Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,527 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So bars closed again, restaurants back to 50% and elective surgeries on hold again. All due to the magic 15% threshold. Sigh.
drumboy
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

So bars closed again, restaurants back to 50% and elective surgeries on hold again. All due to the magic 15% threshold. Sigh.
When the news reported this last night they followed up with, "but this won't apply to Harris County because all bas have been converted to restaurants."

Is this true? I hope TBones is still open.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
htxag09
AG
I highly doubt all bars converted to restaurants. However, Harris county never allowed bars to open back up, so if a bar didn't convert to a restaurant than its remained closed.

Second, it'll still apply as restaurant capacity is being rolled down to 50%.
TarponChaser
Meanwhile, "The Economist" discusses how Japan was able to manage far better without draconian shutdowns or overreaching governmental intervention and not even testing much.

The Japanese authorities understood covid-19 better than most

Quote:

These insights allowed the authorities to make granular distinctions about risks, opting for targeted restrictions rather than swinging between the extremes of strict lockdowns and free-for-all openings. Nishimura Yasutoshi, the minister overseeing the government's response to covid-19, carries a device that monitors carbon dioxide to measure the quality of ventilation during his meetings. (The room where he and your correspondent meet registers 506 parts per million, safely below the threshold of 1000 ppm that indicates poor air flow. The interview takes place across a large table, behind plastic shields and with face masks on.)

Researchers deployed Fugaku, the world's fastest supercomputer, to model different situations. Crowded subways pose little risk, if windows are open and passengers wear masks, Mr Nishimura insists. Sitting diagonally, rather than directly across from each other can reduce the risk of infection by 75%. Movie theatres are safe, "even if viewers are eating popcorn and hot dogs", Mr Nishimura says. While most cinemas in the West are closed, "Demon Slayer", a new animeflick, has been playing to full houses in Japan, becoming the country's second-highest grossing film ever. In addition to the 3cs, the Japanese government warns of five more specific dangers: dinner parties with booze; drinking and eating in groups of more than four; talking without masks at close quarters; living in dormitories and other small shared spaces; and using changing or break rooms.

Of course, these insights would have been for naught if ordinary people had ignored them. But Japanese heeded the government's advice to stay home and to quarantine if showing any symptoms of the coronavirus, even though these admonitions carried no legal force. "Sometimes we are criticised for being an overly homogeneous society, but I think it played a positive role this time," Mr Nishimura says. And already *****-and-span Japan became even more punctilious about hygiene. While Americans argued over whether face coverings were an assault on personal freedom, Japanese lined up outside Uniqlo for the release of its new line of masks. During the first ten weeks of flu season this autumn, Japan saw just 148 cases of common influenza, or less than 1% of the five-year average for the same period (17,000).
chimpanzee
TarponChaser said:

Meanwhile, "The Economist" discusses how Japan was able to manage far better without draconian shutdowns or overreaching governmental intervention and not even testing much.

The Japanese authorities understood covid-19 better than most

Quote:

These insights allowed the authorities to make granular distinctions about risks, opting for targeted restrictions rather than swinging between the extremes of strict lockdowns and free-for-all openings. Nishimura Yasutoshi, the minister overseeing the government's response to covid-19, carries a device that monitors carbon dioxide to measure the quality of ventilation during his meetings. (The room where he and your correspondent meet registers 506 parts per million, safely below the threshold of 1000 ppm that indicates poor air flow. The interview takes place across a large table, behind plastic shields and with face masks on.)

Researchers deployed Fugaku, the world's fastest supercomputer, to model different situations. Crowded subways pose little risk, if windows are open and passengers wear masks, Mr Nishimura insists. Sitting diagonally, rather than directly across from each other can reduce the risk of infection by 75%. Movie theatres are safe, "even if viewers are eating popcorn and hot dogs", Mr Nishimura says. While most cinemas in the West are closed, "Demon Slayer", a new animeflick, has been playing to full houses in Japan, becoming the country's second-highest grossing film ever. In addition to the 3cs, the Japanese government warns of five more specific dangers: dinner parties with booze; drinking and eating in groups of more than four; talking without masks at close quarters; living in dormitories and other small shared spaces; and using changing or break rooms.

Of course, these insights would have been for naught if ordinary people had ignored them. But Japanese heeded the government's advice to stay home and to quarantine if showing any symptoms of the coronavirus, even though these admonitions carried no legal force. "Sometimes we are criticised for being an overly homogeneous society, but I think it played a positive role this time," Mr Nishimura says. And already *****-and-span Japan became even more punctilious about hygiene. While Americans argued over whether face coverings were an assault on personal freedom, Japanese lined up outside Uniqlo for the release of its new line of masks. During the first ten weeks of flu season this autumn, Japan saw just 148 cases of common influenza, or less than 1% of the five-year average for the same period (17,000).

The last sentence there just torpedoed anything they might have a decent point about in the article. At best it's a complete non sequitur, but the author is clearly trying to get the reader to infer that Japan's masking and obedience eradicated the flu.

Influenza has absolutely disappeared everywhere, even where 'rona is raging and they have military enforced curfews, masks, closures, everything.

