Houston
Sponsored by

United fare difference

4,086 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 62strat
bigjag19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A trip I'm making in July is currently ringing up about 50 cheaper per ticket, x3.

Am I SOL or will the current changing policies help?
aTm2004
AG
Call them and ask. If they say no, then tell them that's why the cry themselves to sleep every night with their cats.
wessimo
AG
SOL.
TXTransplant
I'm in the same boat. Flight to Seattle in late May is $100 and I paid $200. Started to call today, but wait times are ridiculous, and I don't want to change my flight (yet). Decided I'll wait this out a couple of weeks to see if we even want to go to Seattle or just go straight to Anchorage (Seattle is just a two-day diversion since there are no nonstop flights to Anchorage in May).
DiskoTroop
Cancel, get a refund and rebook?
bigjag19
AG
I assume refunds are only on refundable fares.
texpert68
AG
Pretty sure they are waiving cancellation fees right now. Worst case, you can cancel, get the credit for a future flight, then immediately use the credit to book the same flight at a cheaper fare for no change fee. You should have the leftover difference for a future flight.
TXTransplant
Unless you booked between March 3 and March 31 or are scheduled to travel before April 30, the "official" policy (copied below) doesn't apply. I'm not quite ready to sit on hold for hours only to be told no.

"We know people are taking a second look at their travel plans right now, and we want you to have flexibility when planning your next trip that's why when you book a flight with us between March 3 and March 31, 2020, you can change it for free over the next 12 months. See terms and conditions

We're also waiving change fees for all tickets issued on or before March 2 domestic or international with original travel dates of March 9 through April 30. See waiver details."

United also changed their reschedule/cancellation policy last week. If they reschedule or cancel your flight but can put you on another within 25 hours, they will not issue a refund (only a credit). That window was 2 hours.
bigjag19
AG
So basically SOL. Oh well.
aTm2004
AG
Did you at least call? Don't just roll over like a *****. If they tell you "no," then at least you tried. I tell my wife this all of the time...make them tell you no, don't do it for them. Gretzky was right...you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, thus you settle with overpriced seats next to your 5.
TXTransplant
The last time I called United - when there was no world-wide pandemic wreaking havoc on the travel industry - I waited on hold for 45 minutes. I can only imagine the hold time is up to hours now.

I'm opting to wait it out a few more weeks, considering I might cancel the leg to Seattle anyway.
Al Bula
AG
I have two award tickets to Seattle flying in late April that were rolled over from award tickets last July when that freak Tropical Storm Barry hit NOLA. United actually waived the change fee since the NOLA weather closed down the airport.

I am sure I will be SOL getting the tickets rebooked again with no change fee but I will call and see what they can do for me.
htxag09
AG
bigjag19 said:

So basically SOL. Oh well.
Just freaking call. We cancelled a trip to the Dominican Republic this past summer, for reasons other than the tainted alcohol and security, and even though it wasn't their official policy they waved our change fees for us.
Aggiemike96
AG
The bigger question, since you posted this on the Houston board and there are many airline choices, why in the hell did you book on United instead of Southwest? Craving a nonstop flight to SEA that bad?
BowSowy
AG
Shife said:

I have two award tickets to Seattle flying in late April that were rolled over from award tickets last July when that freak Tropical Storm Barry hit NOLA. United actually waived the change fee since the NOLA weather closed down the airport.

I am sure I will be SOL getting the tickets rebooked again with no change fee but I will call and see what they can do for me.
Sounds like you should just cancel that flight to save us all in the future
TXTransplant
Aggiemike96 said:

The bigger question, since you posted this on the Houston board and there are many airline choices, why in the hell did you book on United instead of Southwest? Craving a nonstop flight to SEA that bad?

I almost added to my post "And this is why I'd much rather fly Southwest."

But, yes, I wanted a direct flight that landed early morning. And I live an hour from Hobby (in "good" traffic) and didn't want to have to get up at zero-dark-thirty and pay $80 for an Uber to get to the airport. IAH/United was much more convenient (and cheaper) in this case.
JYDog90
AG
Looking at going to Miami the week of Easter and round trip fares on United were $97.
Mustang1
AG
I was checking on flights to Seattle this summer & SW only had one direct flight on the days I was considering.
TXTransplant
Mustang1 said:

I was checking on flights to Seattle this summer & SW only had one direct flight on the days I was considering.

That direct flight is seasonal. There isn't one when we are planning our trip. United had a much better schedule.
Al Bula
AG
I'll second the direct flight to Seattle option... ironically UA sent me an email Monday about the flight now having a stop in Denver.

Additionally I have miles and miles to burn from work travel so UA is convenient at times.
The Milkman
AG
I've already canceled and rebooked a few SW flights and saved about 25,000 points (all were booked with points).
62strat
AG
The Milkman said:

I've already canceled and rebooked a few SW flights and saved about 25,000 points (all were booked with points).
Just picked up flights for the family to houston from denver for 4k points ea round trip lol, friday early evening sunday mid afternoon back.

We'll see if we actually travel here in 4 weeks.
TXTransplant
Heads up: United has extended their no-fee-cancellation policy through the end of May. However, they have changed their refund policy on flights that they cancel FOUR times since March 7.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-schedule-change-policy/

Current policy on cancellations of international flights (Not sure what it is for domestic):

And on Saturday, March 14, United changed the policy for the fourth time and made it much harder to get a refund. Now, the latest policy is that if your international travel is changed by six or more hours, you'll receive a travel credit to use within a year of your original ticket purchase date. If you want a refund, you need to wait until that full year elapses, and only then can you request a refund.
BMX Bandit
62strat said:

The Milkman said:

Just picked up flights for the family to houston from denver for 4k points ea round trip lol, friday early evening sunday mid afternoon back.

on united?
62strat
AG
BMX Bandit said:

62strat said:

The Milkman said:

on united?
no actually that was southwest. I canceled my previously booked United and hope to use the credit later this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.