Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,498,700 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
rosco511
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm just thankful that every restaurant is on social media letting me know that they will continue to keep everyone safe by requiring everyone to wear a mask while walking into and out of the restaurant (but not for the other 99% of the time while actually inside the restaurant). Without this kind of commitment to safety, no telling how much COVID would have spiraled out of control to this point.
lunchbox
camelclub said:

it has now been over a year since the 1st quarantines were announced at Rice University.

I'll never forget those words as I see them everytime i open this thread
If you click on the timestamp of the last post (under the little eyeball icon) on the main page, it will go to the last page of the thread. No need to go to page 1 first.
Post removed:
by user
Bondag
AG
third coast.. said:

camelclub said:

it has now been over a year since the 1st quarantines were announced at Rice University.

5 bucks a month and you can go to the most recent post in a thread.
I think you can go to end of thread for free. You have to pay to go to the last place you read.
Post removed:
by user
cone
AG
practically, i'm having a hard time seeing how things are going to change

i would think the much bigger change is removal of capacity constraints, although i don't know what those were as of yesterday tbh, social distancing and WFH seem to be much larger drivers than the masks we've been told are acceptable for use.

on the mask issue, people who wear masks and feel comforted by the masks are going to continue to wear them and avoid people who aren't wearing them. same as before.

private businesses are now going to have to take the responsibility on their shoulders, so the politics of the masking is getting punted down to the micro/corporate level.

biggest deal is that mask mandates provide psychological cover to the people most comfortable with masking. no fear being seen as "weird" if you're very pro-mask. and i don't think masking is going away immediately either. but this represents the first step towards the conditioned response to revert to something more resembling pre-pandemic, and that scares the ever-living **** out of a lot of people.

i just don't see this as a band-aid being ripped off at all, but the first step towards healthy people wearing masks going out of "normal" behavior

personally, i got no problem with the cultural norm being that if you're sick during cold and flu season that you stay home. and if you go out, you wear a mask. but covering up your face in public for months and years at a time - that seems like a way to completely re-wire how we treat other humans. hard pass, regardless if it means more flu deaths than we saw this winter.
swimmerbabe11
I look forward to poking my head around each corner and saying "Are we mask people...or not mask people? what are we?" With my mask ready to head back into my purse.
cone
AG
also, in a weird way, i think mask mandates help with economic recovery and activity

the sort of anxiety that i hear about dropping of the mandate confirms it. regardless of the mask working or not, it made people completely terrified by the last year go out and be willing to work and spend money.

no reason to keep it up into perpetuity (although arguments on the timing of Texas dropping theirs is up for debate), but it certainly alleviated anxiety for the people the media and public health experts scared ****less
texsn95
AG
Slappy74 said:

Both my employer and the contractor we are working with have announced that all COVID protocols will remain in place. No indication of when they'll roll back.
Just curious, are you working on a topsides project?
XpressAg09
AG
Is everyone dead yet?
CW Griswold
They all died in Florida, so we're next.
-
T Durden
AG
cone said:

also, in a weird way, i think mask mandates help with economic recovery and activity

the sort of anxiety that i hear about dropping of the mandate confirms it. regardless of the mask working or not, it made people completely terrified by the last year go out and be willing to work and spend money.

no reason to keep it up into perpetuity (although arguments on the timing of Texas dropping theirs is up for debate), but it certainly alleviated anxiety for the people the media and public health experts scared ****less

Those in fear can continue wearing them or stay home I guess. This is a good step towards getting back to life.
chimpanzee
I think it will work out fine. People are all over the place on masks, etc. Some wear them only because they have to and don't want to be confrontational. The "teeth" of the confrontation, a state mandate, won't be there going forward, so those people will stop wearing them. Some places will cater to people that don't want masks, others will continue to require them and people/businesses can pick and choose what works best for them.

