Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,011 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Slappy74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's really stupid on the 'indicators' is that three of them have the same threshold for red, orange and yellow. How does that work?
TXTransplant
drumboy said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

The vaccines could cause infertility and / or birth defects and we wouldn't even know it yet.

Thats a fact.

Let that sink in.

Interesting. Got any backup to this fact of a possible side effect?

There is absolutely no evidence even suggesting those are "side effects" from this vaccine (or any other that is currently available).

A simple Google search will get you to dozens of peer reviewed articles that have studied reported birth defects after vaccination. There is no evidence that any of the current slate of vaccines causes them, or that the rate of birth defects after vaccination is higher than what is observed in the normal population.

But I guess we all "could" get struck by lightning, hit by falling pieces of Chinese rocket, or die in a plane crash, too.
aTm_bomb
AG
TXTransplant said:

But I guess we all "could" get struck by lightning, hit by falling pieces of Chinese rocket, or die in a plane crash, too.

All possible vaccine side effects
Daddy-O5
AG
Had my first "no mask no service" experience at a UPS store in Cypress. No problem. Up the road to the next one.

Really, really hard to imagine a private business throwing away money over a big nothing burger like a mask. Especially at this point and time.
AgCPA95
AG
aTm_bomb said:

TXTransplant said:

All possible vaccine side effects

...or just another COVID death.
WES2006AG
AG
J_Daddy05 said:

Had my first "no mask no service" experience at a UPS store in Cypress. No problem. Up the road to the next one.

Really, really hard to imagine a private business throwing away money over a big nothing burger like a mask. Especially at this point and time.
You really showed them. Wonder if they are out of business yet?
Daddy-O5
AG
WES2006AG said:

J_Daddy05 said:

I actually phrased my post (and my response to the employee at the store) in a non-confrontational manner. I literally do not carry a mask with me any where anymore and they did not have an extra available.

There was zero "I showed you" tone to my reaction and my last statement stands. I have no idea why anyone would turn down business over masks.
TXTransplant
WES2006AG said:

J_Daddy05 said:

This is actually part of the problem. I've tried to avoid businesses that require masks. Unfortunately, there are way too many people still wearing/willing to wear them. My one-woman statement isn't doing diddly squat. I can't compete with the sheer numbers of people who seem to have deep pockets and are willing to spend their money with their masks on.

I also happen to have a friend who owns a UPS store (not the one referred to in the previous post). She took her "masks required" signs down weeks ago, but she told her employees that, if a customer comes in with a mask on, they should also wear a mask (out of respect).

We met for happy hour Thursday before last, and she was telling us about how surprised she is that so many customers are still coming in with masks on. She doesn't know if they don't realize she took the sign down, or if they are just so "used to" wearing masks that they continue to wear them everywhere, or if they really do believe masks are "safer".

I've come to realize this situation is just as confusing and frustrating for the small business owners as it is for the customers.
Daddy-O5
AG
At this point I truly wonder what the effect of a business just saying "screw it" and letting employees go completely maskless would be. I'm just guessing it's easier to continue to comply (somewhat) than face the threat of a viral video with a Karen ranting at employees.
thenational
AG
Not a single mask (servers and patrons) on yesterday at Sam's Boat in Houston. Awesome!
TXTransplant
J_Daddy05 said:

At this point I truly wonder what the effect of a business just saying "screw it" and letting employees go completely maskless would be. I'm just guessing it's easier to continue to comply (somewhat) than face the threat of a viral video with a Karen ranting at employees.

I tend to think that would work better at some establishments rather than others.

My fitness studio took down their signs a few weeks ago. We were all thrilled. There are a couple of stragglers who still insist on wearing a mask during class, but as a collective group, I think most of us agreed this was a long over-due change.

Things get hairier when you start looking at "equal-access" businesses - like retail and certain services. Then there is the issue of whether or not it's a chain and what corporate requires.

And, as has already been pointed out, there is the issue of places like the UPS store where, if you don't like the policy at one location, there is probably another right up the road. I'm sure no small business owner wants to drive business to their competitor.

I also know my friend has long-standing relationships with a lot of her customers (she's been in business over 20 years), so she has a different viewpoint. She really doesn't want to alienate anyone, regardless of their stance on this, because she's gotten to know them personally over the years. It's definitely a tough situation.

To add to the list of businesses that do not require masks: my son wanted to treat me to HTeaO this weekend. Not only do they not require masks, you can SELF-SERVE samples of all the different flavored teas! I was ecstatic (which should tell you something about where we are as a society right now).
gougler08
AG
It sure seems like a lot of people don't understand encouraged vs. required on signs and/or people just don't read the signs anymore.
TXTransplant
gougler08 said:

It sure seems like a lot of people don't understand encouraged vs. required on signs and/or people just don't read the signs anymore.

