Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,497,382 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was slightly hopeful CCISD would drop the requirement, but i think they didn't for precisely the reason you mentioned: too many kids would be moving to online school and the juice just isn't worth the squeeze on that one.

They did announce they'd offer virtual next year, but it will require an application, will actually be set up as a different school, and, as a result, will require that students unenroll from their home campus. I don't see there being very many that go that route.
aTm2004
AG
You're right. Won't even get to have a freshman year in college. Poor bassturds.
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
There are so many SAHMs out there who just can't pop the titty out of their children's mouths. My SIL is one of these and I fully expect her to choose to home school or go virtual if it's an option in our district next year when her oldest starts kindergarten. Poor kids haven't been anywhere in over a year and have no friends.
AgCPA95
AG
third coast.. said:

Why the hell does any parent want their kid to go to school online? Except in exceedingly rare circumstances, everything about it is a net negative. It is so ridiculous. My faith in people is completely shot. It is almost like no one is able to think critically. Its unbelievable.
It really is nuts. Our kids have a friend that has done online high school all year, but what is funny is he is over here at our house or my oldest is at his place regularly. Heck, during the freeze he lived with us for three days as they had leaks and ceiling caved in at their house. They all meet tons of other kids regularly down at the park to play basketball and football and he played in a rec basketball team with our boys a few months ago elbow to a-hole for hours on end.....but....but....he can't go to regular high school where they currently wearing masks and distanced in the classroom and at lunch? People have lost their damn mind.
TXTransplant
third coast.. said:

Why the hell does any parent want their kid to go to school online? Except in exceedingly rare circumstances, everything about it is a net negative. It is so ridiculous. My faith in people is completely shot. It is almost like no one is able to think critically. Its unbelievable.

Being able to complete work virtually has been good for my son on the few days he's had to miss school this year. So, there is a plus.

But it also makes it easier for kids to cheat - and with top 10% being so competitive, that's a huge issue. And also a reason why kids might want to do virtual school.
CDUB98
AG
She had a baby in July of 2020.

Scared to give the Rona to the baby.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
CDUB98
AG
Well, she an all-in, TX transplant, Bernie loving Californian.

She believes everything lord fauchi tells her, and then applies her naturally over-worried self to the daily numbers of doom and gloom......

And here we are.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think that's the primary reason that they're making it it's own school next year. I also think that's why they're doing some kind of application process. If you failed everything last year I'm betting you don't get to do it. Same if you've always underperformed and we're suddenly a superstar with online school. I actually think it's liable to be a disadvantage for them since they'll only be measured against other kids doing online course work. Top 10% of 100 is going to be a lot harder to crack. Especially when you may be getting ranked alongside other good students.
Keegan99
AG

Hotez doing his thing.

Side effects of a vaccine? VERY IMPORTANT!

Side effects of lockdowns? WHO CARES!
jenn96
AG
third coast.. said:

For elementary kids, I can't see a good reason. True homeschooling is fantastic if done right, but very tough to do if you have 2 working parents, and the hybrid zoom public-school model was terrible for my kids. But for older kids, I can see the appeal. My niece is a HS junior in Georgetown. Well-adjusted, super-smart, loves learning, fantastic artist and writer, and she has a small but strong friend group. She really liked online school because it allowed her to get done faster and left her more time for self-directed learning, art projects, Capstone project, etc. She decided to go back to in-person at some point last year but really enjoyed the freedom of not being stuck in a classroom for 7 hours and working more at her own (much faster) pace. Never worried about Covid but I could see her having chosen to stay online; it worked for her.

Likewise, I have a friend whose daughter has been bullied and has a lot of social anxiety (also high school). She liked online as well because it kept her away from her tormentors. No fears of Covid (she actually had it last summer); but it was a better situation for her. My friend was convinced she'd have more issues being home and online but it gave the kid more confidence and she's a lot better off right now.

