Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,683 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Fitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BohunkAg said:

Fitch said:

Not to beat the dead horse, but go anywhere else in the world and the big takeaway you're hit with repeatedly is the US is the only spot on earth with fat people everywhere and news that focuses on only domestic issues. Doubt that will ever be any different, especially after the year just past.
If you go anywhere else in the world, the US is the only spot on earth where there's anything wrong. **** them.
Can't say I agree.

For all the faults we're stereotyped with, the US is still the ultimate example of prosperity and opportunity for vast swaths of humanity. In those places where there is animosity towards Americans, in the populace not the government, it's there for a reason and in my experience all too valid. But that's the exception, not the rule.

As a general rule people are just trying to get by and provide for their families and complain more about their local issues than anything else...but more often than not when I'm out there traveling I'm struck by how literate people in other countries are on not just their own domestic issues but also in other countries and the US. It's like nothing I've encountered stateside.
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
wonder why that is?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
BohunkAg said:

Fitch said:

Not to beat the dead horse, but go anywhere else in the world and the big takeaway you're hit with repeatedly is the US is the only spot on earth with fat people everywhere and news that focuses on only domestic issues. Doubt that will ever be any different, especially after the year just past.
If you go anywhere else in the world, the US is the only spot on earth where there's anything wrong. **** them.
Fat drunk British tourists in other countries can spot an American accent from a mile away to come and tell you how fat, greedy and dumb Americans are.
gougler08
AG
Fitch said:

BohunkAg said:

Fitch said:

Can't say I agree.

For all the faults we're stereotyped with, the US is still the ultimate example of prosperity and opportunity for vast swaths of humanity. In those places where there is animosity towards Americans, in the populace not the government, it's there for a reason and in my experience all too valid. But that's the exception, not the rule.

As a general rule people are just trying to get by and provide for their families and complain more about their local issues than anything else...but more often than not when I'm out there traveling I'm struck by how literate people in other countries are on not just their own domestic issues but also in other countries and the US. It's like nothing I've encountered stateside.

Get a beer in any of my European colleagues and they love to rail on Americans for any number of stereotypes...
Irish 2.0
gougler08 said:

Fitch said:

BohunkAg said:

Fitch said:

Can't say I agree.

Get a beer in any of my European colleagues and they love to rail on Americans for any number of stereotypes...

I used to work for a company based out of the UK and one of my ex-colleagues decided to go off on a tripe about Trump and the people that voted for him while at a dinner that some customers attended. I work in agriculture and you can guess the audience that was around. I told him to shut up or leave. He complained to HR when he got back to the UK and the CEO called me. I quit three months later. **** the Brits and their know it all sense of entitlement.
chimpanzee
Irish 2.0 said:

**** the Brits and their know it all sense of entitlement.

[brogue]Username checks out[/brogue]
Keegan99
AG

Psycho Hotez is now pushing for vaccinating kids.
Post removed:
by user
TarponChaser
Irish 2.0 said:

gougler08 said:

Fitch said:

BohunkAg said:

Fitch said:

Can't say I agree.

I used to work for a company based out of the UK and one of my ex-colleagues decided to go off on a tripe about Trump and the people that voted for him while at a dinner that some customers attended. I work in agriculture and you can guess the audience that was around. I told him to shut up or leave. He complained to HR when he got back to the UK and the CEO called me. I quit three months later. **** the Brits and their know it all sense of entitlement.

In my experience we already ran the misfits out of America. Sent them back to England where they belong. -Matthew Quigley
jetch17
AG
F gayass Hotez
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

wonder why that is?

I think the US is still a source of fascination/curiosity/inspiration for most people in the rest of the world. They are on the outside looking in.

