Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,145 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't care How/what they do. I'm not even coming to a complete stop when I drop my kids off in October.
Foamcows
AG
why do they need more than one online teacher per grade for online learning?
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
XpressAg09 said:

But...masks are supposed to be rona-proof?

Keegan99
AG
It's amazing to see institutions destroy public trust in real time
aTm2004
AG
Timber08 said:

HISD just announced all teachers will be in person in October.

Completely putting aside the virus as a concern - how are they accomplishing this and following their own rules?
They're not. It apparently got real for them recently. During the first 5 or so minutes of his show this morning, Michael Berry stated 11,000 students were unenrolled from HISD, which could cost the district $101mm (~$9k/student).
Post removed:
by user
Bondag
AG
Sign on 290 this morning.

If you adjust the 14,000 Texas deaths to the 6% rate there are 3X the traffic related deaths as covid.

If you are under the age of 65 you are 99.9% more likely to die in a car accident than covid.
RenoAg
But we have seat belts. No vaccine for Covid. So .. you know ... apples and oranges and still need to be fearful. /coronbros
CowtownAg06
AG
What 6% rate?
Bondag
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

What 6% rate?
That only 6% of all covid deaths had no comorbidities on the death certificate.
chimpanzee
aTm2004 said:

XpressAg09 said:

But...masks are supposed to be rona-proof?

Same dude...

Quote:

In the February hearing, Redfield told Americans not to buy medical-grade masks, saying there's "no role for these masks in the community."

There remains zero evidence that cloth masks or the earloop masks displayed by Redfield helps to slow the spread of COVID-19 or protect the wearer from infection. No country in the world has proven a link in slowing or stopping the spread due to mask wearing mandates, which are in effect in countless nations.

https://jordanschachtel.substack.com/p/dr-quack-cdcs-redfield-claims-masks
aTm2004
AG
I just stated this on a thread on the politics board...the medical community knows how effective masks are and gave a glimpse of the truth in the spring. Only after it became political did the mask (doesn't matter what kind) suddenly become the most effective defense.
chimpanzee
aTm2004 said:

I just stated this on a thread on the politics board...the medical community knows how effective masks are and gave a glimpse of the truth in the spring. Only after it became political did the mask (doesn't matter what kind) suddenly become the most effective defense.

Maybe he knows the vaccine will be a saline shot.
aTm2004
AG
Wouldn't it be awesome if it's all a placebo and people get back to life and it just goes away? It'll show just how effing dumb some people are.
htxag09
AG
Bondag said:

CowtownAg06 said:

What 6% rate?

Can't believe people still believe/spout this.
Fitch
AG
Seems like a decent place to post this...

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913

Quote:

As SARS-CoV-2 continues its global spread, it's possible that one of the pillars of Covid-19 pandemic control universal facial masking might help reduce the severity of disease and ensure that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic. If this hypothesis is borne out, universal masking could become a form of "variolation" that would generate immunity and thereby slow the spread of the virus in the United States and elsewhere, as we await a vaccine.

I'm just wondering how they got masks on hamsters...
MAS444
AG
Quote:

I'm praying this is true but can't find a link. Anyone have one?
cone
AG
I totally agree with this, anecdotally, fwiw

universal masking isn't just a bit
RK
AG
MAS444 said:

Quote:

we were sent an email this morning saying that opt-in selection for in-person learning will start Sep 21. you can also opt to stay virtual. in-person learning scheduled to commence Oct 19. so, it's happening...for now.
Timber08
MAS444 said:

Quote:

District wide e-mail. Student plan is unchanged. Teachers will just teach virtually from school.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all viewpoints, what makes this prayer worthy for you?
RK
AG
trying to oversee virtual learning for a K and 2nd grader while maintaining my full time job sucks all kinds of goat. that is why it is prayer worthy.
Ag06Law
AG
htxag09 said:

Bondag said:

CowtownAg06 said:

What 6% rate?

It's really pretty amazing. There are so many other statistics to cite to show how ridiculous this situation is, but misusing this one doesn't further anyone's argument.
Bondag
AG
Ag06Law said:

htxag09 said:

Bondag said:

CowtownAg06 said:

What 6% rate?

It's really pretty amazing. There are so many other statistics to cite to show how ridiculous this situation is, but misusing this one doesn't further anyone's argument.
So it is ok to show an inflated death rate? I am not saying there is not a Covid, but if you do not live in a nursing home your chances of survival are pretty good.
Timber08
RK said:

trying to oversee virtual learning for a K and 2nd grader while maintaining my full time job sucks all kinds of goat. that is why it is prayer worthy.