I don't know about where you are, but up here in The Woodlands, the vast majority of establishments that still have signs up, the signs say "required". I've maybe seen one that says "recommended".
gougler08
AG
TXTransplant said:

gougler08 said:

I don't know about where you are, but up here in The Woodlands, the vast majority of establishments that still have signs up, the signs say "required". I've maybe seen one that says "recommended".
SW side here and it's probably 50/50 on signs where I visit, but probably 90/10 on masks vs. no masks
ChipFTAC01
AG
There's a small little Italian restaurant on Dairy Ashford called George's Pastaria. George DGAF and has largely been mask less through this whole thing and certainly since the order went away. Some of his employees are (I can't actually figure out the logic of who is and isn't wearing masks). Line out the door.
aTm2004
AG
J_Daddy05 said:

Considering the number of small businesses I've been to whose employees are no longer wearing them, I'd say it's minimal.
aTm2004
AG
In Kingwood, the big national places still have "required" signs up, but the number of maskless people increases each day.
TarponChaser
Took Mrs. TC to Lupe Tortilla in Atascocita yesterday since she wanted fajitas for Mother's Day and we'd been at the ballpark for baseball most of the day. The staff were wearing masks but most would pull them down to talk since you couldn't hear or understand them otherwise. No masks required inside at all nor even requested.

What I found to be bizarre was the number of teenagers and kids even younger (under 10 I'm guessing) wearing masks but their parents weren't. Perhaps the parents had been vaccinated? But even still, this forcing kids to wear masks really saddens me.

When I see these middle school kids walking to the bus stop or hanging out at the bus stop wearing masks outside or walking around outside wearing masks when nobody is within 100 feet of them it really depresses me. These kids clearly haven't been told the truth and have been frightened into submission. This will really mess these kids up for a long, long time.

And Mrs. TC spent part of this weekend at a beach house with a bunch of sorority sisters. One of them is now a SAHM with boys who are 4 & 3. They moved to Katy in early 2020 before covid- she completely freaked out about it and this weekend trip was not only her first time away from her kids overnight since the first one was born but her first time going anywhere that was not completely essential in over a year. That's absolute insanity.

Yes, perhaps our personal perspectives might have changed in this house if somebody close to us died or was even hospitalized due to covid and I totally get the restrictive measures for say March to May in 2020. But it was abundantly clear back then that unless you were over about 60 (and even then with underlying issues) or between 20-59 with serious health issues then your risks were minuscule. My parents and MIL are all in their 70s. My father is in the best shape- he's very active and no issues other than BP. My mother and MiL are more fragile but they were 100% exposed to the virus by Mrs. TC and I over Thanksgiving as we had dinner at my parents' home and then the Saturday after Mrs. TC tested positive and I tested positive the following Monday. None of them got sick in the slightest and we were definitely not "social distancing" from each other.

The media and political elites, even supposedly non-partisan bureaucracies like the CDC, along with "experts" who evidently have no idea whatsoever of how to quantify risk or balance risk with reality have failed us all.
Daddy-O5
AG
aTm2004 said:

J_Daddy05 said:

Considering the number of small businesses I've been to whose employees are no longer wearing them, I'd say it's minimal.
I tend to agree, but TxTransplant also brought up a fair example of someone who may continue to require employees to mask due to the nature of their customer base. I do think the overwhelming majority of businesses (especially small businesses) could easily dump them, including employees. More and more customers coming maskless to their stores will probably help expedite the process.

And back to my original statement, no idea why you'd send a paying customer packing over a mask when there's several other very convenient options, including other UPS stores. A couple of the other ones I frequent do not enforce and often have them hanging under their nose until a masked customer walks in.
beerad12man
AG
WES2006AG said:

J_Daddy05 said:

If the business has the right to refuse service the customer has the right to just walk away.

Isn't that how it works? The more that fight back the quicker they go away. They never worked in the first place and are becoming more and more obsolete by the day, and yet for some reason some are still doubling and tripling down on masks.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
We're definitely seeing less mask wearing as the weeks go on on the southeast side. Couple that with even Fauci saying they're likely going to be loosening guidance and I think you see it start to drop drastically.
gougler08
AG
Ranger #007 said:

We're definitely seeing less mask wearing as the weeks go on on the southeast side. Couple that with even Fauci saying they're likely going to be loosening guidance and I think you see it start to drop drastically.
Where did he say that? Thats a positive step for sure
TarponChaser
SoupNazi2001 said:

Ranger #007 said:

Um he didn't say that. Quite the opposite actually.

I'll reiterate my above statement.

