Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,497,007 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Panama Red
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

At the park today and these 2 mid thirties parents weren't wearing masks but had their 6 year olds playing in masks. That kind of behavior really makes me weep for those kids and their future.
Lets be fair.

Michael Jackson's kids wore masks all through childhood and that turned out just fine.
CoachRTM
AG
My company (O&G, office downtown) just announced everybody back in the office on 4/19. We had been going 2 weeks in, 2 weeks out, alternating half the company at a time.

Once you get both vaccines plus 14 days, you can go without mask. Otherwise, you still have to wear one in common areas, etc. Basically anytime you're not at your desk.
gougler08
AG
CoachRTM said:

My company (O&G, office downtown) just announced everybody back in the office on 4/19. We had been going 2 weeks in, 2 weeks out, alternating half the company at a time.

Once you get both vaccines plus 14 days, you can go without mask. Otherwise, you still have to wear one in common areas, etc. Basically anytime you're not at your desk.
Seems like a logical policy
htxag09
AG
My company (o&g) just announced a phased approach starting in may, half in the office monday and Tuesday and half Wednesday and Thursday. I thought this was what we were doing now lol. Anyways, in the office full time starting in august
gougler08
AG
O&G Major here and we are letting folks that want to go back to the office go in April...probably do the 50/50 split in late May or early June, no clue when back to 100%
CoachRTM
AG
My company has definitely leaned towards the more aggressive side of all this. We were one of the first back in the office at all, and have hardly had any time where no one was in the office. Anyone with an office has pretty much never left.

My wife works at one of the other majors downtown. They haven't even hinted at coming back to the office yet. She also works on a trade floor with no cubicles, etc. between employees so they would have to wear masks all day. Little bit of a different situation there.
wessimo
AG
Any of y'all's companies offering flexible work schedules going forward? Being able to work from home 2-3 days a week would be a really nice option.
aTm2004
AG
AlaskanAg99
AG
Wife was told they're returning May 1. No WFH options as "it doesn't work well" despite a solid year of evidence. No idea on vax requirements or masking.

She's also interviewing with a different company Friday. That company is also100% in office only. Its sad that employees prefer some sort of WFH option, but employers are refusing.

My employer has yet to say what our return-to-office will look like.
aTm '99
Irish 2.0
AlaskanAg99 said:

Wife was told they're returning May 1. No WFH options as "it doesn't work well" despite a solid year of evidence. No idea on vax requirements or masking.

She's also interviewing with a different company Friday. That company is also100% in office only. Its sad that employees prefer some sort of WFH option, but employers are refusing.

I think this will begin to be ushered out over the next 5-10yrs where WFH options are much more prevalent. Think as we get the last of the baby boomers out of their management postions and the "if they're not here, they're not working" mindset goes by the wayside
AlaskanAg99
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

I think this will begin to be ushered out over the next 5-10yrs where WFH options are much more prevalent. Think as we get the last of the baby boomers out of their management postions and the "if they're not here, they're not working" mindset goes by the wayside
Probably. Not sitting in traffic has been so crazy nice. At first I wasn't a big fan, but now that people are accustom to WFH and the tech has improved, it's doable. I still want to go into the office 2 days a week, but it's not my call. I've told my boss what my preferences are and he agrees. But there's been zero indication what's going to happen.

The other factor will be retention, as new hires come on board, we've already seen and lost potential employees who've gone somewhere else because of better/more flexibility. This was pre-pandemic so it's already on upper managements radar, hopefully this accelerates it. I do not know anyone who's had any sort of HR reprimand over work habits. And I've told my coworkers: "Do not **** this up."
aTm '99
htxag09
AG
I'd still argue the productivity on the grand scale. Sure, I handle working from home just fine. But issues I've had just over the last month: meetings starting 10-15 minutes late because people with internet or phone issues, still constant interruptions with dogs barking, I couldn't get some on boarding HR paperwork needed because the HR employee couldn't get their printer/scanner to work, someone in our accounting department slacking while "working from home" so payments were delayed (they're no longer employed).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for work from home and do think it's coming on a grander scale. I'd prefer similar to above and still go in the office a couple days. But I don't think business was as uninterrupted by the transition (even still) as people portray.
Foamcows
AG
being a remote worker for several years now, it has been refreshing to have everyone on the same page... Before Covid I was the only remote employee on the team, and as such I was often out of sight, out of mind. Having everyone remote really changed that and leveled the playing field when it comes to the "office politics" that every office has. As they all migrate back I do wonder if they will return to the old habits (always forgetting to include a dial in for meetings as not everyone is in the office, favorable reviews to those who are "working" because they can be seen at their desk)
Foamcows
AG
There is only one thing i really miss about having an office for... the big empty whiteboard to brainstorm ideas/designs on.... I have yet to find anything that can digitally replicate the experience of a group of people, each with a marker, throwing up their different ideas on how to solve a problem.
Sazerac
AG
On the other side I see people working more hours since they aren't commuting and their "office" is always available.

