Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,193 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trillions of dollars thrown at the Corvid problem and we testing people in an abandoned Jack in the Box.

chimpanzee
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Trillions of dollars thrown at the Corvid problem and we testing people in an abandoned Jack in the Box.

You're looking at it all wrong.

When trillions of dollars are falling from the sky, and no one cares whether what you are doing actually helps solve a problem, even an abandoned Jack in the Box can play act like a healthcare facility.
chimpanzee
swimmerbabe11 said:

I've thought about how easy it would be for gypsies to set up a tent and a printer and get some swabs and just poke around in peoples noses for $150 bucks while they wait in their car for 15 minutes and they print out a random yes or no result.
Have you seen the quality control on merch for a sports team that just won a championship? You could have sold 2017 World Series gear the day after game 7 that didn't spell "Houston" correctly. We're doing that with virus testing.

I hope those out of work movie theater concession stand workers and night club bouncers at least read the manual on the testing machine twice.
AgLiving06
Stats from TMC are really good today:

chimpanzee
AgLiving06 said:

Stats from TMC are really good today:

Yep. Looking more like we're on the downhill side of the peak for hospitalizations, hopefully cases too.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
chimpanzee said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I've thought about how easy it would be for gypsies to set up a tent and a printer and get some swabs and just poke around in peoples noses for $150 bucks while they wait in their car for 15 minutes and they print out a random yes or no result.
Have you seen the quality control on merch for a sports team that just won a championship? You could have sold 2017 World Series gear the day after game 7 that didn't spell "Houston" correctly. We're doing that with virus testing.

I hope those out of work movie theater concession stand workers and night club bouncers at least read the manual on the testing machine twice.
wait so you're telling me that my Horston Astos 2017 Wild Series Champeens t-shirt isn't legit???
FalconAg06
On a related note, how selfish are boomers? Why hasn't the messaging this entire time been "if you are old or sick stay the eff in doors forever and don't see anyone"

Watching all these old people who got to go to prom, got to date, got to party yelling at kids to stay under lockdown is ridiculous.

"Stop going out in public, that way we can go out in public"
chimpanzee
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

chimpanzee said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

wait so you're telling me that my Horston Astos 2017 Wild Series Champeens t-shirt isn't legit???
Have to dodge those MLB lawsuits somehow.
chimpanzee
FalconAg06 said:

On a related note, how selfish are boomers? Why hasn't the messaging this entire time been "if you are old or sick stay the eff in doors forever and don't see anyone"

Watching all these old people who got to go to prom, got to date, got to party yelling at kids to stay under lockdown is ridiculous.

"Stop going out in public, that way we can go out in public"

There's a whole line of assumptions that have to hold up for things to go as they have. Some of the emotional reactions to people questioning these assumptions were particularly telling about what was going on in the big picture here.

The first was when Trump mentioned that he didn't want the reaction to the pandemic to cause more problems than it solved. His political opponents immediately sprang into action to paint anyone that thought of the costs of the reaction to be immoral and horrible people. The intentionally created the environment for lockdowns to be the only morally acceptable choice. The speed and intensity of the reaction to a very common sense thing to consider was telling.

Another was the questioning of asymptomatic spread. Respiratory viruses don't spread asymptomatically by and large. This was a bog standard assumption historically that was anathematized immediately. When a couple of scientists with their heads down, aloof to the politics involved managed to release studies that concurred with the old science, they were shouted down by the same hysterical voices that demanded that we do not consider costs of interventions.

And also, the disregard of differences in risk among populations. Regular healthy people in the US think they have a 17% chance of dying if they catch it because media will not report that even if you are 65+, it's only ~5% and if you have no comorbidities, it's something way less than that. It leads to the ridiculous thought that the only option is to try to stop it everywhere while costing more money and doing nothing instead of focusing resources where it would help save lives. The old, we can't stop it where it would make a difference, but we can stop it everywhere in the whole country.

I don't like drifting off into conspiratorial thinking here, but I think it was self reinforcing with a few incentives. Social media wants clicks, and fear will drive that up. Those voices pushing fear also wanted control in an election year, so anything that would calm fear was squashed and the bad stuff was amplified.

Now the fear is of less utility, Chicago schools, California restaurants and New York bars are opening to restore some normalcy back in people's lives so they'll forget about it before the midterm narratives start getting baked.
FalconAg06
Great post. As you said unfortunately once you refuse to take the most draconian measures on the table as reasonable, you "are not taking the problem seriously" and will be accused of having the blood of hundreds of thousands on your hand.

