Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,676 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
ChemAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Day 7 of coronavirus. Symptoms are a cough, loss of taste, and loss of smell. I've traded the dayquil for alcohol and I feel much better as a result
TXTransplant
ChemAg15 said:

Day 7 of coronavirus. Symptoms are a cough, loss of taste, and loss of smell. I've traded the dayquil for alcohol and I feel much better as a result

Having my first glass of wine in over 2 weeks. It doesn't taste like much. Not sure if that's because of the 'rona or because the open bottle has been sitting on my counter since the day after Thanksgiving.
ChemAg15
AG
TXTransplant said:

ChemAg15 said:

Having my first glass of wine in over 2 weeks. It doesn't taste like much. Not sure if that's because of the 'rona or because the open bottle has been sitting on my counter since the day after Thanksgiving.

I definitely cant taste my beer which is why I'm sipping bud ice, left over from when my FIL visited
TXTransplant
No sense in wasting the good stuff!
CDUB98
AG
I know two people who say they still can't stand the taste of red wine since they had the Rona.

Something about the sulfates.
TXTransplant
CDUB98 said:

I know two people who say they still can't stand the taste of red wine since they had the Rona.

I had red. It didn't taste bad in any way, just didn't have much taste at all.

However, over the last few days, I've noticed things that are definitely not spicy having a spicy flavor. It's very odd.
Al Bula
AG
CDUB98 said:

that's quite the feat. I know some folks who had rona too but I forgot to drill them on how things tasted. Thanks for the field report. Next time I'll do better.
aTm2004
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

TXTransplant said:

I'm not advocating hysteria or panic, but I do not know where I contracted the virus. Thinking back to the 3-5 days before I lost taste/smell, I either got from someone who I was more than 6 ft apart from and/or was not in contact with for more than a few minutes (may or may not have been wearing a mask), or I got it from a surface someone who was infected left their germs on (in a bathroom or kitchen).

With that said, none of my close contacts have gotten it from me, including a friend who I visited for a couple of hours (no mask) less than two days before I lost taste/smell, coworkers who I ate lunch with the day before I lost taste/smell, and my supervisor who did my performance review the day before I lost taste smell (we did wear masks and sat at least 6 ft apart).

16 year old son has also had zero symptoms (obviously, he could be asymptomatic).

For the past 7 months, I've been taking reasonable precautions, without completely shutting down my life as I previously knew it. I've made choices, like attending small group fitness classes, knowing what the risk was. I let my kid go back to school.

I finally did get it, the symptoms were minor, and now I have antibodies and can REALLY get back to normal life.

I've never been scared of the virus and have tried to take a very balanced, pragmatic approach.

But some people are just terrified. I'm not sure there is anything that could reassure those people at this point, but I don't see any need to criticize them, even if it is on an anonymous message board. Just let them do their thing, no matter how absurd it may seem.

I think there are enough "untraceable" infections out there that people have cause to be concerned about even a short interaction. And this idea that masks + 6 ft completely prevents infection is a joke.

This whole idea of everyone trying to rationalize where they got the Rona is insane. It's a respiratory virus. You can get it anywhere and masks don't do anything. Can you pinpoint where you have gotten colds or the flu previously?

Exactly. My wife cooked something for a friend of hers yesterday and took it to her for dinner. Turns out, her husband has been in the hospital for a week with some kind of virus (not the rona) and it has turned their family upside down, hence a meal or two they don't have to worry about. My wife said her friend was venting to her about not understanding how he got sick because they're careful and both are working from home right now and doing virtual learning for their kids. She even asked my wife to mask up when she walked up and they talked at the door. My wife, being my wife, apparently said "it's like you can't prevent yourself from getting sick," and then caught herself, wished her husband well, told her to call if she needs something, and left.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I didn't know they even still made Bud Ice
LostInLA07
AG
They probably don't. Just still trying to unload the initial batch run.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Our next door neighbors are nice enough but super paranoid Corona folks. Their kids have been nowhere since March other than to grandmas and maybe the school park on the weekend. I don't think I've seen the wife drive anywhere since March. Husband is pretty much the only one going out and my wife said that at least earlier in the summer he'd go to the grocery store, and then immediately strip down, wash his clothes and take a shower. The knly people they are seeing are their parentsn(and now a nanny/tutor since school has started back up.

They won't let their boys (5 & 3) broach the edge of their yard when we're our with our kids in the front yard playing. When she walked over to hand a Christmas card to my wife she out on a mask in the front yard.

Basically there's nothing more that she possibly could do to not catch the Rona.

And she got it back in August.
Post removed:
by user
Stat Monitor Repairman
Sure seems like the the folks terrified of rona end up catching it and the folks who dont give a f are just going about their lives.

