Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,466 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
got no problem with Abbott
swimmerbabe11
Texan_Aggie said:

I'd be curious to see how many "bars" are still closed. I have seen the majority in my area switch to the restaurant license and open right back up. Anecdotally, I only know of 1-2 "bars" that are still closed.

At this point, it seems like if a bar really wanted to reopen, they could absent me not understanding some regulatory rule on why a bar could not get a restaurant license.

This hurts divey local bars more than anyone. how are big star or d&w or Danny's fly a kite.. places like those going to make it? they can't do all of this stuff those places are doing.
cone
AG
maybe they won't

sucks
Jet Black
Continued ruining of peoples lives and livelihoods. Well done. Most of these politicians are so out of touch with reality it's scary.
Fitch
AG
Commerce has been regulated in this country to pick winners and losers "for the public good" since, what, always? It's not ideal, but not anything new.

What you're asking is where on a spectrum does a restrictive action fall relative to individual freedoms, but leaving out the restrictive action at hand deals with business practices, not the individual.

You & me as an individuals can do whatever we damn well please right now.
Keegan99
AG
Yes, and that picking is done by laws enacted by legislatures.

It's not done by a single official arbitrarily closing businesses by fiat for months on end. Or making up rules as he goes. Or telling business they can pay some fee to the state to magically change the nature of their business.

(That little bit of permit chicanery is smoking gun evidence that this has nothing to do with a public health emergency, which is the legal cover Abbott is using for his tyranny. If bars were legitimately a risk, that loophole would not be on the table.)

You want to tell bar owners and employees that they haven't had their liberties infringed? That the government hasn't forcibly taken something from them?
aggiemike02
AG
It's worth noting bar owners are as split as us random posters are on this. Many appreciate being closed and of course many don't. Lets all agree at least that TABC has been 'making up rules' as they go for YEARS.
Fitch
AG
Maybe surprising, or not, but of the bartenders I know most were already on the public-assistance bandwagon, or are smokers, and have no desire to be at work and get sick when they have been getting unemployment. That's a whole side topic--

The "loophole" seemed asinine when I heard it as well. That's the beef my bar owner and bartender friends had with it -- not having clarity of how they can operate.

TABC did a piss poor job messaging that it was designed to regulate use of space and direct patrons to stay seated vs. stand and wander around. Putting two and two together it reads like the logic was to suppress risk of super spreaders and keep groundhog day rolling around.

It is not being implemented well and just given my own observations I'm already worried we're going to be in a mid-October run up in cases co-mingled with flu and ignorance will try to shut this show down again.

We should be working to avoid even approaching a situation where there are calls to shut down because it doesn't work long-term and will be absolutely ruinous. There's a middle ground here.
Post removed:
by user
Texan_Aggie
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Texan_Aggie said:

I'd be curious to see how many "bars" are still closed. I have seen the majority in my area switch to the restaurant license and open right back up. Anecdotally, I only know of 1-2 "bars" that are still closed.

At this point, it seems like if a bar really wanted to reopen, they could absent me not understanding some regulatory rule on why a bar could not get a restaurant license.

This hurts divey local bars more than anyone. how are big star or d&w or Danny's fly a kite.. places like those going to make it? they can't do all of this stuff those places are doing.
Agreed it hurts the smaller guys more, and I think the rules are so backa**wards on this, but there's still no barrier to entry other than the license fee and changing the business model, perhaps temporarily, to serve food. Bars that are staying closed now are either making a business or humanitarian decision at this point, which is on them, not the govt.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
aggiemike02 said:

It's worth noting bar owners are as split as us random posters are on this. Many appreciate being closed and of course many don't. Lets all agree at least that TABC has been 'making up rules' as they go for YEARS.
why would a bar owner appreciate being closed?
Bondag
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

aggiemike02 said:

If they aren't 100% their employees can get unemployment and work at another bar they own for cash or with PP money so they are only out rent on the others. If they own 5 bars and can keep 1 profitable they can limp along with the rest on the government dime.
MAS444
AG
Jury trials have been going for a while.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Bondag said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

aggiemike02 said:

If they aren't 100% their employees can get unemployment and work at another bar they own for cash or with PP money so they are only out rent on the others. If they own 5 bars and can keep 1 profitable they can limp along with the rest on the government dime.
I guess I just don't get it. All those remedies would still be available to them if they were allowed to operate at 100%.
BohunkAg
AG
A business owner who appreciates being closed down by the government. That's a new one.
XpressAg09
AG
Really choppy, but still minimum of 75% down from the high. On some days, close to 90% down.
BohunkAg
AG
SEE NONE OF YOU KNOW. SLY KNOWS

jetch17
AG
What a dick
chimpanzee
BohunkAg said:

SEE NONE OF YOU KNOW. SLY KNOWS

They were even lower before we had hospitals, really makes you think.

