Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,495,919 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
HtownAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

Bassmaster said:

My anecdotal experience is that many private schools are participating in the nonsense as well.
virtual learning and teachers never showing up and all of that trash? woof.
Depends on the private school. Ours has been excellent.
LostInLA07
AG
HtownAg92 said:

third coast.. said:

Bassmaster said:

My anecdotal experience is that many private schools are participating in the nonsense as well.
virtual learning and teachers never showing up and all of that trash? woof.
Depends on the private school. Ours has been excellent.

Same. I think private schools are simply able to react to the specific circumstances at their schools vs having to create a district wide policy that doesn't always make sense when applied to specific circumstances at a given campus.

There is also a very different motivation for private schools because they don't receive funding simply by existing. Most people aren't going to pay private school tuition for an extended period of "virtual" schooling.
MAS444
AG
Our kids' school has been great and hasn't shut down. Reasonable precautions taken. Kids wear masks and are fine with it. Won't last long. The kids will be just fine. Bunch of drama queens on this thread.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
MAS444
AG
Quote:

it is absolutely undeniable that the education of millions of children has been at best hampered and at worst completely destroyed for them going forward.

Okay...well I guess that settles it. I really hate to hear that.

But my personal observations of the kids I see at school tells me all is well. Kids are resilient as hell. Of course they'd prefer not to wear them if you asked. But the masks will go away and life will move on. The ones that will have issues have nut jobs for parents to begin with...but that's always been the case.

Clearly I'm not an expert on the subject though and I hate to learn that the whole generation is doomed.

Bassmaster
AG
MAS444 said:

Our kids' school has been great and hasn't shut down. Reasonable precautions taken. Kids wear masks and are fine with it. Won't last long. The kids will be just fine. Bunch of drama queens on this thread.
It has been a semester. Is that reasonable? Two semesters, three? My kids wear masks too and don't complain, but because they are fine with it doesn't make it an appropriate response at this point IMO. My kids have also been participating in various extracurriculars since mid summer sans masks. There have been fewer reports of cases within those activities than cases at their school with masks.
TXTransplant
third coast.. said:

some kids can wear masks and will be fine, some, like the kids of the guy who posted earlier about his neighbor who probably have to wear masks inside their own home and whose parents dont leave, will not be.

no matter which way you slice it, making kids wear masks all the time is absolutely ridiculous. My kids have been going to daycare sans mask for months and months and there hasnt been a hint of rona at the daycare, yet public schools are these terrible places that must shut down on a whim, even though they have ridiculously strict mask policies. It is all theater and i dont think rational adults should force their kids in to being in the play, so to speak.

all that aside, it is absolutely undeniable that the education of millions of children has been at best hampered and at worst completely destroyed for them going forward.

Trust me when I say those kids would have problems, virus or no virus, masks or no masks. This just happens to be the crisis du jour that their parents are (over)reacting to.
MAS444
AG
Yeah again I'm not an expert on the subject so can't really answer that. We generally just try to deal with the cards we're dealt, don't freak out over things we can't control and try to make the most of it. I'm probably just a simpleton having my mind controlled by the evil powers that be though. Ignorance is bliss!
Pahdz
my biggest argument here is that we as parents have a duty to NOT let them become this.

like MAS444, i have a similar experience with my daughter's school up here in MN. that being said, we're making every effort to send her out to play with her neighborhood friends every day, and hopefully this 4 week mini-shutdown we're experiencing here ends Friday, and we can get back to youth sports as well. We're doing our best to make sure her mental health is taken care of, virus be damned.

I have family who are like the ones posted about previously (mask everywhere, can't see friends, don't leave the house) and i seriously worry about their long term health. my 7th grade niece was well on her way to probably becoming a professional ballerina, and she quit this summer because she didn't want to dance in a mask, I just can't fathom how her parents let her throw away her passion over this.

Long story short, you're right, but also maybe a tad overboard, but I think most of us are doing our best with our kids.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Now the counter argument to that is that I'm sure the super Coronakarens think they're doing the best for their kids as well. She probably thinks it's criminal that we had a small outdoor birthday party for our kids in October. When my wife politely told her about it (knowing that there is no way she/they would come) she wanted to know when it was to make sure that her kids weren't around and ask if they could go over.
Pahdz
Oh they absolutely do, the divide between my wife's family and our household in regards to this is wide. My niece has hung out with a real live friend once during this entire thing. The list of requirements to go to my in-laws was so demanding we didn't go because we weren't going to isolate our 10 year old for two weeks.
Bassmaster
AG
I'm not an expert either, but because my kids are involved, I have an opinion. My concern is that nobody wants to go against the norm and begin the process of easing restrictions on the kids. I'm afraid we'll look up and two school years have gone by and we are still doing the same things. Is it the vaccine we are waiting on? What if enough people don't get the vaccine? We've been back in church for about 6 months now and the kids don't have to wear masks. Zero issues.
Diggity
AG
Gotta agree with MAS here. Over the course of history, kids have gone through much more stressful things than intermittent isolation and wearing some cloth on their faces.

