Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,611 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seabreeze said:

They were, the owner (forgot his name) was really the first to challenge Turner And Dora's closings of indoor dinning
Pretty sure they're not in City of Houston so Turner had no say.
AgCPA95
AG
drumboy said:

Seabreeze said:

They were, the owner (forgot his name) was really the first to challenge Turner And Dora's closings of indoor dinning
Pretty sure they're not in City of Houston so Turner had no say.
Their location on Shepherd is, while the one on Katy Freeway is in Hedwig Village. Side note is we dined at their new location in Katy a few weeks ago on Sunday after church and masks were about 50/50 for waitstaff while patrons were about 25% masked.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yep - have Mother's Day post-church reservations made.
drumboy
AG
Ah, didn't think of the one on Shepherd. I know the Hedwig location was the first place to open up before everything else opened.
BohunkAg
AG
Best thing I've seen...an old school lefty crapping on the lockdowns

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/04/covid-19-lockdowns-panagiotis-sotiris-democratic-biopolitics
BohunkAg
AG
RVAg02
AG
Can't get it to work. Twitter goalies hard at work.
Stat Monitor Repairman
What the the **** is going on here?

This can't be real.
Post removed:
by user
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/05/liberals-covid-19-science-denial-lockdown/618780/

When the libs are calling out the libs, you know it's bad.
Post removed:
by user
CowtownAg06
AG
These are some good ones....

Quote:

After Emily Oster, an economist at Brown University, argued in The Atlantic in March that families should plan to take their kids on trips and see friends and relatives this summer, a reader sent an email to her supervisors at the university suggesting that Oster be promoted to a leadership role in the field of "genocide encouragement." "Far too many people are not dying in our current global pandemic, and far too many children are not yet infected," the reader wrote. "With the upcoming consequences of global warming about to be felt by a wholly unprepared worldwide community, I believe the time is right to get young scholars ready to follow in Dr. Oster's footsteps and ensure the most comfortable place to be is white [and] upper-middle-class."

Quote:

Months slipped by, and evidence mounted that schools could reopen safely. In Somerville, a local leader appeared to describe parents who wanted a faster return to in-person instruction as "****ing white parents" in a virtual public meeting; a community member accused the group of mothers advocating for schools to reopen of being motivated by white supremacy. "I spent four years fighting Trump because he was so anti-science," Daniele Lantagne, a Somerville mom and engineering professor who works to promote equitable access to clean water and sanitation during disease outbreaks, told me. "I spent the last year fighting people who I normally would agree with desperately trying to inject science into school reopening, and completely failed."

Seeing stuff like this in The Atlantic is good to bring people off the ledge. I know it's not the same view that most of us have, but it's need to help the rest of the country get back.
aTm2004
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/05/liberals-covid-19-science-denial-lockdown/618780/

It's a mental disorder, no doubt. COVID is their new religion now that Trump is gone.
Satellite of Love
aTm2004 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

It's a mental disorder, no doubt. COVID is their new religion now that Trump is gone.
Well research shows that ~62% of those who identify as liberal have been diagnosed with a mental disorder. Those who were on the conservative side tended to be diagnosed at a much lower level.
TarponChaser
Reading that Atlantic story and the continued moral preening of these Branch Covidians who prattle on about "science" and "civic duty" when the science doesn't actually support their positions and their supposed civic duty is actually highly detrimental to a civil society truly angers me on a very visceral level.

It's gas-lighting of an epic proportion.
XpressAg09
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Quote:

For many progressives, extreme vigilance was in part about opposing Donald Trump. Some of this reaction was born of deeply felt frustration with how he handled the pandemic. It could also be knee-jerk. "If he said, 'Keep schools open,' then, well, we're going to do everything in our power to keep schools closed," Monica Gandhi, a professor of medicine at UC San Francisco, told me.

Interesting thought here, but folks were so anti-opening everything because they were Anti-Trump that now that they have an Anti-Trump President, they either have to walk back their previously held beliefs and admit that they were reacting out of spite and not fear, or they have to double down and never open again, despite who the President is.

That's how anti-science the Left has become.

Edit to Add:
Quote:

Even as scientific knowledge of COVID-19 has increased, some progressives have continued to embrace policies and behaviors that aren't supported by evidence, such as banning access to playgrounds, closing beaches, and refusing to reopen schools for in-person learning..."Those who are vaccinated on the left seem to think overcaution now is the way to go, which is making people on the right question the effectiveness of the vaccines," Gandhi told me. Public figures and policy makers who try to dictate others' behavior without any scientific justification for doing so erode trust in public health and make people less willing to take useful precautions. The marginal gains of staying shut down might not justify the potential backlash.
Case in point.

