone need a 14U pitcher?
Buford T. Justice
AG
CS just rolled into a summer season.
I'm a coach, and I wished that they had surveyed the parents first. Essentially, games will start near 6/1.
madcuz
AG
Most are offering partial refunds with the option to donate it back to the league. Difficult situation for the leagues. Pretty sure their business plan never considered the possibility of having to give everyone a full refund.
cab559
AG
Alan Stanwyck said:

BarryProfit said:

SBMSA is just doing everything they can not to refund because they spent the money already. If they would have been honest and up front from the beginning people would have appreciated it more. I equate these dorks on the board to that of HLSR committee heads in the power and coolness they think they have.

I mean did you actually expect a refund? I never did and you shouldn't either so don't get upset at a bunch of volunteers. Preseason had already started and teams had their uniforms. I'm on board if we can get some games in during June.
Alan Stanwyck
AG
cab559 said:

Alan Stanwyck said:

BarryProfit said:

I mean did you actually expect a refund? I never did and you shouldn't either so don't get upset at a bunch of volunteers. Preseason had already started and teams had their uniforms. I'm on board if we can get some games in during June.

I expected a little more communication and honesty from the board. We had about 3 practices before the shut down. We pay for our own uniforms. All they give us is 12 balls. Everything else we pay for. So you have no more money? Fine tell us where it went and why you cannot offer refunds. Allow us to write it off as a donation. Offer partial refunds. Not addressing the issue is a bit off putting to a great deal of people. And my son goes to camp in June and he will be there 10 times out of 10 before he plays baseball. I promise you he's not the only one with that conflict. It's not just about the money.
El Duke
SBMSA softball email yesterday hurt. I fear baseball may be next.
Bassmaster
AG
ORWALL is polling to see who is interested in a June start. I don't understand people with conflicts. All of our summer plans are currently on hold and many/most likely will not happen. Why are people so certain there are conflicts? Are they receiving communications that camps/vacations will happen? We are not.
tmaggie50
AG
What would these leagues have spent 50-100% of the money on if the season hadn't even started?
CowtownAg06
AG
tmaggie50 said:

What would these leagues have spent 50-100% of the money on if the season hadn't even started?
I'm guessing, but field prep is really expensive. We've got our uniforms already. Training for umpires. I think 50% being spent is very likely. Also, with our league, there is a big fund raiser carnival at the start of the year that isn't happening. This, plus revenue from concessions matters to these and it's gone.
03_Aggie
CowtownAg06 said:

tmaggie50 said:

I'm guessing, but field prep is really expensive. We've got our uniforms already. Training for umpires. I think 50% being spent is very likely. Also, with our league, there is a big fund raiser carnival at the start of the year that isn't happening. This, plus revenue from concessions matters to these and it's gone.

My understanding is that umpires are the most expensive cost of the season. So assuming they didn't spend all registration money getting ready for the season (banking on fund raising and concession to get them through the season) then they should be able to issue some level of refund if people press for it.

That said, I have two kids playing and I am not looking to get anything back. Our league is really trying hard to let the kids that want to play have an opportunity to play. We have decent numbers willing to give a go in my two age groups. We will have to consolidate teams but who cares. I think it's a chance to have some fun with the kids with out the typical spring baseball chaos.
OnlyForNow
AG
Lamar little league is going to have a shortened season, which I am in favor of.
MJ20/20
AG
What tournaments are yall signing up for? USSSA, Nations, or something else?
evestor1
How much do people spend on little league where it warrants asking for a refund? I am quite sure we spend 130 and practiced 5 times on their fields (cheaper than about all other activities even with the season cancelation.)

Is it just principle?
I would rather my money be donated b/c little league seems to be worthy cause.
Bregxit
AG
Bassmaster said:

ORWALL is polling to see who is interested in a June start. I don't understand people with conflicts. All of our summer plans are currently on hold and many/most likely will not happen. Why are people so certain there are conflicts? Are they receiving communications that camps/vacations will happen? We are not.
If you have a plan it is always just a plan until executed or cancelled for whatever reason. So people who have things planned for summer, be it a camp or vacation or whatever, is a conflict until it is cancelled.

I gave my feedback to ORWALL. We'll show up if that's what the league decides since I committed to being a coach but they should not be surprised if many teams are shorthanded because people are going to get the hell out of town once school is out. Many people will not want to go sit out in the June/July heat...all stars last summer was MISERABLE and that's only 8-10 days.

That said, it is a suck position to be in for ORWALL.
Bregxit
AG
evestor1 said:

How much do people spend on little league where it warrants asking for a refund? I am quite sure we spend 130 and practiced 5 times on their fields (cheaper than about all other activities even with the season cancelation.)

Is it just principle?
ORWALL was $300 for this spring season.
Jackal99
AG
We are at Westbury. That was also $300 for the season. We got 5 games in, with the last being the night HISD announced their closure. They emailed a survey this week to get parents' opinions about: restarting the season if deemed safe, how late to extend the season, etc. They did say they will go by the most conservative guidelines when deciding if/when to resume.
TarponChaser
MJ20/20 said:

What tournaments are yall signing up for? USSSA, Nations, or something else?

I really don't know. I'm not a coach. I think we're just signing up for whatever tournaments will be out there.

I was helping coach my younger son's team, not because I know anything about baseball but wrangling a bunch of 5 & 6-year old kids is herding cats and you need all hands on deck.
HtownAg92
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I'm going to write the Board to ask or consider if Fall Ball can be choice for those moving up about whether to play up or get another season at the missed level. I still don't know whether getting a feel for kid pitch would be better than the growth and reps in coach pitch. I'm thinking the latter for my boy because he was finally getting opportunities and action in the infield.
Mikeyshooter
AG
evestor1 said:

Is it just principle?

SBMSA softball was $225. We played 1 game. I would have liked the opportunity for a partial refund.
SJEAg
AG
Just got an email that First Colony LL is offering 50% credit towards future seasons to those who opt out of a Summer season (which is still unclear whether it will happen). We had played 4-5 games. I am pleasantly surprised at the offer, but planning to play if they move forward..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.