Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,498,959 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bondag said:

What is included in the bed count?

Ideally everyone that needs a bed gets a bed, but what is needed?

If you are at a nursing home with Medgas do you need a hospital bed, or can you get the same level of care where you are? I know Seattle had a poor track record with this, but we know a lot more about what they are dealing with now.
This is exactly what I think. The standard of care says you put a Covid-19 patient that is critical in an ICU bed. But when push comes to shove and the ICU beds are all full, what does the covid patient really NEED? Well, they need access to O2 and maybe a ventilator, and some way for nurses to keep tabs on their vitals. We have thousands of places all over the country, from rehab hospitals, orthopedic surgery centers, plastic surgery centers, etc. that have all of those things. It will take some outside the box thinking to organize it all, but we have the ability to care for all of the patients, they just probably won't all be in hospital ICUs.

Something else to keep in mind is that those #s are total cases he is talking about over the 45-60 day course of the pandemic. So we don't need a bed for every one of those cases at the same time.
Zobel
AG
Another challenge is maintaining isolation from other patients, especially when you do procedures that generate small droplets. Or when decent percentages of your staff start to get sick, or have family who are sick, or kids at home because schools are closed.
aTm2004
AG
txags92 said:

aTm2004 said:

txags92 said:

aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Seeing how obese our population is, id be willing to expect many have weak or sub-optimal lung capacity where pneumonia would take them near death.
More Americans die daily from heart disease (per CDC) than have died total from the Kung Flu, but nobody thinks twice about stuffing a 1200 calorie lunch from Chick-Fil-A into their mouths and then sit down and munch on another 2000 calories for dinner at Pappasitos.
In that case, their poor health choices impact only themselves directly. I wont get heart disease because someone else thinks the fajitas for 2 with extra butter sauce is a special cheat code in their quest for keto gold.
If you think being an abnormally large fatty only impacts themselves, you're blind. Higher insurance costs to us all, calories identified on menus, etc.
You and/or your elderly parents aren't going to die because of somebody else's uncontrolled heart disease...
My uncle's BIL spent a couple of months in ICU and will need a cane for the rest of his life because Ol Boy driving home after a drive thru stop at JITB had a heart attack and swerved into his lane, hitting him head on at 60+. You're right, he didn't die, just had his life changed forever.
Ok, two can play this little pedantic game. It wasn't uncontrolled heart disease that caused your uncle's BIL to be injured, it was the decision to drive with heart disease that caused the issue. Therefore we should just ban all people with heart disease from driving and the problem is solved. Thanks for playing!
Hey, I 100% agree that everyone should be banned from driving, except me. Will make my commute much better in the morning. Let's not stop there...let's add in diabetics, epileptics, Asian women, etc.
AgLiving06
cajunaggie08 said:

AgLiving06 said:

k2aggie07 said:

Think guys. What ends an epidemic?

What have you seen in the past three months, as this thing started from 1 case in China, that makes you think it's going to just stop?

If you want to be optimistic about something, don't hope for it to end. Hope for a large percentage of people to be asymptomatic carriers.

The only thing that's going to "stop" this is a vaccine or treatment option.

Nothing we've done so far stops it. We've merely slowed it down.

So based on current stats, we are willing to risk the livelihood between 97%-99% of the population to protect the fraction.

Instead we should be isolating the fraction while letting the majority build the necessary antibodies/immunities.

And yes, I realize the counter is the 'at risk" won't stay isolated, but that's the freedoms we give to people in this country.
And how do you propose you keep the at risk isolated? round them all up and put them in the astrodome? Are the elderly supposed to avoid contact with the hired or related care takers? Are those fighting cancer or with any other conditions that compromise their immune condition supposed to avoid all medical care and contact with their family members who are out "building immunity." Seeing how obese our population is, id be willing to expect many have weak or sub-optimal lung capacity where pneumonia would take them near death. My dad would consider himself healthy but he wheezes up a storm after any cold. Many who dont even think of themselves as being at-risk probably are.