Quote:

Anthony Fauci recently said he wouldn't travel or eat at restaurants even though he's fully vaccinated, despite CDC guidance that these activities can be safe for vaccinated people who take precautions. California Governor Gavin Newsom refused in April to guarantee that the state's schools would fully reopen in the fall, even though studies have demonstrated for months that modified in-person instruction is safe.

This is actually a really interesting article.
TXTransplant
I'm not actually sure I believe Fauci hasn't eaten out or traveled. I know there are some paranoid people who have basically been locked in their houses for the last year. But every time I read something like that article, I question the honesty of the people being quoted. I think this is a huge "Do as I say, not as I do" situation.

Because, as I've stated before, there is a certain portion of the "elite" population who stands to benefit from things being shut down and/or there being restrictions on where people can go and what they can do. But, instead of being vilified for supporting those restrictions (as you would expect, given how disproportionately these restrictions have negatively affected the lower class), they are praised because "If it saves just one life!"

Eventually, we will get back to normal. But when we do, the gap between the haves and have nots will be much, much wider - insurmountable for many. These restrictions are effectively hindering the class advancement of millions of people. I can't help but think that's NOT unintentional.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
BohunkAg
AG
third coast.. said:

Read another article recently that stated a number of teachers were ready to go back to in person until trump talked about going back, then they were immediately opposed to it. Diagustonf behavior.
I'm absolutely sure that happened in many cases and not just with teachers. The resistance to getting back to normal was actually a resistance to Trump.
TXTransplant
Exactly. But it's disproportionately hurting those kids who come from unstable, economically disadvantaged homes. The kids of most middle class and definitely upper middle class families will be fine.

Just like forcing places that use unskilled or minimally-skilled labor to remain closed hurts that class of people. Those of us (some, not all) doing our white-collar jobs from home this whole time are acting like it's NBD.

Eventually, when restrictions are lifted, the only people who are going to be able to afford the things that we all used to enjoy are the ones who insisted on keeping everything shut down. And I think they know that.
jenn96
AG
TXTransplant said:

Eventually, we will get back to normal. But when we do, the gap between the haves and have nots will be much, much wider - insurmountable for many. These restrictions are effectively hindering the class advancement of millions of people. I can't help but think that's NOT unintentional.
Yep. Now they'll need more funding for "disparate impacts." And since minorities will be the most disadvantaged, it will be presented as ipso facto systemic racism. Requiring, of course, more funding. There are a lot of Useful Idiots who genuinely think they're saving Just One Life. But at a national policy level, people know what they're doing.

Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
BohunkAg
AG
third coast.. said:

TXTransplant said:

E

Eventually, when restrictions are lifted, the only people who are going to be able to afford the things that we all used to enjoy are the ones who insisted on keeping everything shut down. And I think they know that.

Of course they do. That's their entire plan.
Yeah...and that's depressing as hell. No one looks at this sh-t on a macro basis any more. Everyone is too damned stupid.
Post removed:
by user
gougler08
AG
I was just perusing the Fort Bend County dashboard and it indicated we have seen 612 COVID deaths in a county of 811k. That's 0.1%, and yet everyone is still in masks and FBISD has a very left leaning policy at the schools, ridiculous
TarponChaser
TXTransplant said:

Exactly. But it's disproportionately hurting those kids who come from unstable, economically disadvantaged homes. The kids of most middle class and definitely upper middle class families will be fine.

Just like forcing places that use unskilled or minimally-skilled labor to remain closed hurts that class of people. Those of us (some, not all) doing our white-collar jobs from home this whole time are acting like it's NBD.

I'm not convinced this will be the case.

A great number of those middle class and upper-middle class kids will be psychologically impaired. They'll be socially stunted and fear-driven. They will have drilled into them this anti-liberty, anti-science (which it is despite what libs claim), and anti-social mentality which will definitely impact them later in life.

I can see it already when I take my boys to school and I see these middle school kids masked up at the bus stop outside or walking around the neighborhood in masks. An entire generation has been lied to by their parents, teachers, and government. And those kids who's parents haven't discussed the realities with their kids are in trouble.
jetch17
AG
I got told on the Houston health depts FB page yesterday that America's pending surge will be worse than India's due to people like me ... nice bunch over there.
Post removed:
by user
gougler08
AG
jetch17 said:

I got told on the Houston health depts FB page yesterday that America's pending surge will be worse than India's due to people like me ... nice bunch over there.
Lol...we're definitely surging

cone
AG
Quote:

I'm not actually sure I believe Fauci hasn't eaten out or traveled.
regardless, his supposed behavior just ****s all over how amazing the vaccines actually are

it's insane to me that he hasn't been thanked for his service by JRB and given retirement
CowtownAg06
AG
jetch17 said:

chimpanzee
third coast.. said:

It is beyond depressing. It draws feelings of hopelessness out.

The longer this goes on, the more that looks like this effect is an actual goal of the Faucis of the world.
First Page Last Page
Page 406 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.