We opened in May and changed nothing, numbers rose and fell, just like they did everywhere, without regard to any interventions or lack thereof.

jetch17
AG
"NYC is near 1% .... if NYC can do it, then Houston can do it... okaaaaaay"

"5% is not just some magic number people...."
Post removed:
by user
CW Griswold
jetch17 said:

What a dick

Or what a moron with single digit IQ supporters.
MAS444
AG
All I know is that Harris County District Courts are trying cases and have been for a few weeks at least. I'm watching one now.
Jet Black
BohunkAg said:

A business owner who appreciates being closed down by the government. That's a new one.

They hate money, food and shelter. It's worth it though. This beast has a 99.8% survival rate. Scary stuff.
aTm2004
AG
Fitch said:

The ones I know are already reopen and working to stay that way.

I know you have a difference of opinion, but pulling back full tilt will result in another spike, another wave of crazed "shut it down" (however transient) and will drive my friends out of business entirely.

My liberties are uninfringed. You want to discuss modes of commerce control, have at it.
How about this...

We're past the point of caring now. 6 months into "2 weeks to flatten the curve." It's time to pop the government titty out of everyone's mouth and tell them to adult the **** up and do what they feel is best for themselves and their loved ones. If they're high risk, take the necessary precautions. If they have parents or relatives they're around a lot who are high risk, take the necessary precautions. If their crotch fruit is high risk, take the necessary precautions. What shouldn't happen is for them to expect me, you, or anyone else in the world to give a **** and do it for them.

Call me harsh, call me cold hearted, or whatever. I don't care. Life is full of risks, and each day in everything we do, we assess risk and determine if it's worth it. Everything. If these government loving Karens and Corona****s can't understand that and are unable to do it, then maybe thinning the herd is what we need.
aTm2004
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Texan_Aggie said:

Michael Berry had the bar owner in New Caney on this morning for a few segments. IIRC, she's lost her liquor license because she's doing exactly what she needs to in order to be within the rules except paying the TABC several hundred dollars for a piece of paper. It's nothing more than an effing money grab.
chimpanzee
jetch17 said:

"NYC is near 1% .... if NYC can do it, then Houston can do it... okaaaaaay"

"5% is not just some magic number people...."
You just have to live stacked upon each other and have it run through your vulnerable population all at once with the highest death rates in the world, then you can get to 1%.
Post removed:
by user
Teddy Perkins
AG
That is surprising. I've had a few Zoom hearings in the SD Tex federal court and I've got a preliminary injunction hearing with Judge Bennett with witnesses and all via Zoom coming up.
MAS444
AG
My point was only to say that trials are happening. You said they weren't. They are. And none went for the first 4 months or so of pandemic. So however many have occurred, they've all been in the past few weeks.
aTm2004
AG
Local radio station in Conroe calling out the BS

https://instagr.am/p/CFR4edVHBvm
jetch17
AG
Still hard lol'ing at the idiots on our neighborhood jogging trail RUNNING/walking with their masks on. Had a guy on a bike literally take his hands off the handlebars and cover his mouth with one hand and plug his nose like he was jumping in a pool when I came up on him going the opposite direction on my bike. What the actual Fck?
aTm2004
AG
Bill Engvall was a prophet. The sign is just a little different.

XpressAg09
AG
Red Alert.

New record low for the Gauges-o'-Death!

Also, a new graph, or clarifications to the existing graph. Basically calling out how many cases were backdated?
Jackal99
AG
Uh oh. Those numbers look too good. Sly and Dora about to bust out a whole bunch of "new" cases.
First Page Last Page
Page 273 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.