I wasn't proposing anything. I'm simply pointing out that nothing we've done now is going to help your father. We are trying to "flatten the curve" but none of that is going to keep your father from getting sick. It may be that instead of getting sick this week, he gets sick in 2 months (or potentially never in either case), but we haven't helped him. Only he can help himself.

But lets think through this further.

There's basically two proposals out there.

1. Destroy the economy for 99%+ of the population because the <1% may act dumb.

2. Allow the 99% to build the necessary immunity while continue to maintain the economy and tell the <1% that they need to be responsible.

txags92
AG
aTm2004 said:

txags92 said:

aTm2004 said:

txags92 said:

aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Seeing how obese our population is, id be willing to expect many have weak or sub-optimal lung capacity where pneumonia would take them near death.
More Americans die daily from heart disease (per CDC) than have died total from the Kung Flu, but nobody thinks twice about stuffing a 1200 calorie lunch from Chick-Fil-A into their mouths and then sit down and munch on another 2000 calories for dinner at Pappasitos.
In that case, their poor health choices impact only themselves directly. I wont get heart disease because someone else thinks the fajitas for 2 with extra butter sauce is a special cheat code in their quest for keto gold.
If you think being an abnormally large fatty only impacts themselves, you're blind. Higher insurance costs to us all, calories identified on menus, etc.
You and/or your elderly parents aren't going to die because of somebody else's uncontrolled heart disease...
My uncle's BIL spent a couple of months in ICU and will need a cane for the rest of his life because Ol Boy driving home after a drive thru stop at JITB had a heart attack and swerved into his lane, hitting him head on at 60+. You're right, he didn't die, just had his life changed forever.
Ok, two can play this little pedantic game. It wasn't uncontrolled heart disease that caused your uncle's BIL to be injured, it was the decision to drive with heart disease that caused the issue. Therefore we should just ban all people with heart disease from driving and the problem is solved. Thanks for playing!
Hey, I 100% agree that everyone should be banned from driving, except me. Will make my commute much better in the morning. Let's not stop there...let's add in diabetics, epileptics, Asian women, etc.
Why do you need to drive anywhere at all? All the best stuff is in your back yard, amirite?
Zobel
AG
That's a false choice. The second choice does not exist.

TXTransplant
txags92 said:

Bondag said:

What is included in the bed count?

Ideally everyone that needs a bed gets a bed, but what is needed?

If you are at a nursing home with Medgas do you need a hospital bed, or can you get the same level of care where you are? I know Seattle had a poor track record with this, but we know a lot more about what they are dealing with now.
This is exactly what I think. The standard of care says you put a Covid-19 patient that is critical in an ICU bed. But when push comes to shove and the ICU beds are all full, what does the covid patient really NEED? Well, they need access to O2 and maybe a ventilator, and some way for nurses to keep tabs on their vitals. We have thousands of places all over the country, from rehab hospitals, orthopedic surgery centers, plastic surgery centers, etc. that have all of those things. It will take some outside the box thinking to organize it all, but we have the ability to care for all of the patients, they just probably won't all be in hospital ICUs.

Something else to keep in mind is that those #s are total cases he is talking about over the 45-60 day course of the pandemic. So we don't need a bed for every one of those cases at the same time.
I can't find a link, but isn't the average length of hospitalization something like 2 weeks for severe cases? So you end up with a lot of patient overlap in that 45-60 day period.

And, I personally don't want people trying to scramble to move patients to orthopedic centers, plastic surgery centers, etc. when the really bad SHTF and hospitals are overwhelmed. Let's do what we can now to stop the spread, and hold these alternate ICUs as a contingency plan if necessary.

From the CDC (granted it's data from China, but that's what we have to work with right now).

