Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,659 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TXTransplant said:

I have no issue wearing a mask. I ordered some cloth ones because I expected it to come to this.

But this is what I hate about orders like this - a smart, highly educated friend just texted me saying her husband (who is also smart and educated) just ordered them surgical masks and offered me some.

I told her that surgical masks aren't necessary or recommended because health care professionals need them. I said thanks for the offer, but we'd be wearing our cloth masks.

Ugh. People just don't even pay attention!

Cloth masks are ineffective.

To quote a physician friend:
Quote:

Cotton masks do next to absolutely NOTHING. Only multi layered masks do anything by way of filtration. That cotton mask you have? Your breath is moistening it and congratulations! You've now created an outstanding wick to INVITE particulate/bacteria/viral loads into your body. The politicos who are putting this out there are doing so not for medically based reasons, but for a perception of protection. Oh yeah, the six foot bubble? Also a load of crap. Coughs and even moreso sneezes are viable for a minimum of 10 feet and the smaller aerosols airborne for minutes at a time. This edict is sheer idiocy. The data is out there showing what a crock this is.
TXTransplant
I've seen various info on this.

Yes, the cloth masks don't prevent virus particles from passing through.

But if you cough or sneeze or breathe droplets out, the mask will catch those and keep them from spraying 6' (or 10') out.

That's why people keep saying the masks aren't to protect yourself, but to protect others.

If you're maintaining proper social distancing (which we are supposed to continue to do, even with the masks), then they should help people from spewing their spit everywhere and having it land on other people or surfaces.
TarponChaser
Bregxit said:

TXTransplant said:

A clip of Keough saying MoCo will not be requiring masks was just shown on KPRC. Galveston Co won't require it, either.

FWIW Keough also said he wasn't going to do a stay at home order and curfew, etc....a day before he did exactly that.
Correct, but they also said "we're not waiting on the state date to open up, we're just gonna send it."
TarponChaser
TXTransplant said:

I've seen various info on this.

Yes, the cloth masks don't prevent virus particles from passing through.

But if you cough or sneeze or breathE droplets out, the mask will catch those and keep them from spraying 6' (or 10') out.

That's why people keep saying the masks aren't to protect yourself, but to protect others.

If you're maintaining proper social distancing (which we are supposed to continue to do, even with the masks), then they should help people from spewing their spit everywhere and having it land on other people or surfaces.

Negative. Unless you're using the surgical/N95 multi-layer things the cloth masks do jack squat.
Texaggie7nine
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24229526

Quote:

RESULTS:
The median-fit factor of the homemade masks was one-half that of the surgical masks. Both masks significantly reduced the number of microorganisms expelled by volunteers, although the surgical mask was 3 times more effective in blocking transmission than the homemade mask.
CONCLUSION:
Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort to prevent droplet transmission from infected individuals, but it would be better than no protection.
7nine
JYDog90
AG
Sounds like they may keep you from getting some bs ticket.
Formerly Willy Wonka
TXTransplant
You can do a quick Google search, and there are just as many reputable, peer-reviews sources that say use is inconclusive as there are that say they aren't effective at all.

Part of the problem is just about all the studies have involved health care workers who have been in close contact with infected patients. Not average citizens at the grocery store who are (in theory) practicing social distancing.

But, surgical masks (which aren't the same as N-95 masks) aren't effective for protecting health care workers, either. The only thing that definitively works are N-95 masks and respirators.

And no one wants to see another run on N-95 masks, with people hoarding them or selling them for ridiculous amounts of money.

So, this is the alternative we get instead.

I haven't been wearing a mask and don't think it's necessary. This is mostly a big PR stunt so the "economy can open back up".
Diggity
AG
so let's average out those studies. What comes between "inconclusive" and "useless"?
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

so let's average out those studies. What comes between "inconclusive" and "useless"?

Personal responsibility - read the studies and make a decision for yourself.

Unfortunately, that's not the world we live in.
Unemployed
AG
Diggity said:

Your cock.
cone
AG
I can't spit through a bandana

I've been trying but I can't
Onceaggie2.0
So important to wear mask that it doesn't start until MOnday? What a genius Lina is!
Diggity
AG
only after too many whiskeys
TXTransplant
cone said:

I can't spit through a bandana

I've been trying but I can't

That's sort of the issue with the "inconclusiveness". The effectiveness of the mask depends on the size of the droplets that you project.

Sometimes you generate very small particles (aerosolized) that will pass through the mask. But who knows what the ratio of larger particles to aerosolized particles is when the average person breathes or talks or coughs or sneezes.

Sick patients in hospitals are more likely to generate aerosolized particles when certain procedures (like intubation) are being performed on them.

If you've got a coworker who tends to spit when he talks, the mask could help. I'd rather just stay away far enough away from people so they can't spit on me.

At least that's my understanding.
07fta07
AG
TXTransplant said:

A clip of Keough saying MoCo will not be requiring masks was just shown on KPRC. Galveston Co won't require it, either.

Will that be similar to when MoCo mayor said he would never issue a stay at home order (and then issued one 3 days later)?

Nevermind. Saw that was covered above, but I don't believe anything any of these officials say because almost every one has gone back on their word.
TXTransplant
07fta07 said:

TXTransplant said:

Will that be similar to when MoCo mayor said he would never issue a stay at home order (and then issued one 3 days later)?

Nevermind. Saw that was covered above, but I don't believe anything any of these officials say because almost every one has gone back on their word.

I was just reporting what I saw on the news. I didn't offer any commentary on whether his statement should be taken as gospel.

