Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,634 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
TAM85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That chart needs another column for people who have already had covid and have the anti-bodies.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Clear Creek is setting up a virtual school and will require kids doing that to unenroll from their brick and mortar school. There's also some kind of application process to do it, so kids that were sitting at home and making crappy grades probably need not apply. Those kids won't be ranked with their brick and mortar school either to my understanding so the top 10% thing may be a pretty big risk for these kids.

Are they going to be allowed to participate in in-person extracurricular activities, either with the new school or their zoned school? Hopefully virtual school = no extracurriculars for you.
TXTransplant
Our district doesn't allow the kids who go to the Star Academy to participate in extracurriculars.

I doubt we will have a permanent virtual option, but if we do, there is no justification for allowing kids who opt for that to participate in extracurriculars.
Noble07
AG
Quote:

As it should. If you can't make it to class, you don't get to go to practice. Or prom. Or anything else.
Yep! I'm in a graduate program that used to be 100% in person. Since the Fall we've been optional in-person with an online option. Tons of people chose to stay home and watch on zoom. The school is doing a class weekend that will actually be fun and low and behold all of these people are finally wanting to attend in person.

The kids and parents are just being lazy.
FHKChE07
AG
So early on in the pandemic, there was a similar graphic that showed "Risk" of activities during the time of Covid.

And to me, I get to make the decision based on my assumption of the risk vs. consequence if I want to engage in the activity. Now, we are further dividing into vaccinated vs. non-vaccinated and masked vs. unmasked. It is almost as if they are intentionally making it more complicated so people will still just continue wearing masks. They could have come out today and just said that if you are vaccinated, you don't need to wear masks outside, but instead we just made it more complicated.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

And to me, I get to make the decision based on my assumption of the risk vs. consequence if I want to engage in the activity.
That's not just with COVID, but live in general. I think a lot of COVIDians have forgotten this aspect of life, or never really understood the realities and risks they face each day. Everything from eating food to driving to get a shiny new sanitary facial napkin.
Keegan99
AG
Those were "experts" indicating that a number of outdoor activities - as well as plane travel - were risky.
chimpanzee
TAM85 said:

That chart needs another column for people who have already had covid and have the anti-bodies.
It's the same as vaccinated. The silence on the effectiveness of the immune system of the healthy recovered is one of the scammyest feeling parts of the whole thing.

It's always couched in terms of "you can still get infected", without any reference to the severity of any subsequent infection or how contagious you would be.

wessimo
AG

22 "new" cases
Post removed:
by user
gougler08
AG
wessimo said:

22 "new" cases
Code Red
aTm2004
AG
Not only that, but of the new deaths they're reporting, only 3 within the month of April, and 1 reported death of a person 100 years old or older.

chimpanzee
third coast.. said:

But all this talk of infection and contagiousness and what not just seems ridiculous when there's well over 99% survivability rate. We shouldn't even be in this positing in the first place

I knew risk and math were not well understood, but I wasn't cynical enough apparently.

Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
TarponChaser
Odds that Asian in the 50-59 age bracket that died with "no underlying health conditions" was a smoker? I'm putting it at over 95%.
aTm2004
AG
Most likely. I like how they bold that part but not the person who lived ~25 years more than the average life expectancy .
Post removed:
by user
TarponChaser
chimpanzee said:

third coast.. said:

But all this talk of infection and contagiousness and what not just seems ridiculous when there's well over 99% survivability rate. We shouldn't even be in this positing in the first place

I knew risk and math were not well understood, but I wasn't cynical enough apparently.

He's not wrong though.

We've known for over a year that the asymptomatic/undiagnosed was at least 10x the actual positive tests which pushes the fatality rate an order of magnitude lower.
aTm2004
AG
third coast.. said:

And if noone was wearing masks not a single personnwould give a flying **** about this because it just wouldn't register on peoples radars without the constant reminder that we must be afraid.
Yep. I asked a few pages back if people would know COVID was a thing if it weren't for the masks out there to remind us. I certainly wouldn't.
FHKChE07
AG
How have they still not fixed the issue of severely delayed reporting when we are down to 22 cases in the last 2 weeks? Seriously, the labs can't be that overloaded to not be able to get results back... Seems like the state\city is just incompetent.
HtownAg92
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Ranger #007 said:

Clear Creek is setting up a virtual school and will require kids doing that to unenroll from their brick and mortar school. There's also some kind of application process to do it, so kids that were sitting at home and making crappy grades probably need not apply. Those kids won't be ranked with their brick and mortar school either to my understanding so the top 10% thing may be a pretty big risk for these kids.

Are they going to be allowed to participate in in-person extracurricular activities, either with the new school or their zoned school? Hopefully virtual school = no extracurriculars for you.
Maybe they can set up "competitions" with other virtual schools, kind of like home schooler's activities. I can picture:

Karen High School Covidians

vs.

Fauci High School Coronabros

Some sort of virtual rivalry matchup in something their speed, like Rubik's cube or Magic the Gathering.
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
I don't think they want to fix the issue because they know majority of people won't look at the details and just believe the headline.
Post removed:
by user
chimpanzee
third coast.. said:

Sorry, CFR of 1.8% with most of those being old fat people should not lead to shutting down the country. My initial number was wrong. Is that better?
I'm agreeing with you.

People couldn't actually calculate what their risk was and got scared enough to accept all of the restrictions.
Post removed:
by user
chimpanzee
TarponChaser said:

chimpanzee said:

third coast.. said:

He's not wrong though.

We've known for over a year that the asymptomatic/undiagnosed was at least 10x the actual positive tests which pushes the fatality rate an order of magnitude lower.

I know, I guess it read like snark, I meant that I underestimated how gullible people were and how awful our politicians would be to exploit that.
TarponChaser
chimpanzee said:

third coast.. said:

NM

chimpanzee
third coast.. said:

My bad, I completely misunderstood your post.
Tarpon did too, poorly worded on my part.
Post removed:
by user
Keegan99
AG
When there was some concern that the IFR was in the 2-3% range, restrictions made sense. That is the potential for a massive number of dead bodies.

Once it became clear that it was closer to 0.2-0.3% range, every restriction should have been eliminated.

What was bizarre is that so many did not want the disease to be so mild. They were cheerleading death.
TarponChaser
third coast.. said:

Were all in this together, boys
FHKChE07
AG
Well, why don't you act like it and wear your mask, gloves and get your vaccine before working out alone outside in your backyard?
First Page Last Page
Page 401 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.