Houston
Sponsored by

Redneck Country Club is no more..

40,699 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Marvin_Zindler
JSKolache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Wonder what will go in that space next. Once the economy recovers, that'll be a good space right across from The Grid.
Ding ding ding, winner. Sold some beers for a few years and then flips it for a nice profit.
I Am A Critic
aTm2004 said:

Silky Johnston said:

You sound upset that your "lifetime" membership is now useless.

Never even been there. Just not quite understanding how the government allowing someone to delay paying their taxes to stay afloat and keep their employees during a government ordered shut down is any different than paying the taxes and the government using that money for some type of assistance after you've laid off your employees, who will then begin to draw money from the government.
You should really brush up on unemployment insurance vs sales tax. Enlightenment is within reach.
Username checks out.
aTm2004
AG
I Am A Critic said:

aTm2004 said:

Silky Johnston said:

Never even been there. Just not quite understanding how the government allowing someone to delay paying their taxes to stay afloat and keep their employees during a government ordered shut down is any different than paying the taxes and the government using that money for some type of assistance after you've laid off your employees, who will then begin to draw money from the government.
You should really brush up on unemployment insurance vs sales tax. Enlightenment is within reach.

Then enlighten us. Both are a tax to the employer.
Liquid Wrench
What's the Grid? Apartments?
Bregxit
AG
Body By Fisher said:

Multi use development...like Hughes Landing in the Woodlands if you are familiar with that.
cajunaggie08
AG
aTm2004 said:

I Am A Critic said:

aTm2004 said:

Silky Johnston said:

Then enlighten us. Both are a tax to the employer.
The sales tax is NOT a tax to the employer. It is a tax that customers have to pay. Its why you can claim sales taxes paid as a deduction on your tax return. Rather than employ hundreds of thousands of tax collectors to collect the 8.25% from every transaction on site, the logical and easy thing to do is let the restaurant and business collect the tax for them. Letting a business not pay the sales tax bill is not giving the restaurant break. Its letting the restaurant keep money that is not theirs and never was. How is it fair to let one business keep the money to try to stay afloat when it was never theirs. Should they deplete those funds in an attempt to stay open another week or 2, they essentially stole money from their customers when their funds hit zero and now the state has zero tax collected and still will need to pay out the laid off employees unemployment assistance...well the documented ones at least.
Jack Cheese
AG
Good explanation of a simple pass-through collection scheme.

I predict that it will not change his mind, as he does not seek enlightenment, only more argument.
jamesf
AG
Body By Fisher said:

It's the redevelopment of the old Texas Instruments campus along 59 between Airport and Kirkwood. While the main part is still being developed, there have already been about a dozen restaurants and stores opened up around the outskirts of the development.

https://experiencethegrid.com/
aTm2004
AG
A tax is a tax is a tax, regardless of who pays it. Businesses are failing and the one entity that's directly responsible for it isn't giving an inch at this point. I don't care what business it is, it could be this business or a lawn business who is losing customers because they are among the millions who lost their job. You have private businesses working with people on their mortgages, car payments, etc during this time, but it doesn't seem like the government is doing the same, unless you haven't paid your rent in months and were in the process of getting evicted, then you're golden. Yeah, they're going to take it in and give some of it back in a few weeks to those wondering "what now" and making sure their resume is up-to-date.

I 100% get what cajun is saying. My wife owns a small business and pays the sales tax monthly. It doesn't change what I'm saying. The government could easily say if your business is in industry X, Y, or Z, what is due in March can be delayed until, say May, thus giving some of these businesses much needed cash that could keep the doors open through this.

Every option that's been provided by posters here all involve the same thing...getting government help via tax dollars. One eliminates government delays and when the government gets to take their share and helps the business now, while the other is essentially the same thing, but it's passed through the government system first.

No enlightenment needed nor do I want to argue. Just wondering wondering why waiting on government money in the future is a better option than being able to use the government money you already have now, when it's most needed. Have yet to see a good explanation on it, just explanations on why it's not their money, which I never said it was.
ATM9000
AG
aTm2004 said:

A tax is a tax is a tax, regardless of who pays it. Businesses are failing and the one entity that's directly responsible for it isn't giving an inch at this point. I don't care what business it is, it could be this business or a lawn business who is losing customers because they are among the millions who lost their job. You have private businesses working with people on their mortgages, car payments, etc during this time, but it doesn't seem like the government is doing the same, unless you haven't paid your rent in months and were in the process of getting evicted, then you're golden. Yeah, they're going to take it in and give some of it back in a few weeks to those wondering "what now" and making sure their resume is up-to-date.