I'm in Tech and I think we are more productive. There are some delays without having hallway meetings, and overall there are now too many people in too many webexes, but I think people have gotten better at working in parallel on those calls when they don't really need to pay full attention. Better than wasting the time not paying attention in person.
Diggity
AG
these things are happening constantly with you or just one-off events for the most part?

I have about 6-10 webex/teams/zoom meetings a day and you get tech issues every once in a while, but it's pretty efficient for the most part. It gets a bit draining when they're stacked up on top of each other, but hard to argue it's not more efficient than in-person meetings (most of the time).
htxag09
AG
I would say it's somewhere in the middle. Not constant, but enough that it's annoying and not rare.
Caliber
AG
Foamcows said:

There is only one thing i really miss about having an office for... the big empty whiteboard to brainstorm ideas/designs on.... I have yet to find anything that can digitally replicate the experience of a group of people, each with a marker, throwing up their different ideas on how to solve a problem.
Microsoft Whiteboard. Free and does what you are asking about. I've found it really useful for being able to toss up tons of info and have different people edit it.
Unemployed
AG
Foamcows said:

Have you looked into Miro?
BowSowy
AG
wessimo said:

Any of y'all's companies offering flexible work schedules going forward? Being able to work from home 2-3 days a week would be a really nice option.
It's being talked about at my company. Not sure how that's going to work logistically since most of us have desktop computers. I'd imagine they give us all laptops, which would be a pretty hefty expense. I'm sure that expense pales in comparison to the rent they'd be saving.
AlaskanAg99
AG
BowSowy said:

wessimo said:

It's being talked about at my company. Not sure how that's going to work logistically since most of us have desktop computers. I'd imagine they give us all laptops, which would be a pretty hefty expense. I'm sure that expense pales in comparison to the rent they'd be saving.
My team all has workstations at the office. We just remote into them, but the hardware at home is on your dime. I was able to get a work microPC and 2 monitors from my desk so I'm using their equipment. With my laptop right next to it so I can do whatever else (this).

Plus, I really like wearing shorts year round. Not getting dressed up for work has been really nice, let alone sitting in traffic. But I do miss interacting with my coworkers. We don't have kids so WFH hasn't been all that tough.
aTm '99
Flaith
AG
O&G services company here, we got our 30 day notice for phased repopulation a few weeks ago. Our manufacturing facility, technicians, and support people have been going in the whole time.

We switched from 9/80s to a flexible work schedule at the beginning of the year. 2 days in the office, remote work otherwise, with no set time on when you have to be "available" at your desk, on Teams, etc. Pretty progressive and awesome, imo
Chewy
AG
Some City of Houston sports leagues start back up today. Was pretty surprised by that but guess Parks and Recs wants some money rolling back in.
Ramrod
AG
wessimo said:

Yep. We're doing away with our 9/80 and going to a flexible schedule with a target of working 60% of your time in office and 40% out of the office, depending on what exactly you do.
BowSowy
AG
Those of you with these flex schedules - do you have a dedicated office at work? I believe our work is planning to get rid of office space by having people share offices and rotate when they're in office
AgCPA95
AG
Ramrod said:

wessimo said:

Yep. We're doing away with our 9/80 and going to a flexible schedule with a target of working 60% of your time in office and 40% out of the office, depending on what exactly you do.
As a regular office dweller, that is what I would see as ideal for me and my teams.
aTm2004
AG
My company started it's phase in today but is letting people who are "uncomfortable" to continue to work remote. I'm not a 2 comma person, so I'm not in the current phase.

One plus that did come of this is they're shutting the office down each Friday and having everyone work remote going forward (after all are back), so that's a win. I'm hopeful we'll be able to have a good split of in office/WFH going forward and it be left up to the individual Directors how they want their teams to work.
T Durden
AG
Harris County still code red? Has there been anything from our fearless leaders lately?
Irish 2.0
T Durden said:

Harris County still code red? Has there been anything from our fearless leaders lately?

Nope. Just Dora using the official Harris Co. Judge Twitter to denounce Georgia
TarponChaser
Can we drop the damn theater? You know every damn person up there with her has been vaccinated and there's no need to wear a bloody face diaper.
Post removed:
by user
Ronnie
AG
third coast.. said:

Lina always wears the biggest ****ing stupidest mask known to man.
Repurposed over the shoulder boulder holders
htxag09
AG
Watching the Astros game and UNICEF just had a commercial. The tag line was "none of us are safe until we're all safe". So that where we're going with this now???
Aggie71013
AG
Love my 9/80. Not sure I would want give that up considering I already work longer days at home than in the office.
Diggity
AG
Idiots... They're wearing them wrong

First Page Last Page
Page 383 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.