Quote:

Among critically ill COVID-19 patients in China, the reported case fatality proportion was 49%. In a report from one hospital, 61.5% of critically ill patients with COVID-19 had died by day 28 of ICU admission. [9,15]

htxag09
AG
k2aggie07 said:

That's a false choice. The second choice does not exist.
Not only that, but they're ignoring the biggest factor here.

Take their #1: "1. Destroy the economy for 99%+ of the population because the <1% may act dumb. "

All of this is controlled, yes, it's going to suck for businesses, but most can still maintain operations with take out, delivery, etc. If things reached the point in Houston that they have in Italy, France, Spain, etc. it would be an uncontrolled destruction of the economy and would be a thousand times worse.

People keep harping on "all this to save a few elderly people." There is a lot more at play here.
aTm2004
AG
txags92 said:

aTm2004 said:

txags92 said:

aTm2004 said:

txags92 said:

aTm2004 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Why do you need to drive anywhere at all? All the best stuff is in your back yard, amirite?
Only steaks, fajitas, pork chops, briskets, pork butts, and ribs.
jenn96
AG
Quote:

Instead we should be isolating the fraction while letting the majority build the necessary antibodies/immunities.
This is what England was planning to do - let it spread among the general population, try to protect the elderly - until the Imperial College (UK) came out with a study showing the impact on the overall healthcare system of trying to suppress rather than mitigate the spread. This study almost certainly convinced the Prime Minister to reverse course. It's not just about letting old people die but about keeping a level of care available for the entire population.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf
TAM85
As of today schools in England are still open with no plans to close.
AgsMyDude
AG
TAM85 said:

As of today schools in England are still open with no plans to close.
"UK schools to close from Friday until further notice"

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-schools-to-close-from-friday-11959769

agchugger
AG
That aged about as poorly as a post could age!
Bregxit
AG
Dude Perfect going live in one minute!
Silvy
AG
Barbours Cut and Bayport, Houston's container terminals, are both closed until further notice. Heck.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Damn. Got to wonder what the reasoning is for that.
agdaddy04
AG
Is there a link for this yet
BCSGrubber
AG
https://porthouston.com/operations-are-suspended-at-bayport-and-barbours-cut-terminals/

Positive test
swimmerbabe11
https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/gov-abbott-waives-regulations-to-allow-restaurants-to-deliver-alcohol-due-to-covid-19
Jock 07
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/gov-abbott-waives-regulations-to-allow-restaurants-to-deliver-alcohol-due-to-covid-19

Finally some sanity
CFTXAG10
AG
The Patron Saint of Houston still rocking the Stros jersey. BDE!

CDUB98
AG
silverado_lover said:

Barbours Cut and Bayport, Houston's container terminals, are both closed until further notice. Heck.

This is already affecting the project I am on as we were expecting a shipment at port today. Boat is just sitting.
WES2006AG
AG
lancevance said:

Y'all remember how we used to get the flu and just brush it off, go to work school and just got along with life. What happened to those days
We get it, you don't think this is a big deal. The CDC and just about every healthcare professional in the country disagree with you but I am sure you know better than them.

You really don't need to post pretty much this same sentiment on every thread on Texags all day every day.
95_Aggie
AG
I remember going to school or work with a cold, but never the flu. That's dangerous to those around you.
mm98
AG
95_Aggie said:

I remember going to school or work with a cold, but never the flu. That's dangerous to those around you.

I've always felt many people generalize and say "I've got the flu" anytime they're under the weather with a mild cold.

Having a bad case of the flu sucks terribly
HtownAg92
AG
95_Aggie said:

I remember going to school or work with a cold, but never the flu. That's dangerous to those around you and their families, and makes you a selfish, wanna-be tough guy pr**k.
FIFY.
cajunaggie08
AG
So now that the governor has closed all of the state's bars and restaurants, is Turner and Hidalgo's payout going to be even bigger or do they have to give Abbot a cut?
IrishTxAggie
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

So now that the govorner has closed all of the state's bars and restaurants, is Turner and Hidalgo's payout going to be even bigger or do they have to give Abbot a cut?
He did it because of the ****head spring breakers down on the coast. He's giving them until midnight Friday at least.
Jack Cheese
AG
I have loved ones in the travel business. They own a chunk of a larger company that has many agencies. This company is their retirement.