I 100% get what cajun is saying. My wife owns a small business and pays the sales tax monthly. It doesn't change what I'm saying. The government could easily say if your business is in industry X, Y, or Z, what is due in March can be delayed until, say May, thus giving some of these businesses much needed cash that could keep the doors open through this.

Every option that's been provided by posters here all involve the same thing...getting government help via tax dollars. One eliminates government delays and when the government gets to take their share and helps the business now, while the other is essentially the same thing, but it's passed through the government system first.

No enlightenment needed nor do I want to argue. Just wondering wondering why waiting on government money in the future is a better option than being able to use the government money you already have now, when it's most needed. Have yet to see a good explanation on it, just explanations on why it's not their money, which I never said it was.

Who is guaranteeing the LLC's? What's to stop an LLC to either overdraw their balance sheet and declare BK and nobody is liable for those sales taxes even the business is just going to BK anyway in this environment. That's why the distinction Cajun is making is so important.
Liquid Wrench
Thanks for the explanation (and also Brexit) I know exactly where you're talking about
GEA89
AG
AggieTJ said:

Or he's using this as an opportunity to get out. He's said for years that the Stafford location sucks because it's not on a major freeway, and that it's been hard to make the big acts work financially... and, he's been looking at second location up north.

Maybe RCC North just becomes the sole location.
Well that is a stupid thing for him to say, if the location sucked he should have never bought there. But it is a tenth of a mile from the freeway, a mile from the beltway, and is in Stafford where businesses have the best tax break in the city. Throw in the Grid development ongoing across the street and he was in a very good location. It never stopped people from going and it was about to get a lot of people in walking distance.
W
AG
for the RCC to shut down this quickly...there must have been other stuff going on (as others have alluded to)
aTm2004
AG
Finally, a reasonable explanation. I thought taxes couldn't be discharged during bankruptcy.
Diggity
AG
aTm2004 said:

No enlightenment needed nor do I want to argue.
nah!
aTm2004
Biz Ag
AG
Did the RCC serve liquor? If so, you pay your sales taxes to the TABC. Not the folks you want to screw around with. My guess is he probably lost his liquor license.
Liquid Wrench
They served liquor. No idea on the rest of your post.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
W said:

for the RCC to shut down this quickly...there must have been other stuff going on (as others have alluded to)
ding ding ding ding
FCBlitz
All this conjecture.....almost reveling at his "failings" but failing to acknowledging the obvious. ALL businesses like RCC are going to implode if those establishments can not have customers come in and eat, watch shows and spend big money.

That footprint of the RCC is big.....really big and needs lots of utilization. The simple reason the RCC went under is the income well went from a 24" supply line to a 1/2" supply line. Everything down stream almost instantly ran dry.

MB didn't have multiple RCC's which would have provided a deeper base of cash, nor was the RCC to small where the operations really were operated by wife, kid, family members and 4 illegal aliens where they could open without much expenditures.

In the end. If every employee was super happy and everyone loooooved MB. RCC would still have gone under. It really really isn't complicated. No patrons.....no cash. A drive through option wouldn't generate enough revenue to pay for the food served and a few staff. Would not pay the rest of the bills.

So instead on condemning Berry, maybe recognize he did exactly the right thing by shuttering the doors and avoid going down with the ship.

This shutting the economy down for more than a few weeks has got to end. The people who command it will continue to get paid no matter how long this process is extended. The people who own independent small businesses are the ones to get hammered.

Why can I go shop at Walmart and buy a bike and the local independent bike shop has to close. People can freely go shop at food stores but can't eat at a restaurant. Picked up pizza at Dominoes.....eight folks in elbow to elbow confinement complete blowing up the six foot rule and operating with no concern for the virus. These rules were implemented and for a subset of businesses not only is it business as usually......they are seeing there numbers increase because the competition has been Corona'd!

I hate seeing business like RCC go through no fault of their own. Flaws or not.....the RRC was like a deer who go ran over by a speeding Mack Truck resulting in instantaneous death.