I definitely support moving online schools to a separate model. The hybrid that we (CyFair) used was brutal for kids and teachers - less focus on the kids in the classroom but still dreadful for the kids at home. I feel like my kid's in-person elementary education suffered because their teachers, who worked their butts off, had to essentially teach two classes simultaneously while dealing with IT and tech issues. At least they were in-person, but it has not been an optimal year. And I never want them wearing masks again after this school year.
TarponChaser
Covid irony of the day- the dude walking around Minute Maid Park in a "Don't Tread On Me" t-shirt while wearing a mask.
cone
AG
Keegan99 said:

Hotez doing his thing.

the only thing you can conclude is that they do not want the pandemic to end
TarponChaser
third coast.. said:

TarponChaser
Keegan99 said:

Hotez doing his thing.

I say this with no exaggeration or reservations; Hotez and his ilk should be cast into the deepest, dirtiest, most fiery depths of hell. They have no place in a free society and belong in hell with the likes of Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Mussolini, and Pol Pot.
jetch17
AG
F Hotez
TXTransplant
third coast.. said:

It shouldn't be the kids choice. Adults need to but up and make those decisions for their kids because adults SHOULD know better than to provide their children with a subpar education with a disease that has practically zero effect on school aged kids. This is the educational version of parents who let their kids eat nothing but junk food and become morbidly obese. Those kids don't know better but the damned parents SHOULD.

Parents are just as competitive about top 10%. Maybe even more so.

But I agree with you. My kid ultimately went back because he was struggling in pre-cal and the teacher said the only way he could get feedback on his tests and/or tutoring was to be in person.

Going back changed his schedule, though, and he was assigned to a different English teacher. His grade dropped from an A to a B second nine weeks. He pulled it up to an A last nine weeks and he currently stu has an A, but it's frustrating he had to lose it for one nine weeks.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Politicians love the power. This scam of a 'pandemic' gives them free reign to do whatever they want with no consequences or accountability. People play along out of fear. The rest of us just site here in amazement as the insanity escalates day by day.

Even when this scam of a virus peters out, you can bet they got the next scam teed up ready to go.

There is no way this **** is gonna end.

Its a bitter pill to swallow.
BQRyno
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Politicians love the power. This scam of a 'pandemic' gives them free reign to do whatever they want with no consequences or accountability. People play along out of fear. The rest of us just site here in amazement as the insanity escalates day by day.

Even when this scam of a virus peters out, you can bet they got the next scam teed up ready to go.

There is no way this **** is gonna end.

Its a bitter pill to swallow.

The next one is climate change. If we'll shut down society for a virus that kills 1% of the people who get it, what will we do to stop human extinction?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yep. I could see another attempt at another virus. This was way too easy.
chimpanzee
third coast.. said:

They can't, they're scared into trying to find anyone smart sounding that will tell them how best to avert doom. Doctors are often the only semi-intelligent people that a large chunk of the population will ever deal with, and all it takes is some credentialed chode that looks like a kindly old grandpa telling you that he's scared and they'll cower while watching the mailbox for the next stimulus check.

This turned into a moral panic and those incentivized to keep it going aren't ready to step off stage. The more the rest of us go about our lives and don't all drop dead, the more of them will slowly come back to reality and out of their fear.

The vaccines are a path out for many, I'm hopeful it just fades away.
TXTransplant
I've known and heard about plenty of people who are actually scared of Covid. Those people do exist.

But for the majority of the upper middle class and above, I think stringing this along is just an excuse to keep the new "conveniences" and flexibilities that came with schools and workplaces shutting down.

Think about it - if you're a high income family with a SAHP, you get all the benefits and conveniences of home-schooling but the school has most of the responsibility of the "teaching" part. You can go to Disney World during the school year without having to worry about the kids missing school. You can rent a house in the hill country or at the beach or wherever for a few months. And as I mentioned in a previous post, if your morals are really compromised, you can keep your high schooler in virtual school and allow them to cheat to improve their class rank.

It's the same with WFH. I personally didn't like WFH, but it does make life easier in a lot of respects (assuming you can WFH and still earn your full income).

There are a lot of "benefits" of keeping things shut down that make the lives of the upper middle class and wealthy more convenient (but make the lives of the lower class much more difficult - and will ultimately keep these people from ever moving up). Take it a step further, and if you're really wealthy, you don't care if airlines reduce routes and/or raise prices because you can fly private. If anything, you benefit because your favorite vacation destinations are less crowded.

Everyone else who can't afford to travel right now is over-crowding their closest national park.