Also of note, talked to a doctor a few hours ago that has intubated 50+ patients since this whole thing began. He said once you go on a ventilator your chances are 50/50. He also said that the vast majority of people he's intubated have multiple other health issues. Said that vast majority of patients have also been POC for whatever reason.
TXTransplant
ChipFTAC01 said:

Our next door neighbors are nice enough but super paranoid Corona folks. Their kids have been nowhere since March other than to grandmas and maybe the school park on the weekend. I don't think I've seen the wife drive anywhere since March. Husband is pretty much the only one going out and my wife said that at least earlier in the summer he'd go to the grocery store, and then immediately strip down, wash his clothes and take a shower. The knly people they are seeing are their parentsn(and now a nanny/tutor since school has started back up.

They won't let their boys (5 & 3) broach the edge of their yard when we're our with our kids in the front yard playing. When she walked over to hand a Christmas card to my wife she out on a mask in the front yard.

Basically there's nothing more that she possibly could do to not catch the Rona.

You probably don't know the answer to this, but why the heck is the wife still staying at home and sending the husband out?

She's the one with the antibodies. If she really was trying to protect her family, she'd be the one going out to the store and running errands (at least since August).

These kind of stories make me think people have other motivations for behaving like this (think martyr complex).
tamuags08
AG
He's probably grateful to escape her insufferable existence for an hour a week that he jumps at the opportunity.
Post removed:
by user
ChipFTAC01
AG
They are big ole up tops to go with her big ole middle and giant bottom and huge legs.

She's a big girl. He's a socially awkward guy.
TXTransplant
Stories like this make me simultaneously feel confused and thankful that I'm single.
CDUB98
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

CDUB98 said:

that's quite the feat. I know some folks who had rona too but I forgot to drill them on how things tasted. Thanks for the field report. Next time I'll do better.

cone
AG
FalconAg06
ChipFTAC01 said:

They are big ole up tops to go with her big ole middle and giant bottom and huge legs.

She's a big girl. He's a socially awkward guy.

I feel like this is the version of Avril Lavigne's skater girl refrain for the 2020 hellscape

"She's a big girl, hes on SSRI's, can I make it any more obvious"
rhoswen
AG
Personally, I think they thrive on the self-righteousness. It makes them feel superior, which they don't get under "normal."
TXTransplant
rhoswen said:

Personally, I think they thrive on the self-righteousness. It makes them feel superior, which they don't get under "normal."

Self-righteousness and martyr complex usually go hand-in-hand, at least for the people I've known that behave that exhibit those characteristics.

Gotta think there are a ton of people right now whose anxiety is through the roof because they can't control what other people are doing.
rhoswen
AG
*I* am, but it isn't because some people don't wear masks.
TXTransplant
Oh, definitely. I'm just referring to a specific kind where people lose their minds because they can't control the behaviors and lives of the people around you.

I can be empathetic to people who struggle with anxiety, but not so much the situation where they use it as an excuse to try to control and manipulate others
chimpanzee
ChipFTAC01 said:

Those kids are scarred for life now, and I'm not even joking.

When these kids start interviewing for jobs, it's going to make today's screen zombies look like motivational speakers.
Post removed:
by user
StillNotAnAggie
chimpanzee
third coast.. said:

there is going to be a generation of people who are morons because school was either stopped altogether or dumbed down to neanderthal levels, are weird because htey missed out on a lot of crucial socialization, people who are scared of everything and those whose parents succumbed to the paranoia and have been programmed to do what ever politicians tell them. there really are going to be relatively so few people who have been educated and taught to think rationally, critically and for themselves. what a weird time to be growing up.

Lots of kids are going to be socially a year younger with bodies and hormones that kept right on trucking. This amount of time is a huge percentage of a kid's life, and the smallest of them aren't going to know what to do once they start seeing strangers' faces for the first time.
Post removed:
by user
Bassmaster
AG
My anecdotal experience is that many private schools are participating in the nonsense as well.
TXTransplant
So, I was thinking about this from a different perspective yesterday, and the CDC guidelines really have backed employers and schools into a corner.

I said a few pages back that my supervisor didn't have to quarantine despite doing my performance evaluation the day before I lost smell and taste.

The reasoning for this was because we both wore masks, sat about 6ft apart, and the meeting only lasted for about 15 minutes. Coworkers that I went to lunch that day did have to quarantine because you take your mask off to eat.

No one got sick from their interactions with me, but I was a bit surprised that my supervisor didn't have to quarantine, just to be safe. In my mind, it was just as likely that he could have gotten it as the people I went to lunch with (especially since I don't know how I was infected).

But, as I thought about it, I realized the line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise too many people would have to quarantine and we all would have to go back to working/schooling from home.

I realize (and I think many others do) that the line is arbitrary and not at all an accurate reflection of what behaviors are "safe", but it is what it is.

Basically, we aren't wearing masks to protect anyone - we are wearing them so others can determine who does and doesn't have to quarantine when there is an exposure.
Post removed:
by user
LostInLA07
AG
And the quarantine rules are written to encourage certain behaviors (and discourage others).
First Page Last Page
Page 318 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.