Maybe we'll all end up segregating, but we'll have another data point showing which actions actually made a difference. I expect it will be sent to the memory hole.
Daddy-O5
AG
This all reminds me of when kids were going to just start dying in the streets when open carry was allowed a few years back.
htxag09
AG
My gym sent out an email today containing this:
Quote:

First, with this change, as of Wednesday, March 10 masks are no longer required in the club. Certainly, this is a personal decision and members can continue wearing a mask should they choose. Our Life Time Team Members will continue wearing masks at all times. Additionally, with the removal of social distancing requirements, on March 10 all amenities will again be available including access to all cardio and strength machines. You can visit your club page to learn more.
BohunkAg
AG
Teachers in the priority group for the vaccine now. I agree with this.

Irish 2.0
BohunkAg said:

I'm okay with this as long as they open everything up. No more online bull***** No cancelling athletic events and school programs. AND FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, LET THESE KIDS GAIN THEIR IDENTITY AND INDIVIDUALITY BACK BY NOT WEARING MASKS!!

Teachers' Unions can fry in hell for all I care
wessimo
AG
BohunkAg said:

They should have been right after the medical community IMO. Better late than never I guess.
tylercsbn9
AG
BohunkAg said:

I am curious to see if this coincides with TEA recommending districts stop with masks in schools.
T Durden
AG
Did TEA come out with a new statement?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
wessimo said:

BohunkAg said:

They should have been right after the medical community IMO. Better late than never I guess.
Why? Are teachers and the medical community taking up all the hospital beds?
tylercsbn9
AG
T Durden said:

Did TEA come out with a new statement?
Basically just said they would evaluate and release updates later this week (after the Abbotts PC yesterday).
T Durden
AG
Ok I saw that. I know you are plugged in because your wife is a cy fair teacher. Was wondering if there was any good rumors behind the scenes.
tylercsbn9
AG
T Durden said:

Ok I saw that. I know you are plugged in because your wife is a cy fair teacher. Was wondering if there was any good rumors behind the scenes.
All CY Fair has said is still planning for masks for this school year but they did mention something about TEA. I basically got the impression it could still be revisited.

That is why I am very curious about the timing with this teacher vaccine announcement.
Bondag
AG
wessimo said:

BohunkAg said:

So now teachers are more important than old people, truck drivers and grocery store workers?

Get the old
Get the at risk
Teachers are not special
BohunkAg
AG
Bondag said:

wessimo said:

BohunkAg said:

So now teachers are more important than old people, truck drivers and grocery store workers?

Get the old
Get the at risk
Teachers are not special
I don't understand the drive to "get the old" first. Is vaccinating a 95 year old in a nursing home really more important than vaccinating nurses, who if you knock out several of them for two weeks, you put a strain on the already overworked healthcare system?
Ag_07
AG
I've never understood teachers big to-do over all this.

Kids have never been a conduit for spread. We get notifications from daycare constantly about kids being tested and none have come back positive.

From what I've gathered a teacher has a better chance of getting it at the grocery store than at school.
T Durden
AG
This is what I got from cy fair. They just said they are reviewing and waiting on guidance from TEA. Until then no changes. I'm overly interested because two of my kids have had to quarantine. One of them twice. Missing their sports activities and having to "learn from home". The 14 day quarantine sucks.

This afternoon, Governor Greg Abbott issued an order rescinding the statewide mask mandate, effective March 10, 2021. We are in the process of reviewing the order and awaiting updated public health guidance from the Texas Education Agency. Until further notice, CFISD's LEAD Safely protocols and procedures will continue to be followed.
CFTXAG10
AG
Yepp, and a lot of teachers I know are out and about living life as close to normal as possible.

Only thing I can think of is doing this to try and speed up the process to get masks off campuses, and getting back to a "normal" school setting.
aTm2004
AG
TarponChaser said:

T Durden said:

TXTransplant said:

CoachRTM said:

Diggity said:

CoachRTM said:

I know too many people that have been stuck in their house for a year now.... barely every leaving the house. COVID and the response to it was always going to cause a ton of anxiety and mental issues as we opened back up.... ripping the band-aid off all at once doesn't seem like the right decision here to me.
what band-aid is being ripped off here? These people are still able to stay at home, or not.

Quote:

I personally think masks are useless and mostly just emotion theater to make people feel better
if you truly believe this, you are basically conceding the mandate is political theater...so why are you upset about it being lifted?
The band-aid being ripped off is for us to go to 100% open. You're already seeing people freak out. My opinion is based on what helps the whole country get back to normal the fastest. By going from 25->100, you're basically taking the people who are freaking out and put them in a defensive position that's going to cause this whole thing to drag out even longer.