Mas89
AG
Speaking of sales taxes, do we really think the convenience stores pay in to the state the 8.25% tax they take in ?
All of it?
Wouldn't it be easy to run a different set of totals?
BMX Bandit
Mas89 said:

Speaking of sales taxes, do we really think the convenience stores pay in to the state the 8.25% tax they take in ?
All of it?
Wouldn't it be easy to run a different set of totals?

People cheat on taxes??!!
Mas89
AG
Well maybe. But not MB it sounds like. Maybe he should parlay his radio stardom like Dan Patrick did and get into state political office. That's a career that appears to pay real well...
Marvin_Zindler
AG
FCBlitz said:

FAll this conjecture.....almost reveling at his "failings" but failing to acknowledging the obvious. ALL businesses like RCC are going to implode if those establishments can not have customers come in and eat, watch shows and spend big money.

That footprint of the RCC is big.....really big and needs lots of utilization. The simple reason the RCC went under is the income well went from a 24" supply line to a 1/2" supply line. Everything down stream almost instantly ran dry.

MB didn't have multiple RCC's which would have provided a deeper base of cash, nor was the RCC to small where the operations really were operated by wife, kid, family members and 4 illegal aliens where they could open without much expenditures.

In the end. If every employee was super happy and everyone loooooved MB. RCC would still have gone under. It really really isn't complicated. No patrons.....no cash. A drive through option wouldn't generate enough revenue to pay for the food served and a few staff. Would not pay the rest of the bills.

So instead on condemning Berry, maybe recognize he did exactly the right thing by shuttering the doors and avoid going down with the ship.

This shutting the economy down for more than a few weeks has got to end. The people who command it will continue to get paid no matter how long this process is extended. The people who own independent small businesses are the ones to get hammered.

Why can I go shop at Walmart and buy a bike and the local independent bike shop has to close. People can freely go shop at food stores but can't eat at a restaurant. Picked up pizza at Dominoes.....eight folks in elbow to elbow confinement complete blowing up the six foot rule and operating with no concern for the virus. These rules were implemented and for a subset of businesses not only is it business as usually......they are seeing there numbers increase because the competition has been Corona'd!

I hate seeing business like RCC go through no fault of their own. Flaws or not.....the RRC was like a deer who go ran over by a speeding Mack Truck resulting in instantaneous death.

I agree with this. But based on MB's twitter tirade (mostly since deleted) it sounds like his operation had a number of issues that others should not/don't have.

That said, I agree that if we don't get this thing moving again fast, there are going to be hellacious consequences. Most businesses (if they are managing cash correctly) can survive a week of shut down. 2-3 starts to slowly kill people.
BrazosDog02
AG
FCBlitz said:

All this conjecture.....almost reveling at his "failings" but failing to acknowledging the obvious. ALL businesses like RCC are going to implode if those establishments can not have customers come in and eat, watch shows and spend big money.

I agree with everything here. I also understand hat we have not even begun to scratch the surface of the complicated impact. All we have seen so far is the superficial scrape. The secondary effect or recession is a moth or two away yet and I'm fearful it will be bad. It's also all going to conveniently fall into place months before and election.

Edit to apologize for typos. I'll fix later. I'm aware they are there.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yeah its going to be bad. Probably worse than anything we can imagine.

The global economy is like a coal train. Slow to stop and even slower to get back up to speed. Right now we are coasting to a stop.

Its somewhat disturbing to read where people think some politician will make a proclamation and things will turnkey get back to where we left off.

Hell, we are looking at a good 3-5 years is my best guess.
Nino Brown
Michael Berry is a fat piece of ***** Deserves everything bad coming to him.
Nino Brown
Mas89 said:

Well maybe. But not MB it sounds like. Maybe he should parlay his radio stardom like Dan Patrick did and get into state political office. That's a career that appears to pay real well...

A once crooked city official doing illegal business getting back into public office.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Nino Brown said:

Vidal Martinez, is that you?
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-michael-berry-show/id1253076699?i=1000557933005
Mr. Lahey
AG
got any proof? or no, you're just a drive by leftist who gets his feelings hurts by facts.
spider96
AG
Why the thread bump from 2 years ago OP?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
We need you to show us on the bear where Michael Berry touched you in order to inspire a message board search and bump of a 2-year old thread.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Nino Brown said:

Fat? Hasn't he lost like 80+ pounds in the past year?

If you're going to resurrect an old thread to beyotch....at least make your insults funny.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.