Don't shoot the messenger.
07fta07
AG
That wasn't meant as an attack on you. Sorry if it read that way.
TXTransplant
07fta07 said:

That wasn't meant as an attack on you. Sorry if it read that way.

No worries. I didn't really think it was, but sometimes around here you never know!
aTm2004
AG
sts7049 said:

if we're in a public space where both families have equal right to access or be, then the impact is not the same. your choice then becomes my burden.

your answer to that, which i presume is "tough s***" doesn't fly, sorry.

if that's how you feel then i guess you wouldn't then have a problem with me kicking you out of said public place either for endangering my family.

in principle i have no problem with leaving the decision up to the individual. but it cannot be without consequence.

Staff, just so we're clear...my response to this threat was removed because I told him how I'd react to him trying to bully us out of a public place because he's scared, was deleted, yet his original threat remains?

He said himself he has no problem leaving the decision up to the individual, but it cannot be without consequence.
Onceaggie2.0
LOL STS is tough remind me to stay away from him. .
mm98
AG
I wonder what a cloth mask lined with a Merv11 filter material would do?
Chewy
AG
Has there been anything else announced other than the mask requirement for the next 30 days? I know there's been some speculation but there's nothing definitive other than masks for the next 30 days starting Monday, right?

Take away the requirement to wear the mask for a bit. They have given no indication if we're going to be under the same restrictions or less restrictions. They're just announcing more restrictions.

This is so typical of politicians. It's just little decisions with no comprehensive plan.

Are we worse, better off, or proceeding to plan considering the restrictions of the last 30 days?

Never mind us making dumb ass decisions, just put on your mask while we make decisions we haven't thought through.
aTm2004
AG
Ladies, watch out for masks sold as "female only."

Liquid Wrench
I missed this on Monday:

Quote:

Quote:

Before Representative Walle was elected to the Texas House, he served on the staff of multiple elected officials, including Congressman Gene Green and Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, where he led different community projects including Immunization Day, Paying for College workshops and senior citizen issue forums. Now a practicing attorney, Representative Walle earned his bachelor's and law degree from the University of Houston.
Not a doctor, not a business leader or economist, but a career Democrat political staffer and politician.
BowSowy
AG
aTm2004 said:

sts7049 said:

if we're in a public space where both families have equal right to access or be, then the impact is not the same. your choice then becomes my burden.

your answer to that, which i presume is "tough s***" doesn't fly, sorry.

if that's how you feel then i guess you wouldn't then have a problem with me kicking you out of said public place either for endangering my family.

in principle i have no problem with leaving the decision up to the individual. but it cannot be without consequence.

Staff, just so we're clear...my response to this threat was removed because I told him how I'd react to him trying to bully us out of a public place because he's scared, was deleted, yet his original threat remains?

He said himself he has no problem leaving the decision up to the individual, but it cannot be without consequence.
Youre starting to sound like a real Karen
DuncanAg
AG
This is the same county judge who will fine you up to $1,000 for not wearing a mask but let felons out of jail on $10 bonds.

Chewy
AG
That's the other part I don't get. Why don't they emphasize the importance of wearing a mask rather than forcing everyone to wear a mask under the threat of a sizable punishment.

This is like Baylor during the rape scandal. Dumb micro decision after dumb micro decision with ZERO common sense being applied or explained.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I'm sure ole Ben would be rolling in his grave if he knew citizens were required to wear a mask when out in public for a month during a pandemic because that is DEFINITELY the kind of liberty he was talking about.

Right? Franklin only pledged his life, fortune and sacred honor over major things like a 1 schilling tax on playing cards, 1/2 pound tax on shooting dice, and tea time.
Post removed:
by user
IrishTxAggie
AG
Absolutely. But by all accounts, Tuttle wasn't one of them. He served and was honorably discharged.
Ag_07
AG
The thought is that Hidalgo was informed that Abbott is opening things up on Monday (4/27) as has been speculated since last week.

She decided to get out in front of things because either she's afraid to open it up without the masks or knows that Abbott is gonna require masks so she beat him to it.

I don't think it's just a random isolated decision.
DuncanAg
AG
Chewy said:

That's the other part I don't get. Why don't they emphasize the importance of wearing a mask rather than forcing everyone to wear a mask under the threat of a sizable punishment.

This is like Baylor during the rape scandal. Dumb micro decision after dumb micro decision with ZERO common sense being applied or explained.
I'm with you...I really think they would get relatively good compliance with the request vs what I think will now be opposite with a legal mandate. Even the original Dallas Co order was masks to be worn on public transportation, stores, and essential work (never addressed being outside in general) and they got so much pressure the reversed any fine associated with the order.

Liquid Wrench
I've kind of figured that masks would be required in some situations as part of opening up, perhaps even as Abbott's guidelines. There are workplaces or jobs where it could seem reasonable.

What I wasn't expecting was a broad mandatory decree with a $1000 fine or 180 days in jail.
tylercsbn9
AG
DuncanAg said:

Chewy said:

I'm with you...I really think they would get relatively good compliance with the request vs what I think will now be opposite with a legal mandate. Even the original Dallas Co order was masks to be worn on public transportation, stores, and essential work (never addressed being outside in general) and they got so much pressure the reversed any fine associated with the order.

They would also get better compliance on this if along with having wear a mask, they paired it with giving us some basic rights back instead of continuing to take **** away and force stuff.

They also made it absurdly broad. They say you have to wear it outside. Basically anything outside besides exercising alone. So if I'm walking in my hood with my family do we all technically have to wear them? I know HPD won't do jack but it's dumb in the first place.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Karen gonna light your ass up and put you on NextDoor blast!
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.