Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,497,028 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The olds have already been eligible for awhile, I don't really care about teachers, the teacher:student ratio means it won't take that many to get schools back open. Which frees parents up to work, which is going to start happening shortly. Vaccinate the teachers asap, get the schools back open and we return to normal that much faster.

Time to stop making excuses, open it back up.
aTm '99
cone
AG
T Durden said:

cone said:

also, in a weird way, i think mask mandates help with economic recovery and activity

the sort of anxiety that i hear about dropping of the mandate confirms it. regardless of the mask working or not, it made people completely terrified by the last year go out and be willing to work and spend money.

no reason to keep it up into perpetuity (although arguments on the timing of Texas dropping theirs is up for debate), but it certainly alleviated anxiety for the people the media and public health experts scared ****less

Those in fear can continue wearing them or stay home I guess. This is a good step towards getting back to life.
that's what's going to happen

plus a lot of online finger wagging
TarponChaser
aTm2004 said:

TarponChaser said:

T Durden said:

TXTransplant said:

CoachRTM said:

Diggity said:

CoachRTM said:

I know too many people that have been stuck in their house for a year now.... barely every leaving the house. COVID and the response to it was always going to cause a ton of anxiety and mental issues as we opened back up.... ripping the band-aid off all at once doesn't seem like the right decision here to me.
what band-aid is being ripped off here? These people are still able to stay at home, or not.

Quote:

I personally think masks are useless and mostly just emotion theater to make people feel better
if you truly believe this, you are basically conceding the mandate is political theater...so why are you upset about it being lifted?
The band-aid being ripped off is for us to go to 100% open. You're already seeing people freak out. My opinion is based on what helps the whole country get back to normal the fastest. By going from 25->100, you're basically taking the people who are freaking out and put them in a defensive position that's going to cause this whole thing to drag out even longer.

Yes, the mask is political theater. I wouldn't have done that if I was in charge at the beginning. Being that we are there now, what is the best way to get us out of it? I think a slower approach would have been better.

We should have gone back to businesses 100% open months ago. The businesses that have had their capacity restricted are not "essential businesses", meaning anyone who was agitated of Covid could have easily avoided them in the first place. There was no reason to put govt restrictions in place to keep people "safe".

Example - gyms and exercise classes. If you are so afraid of covid, then you have absolutely no business going to a gym or exercise class. Masks and reduced capacity aren't going to protect you. All the restrictions did was put a huge strain on businesses - particularly small businesses - and cause hardship for the business owners, employees, and customers.

Another example - Disneyland/World. DL has been closed for a year now. Again, if you are high risk or that afraid of covid, DON'T GO THERE! There was absolutely no reason for the govt to shut down an entire industry (at least in CA).

Have you SEEN the number of obese people riding scooters at Disney?

I haz the fats. I also haz arthritic knees and virtually zero cartilage left due to football injuries. I'll be damned if I'm one of those people at Disney. When we've taken our kids I felt downright svelte compared to those land manatees. But for ****'s sake people, have some freaking pride. Get off your lazy ass and walk. I may have been chewing ibuprofen at night like candy after walking 10 miles a day but I'm damn sure not riding one of those fatmobiles.

Those people piss me off something fierce.
We went last February and when I stepped off the bus from the airport to the resort, I sprained my ankle because the driver was an obscene distance from the curb and I was carrying all 3 backpacks for the kids. Before I could hobble over to a bench to sit down, my ankle was throbbing and swollen. The resort offered a wheelchair to use for the week and my wife and mom told me they were going to get me a motorized cart to use. I told them both to eff off with that and I was walking. Wrapped it up and popped a handful of Tylenol each morning and hobbled along. It sucked, but I wasn't riding in a damn cart. What was the ultimate kick to the nuts was the driver told me while I was in pain on the bench that he was out there telling people to watch out for the curb (about 3/4" high) but he went to adjust his mirror right before I got out.