Things are dire. The slowdown is just a few weeks old but they've already closed all store fronts, cut all salaries by 30% and laid off 1/3 of employees. So far.

It pisses me off. It means that this company had zero cash reserves that they can't even make it a few weeks without teetering on bankruptcy. I think a LOT of businesses are in the same boat. I'm super fortunate to work for a company that is extremely conservative and can weather a storm for many months. I literally thank God every day for that.

So what? I have been one of those who scoffs at Dave Ramsey, while personally operating on far less reserves than I should be. I'm guilty, personally, of assuming the gravy train is constant and guaranteed.

But I think businesses should also have a reckoning after this. Maybe it is wise and proper to not chase every last dollar, to not put every resource into working capital, but save back cash reserves. If every company could operate for a time (a few months?) off reserves I think a lot of pressure would be alleviated right now.

I understand closing shop for a time (like a restaurant that has no customers now) but having reserves available to keep paying people and stay on some kind of footing just seems so wise.

Anyway, off my soap box. Like I say, I'm guilty of same. I hope/pray/intend to make changes so that my family isn't exposed to financial risk.
Premium
AG
Jack Cheese said:

I have loved ones in the travel business. They own a chunk of a larger company that has many agencies. This company is their retirement.

Things are dire. The slowdown is just a few weeks old but they've already closed all store fronts, cut all salaries by 30% and laid off 1/3 of employees. So far.

It pisses me off. It means that this company had zero cash reserves that they can't even make it a few weeks without teetering on bankruptcy. I think a LOT of businesses are in the same boat. I'm super fortunate to work for a company that is extremely conservative and can weather a storm for many months. I literally thank God every day for that.

So what? I have been one of those who scoffs at Dave Ramsey, while personally operating on far less reserves than I should be. I'm guilty, personally, of assuming the gravy train is constant and guaranteed.

But I think businesses should also have a reckoning after this. Maybe it is wise and proper to not chase every last dollar, to not put every resource into working capital, but save back cash reserves. If every company could operate for a time (a few months?) off reserves I think a lot of pressure would be alleviated right now.

I understand closing shop for a time (like a restaurant that has no customers now) but having reserves available to keep paying people and stay on some kind of footing just seems so wise.

Anyway, off my soap box. Like I say, I'm guilty of same. I hope/pray/intend to make changes so that my family isn't exposed to financial risk.

Could we go 6 months without laying people off, maybe. Should we based on good business sense, not necessarily. Just because we can doesn't mean we should or will... at the end of the day if the need for people is there we will keep them.
dragmagpuff
AG

They found a guy with symptoms at the drive through clinic...
BQRyno
AG
I mean, this is a good thing, right? He wasn't sitting in an emergency room around other people. Seems like this is the best way this could work.
dragmagpuff
AG
BQRyno said:

I mean, this is a good thing, right? He wasn't sitting in an emergency room around other people. Seems like this is the best way this could work.
It's definitely the best way to do it from a drive-thru. But the fact that he was put in a stretcher and moving fast makes me think he was in really bad shape. I don't even think they tested him.
Dr. Doctor
AG
WES2006AG said:

lancevance said:

Y'all remember how we used to get the flu and just brush it off, go to work school and just got along with life. What happened to those days
We get it, you don't think this is a big deal. The CDC and just about every healthcare professional in the country disagree with you but I am sure you know better than them.

You really don't need to post pretty much this same sentiment on every thread on Texags all day every day.

Just some context for those that wonder why it's a big deal.

~egon
Zobel
AG
Awesome, man. Thanks!
First Page Last Page
Page 37 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.