Will there be some consequences from all of this? Sure. I'm not buying that we're going to lose a whole generation because of the pandemic.
TXTransplant
I agree with you on this. Most kids will recover.

The bigger problem is, I think a disproportionate number of the kids who do fall even further behind are going to be those who are economically disadvantaged. Which means they are also more likely to be minorities.

We've created an even bigger problem than we already had when it comes to disadvantaged kids. And, because of the current narrative, that problem is likely going to be blamed on racism, even though the cause is much more complex than that.
CowtownAg06
AG
I think the lack a real education for many (not all) kids for what may be 3 semesters is a huge issue. Kids wearing masks for that same time will not effect their social development the same way.
Foamcows
AG
kids that rely 100% on their school to handle all of their prep for the real world were already doomed without covid. Now the gap will just be wider.
Post removed:
by user
Pahdz
Your last paragraph is still too doomsday-y for me, but dead on in your first three.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
third coast.. said:

as TXT said the poor and minority children are going to be even further left behind than they already were, and who do you think is going to be supporting those kids as they get older. It is ruining any chance those people had at a future and creating an even larger class of government reliant people.
This. And from an excessively political standpoint, I find it a bit sad/ironic that the people championing the school shut downs are the same group that profess to be the ones fighting on behalf of the poor and minorities.

What's crazy is that I've heard that HISD alone has completely lost contact with five figures of at-risk kids during the shut down.
CoachRTM
AG
HISD was in a bad spot almost immediately. At this point they're trying to save face as much as they can.

The separation between the lower income kids and the rest will be as bad as it has been in my lifetime.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Quote:

I find it a bit sad/ironic that the people championing the school shut downs are the same group that profess to be the ones fighting on behalf of the poor and minorities.

The actions being taken today make low income families even more dependent on handouts and the need for Dems to take care of them. I don't think Democratic leaders thought about that initially, but they quickly realized you don't let a good crisis EVER go to waste...
kapon
AG
That is exactly what I think!
NASAg03
TXTransplant said:

I agree with you on this. Most kids will recover.

The bigger problem is, I think a disproportionate number of the kids who do fall even further behind are going to be those who are economically disadvantaged. Which means they are also more likely to be minorities.

We've created an even bigger problem than we already had when it comes to disadvantaged kids. And, because of the current narrative, that problem is likely going to be blamed on racism, even though the cause is much more complex than that.
Many of those kids won't just "fall behind." They quit and never return. Then they go to the streets for alternate ways to survive, or get stuck in low-paying jobs due to a lack of HS degree.

Few connect the dots between who they vote for and why they are in the situation they are in. Thanks liberals!
aTm2004
AG
Had to run into town for something and saw a couple blasting down 59 without a helmet, but they did have their COVID mask on. Glad to see they have their priorities in order.
TX04Aggie
AG
Did they have a little motorcycle trailer full of crap or another motorcycle dragging behind "in tow" like all the trucks on SW Frwy do in keeping with Tine tradition.
Alex Bregman
AG
aTm2004 said:

Had to run into town for something and saw a couple blasting down 59 without a helmet, but they did have their COVID mask on. Glad to see they have their priorities in order.
Amazing
aTm2004
AG
No. They were squids on a lowered Gixxer. So...go fast straight. Oh **** curve!
BowSowy
AG
Did you bring a backup t-shirt just in case you got into another altercation?
aTm2004
AG
Please, those COVIDiots wouldn't be at a bar amid this pandemic.
texagbeliever
aTm2004 said:

Please, those COVIDiots wouldn't be at a bar amid this pandemic.
you underestimate just how selfish they are. If it is something they enjoy doing they find an exception to their rules on safety.
aTm2004
AG
Onceaggie2.0
Houston hospitals overrun yet someone said they were teetering a few pages back?
Ag_07
AG
Sly had a presser today to urge you to cancel your Christmas.

Quote:

"Please get tested before Christmas Eve," Turner said.

The mayor said people should also cancel their gathering and postpone their holiday travel to help "avoid a surge on top of a surge."

And yeah...We're in code red for these numbers since March in a city of what 6 million.

Quote:

Turner said an additional 777 coronavirus cases were reported Monday, bringing the city's total cases to 111,211. Three more deaths were also reported, bringing the city's total deaths to 1,530.

F me

gougler08
AG
Ag_07 said:

Sly had a presser today to urge you to cancel your Christmas.

Quote:

"Please get tested before Christmas Eve," Turner said.

The mayor said people should also cancel their gathering and postpone their holiday travel to help "avoid a surge on top of a surge."

And yeah...We're in code red for these numbers since March in a city of what 6 million.

Quote:

Turner said an additional 777 coronavirus cases were reported Monday, bringing the city's total cases to 111,211. Three more deaths were also reported, bringing the city's total deaths to 1,530.

F me

So google says city of Houston proper is at 2.326 MM people...so after 9 months we've had 4.7% of the population get it and 0.06% of people die from it

For ****s sake
First Page Last Page
Page 319 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.