Houston
Sponsored by

Quarantined Folks Need to Bathe, Too

5,415 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chaca
XpressAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TLDR: Buy some soap, do some good. Texas Made Soap

Long story short, I needed some bars of soap because I've been using the wife's squeeze bottle stuff for too long and saw an ad for that manly man soap (Dr. Squatch). Thinking about the quarantine and the importance of shopping local, especially now, I googled Texas Made Soap.

Fun fact, there's a mom and daughter in Alvin making soap...called Texas Made Soap.

Got my order today (about 3 days for shipping, maybe less) and was incredibly impressed by the size of each bar...and it's impossible to say without losing some masculinity, but they smell good, too. Plus it turns out that you're doing good by helping out the girl learn some pretty useful life skills, and you get to be clean during quarantine, so...win win? Plus, they're cheaper than that aforementioned Dr. Squatch company.

Give these folks a try if you want some good soap. Probably useful for guest bathrooms, too...that way your friends think you're fancy.

Very thick, too.

Samples probably add up to a full bar. Good for guest bathroom.
TexAg2001
AG
My wife got really into making soap around 3-4 years ago. So much so that our family of 5 hasn't bought a bar of soap since. It's actually pretty easy to make once you get the hang of it. It becomes fun once you fully understand the chemistry and can start experimenting with creating your own recipes.

She typically makes them in 3 pound "loafs", which are cut into 9 or 10 bars. When you add up the cost of ingredients each loaf averages around $5 to make. People have been trying to convince her to sell it at local farmers markets, but to her it's just a hobby. She probably wouldn't enjoy doing it as much if it became a business. We use it at home and she gives it to friends and family as gifts (or whenever they ask). I don't think our neighbors have bought a bar of soap in years either!

Our neighbor had a skin condition (can't remember the name). He tried all kinds of different prescription and OTC products to help control it, but couldn't find anything that helped. My wife made him a soap to try that was pure olive oil and it started working to alleviate his symptoms the first time he used it.
T Durden
AG
Amateurs
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
TexAg2001 said:

My wife got really into making soap around 3-4 years ago. So much so that our family of 5 hasn't bought a bar of soap since. It's actually pretty easy to make once you get the hang of it. It becomes fun once you fully understand the chemistry and can start experimenting with creating your own recipes.

sts7049
AG
good bull
TexAg2001
AG
ruddyduck said:

TexAg2001 said:

The process looks more like a scene from Breaking Bad, but, yeah, "we" also started something we shall not talk about.

combat wombat™
AG
So how does she make it? I'd be curious to know.

TexAg2001
AG
combat wombat said:

So how does she make it? I'd be curious to know.

The process she uses is basically like described in this website: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/basic-four-oil-soap-recipe-4136954

Once you understand the basic process, you can start playing around with different oils for different results. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but she's used many different oils over the years: Olive, Lard, Castor, Grapeseed, Sunflower, Safflower, Coconut, Palm, Cocoa Butter, Shea, Mango, Avocado, Almond. Used cooking oil that's been filtered could also be used. She's also experimented with different additives to create texture and change cleaning properties: Oatmeal, Honey, Ground Coffee, Salt, Sugar, Ground seeds, Dried Flowers, Activated Charcoal (my fav), Poppy Seeds, Orange Peel, etc

The Breaking Bad looking part is when mixing the lye. She always wears long sleeves, gloves, safety glasses and a respirator. Be sure to add lye into the water and not water into the lye unless you want to create an explosion.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Wife makes soap as well a few times a year. I love shaving with it. Actually, I use it the most as she has other products she uses. And I shave my head so it's the only product I use.

Sometimes she's put spent grains from my brewing in as well. Give it out as gifts. My mother puts it in the guests bathrooms and it sort of stockpiles up, so then I start stealing it back if it's a batch i particularly liked.

We put it in the spare bedrooms to cure and man, those rooms smell great.
XpressAg09
AG
Bump for the weekday crowd.
Jack Klompus
AG
What does Texas Cattlemen smell like? Leather?
Camo
With enough soap you can blow up just about anything
JYDog90
AG
I was wondering about this yesterday. What makes soap clean you? What in soap kills germs? I could just wash my hands in Coca Cola.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Soap solubilizes hydrophobic material: dirt, grease, and foreign matter.

Soap will also disrupt cell walls and membranes, causing cells to lyse (undergo lysis). This breaks open the capsule holding genetic material, much like popping a balloon.

Soap and water also cause virus and bacteria on your skin to float away and go down the sink.

Note: my master's and doctorate degrees are in surfactants and self assembled structures in solution. I made fake cells.

~egon
AG
We made soap in Chemistry Lab. I am sorcerer!
"Aggies don't lie, cheat, or steal, nor do they tolerate those who do!" - Aggie Code of Honor
Texaggie7nine
Dr. Doctor said:

Soap solubilizes hydrophobic material: dirt, grease, and foreign matter.

Soap will also disrupt cell walls and membranes, causing cells to lyse (undergo lysis). This breaks open the capsule holding genetic material, much like popping a balloon.

Soap and water also cause virus and bacteria on your skin to float away and go down the sink.

Note: my master's and doctorate degrees are in surfactants and self assembled structures in solution. I made fake cells.

~egon
Can washing hands too much damage your skin?

Does water temperature affect efficiency?
7nine
Dr. Doctor
AG
Technically yes. You can dry out your skin, which can cause cracking and then infection. But that takes a lot.

Warner water increases solubility of hydrophobic materials. And helps make structures in water.
CashinOut
AG
Went ahead and followed your rec on this. I got Barbershop 1931, Black Gold, Texas Rain, and Mayan Mud. They all smell great and like OP said, they're good sized bars. Thanks for the heads up OP
XpressAg09
AG
Good bull.

And I'm sure you got a couple free samples, too! They seem to be good folks and I have no problem buying local and helping some folks out.
CashinOut
AG
Actually they sent a free thing of "texas moonshine" hand sanitizer spray. Haven't used it yet though
XpressAg09
AG
Bump. They've upped their packaging game. Still a good product and I smell wonderful.

20% off with "free20"
cr0wbar
AG
Bought some back in March/April. Almost time to re-up! Thanks for the bump
2aggiesmom
We stopped using bar soap when we realized that is what causes soap scum and makes it hard to keep your tub/ shower clean. Now we use a liquid soap and our tub/showers are easy to keep clean. If you don't c need to worry about that use whatever you enjoy the most!
XpressAg09
AG
Bump again. Who'd have thought we'd still be talking about COVID two years later.

22% off with promo code 22222.
Chaca
AG
Just ordered some!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.