This is emblematic of reporting on COVID, the press is purposefully misleading people and has from the get go.
XpressAg09
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

So bars closed again, restaurants back to 50% and elective surgeries on hold again. All due to the magic 15% threshold. Sigh
It'll work this time!!!
Post removed:
by user
Keegan99
AG
Japan has not trended well of late.

Still quite good for a country of 125 million with a median age of 48, however.

As with nearly all of Asia-Pacific.

swimmerbabe11
Big Al 1992 said:

and yet the convention center is still holding a Bridal Expo.

makes sense.
Big Al 1992
AG
So why has flu disappeared - masks work on flu but not Covid? More people staying home with flu like symptoms? Work from home? Is flu being reported as Covid?
chimpanzee
Farce mask - Australia fines retailers for overstating mask efficacy

chimpanzee
Big Al 1992 said:

So why has flu disappeared - masks work on flu but not Covid? More people staying home with flu like symptoms? Work from home? Is flu being reported as Covid?
No one is really sure, or if they are it doesn't play well to the rest of the story.

I've heard some say that the NPI's work on flu but not the 'ro because the 'ro is so much more transmissible, but we're talking complete efficacy against flu and basically zero efficacy against 'ro, when all pre-2020 science agreed that the NPI's do not impact the flu or any other respiratory virus.
ChipFTAC01
AG
What are NPI?
Chewy
AG
So, like, can I still wear my mask until I'm sitting down and then get served food and booze in the Tine?

I think all of this is silly but the above is all I really care about at this point.
cone
AG
weird thing is RSV is also non-existent

it's only rhinovirus and Covid happening now
chimpanzee
ChipFTAC01 said:

What are NPI?
Non-pharmaceutical intervention
Keegan99
AG
Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions

All the mask-wearing, social-distancing, business-closings, and other rain dances to try to "control" a seasonal respiratory virus.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, the RSV thing is very strange.

There's more social distancing than typical, but millions of kids are still interacting and still have crappy hygiene. I don't get why RSV has essentially disappeared from the pediatric world this time around.

Is Covid someone spreading at the expense of flu and RSV?
Bondag
AG
Diggity said:

There's more social distancing than typical, but millions of kids are still interacting and still have crappy hygiene. I don't get why RSV has essentially disappeared from the pediatric world this time around.

If kids don't get RSV when they are young and better equipped to handle it can they get a worse RSV when they are older and their immune system is not as equipped to handle it?
chimpanzee
Diggity said:

It's a weird thing that virologists might take a crack at explaining if they weren't too busy enjoying the spotlight that they are in while simultaneously trying to obscure every bit of scholarship that their field produced prior to last year.
TarponChaser
I think the recent Japan uptick is indicative of the idea that the spread isn't really curtailed by the lockdowns and masks but the spread is increased by the colder weather.
Caliber
AG
Bondag said:

Diggity said:

If kids don't get RSV when they are young and better equipped to handle it can they get a worse RSV when they are older and their immune system is not as equipped to handle it?
RSV is only bad for the young typically.

Just a cold when you're older. That is why they try to keep kids from getting RSV.
Diggity
AG
yeah, that's my thought. I don't think RSV is like chicken pox where you want to get it out of the way
chimpanzee
TarponChaser said:

I think the recent Japan uptick is indicative of the idea that the spread isn't really curtailed by the lockdowns and masks but the spread is increased by the colder weather.
The seasonality is definitely there, whether it's the cold or some other factor that makes it ebb and flow, I don't know. Regions around the world rise and fall together, regardless of their interventions.
jetch17
AG
Lina cranking up the fear dial some more:

NEW: We've confirmed the FIRST Texas case of the more contagious, "British" strand in Harris County. This is disturbing. Along with our recent trends, we could be on the road to a crisis if we don't change our behavior NOW. Do your part.
TarponChaser
jetch17 said:

Lina cranking up the fear dial some more:

NEW: We've confirmed the FIRST Texas case of the more contagious, "British" strand in Harris County. This is disturbing. Along with our recent trends, we could be on the road to a crisis if we don't change our behavior NOW. Do your part.

Lina can lick my taint after I go on a bender of booze and Thai spicy dishes at Thai Gourmet.
jetch17
AG
sh*t, now i want some Tom Yum Goong at TG
bearkatag15
AG
Yeah the doctors my wife works with at her hospital are convinced that UK strand has been here for awhile already.
wessimo
AG
The green curry sounds good about now.
wessimo
AG
Seems likely.
Alex Bregman
AG
Are we threat level double red yet?
CDUB98
AG
My hypothesis is that the UK strain of the virus is just the next natural mutation which is why it's popping up in randomness places too.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Yeah the doctors my wife works with at her hospital are convinced that UK strand has been here for awhile already.
It's been here a while and it is substantially less virulent. Basically mild cold.
Keegan99
AG
Yep. That's pretty much how every coronavirus in the history of mankind has evolved.

Nature selects for higher transmissibility and lower harm.

It's speculated that the 1890 "Russian Flu" that killed over a million was really the now-common OC43 coronavirus, for example.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Just so we're clear:

China virus / Wuhan virus = Not OK.

British strain / UK strain = Yes!, very OK, cheers mate.
First Page Last Page
Page 332 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.