Oh, I don't view this announcement as affecting any aspect of kids reporting in but without more information it seems like it may harm the quality of their education while there.

My WAG is teachers will either be required to do online and in class simultaneously OR they are hoping most kids will be in person and your kids will go half days, every other day, etc.
TXTransplant
Bondag said:

Sign on 290 this morning.

If you adjust the 14,000 Texas deaths to the 6% rate there are 3X the traffic related deaths as covid.

If you are under the age of 65 you are 99.9% more likely to die in a car accident than covid.

I was thinking the other day that I had not seen one of those signs in a while. Usually there is one on 45N, near The Woodlands, and one on the GP near the 45/Hardy interchange.

I figured they weren't putting the numbers up so that people would not make the very realization that you articulated in your post.
htxag09
AG
No, he's saying get your facts right before spouting wrong information. There is plenty of damning information regarding covid. This isn't it. 6% of deaths have covid on the death certificate and nothing else. That really means 6% of the cases were too lazy to actually research what killed them, you don't die of covid. You catch covid and it develops other things. For example, 22,000 people had adult respiratory distress syndrome on their death certificate. I'd bet that everyone of those cases was caused by covid. Yet you're including that in your 94% comorbidity number. So, your 6% is wrong.

It's like if I shot someone then saying they didn't die of a gunshot, they died because they bled to death.

If you truly want a percentage go through the charts the cdc released and separate those out that are completely unrelated to covid.
RK
AG
i was/am highly skeptical that the Oct in-person learning date would get pushed back at least once. this email at least gives hope that it is still on track. that's all i'm concerned about.
MAS444
AG
We didn't get a damn email.

And isn't Timber saying something different?

Quote:

Student plan is unchanged. Teachers will just teach virtually from school.

LostInLA07
AG
Abbott press conference tomorrow
Jackal99
AG
MAS444 said:

Quote:

Dear HISD Parent:
Starting with the second six weeks of the 2020-2021 school year, HISD families will be required to select either in-person or virtual instruction for students. The first day of the second six weeks is October 19.
Parents will have from Monday, September 21, through Friday, September 25, to make their selection through the HISD Connect Parent Portal "Forms" section. Parents will be able to log in and select in-person or virtual learning for the school year. This process will ensure campuses can begin planning for physical space, staffing, and scheduling. Once a selection is made, the choice is valid for the entire school year. However, there will be opportunities to change a selection throughout the year, if needed.
If you have not signed up to access the Parent Portal, please utilize the access code provided to you by your home campus to create your account online. To log in and create your account with your access code, visit the Parent Portal. If you have not yet received your access code or do not have access to technology, please contact your home campus directly to indicate your choice.
Additional information is as follows:
  • Once a selection is submitted for a student to be taught in-person or virtually, that selection is final for the current six weeks period and cannot be updated until the selection window is opened again.
  • Students for which a selection has not been made by the deadline automatically will be selected for in-person learning for planning purposes.
  • For campuses where the number of in-person selections are more than can be accommodated to ensure social-distancing guidelines, there may be a phase-in process.
Thank you for your cooperation and attention to this process. For questions about making your selections, please contact your campus.
MAS444
AG
Thanks, Jackal.

We called our school and they said this is not new.
Timber08
MAS444 said:

Quote:

I understand students have the option of in class or at home the same as announced about mid-July. That aspect is unchanged.

The new is that all teachers will perform their role from their home campus. I'm trying to piece together how this impacts quality of education. I expected there would be in person students and in person teachers and then completely separately there would be online students and online teachers. This is still possible but it seems weird if not dumb to have the teachers come to the building - if one online teacher reporting to the school is the source of a school being shut down then everyone loses.

Edit: and it will be really poor education if all teachers will do both - that is the nightmare scenario for education quality this Fall.
Caliber
AG
Timber08 said:

MAS444 said:

Quote:

I understand students have the option of in class or at home the same as announced about mid-July. That aspect is unchanged.

The new is that all teachers will perform their role from their home campus. I'm trying to piece together how this impacts quality of education. I expected there would be in person students and in person teachers and then completely separately there would be online students and online teachers. This is still possible but it seems weird if not dumb to have the teachers come to the building - if one online teacher reporting to the school is the source of a school being shut down then everyone loses.

Yeah, but there are tons of vocal asshats that complain about teachers at every corner, especially about getting to "teach from home", ie they think that they're all just goofing off and drinking wine all day. Hence, all teachers in school.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 270 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.