Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,071 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
HtownAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FHKChE07 said:

My toddler ran a fever of 100.2 yesterday at daycare. Normally, that means you have to be sent home and can't come back until you have 24 hours fever free. New rule now is you have to have negative covid tests, and since my infant is at the same daycare, he had to have one too even though he didn't have a fever. So, to ensure we could have some quick data, we did a rapid and a PCR on both of them. Just added 4 more negative tests to the total. What a waste of time and resources.
I've got three in school and it's the same thing -- one out / all out, and none can come back until the one with "symptoms" (even the damn tummy ache that got her and her brothers sent home) got a negative test, alternate diagnosis or 14 day quarantine. We've done 4 negative tests and just said F it and stayed home the last time. Trying to keep 3 kids away from a cold or fever during the winter will be impossible.

FHKChE07
AG
There are many many more common things that cause a fever in toddlers and we had to see a doctor in order to come back and the doctor did not see any likely possibility that it would be covid and would not have tested the children unless she was being required to by non-medical professionals. That is what I see as wrong with that.
cone
AG
no

hearing from HCWs that we're definitely filling up

who knows the peak max but the trajectory is like June
Fitch
AG
Well that's no bueno.

The Greek doc who works at Memorial was on NPR this morning with a similar bleak projection over the next 6 weeks.

We'll see.
Caliber
AG
htxag09 said:

FHKChE07 said:

My toddler ran a fever of 100.2 yesterday at daycare. Normally, that means you have to be sent home and can't come back until you have 24 hours fever free. New rule now is you have to have negative covid tests, and since my infant is at the same daycare, he had to have one too even though he didn't have a fever. So, to ensure we could have some quick data, we did a rapid and a PCR on both of them. Just added 4 more negative tests to the total. What a waste of time and resources.

Sorry, I don't see the issue with this.
Well, most medical professionals wouldn't require COVID testing in a random toddler with low grade fever and no other symptoms, and then testing another infant with absolutely no symptoms, because it's just stupid and unnecessary.

But I guess if it makes you feel better...
cone
AG
no bueno

but much worse if they close schools because of it
Fitch
AG
Yeah that would be reckless given everything now known and being said by the CDC
CoachRTM
AG
Schools are on edge right now, and rightfully so.

I'm a football official and work high school and middle school games during the week. I speak with high school coaches and administrators all across the city and this is always the topic they bring up during the "small talk" before games or during halftime.

(I'm going to leave out the names of the schools because I don't know what is allowed to be shared publicly and what isn't ... so I'm going to err on the side of caution)

There's a school that had kids go out and party all weekend (broken up multiple times, but the kids went to a different parking lot or house) and the COVID numbers are apparently through the roof and "half the school" is out on quarantine right now.

There's a school where they had 8 kids test positive for COVID in September, 12 in October, and 40 so far in November (they're worried it's going to hit 80-100)

There's a school where they had one positive test trace to 25 subsequent cases.

One of the schools that happens to be in a lower economic area where I know the coach had to fail over half the team because they weren't showing up in person or via zoom. He said that a huge number of them have to watch their younger siblings because the parents have to work.

With only a few exceptions, every B team has been rolled into the A team. (Spring Branch and Katy being notable exceptions because they have that many kids). But every team is having to have kids sit out. Coaches are telling me they're surprised we're still playing and they're just thankful for every week they get to step on the field.

Whether it's because of the virus, or the measures themselves, this is wrecking the school system. It's going to have lasting effects for the next 5-10 years.
cone
AG
that was known back in August

only thing that's changed is polite opinion accepted the science within the last two weeks

so we'll see if polite opinion is enough
Fitch
AG
Well said, and agreed.
htxag09
AG
Brad06ag said:

htxag09 said:

FHKChE07 said:

Well, most medical professionals wouldn't require COVID testing in a random toddler with low grade fever and no other symptoms, and then testing another infant with absolutely no symptoms, because it's just stupid and unnecessary.

But I guess if it makes you feel better...

Well this is directly from the American Academy of Pediatrics website.

Quote:

Any student or staff member with a fever of 100.4 degrees or greater or symptoms of possible COVID-19 virus infection should not be present in school.

Quote:

A student or staff member excluded because of symptoms of COVID-19 should contact their health care provider to discuss testing and medical care. In the absence of testing, students or staff should follow local health department guidance for exclusion.

So, sure, a fever of 100.2 isn't 100.4. But the school was being cautious. Also, I'd agree it wasn't necessary to test the other kid since the first tested negative. But there can be middle ground here. People can realize that this isn't Armageddon and everyone's going to die but realize it's a little more serious than a cold and we should be taking extra precautions.
TarponChaser
CoachRTM said:

I'm a football official and work high school and middle school games during the week. I speak with high school coaches and administrators all across the city and this is always the topic they bring up during the "small talk" before games or during halftime.