The media and political elites, even supposedly non-partisan bureaucracies like the CDC, along with "experts" who evidently have no idea whatsoever of how to quantify risk or balance risk with reality have failed us all.

drumboy
AG
https://www.kmbc.com/article/fauci-indoor-mask-mandates-coronavirus/36376191#

Quote:

Dr. Anthony Fauci says federal guidance on wearing face coverings indoors may change soon.

Sunday on ABC News, Fauci was asked whether it's time to start relaxing indoor masks requirements. Fauci replied, "I think so, and I think you're going to probably be seeing that as we go along, and as more people get vaccinated."
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/09/health/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html

Basically the same report as what was posted above by drumboy, but I figured I'd post where I saw it.
Post removed:
by user
Stat Monitor Repairman
This stale fart scoffed at the general public wearing masks.

Talked down to people like a bunch of peon uneducated neanderthals in flyover country.

Whatever this senile boomer says, I'm doing the opposite.

BohunkAg
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

This stale fart scoffed at the general public wearing masks.

Talked down to people like a bunch of peon uneducated neanderthals in flyover country.

Whatever this senile boomer says, I'm doing the opposite.

He and Biden are in a race to see who become completely senile first.
TarponChaser
So disappointed in my family- meaning my sister and BiL and parents.

My sister and BiL live with their kids outside Denver. Their kids are 10 & 6 and are close to our boys (niece is 9 months younger than our oldest and nephew is 10 days younger than our youngest). My sister has been planning to come down to visit everybody here next month and then drops the whole "if you're not vaccinated we won't be seeing you" in the family text string.

The Mrs. and I have not been vaccinated because we're still exhibiting antibodies from our covid infections 6 months ago. And there's the TBD nature of long-term effects, positive and negative, of the vaccine. We're not opposed to vaccines in general it's the still unknown nature of a lot of things and the still "emergency authorization" rather than standard approvals. Plus, there's the ultimately very low risk of actual bad outcomes vs. the unknowns here.

Of course this blows up on the family text string.

Then my old man, a man with an Ivy League PhD in microbiology calls and starts haranguing me over it. Of course I lay out my reasoning and it's not mere stubbornness. It's reading studies and speaking with doctors, including my primary care physician and weighing the risk vs. reward here.

It's so frustrating for people who are educated and should know better to lose their heads. And even more frustrating to have to defend reasoned and rational decisions made on research and personal risk tolerance.
chimpanzee
TarponChaser said:

So disappointed in my family- meaning my sister and BiL and parents.

My sister and BiL live with their kids outside Denver. Their kids are 10 & 6 and are close to our boys (niece is 9 months younger than our oldest and nephew is 10 days younger than our youngest). My sister has been planning to come down to visit everybody here next month and then drops the whole "if you're not vaccinated we won't be seeing you" in the family text string.

The Mrs. and I have not been vaccinated because we're still exhibiting antibodies from our covid infections 6 months ago. And there's the TBD nature of long-term effects, positive and negative, of the vaccine. We're not opposed to vaccines in general it's the still unknown nature of a lot of things and the still "emergency authorization" rather than standard approvals. Plus, there's the ultimately very low risk of actual bad outcomes vs. the unknowns here.

Of course this blows up on the family text string.

Then my old man, a man with an Ivy League PhD in microbiology calls and starts haranguing me over it. Of course I lay out my reasoning and it's not mere stubbornness. It's reading studies and speaking with doctors, including my primary care physician and weighing the risk vs. reward here.

It's so frustrating for people who are educated and should know better to lose their heads. And even more frustrating to have to defend reasoned and rational decisions made on research and personal risk tolerance.
People have cast their lot with a group based on emotion and appeal to authority. None of that carries much freight with me and the inability to get more substantial reasoning has been frustrating. Everyone else in the world is scared well beyond the actual circumstances and will accept anything to get out of the doom loop.

It's understandable, and sometimes I wish I were more easily persuaded, but I'm just not.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think that's kind of thing people can expect when people have started lumping in folks that don't want to get this vaccination right away with the anti-vaxers we've had for years. We got the vaccine, but I completely understand why some people don't want to.
chimpanzee
Ranger #007 said:

I think that's kind of thing people can expect when people have started lumping in folks that don't want to get this vaccination right away with the anti-vaxers we've had for years. We got the vaccine, but I completely understand why some people don't want to.

Yep, I read "Thinking Fast and Slow" in the past year. It's instructive. People will use lazy mental shortcuts every single time they get a chance, and the "anti-vax" name is deployed liberally rather than engage in reasoning.

XpressAg09
AG
Are they vaccinated? Do they trust their vaccine? They should be fine. If not, why do they hate science?
TarponChaser
XpressAg09 said:

Are they vaccinated? Do they trust their vaccine? They should be fine. If not, why do they hate science?

Yes. They're all vaccinated.

But once again, you're injecting reason into this.
First Page Last Page
Page 411 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.