Wasn't that bad though. My son had surgery on his leg the month prior and got his release 3 days before we left for Disney, so we were both hobbling along together, so maybe it was meant to be.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
i'm not fat and am fit and i'll happily ride around on a motorized cart.
chimpanzee
chjoak said:

Ag_07 said:

I've never understood teachers big to-do over all this.

Kids have never been a conduit for spread. We get notifications from daycare constantly about kids being tested and none have come back positive.

From what I've gathered a teacher has a better chance of getting it at the grocery store than at school.

My wife is a preschool teacher at a small church preschool. She held a student that wasnt feeling well for 2 hrs. That student later tested positive for covid. My wife never got anything. The only other person in that student's house that got covid was her mother but she was present at the event where they believe a teenager (niece) exposed them both.
Kids very rarely pass it to anyone else. They sequenced the direction of transmission of the virus in Iceland and did not find anyone that got it from a kid. A similar study in Korea found one, a 16 year old that gave it to a sibling.
chjoak
AG
chimpanzee said:

chjoak said:

Ag_07 said:

I've never understood teachers big to-do over all this.

Kids have never been a conduit for spread. We get notifications from daycare constantly about kids being tested and none have come back positive.

From what I've gathered a teacher has a better chance of getting it at the grocery store than at school.

My wife is a preschool teacher at a small church preschool. She held a student that wasnt feeling well for 2 hrs. That student later tested positive for covid. My wife never got anything. The only other person in that student's house that got covid was her mother but she was present at the event where they believe a teenager (niece) exposed them both.
Kids very rarely pass it to anyone else. They sequenced the direction of transmission of the virus in Iceland and did not find anyone that got it from a kid. A similar study in Korea found one, a 16 year old that gave it to a sibling.
In this case a 15yo passed it to 4yo and a 32ish yo.
CoachRTM
AG
Some of you need to stop thinking of this in terms of what makes sense in fighting the virus. It's about getting society back to normal. Getting all kids back in schools is a big deal in terms of getting parents back in the workplace, etc. Teachers being next up for the vaccine makes perfect sense to me if your goal is to be 100% back to normal by the fall of this year. (or as close as you can get)
jetch17
AG
My first grader passed it to the other 3 of us in our house ... wasn't a big deal though. Neither kid was actually 'sick' other than a fever for one day.
CFTXAG10
AG
CoachRTM said:

Some of you need to stop think of this in terms of what makes sense in fighting the virus. It's about getting society back to normal. Getting all kids back in schools is a big deal in terms of getting parents back in the workplace, etc. Teachers being next up for the vaccine makes perfect sense to me if your goal is to be 100% back to normal by the fall of this year. (or as close as you can get)
I think that is the goal here. Nothing much changes then everything back to normal school-wise in the fall.
CFTXAG10
AG

Quote:

The TEA said Wednesday that local school boards can maintain current protective measures or vote to rescind virus precautions, including masks.

"Under this updated guidance, a public school system's current practices on masks may continue unchanged," the education agency said in a statement. "Local school boards have full authority to determine their local mask policy."
Link
Bondag
AG
jetch17 said:

My first grader passed it to the other 3 of us in our house ... wasn't a big deal though. Neither kid was actually 'sick' other than a fever for one day.

You would have an 18 year old in first grade.
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG

can't wait for that mythical finish line!
Premium
AG
Cloth does zero for a virus, yet a ton of the outrage comes from these woke ETSY virtue signalers.

Chipotlemonger
AG
"After some digging, Varsoy Healthcare is actually an Indian Pharmaceutical company. The chart was posted to their Instagram then removed after a few days once it gained traction and notability on Facebook due to clear bias. They sell masks such as the N95, FFP1, and common surgical mask. Their chart was biased toward the very masks that they manufacture."