Americans are too busy watching the Kardashians and Real Housewives to pay attention to anything important. And we tend to take what we have here for granted - meaning I don't think most people care what happens in DC, as long as they can still go to Starbucks, get their nails done, and post selfies documenting it all on Instagram.
cone
AG
Keegan99 said:

Psycho Hotez is now pushing for vaccinating kids.
i'd like these public health officials explain why vaccinating children under EUA is ethical

i'd have less of a problem if they said this was necessary but only after full FDA approval

jabbing kids that are at less risk from this disease from the flu is not the intent of an EUA

jabbing old people at extremely high risk of death is absolutely the intent

until they answer why subverting full FDA approval in the case of children is ethical, they should be ignored

these public health celebrities continue to just play with fire
TarponChaser
I'm convinced that Hotez, Fauci, and the like were all picked on growing up. They were quiet, retiring kids who were only good at school and not remotely popular. Their parents probably sheltered the hell out of them and refused to let them out to play with other kids or do anything remotely risky as part of growing up.

Now, they have a spotlight, a bully pulpit, and a little bit power and notoriety. And they're demanding that everybody be as completely miserable as they are. They have zero concept of how to assess risk and will not be happy until they can play their control games and have everybody living in a hermetically sealed bubble.
cone
AG
the logic being used to argue for child vaccinations is super flimsy -

1. kids can get the disease, get sick, and die - well, same is true for flu and moreso and flu vaccines are not mandatory to attend school, play sports

2. kids represent an unvaccinated reservoir in which new potential vaccine escape variants can emerge - well, isn't the global population especially south america, africa, india, and southeast asia a much larger unvaccinated population. isn't that where the future variants are likely to emerge? so if we're vaccinating children are they going to once again shut down international travel and close borders?

further, one of the main benefits of the mRNA tech is we're going to get bespoke boosters every year into perpetuity. and it's likely they will continue to be highly effective. the vulnerable populations will get regular updates.

none of what i am hearing seems enough to argue for why mandatory vaccination of a non-vulnerable population is ethical under a EUA
LostInLA07
AG
Agree. Children are at an incredibly low risk. I'm not even sure how you measure efficacy in children because essentially none of them experience serious infections. So you're going to have none of the placebo group experience serious infection and also none of the vaccine group. So is it effective? Or you'll have random kids experience minor symptoms and it's just a matter of chance whether or not they are in the vaccine or placebo group.

Frankly if kids experience any side effects similar to what I did, the risk of the vaccine outweighs the benefits for them.
cone
AG
Quote:

So is it effective?
Pfizer study shows it to be 100% effective. I read the study details. It was super under-powered. No freaking way it could be used to gain full FDA approval.

I hate to be that guy because the mRNA tech is kind of awesome and clearly works in adults - but this feels like a ridiculous pharma money grab. we can end the pandemic with the deployed tools on hand.

if you want to lean as hard as possible on adults to get the vaccine, fine. but ****ing around with children at this stage (under EUA) is bullsh.
KlinkerAg11
AG
Didn't data just come out of Israel showing that once adults are vaccinated cases drop in kids?

If that's the case then why the push to vaccinate children if their risk goes down (of infection) once the adults around them are immune?
cone
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

Didn't data just come out of Israel showing that once adults are vaccinated cases drop in kids?
it absolutely did

more evidence as to how public health playing with fire

i anticipate the response to be "we don't know what's going to happen next winter. we have to fully prepare." they're going to lean on future uncertainty and fear (in spite of the expected massive abatement over the summer months).
chimpanzee
cone said:

KlinkerAg11 said:

it absolutely did

more evidence as to how public health playing with fire

i anticipate the response to be "we don't know what's going to happen next winter. we have to fully prepare." they're going to lean on future uncertainty and fear (in spite of the expected massive abatement over the summer months).
It as been known for a while that the rate of transmission from adults to kids is way higher than from kids to anyone else. If adults are vaccinated/immune, it becomes an entirely different dynamic.

But the PH community is drunk on power and can't give it up.
J. Walter Weatherman
cajunaggie08 said:

J. Walter Weatherman said:

aTm2004 said:

CoachRTM said:

aTm2004 said:

CoachRTM said:

aTm2004 said:

CoachRTM said:

aTm2004 said:

CoachRTM said:

Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

CoachRTM said:

I don't understand the people who are upset with others wearing masks. If you don't want to wear one, don't. If a store requires it, either put it on or go somewhere else. 5 years from now when COVID is just a memory, there will still be some people wearing masks - it was common in Asia even before COVID, and I would imagine something similar will happen now here.