The spectacle of watching a 400 pound old in a wheelchair with oxygen criticizing a 12% body fat 19 year old as "making an unhealthy life choice" for not wearing a mask will never cease to be hilarious though.
HtownAg92
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

chimpanzee said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

No, because the Astos were the only team in the history of MLB before or since that broke a rule and were involved in the biggest scandal not only in the history of sports, but in the history of humankind.
BohunkAg
AG
Reading this story, this guy got fired and vilified for no reason.

Keegan99
AG
Quote:

Gokal, who worked for Harris County Public Health, was supervising a vaccine distribution site on Dec. 29 when an opened vial of Moderna doses was left over at the end of the day, around 6:30 p.m. Since the doses would expire within six hours, Gokal through his attorney said that he offered the vaccine to health workers and police on site, but they declined or already had been inoculated.

Gokal said he called a supervisor at the health department, who knew of no available patients. He then used contacts in his cell phone and administered about nine doses off-site to eligible recipients: elderly residents or those with certain medical conditions. He said he gave the final dose to his chronically ill wife after 11 p.m., unable to find any other recipient.

Hope this guy lawyers up and sues anyone he can. He did nothing wrong.
Bondag
AG
They are getting volunteers for some of the sites by offering them leftover vaccine at the end of their shift. This is a common practice. Would they rather that the 9 vials go to waste? They can't re-freeze them so it is either find some that can use it or throw it in the trash.

Thank God he found the last sane judge in Harris County.
Betoisafurry
Can't believe we re-elected that dip*****

JK, the city of houston is populated with morons.
CDUB98
AG
Bond, yes, the government would rather it go to waste because doing otherwise violates protocol.

Can't have anyone going off script.
BohunkAg
AG
Keegan99 said:

Quote:

Gokal, who worked for Harris County Public Health, was supervising a vaccine distribution site on Dec. 29 when an opened vial of Moderna doses was left over at the end of the day, around 6:30 p.m. Since the doses would expire within six hours, Gokal through his attorney said that he offered the vaccine to health workers and police on site, but they declined or already had been inoculated.

Gokal said he called a supervisor at the health department, who knew of no available patients. He then used contacts in his cell phone and administered about nine doses off-site to eligible recipients: elderly residents or those with certain medical conditions. He said he gave the final dose to his chronically ill wife after 11 p.m., unable to find any other recipient.

You missed this part too

Quote:

Gokal said he entered all of the recipients into the state's database the following day, as required.
Dude even buttoned up his paperwork and they STILL fired him and tried to make him a criminal.
Irish 2.0
True justice would be that any awards from a lawsuit would come out of Ogg's salary
Jackal99
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

True justice would be that any awards from a lawsuit would come out of Ogg's salary
Irish 2.0
Jackal99 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

I know it would never happen, but a man can dream right? How much blood is on her hands with her bail reform and refusing to prosecute bull*****
Ag06Law
AG
Is everyone ready to play the vaccine lottery?

https://abc13.com/health/judge-hidalgo-announces-new-covid-19-vaccine-waitlist/10004275/

Quote:

The waitlist is said to be weighted and randomized, meaning the website won't necessarily favor whoever has the quickest internet connection. Once the portal opens Tuesday, everyone will be able to register.

If you fall under the 1A, 1B or seniors groups, then your registration will be weighted for priority, and it will then be randomized within the priority list.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I've already had it, I could give a ****
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
How long until our fearless leaders jump on this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/well/live/double-masking-covid.html
jetch17
AG
F that.
XpressAg09
AG
Three masks and goggles or GTFO
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
A couple weeks ago I was running at memorial park and ran past someone in a full on asbestos remediation suit out for a Sunday stroll
WorthAg95
AG
Keegan99 said:

Quote:

Gokal's lawyer was on Michael Berry this morning. People getting SUUUUEEED.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
XpressAg09 said:

Why stop there? "Kill yourself to slow the spread."
Post removed:
by user
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
According to the article, he has a good one representing him.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Ag06Law said:

Is everyone ready to play the vaccine lottery?

https://abc13.com/health/judge-hidalgo-announces-new-covid-19-vaccine-waitlist/10004275/

Quote:

The waitlist is said to be weighted and randomized, meaning the website won't necessarily favor whoever has the quickest internet connection. Once the portal opens Tuesday, everyone will be able to register.

If you fall under the 1A, 1B or seniors groups, then your registration will be weighted for priority, and it will then be randomized within the priority list.

The algorithm slightly weights in favor of the persons that voted in the democratic primary according to the county voter registration database.

I'm talking ever so slightly. Y'all won't even notice it.
XpressAg09
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

XpressAg09 said:

Why stop there? "Kill yourself to slow the spread."

htxag09
AG
We nominate xpressag09 as our first tribute
First Page Last Page
Page 340 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.