Yes, the mask is political theater. I wouldn't have done that if I was in charge at the beginning. Being that we are there now, what is the best way to get us out of it? I think a slower approach would have been better.

We should have gone back to businesses 100% open months ago. The businesses that have had their capacity restricted are not "essential businesses", meaning anyone who was agitated of Covid could have easily avoided them in the first place. There was no reason to put govt restrictions in place to keep people "safe".

Example - gyms and exercise classes. If you are so afraid of covid, then you have absolutely no business going to a gym or exercise class. Masks and reduced capacity aren't going to protect you. All the restrictions did was put a huge strain on businesses - particularly small businesses - and cause hardship for the business owners, employees, and customers.

Another example - Disneyland/World. DL has been closed for a year now. Again, if you are high risk or that afraid of covid, DON'T GO THERE! There was absolutely no reason for the govt to shut down an entire industry (at least in CA).

Have you SEEN the number of obese people riding scooters at Disney?

I haz the fats. I also haz arthritic knees and virtually zero cartilage left due to football injuries. I'll be damned if I'm one of those people at Disney. When we've taken our kids I felt downright svelte compared to those land manatees. But for ****'s sake people, have some freaking pride. Get off your lazy ass and walk. I may have been chewing ibuprofen at night like candy after walking 10 miles a day but I'm damn sure not riding one of those fatmobiles.

Those people piss me off something fierce.
We went last February and when I stepped off the bus from the airport to the resort, I sprained my ankle because the driver was an obscene distance from the curb and I was carrying all 3 backpacks for the kids. Before I could hobble over to a bench to sit down, my ankle was throbbing and swollen. The resort offered a wheelchair to use for the week and my wife and mom told me they were going to get me a motorized cart to use. I told them both to eff off with that and I was walking. Wrapped it up and popped a handful of Tylenol each morning and hobbled along. It sucked, but I wasn't riding in a damn cart. What was the ultimate kick to the nuts was the driver told me while I was in pain on the bench that he was out there telling people to watch out for the curb (about 3/4" high) but he went to adjust his mirror right before I got out.

Wasn't that bad though. My son had surgery on his leg the month prior and got his release 3 days before we left for Disney, so we were both hobbling along together, so maybe it was meant to be.
tylercsbn9
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Yepp, and a lot of teachers I know are out and about living life as close to normal as possible.

Only thing I can think of is doing this to try and speed up the process to get masks off campuses, and getting back to a "normal" school setting.

Teachers are a different breed than you'll see in Chicago here in Texas. Especially in the burbs. Most don't want to have masks. They want normal schools and would take it yesterday. Sure there's some like you see in places like Chicago but they're the minority.
SW-14
AG
lunchbox said:

camelclub said:

If you click on the timestamp of the last post (under the little eyeball icon) on the main page, it will go to the last page of the thread. No need to go to page 1 first.
Holy crap, I've been on TexAgs for nearly 17 years now and never knew this.
T Durden
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Teachers are a different breed than you'll see in Chicago here in Texas. Especially in the burbs. Most don't want to have masks. They want normal schools and would take it yesterday. Sure there's some like you see in places like Chicago but they're the minority.

If that is accurate then the cy fair teachers didn't do a very good job of putting the union lady on a leash before the school year started..
Texan_Aggie
AG
Bondag said:

wessimo said:

BohunkAg said:

Get the old
Get the at risk
Teachers are not special
Haven't 65+ been eligible for a while?
chjoak
AG
Ag_07 said:

I've never understood teachers big to-do over all this.

Kids have never been a conduit for spread. We get notifications from daycare constantly about kids being tested and none have come back positive.

From what I've gathered a teacher has a better chance of getting it at the grocery store than at school.

My wife is a preschool teacher at a small church preschool. She held a student that wasnt feeling well for 2 hrs. That student later tested positive for covid. My wife never got anything. The only other person in that student's house that got covid was her mother but she was present at the event where they believe a teenager (niece) exposed them both.
First Page Last Page
Page 358 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.