Maybe it's just me, but life's too short to get triggered by every person walking around in a mask when it is a personal/ business choice on whether or not they are wearing it (in Texas anyway).

.... And this is coming from someone who thinks that wearing masks is just emotion theater the way 99% of people wear them.
People absolutely have the right to continue to wear masks or any other silly stuff that they want to wear. Businesses absolutely have the right to require masks or any other silly stuff they want to require.

But many people are sheep and won't ditch the mask until others do as well. I went to a completely outdoor event in a huge, spread out park this past weekend and probably 75% of the 2000+ people there wore masks throughout. There was no requirement, there's no state or local mask mandate in place, and there's honestly no risk since it was outside and completely spread out. Yet, the masks continue.

Is it their right? Sure. Is it good for us as a society? Absolutely not. I'm not "triggered" by others wearing masks. But, especially in outdoor situations, it's disheartening.
Ok, so you are disheartened by others' decisions that they personally make. I can understand that. Can you also understand why they would be disheartened by your decision to not wear one? From their vantage point, wearing a mask is (at worst) a minor inconvenience that could "save lives".

Take who is right out of the equation, because they believe you are just as wrong as you believe they are.

I'm sure if you ask them where the 6' rule came from, they couldn't tell you. And if you tell them it was pulled out of someone's ass, they wouldn't believe you, even when you show them proof. You'd think that would be enough for people to question what other BS we've been dealing with for the past year that was forced upon us with zero scientific evidence of it actually working.
I'm sure they'd answer that it came from the CDC, who is filled with scientists that we should be listening to. They believe science is on their side.

Look - I'm not arguing one way or another, I'm trying to reasonably see both sides. There are idiots on both sides of the argument.

Came from the CDC who pulled it out of their ass and had zero scientific proof for it. Do you honestly not see the issue there or are you choosing to be obtuse on purpose?
Everything was pretty civil around here until you started popping up. Chill out a little bit.

Translation: He's right, so I need to hop on the "hate aTm2004 bandwagon" in hopes I'll get some support from the argument I can't refute.

Quote:

I understand the CDC did (does) not have any scientific data for the 6-foot guidelines and has since reduced it to 3 feet. I understand why you don't trust the CDC. I didn't say I agreed with the people who blindly follow the CDC, because I don't.
All I'm doing is questioning it. If the "CDC, who is filled with scientists that we should be listening to" pulled a number out of thin air with zero science supporting it and then pushed it to the masses, I'm wondering why in the hell we should ever trust the CDC again.

Quote:

I CAN at least understand people who do trust them, however. If you don't trust them, who are you supposed to trust and listen to? I'd rather it be the CDC or WHO than the US Government.
I don't trust them because they've been proven to lie to us to push their agenda. Because of that, I will forever question anything they say due to their credibility being about as solid as Juicy's. CDC, WHO, US Government...all the same inside with different clothing.
I don't hate anyone. I rarely post on this board and don't even know who you are. So far, my impression is that you are an antagonist and defensive, and not prone to meaningful conversation.

And ok, you think the CDC lied to you once and you won't believe them again because of that. At least I understand where you're coming from. Like I said, I'm kind of in the middle on all this and just trying to understand everyone's takes.
I don't think they lied to me. It's been proven they have. I'm just not going to sit back and accept anything else they say again because they shot their credibility.

The CDC is still requiring a negative test to come in from other countries even if you are vaccinated. Regardless of any other garbage they have put out, that alone is so absurd and non-sensical that they should lose whatever credibility they have left. Wtf is the point of getting vaccinated if you still have to abide by restrictions like that (and others)?
Because the vaccine doesnt full on stop you from contracting and carrying the virus. It just helps keep you from having really bad symptoms from catching it. I dont see the CDC lifting the negative test guideline until more people are vaccinated locally so the threat of someone bringing in a new variant is minimized.