I really think a lot of what's happening now is not truly motivated by fear. It's motivated by a sense of entitlement and elitism, it's just being sold as being done out of fear and/or to "keep people safe" to mask that it's really socioeconomic classism. And the politicians are justifying this behavior by putting out these ridiculous stimulus packages.

"You're going to be fine if we restrict your ability to work, earn a living, educate your kids to school, and find affordable housing because we sent you a $1200 check!"
chimpanzee
There's a lot of that too, just a veneer of "safety" virtue to justify things that are making a whole new set of interests very rich right now.

I think the fear and stimmy checks part keeps it politically possible, otherwise the folks that are stuck in a crappy apartment will realized they're getting hosed for no good reason. That's less of an issue here than in places that are still more restricted
TarponChaser
Sadly, I think there's a lot of truth in what you say.

Elitism combined with smug, moral preening.
CW Griswold
TXTransplant said:

I've known and heard about plenty of people who are actually scared of Covid. Those people do exist.

But for the majority of the upper middle class and above, I think stringing this along is just an excuse to keep the new "conveniences" and flexibilities that came with schools and workplaces shutting down.

Think about it - if you're a high income family with a SAHP, you get all the benefits and conveniences of home-schooling but the school has most of the responsibility of the "teaching" part. You can go to Disney World during the school year without having to worry about the kids missing school. You can rent a house in the hill country or at the beach or wherever for a few months. And as I mentioned in a previous post, if your morals are really compromised, you can keep your high schooler in virtual school and allow them to cheat to improve their class rank.

It's the same with WFH. I personally didn't like WFH, but it does make life easier in a lot of respects (assuming you can WFH and still earn your full income).

There are a lot of "benefits" of keeping things shut down that make the lives of the upper middle class and wealthy more convenient (but make the lives of the lower class much more difficult - and will ultimately keep these people from ever moving up). Take it a step further, and if you're really wealthy, you don't care if airlines reduce routes and/or raise prices because you can fly private. If anything, you benefit because your favorite vacation destinations are less crowded.

Everyone else who can't afford to travel right now is over-crowding their closest national park.

I really think a lot of what's happening now is not truly motivated by fear. It's motivated by a sense of entitlement and elitism, it's just being sold as being done out of fear and/or to "keep people safe" to mask that it's really socioeconomic classism. And the politicians are justifying this behavior by putting out these ridiculous stimulus packages.

"You're going to be fine if we restrict your ability to work, earn a living, educate your kids to school, and find affordable housing because we sent you a $1200 check!"

Nail on the head.

Sad thing is that much of the lower classes go along with this. They've given in to the fear and think the ongoing handouts are a good solution. Many can't see it gives them no chance to build skills and experience.
-
aTm2004
AG
Even the local libs in the media are questioning Dora

Nitro Power
AG
Fort Bend went to yellow...

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they using the same coloring book as Harris?
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
aTm2004
AG
Not sure, but they have someone capable of coloring between the lines.
htxag09
AG
CW Griswold said:

TXTransplant said:

Nail on the head.

Sad thing is that much of the lower classes go along with this. They've given in to the fear and think the ongoing handouts are a good solution. Many can't see it gives them no chance to build skills and experience.

A lot of lower class individuals (definitely not all) are going along with it because of stimulus checks and unemployment "bonuses." Why would you go to work at a job making $30k a year when you get sit at home and get just as much on unemployment (last summer it was $1100/wk, no job requirements, no expiration or limit on benefits, right now I think it's $800/wk) add on your stimulus checks every few months. ****, you've got it made. Hell yeah I'm afraid of covid
TexAg91
AG
Stay home? Uncontrolled spread? What an absolute joke after 14 months, plenty of vaccines, case and hospital numbers in the toilet.... she truly does think people are stupid and could not survive without the government. She belongs in DC.

TexAg91
AG
Seriously, still telling people to stay home?????? Just cannot get past such idiocy.
aTm2004
AG
TexAg91 said:

Seriously, still telling people to stay home?????? Just cannot get past such idiocy.

Michael Berry summed it up perfectly this morning. She is a garage band who suddenly had several songs simultaneously on the charts with arenas sold out everywhere, then you burn out and back to being a garage band nobody cares about but still thinks you're playing arenas.
First Page Last Page
Page 391 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.