(I'm going to leave out the names of the schools because I don't know what is allowed to be shared publicly and what isn't ... so I'm going to err on the side of caution)

There's a school that had kids go out and party all weekend (broken up multiple times, but the kids went to a different parking lot or house) and the COVID numbers are apparently through the roof and "half the school" is out on quarantine right now.

There's a school where they had 8 kids test positive for COVID in September, 12 in October, and 40 so far in November (they're worried it's going to hit 80-100)

One of the schools that happens to be in a lower economic area where I know the coach had to fail over half the team because they weren't showing up in person or via zoom. He said that a huge number of them have to watch their younger siblings because the parents have to work.

With only a few exceptions, every B team has been rolled into the A team. (Spring Branch and Katy being notable exceptions because they have that many kids). But every team is having to have kids sit out. Coaches are telling me they're surprised we're still playing and they're just thankful for every week they get to step on the field.

Whether it's because of the virus, or the measures themselves, this is wrecking the school system. It's going to have lasting effects for the next 5-10 years.

Here's the thing though- WHY are we wrecking the school system and demanding so many tests and low positivity rate among a population with almost 0% change of getting seriously ill and something like a 3% chance of transmission to adults?

Yes, covid is not the flu and can have more negative outcomes for those with high risk factors but this truly is no worse than the flu for kids under 25.

Erring on the side of caution is absurd here because we have shown a complete inability to assess risk in a rational manner and formulate policy on that assessment.
Post removed:
by user
Stat Monitor Repairman
I agree man. I quit trying to make sense of this in April. The whole thing has taken on a life of its own that is beyond science, logic or reason. People are hysterical over this. It transcends reality.
cone
AG
agree

closing K-5 at the same time as HS makes zero sense
Cromagnum
AG
TarponChaser said:

CoachRTM said:

Here's the thing though- WHY are we wrecking the school system and demanding so many tests and low positivity rate among a population with almost 0% change of getting seriously ill and something like a 3% chance of transmission to adults?

Yes, covid is not the flu and can have more negative outcomes for those with high risk factors but this truly is no worse than the flu for kids under 25.

Erring on the side of caution is absurd here because we have shown a complete inability to assess risk in a rational manner and formulate policy on that assessment.

Its harder to control a population of dumb people, granted it may be semantics whether someone has to go to school to be indoctrinated into dumb ways of thinking.
BohunkAg
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I agree man. I quit trying to make sense of this in April. The whole thing has taken on a life of its own that is beyond science, logic or reason. People are hysterical over this. It transcends reality.
I've made sense of it. People are stupid.
Jackal99
AG
BohunkAg said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I've made sense of it. People are stupid.
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

you can not give a f and that still be the state of the world around you

that's all I'm saying

How often do you cry? Has to be at least weekly, if not daily.
aTm2004
AG
htxag09 said:

FHKChE07 said:

The problem is the things that kids have gotten sick from for thousands of years didn't just magically go away.
cone
AG
Strong men, also cry.
aTm2004
AG
Of course. There's not a person out there that wouldn't benefit from a good cry once in a while, but too often?
Onceaggie2.0
Lol back to hospitals being at max capacity?
cone
AG
well it's hard to get them to accept transfers (whereas it wasn't two weeks ago)

whether that is max capacity I can't tell you. that's Lina's job.
Onceaggie2.0
cone said:

well it's hard to get them to accept transfers (whereas it wasn't two weeks ago)

Head the same at the "peak " yet here we are
Nitro Power
AG
cone said:

Not sure most people care what Dora says.
CDUB98
AG
RK said:

all that stuff has disappeared because we are locking down, wearing masks and social distancing. we need to continue to do this so that we can keep all of these illnesses from spreading. #flattenthecurves

I know I'm late on this, but I've been busy today.

I literally had a Dem tell me this today. I had no words.
cajunaggie08
AG

jdubd34
Stat Monitor Repairman
Dora wants them curves flattened.
htxag09
AG
I have a friend who works for a hospital in Dallas. She's posting their charts starting in September. So this current "spike" looks astronomical
FHKChE07
AG
I would be ok if they would allow what the other poster said his school does is a note from a doctor saying that the cause of the fever was from something other than covid. Instead of requiring the negative covid test. That is what I think is excessive.
htxag09
AG
The thing is, people are stupid. You need pretty simple, straightforward rules. My sister is a principal. She had a parent call her to inform them her son tested positive for covid. My sister starts asking for info to start contract tracing. The parent stops her and asks if she can come pick up her son.
FHKChE07
AG
I completely agree that people are stupid but requiring a doctor's note that they have an alternative diagnosis seems to cover stupid people without requiring unnecessary testing.
Pahdz
My boss had a football party at his house with five buddies a week ago. Yesterday he tell me all his friends popped positive. He says he has some symptoms but wasn't gonna get a test, he was just quarantining. Oh but this was after he was leaving his dentist appointment.

Yes... people are 100% stupid and ruin it for those of us with a brain.
First Page Last Page
Page 303 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.