Others have said this better than me but it's completely against the entire scientific theory behind the vaccines to think that they won't also effectively stop people from catching and spreading it. Just because we don't have years of studies documenting it doesn't mean we shouldn't be confident in that fact. It's like building an entire building to code, structurally sound, etc. and then saying it's not safe to go in because no one has done it yet.

There's zero reason to continue any mitigation once you've been vaccinated and we should be broadcasting that everywhere. Not double masking for political theater like Fauci.
Unemployed
AG
TarponChaser said:

I'm convinced that Hotez, Fauci, and the like were all picked on growing up. They were quiet, retiring kids who were only good at school and not remotely popular. Their parents probably sheltered the hell out of them and refused to let them out to play with other kids or do anything remotely risky as part of growing up.

Now, they have a spotlight, a bully pulpit, and a little bit power and notoriety. And they're demanding that everybody be as completely miserable as they are. They have zero concept of how to assess risk and will not be happy until they can play their control games and have everybody living in a hermetically sealed bubble.
Fauci is no longer a scientist; he's a politician.
cone
AG
Quote:

It's like building an entire building to code, structurally sound, etc. and then saying it's not safe to go in because no one has done it yet.
good analogy

American risk tolerance in the younger more educated set is cripplingly low.
one MEEN Ag
AG
third coast.. said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

And how do you prove that you're living a 'heathy lifestyle'?

Government weigh stations and blood work
Just put scales on those people movers at the airport. If you set the scale alarm off, you've gotta stay on the people mover until you dont.

htxag09
AG
Haven't heard much from our fearless leaders lately. Are Hidalgo and turner doomsdaying and begging people to stay home for Easter? They didn't close all parks like they did last year.
Onceaggie2.0
Lina's in Galveston, Slys in Montrose they aint got time for Covid anymore .
Cyp0111
Metro killed that area/willowbrook
jswags
AG
Wrong thread?
Al Bula
AG
jswags said:

Wrong thread?
obviously Sly and Dora loaded a metro bus with a Rona bomb and sent it down 1960 to Willowbrook to infect POC.
T Durden
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

jswags said:

Wrong thread?
obviously Sly and Dora loaded a metro bus with a Rona bomb and sent it down 1960 to Willowbrook to infect POC.

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. 300+ illegals. Who knows if they have Rona or not, but probably.
Post removed:
by user
Quincey P. Morris
AG
CCISD formed a committee a few weeks ago to look at how the rest of the school year will be handled. They're supposed to announce something on the 12th. I'm actually wondering if they're about to surprise me and drop masks for the rest of the year. I don't really expect it, but it seems possible. I fully expect school to be back to normal next year.
TarponChaser
I need y'all to cheer me up on this somehow. Even with all the good news on the number of people vaccinated, the overall declining rate of cases (especially serious cases), and all the reasons for a real return to normalcy I keep seeing all these fascist bureaucrats, their media tools, and the sheeple in the general public preaching doom and gloom. The Branch covidians and their gospel of the masks and neverending lockdowns.

It's like people don't actually want to be free of this mess. They just want to cower in fear and let the government take care of them and dictate their every move. Really freaking depressing.
Ag06Law
AG
TarponChaser said:

I need y'all to cheer me up on this somehow. Even with all the good news on the number of people vaccinated, the overall declining rate of cases (especially serious cases), and all the reasons for a real return to normalcy I keep seeing all these fascist bureaucrats, their media tools, and the sheeple in the general public preaching doom and gloom. The Branch covidians and their gospel of the masks and neverending lockdowns.

It's like people don't actually want to be free of this mess. They just want to cower in fear and let the government take care of them and dictate their every move. Really freaking depressing.

Sorry, but you're right.
ChemAg15
AG
There is an alarming number of people that genuinely feel that 1) the media is honest and 2) the government works in the best interest. If you trusted the media and government you would be scared too.
First Page Last Page
Page 382 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.