Food for thought.
Keegan99
AG
Could tell something was up when it claimed surgical masks protected against virions.
Diggity
AG
gotta hand it to them though...it's very visually pleasing.
Irish 2.0
Surgical masks get 95% against virus??
chimpanzee
CoachRTM said:

Some of you need to stop thinking of this in terms of what makes sense in fighting the virus. It's about getting society back to normal. Getting all kids back in schools is a big deal in terms of getting parents back in the workplace, etc. Teachers being next up for the vaccine makes perfect sense to me if your goal is to be 100% back to normal by the fall of this year. (or as close as you can get)

I get where you're coming from, but doing pointless things to make people that were purposefully deluded into their fear feel safe isn't normal either.
CoachRTM
AG
Giving teachers the vaccine isn't pointless. If nothing else, it starts the cycle of getting us back to a "normal" school/work week.

Giving teachers vaccines -> schools are safer -> kids go back to school -> parents go to work.

chimpanzee
CoachRTM said:

Giving teachers the vaccine isn't pointless. If nothing else, it starts the cycle of getting us back to a "normal" school/work week.

Giving teachers vaccines -> schools are safer -> kids go back to school -> parents go to work.

Teachers aren't high risk because they're teachers and being in the classroom doesn't increase their risk. It has been studied, check Norway. Jumping them ahead of people whose health could be more impacted by the virus is much worse than pointless.

If they're next in line to make it more politically palatable to open schools after the high risk people are out of the way, fine, it's not making much of a difference who gets it at that point except to provide political cover. Which is what I see as the pointless part.

Many schools are open and doing just fine.
chimpanzee
Irish 2.0 said:

Surgical masks get 95% against virus??

Since when has an infographic ever lied?
Post removed:
by user
CoachRTM
AG
chimpanzee said:

CoachRTM said:

Teachers aren't high risk because they're teachers and being in the classroom doesn't increase their risk. It has been studied, check Norway. Jumping them ahead of people whose health could be more impacted by the virus is much worse than pointless.

If they're next in line to make it more politically palatable to open schools after the high risk people are out of the way, fine, it's not making much of a difference who gets it at that point except to provide political cover. Which is what I see as the pointless part.

Many schools are open and doing just fine.

It is my understanding that teachers are behind those "whose health could be more impacted by the virus"

1. Healthcare/ essential workers
2. Those over 65
3. Those with pre-existing health issues
4. Teachers

That makes sense to me. I'm sure we could nitpick whatever list that was put together because we're never all going to agree... but that list makes sense.
CoachRTM
AG
third coast.. said:

CoachRTM said:

Yall will never get on the same page in this argument because your premise is completely different than so many others in this thread. Schools and restaurants and businesses etc shouldn't have been closed in the first place, but certainly not schools, so doing some ridiculous tiered reopening thing to appease the covid crazies is not something I dont think many will be on board with. Open it all. Now. If people want to take extra precautions then they can. Stop ruining lives and certainly get things back to normal IMMEDIATELY for the kids.

I don't mind disagreeing, and I respect your opinion. However you're merging two different topics. Vaccinating teachers next has nothing to do with whether we have a phased opening or a 100% open approach.

Also, I agree that schools and restaurants and businesses shouldn't have been closed in the first place. That's another topic as well.
Irish 2.0

jetch17
AG
I signed up for the city link for the J&J vaccine this morning specifically with no conditions selected and just got a link to schedule ... since I've had covid within the last 90 days I figure I'll pass and just get it in a few months when it's widely available and let someone else have it.

Still crazy to see how easy it already is to get if you just try, even without lying to jump line
Irish 2.0

Diggity
AG
what did you put here, Honest Abe?

Ag_07
AG
Guess what??

Teachers and kids can go back to school safely RIGHT NOW.
jetch17
AG
Other, fool.
Bondag
AG
Diggity said:

what did you put here, Honest Abe?

Yo tengo un trabajo essential
TXTransplant
jetch17 said:

I signed up for the city link for the J&J vaccine this morning specifically with no conditions selected and just got a link to schedule ... since I've had covid within the last 90 days I figure I'll pass and just get it in a few months when it's widely available and let someone else have it.

Still crazy to see how easy it already is to get if you just try, even without lying to jump line

I signed up for that today, too. No conditions selected. Haven't gotten a text, though.
jetch17
AG
Wierd DP
TXTransplant
jetch17 said:

Ugh. Didn't think it posted.
First Page Last Page
Page 359 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.