Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,775 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rhoswen said:

Yep. I had to leave the AFT pages. On the neighborhood page a lady was asking for old sheets so she can put them on her car seat to & from work. There are people asking for permission to wear scrubs to school so they can leave them there & wear "clean" clothes to & from work.

These people are teaching "science".
CW Griswold
rhoswen said:

Yep. I had to leave the AFT pages. On the neighborhood page a lady was asking for old sheets so she can put them on her car seat to & from work. There are people asking for permission to wear scrubs to school so they can leave them there & wear "clean" clothes to & from work.

The more I hear about some people's responses to COVID, the more likely I am to be convinced that COVID is just one giant 4-Chan troll.
BohunkAg
AG
Well sure....they are going to use whatever number is handy to point out that it's worse. I guess my point is that if you are leaning on positivity rate, you need to understand why it's flawed, and if you are leaning on "case count" you have to understand why this is also flawed.

Your data there that possibly 2-4% of the population had it wouldn't be surprising. And it's not concerning. But when someone says that 20-30 times more people had it than we realize, that's sort of being funny with the data. Also saying "there's 20% positivity rate." Everyone wants to get their one tweetable statistic without providing context.

I think you and I are on the same page really.....just getting there different ways.
T Durden
AG
rhoswen said:

Was this the purple hair obese drama teacher that was protesting out in front of cy fair last week?
rhoswen
AG
Dunno what she looks like but this is seabrook so probably not
aTm2004
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

rhoswen said:

If you think about it, it makes sense. You have symptoms but you write them off as allergies or a head cold, treat the symptoms yourself, and recover, never bothering to see a doc/get tested. Flu numbers are probably much higher for the same reasons.

eta: or caught it & never had symptoms at all. I'm convinced I've caught it, as a teacher in school in a "hot bed" in March, or the traveling I've done, or at grocery store or post office or pharmacy....
This was me the past week and a half. Getting tested takes time away from work and would put childcare at risk (i.e. would they make child stay home or shut down if parent is infected). I am fairly sure what I had was a sinus infection/cold brought home from daycare, but you never know.
What people seem to not understand is just because COVID is around doesn't mean other things have just magically disappeared. Colds, sinus infections, etc are still around and infecting people. IMO, unless you have some obvious symptom that's unique to COVID, getting tested isn't necessary.
aTm2004
AG
EXPLAINED: What caused the huge swing in Texas' coronavirus positivity rate this month?

Quote:

After days of hitting record-high positivity rates in Texas last week, the numbers fell dramatically. State health officials said that fluctuation was caused by problems in data being reported by some labs.

On Aug. 7, the state-day positivity rate hit a record of 19.41%. That number continued to climb until it hit an all-time high of 24.5% on Aug. 11. The next day, the rate plummeted seven points and fell to 11.25% on Aug. 15.

Lara Anton, of the Texas Department of State Health Services, said that rollercoaster rate was caused by coding errors on data that was being entered by three labs in Texas Walgreens, Christus Meditech and Quest Diagnostic. The error prevented 500,000 test results from being properly uploaded to the state's database, Anton said. Most of the results in these half-million tests were negative, Anton said.
TexasAggie008
AG

We may have a Dallas/Houston covid romance brewing guys

Two peas in a pod

(....I go back and forth on whose worse.....Lina likely wins by a hair, but Clay IS a Baylor lawyer soooooo)
cone
AG
this Clay Jenkins person has Ted Cruz level punchable face
texagbeliever
No way data entry problems. But data never is wrong!
tamuags08
AG
cone said:

At least Ted found a sense of humor after his dumpster fire election.

lunchbox
SMH

TXTransplant
I want to see the letter that says "Our recommendations are based on a knee-jerk reaction to 500,000 incorrectly coded test results."

If you're going to use garbage data, at least be transparent about it.
BohunkAg
AG
cone said:

Joel Osteen
XpressAg09
AG
Stabilizing towards 100 hospitalizations/day.

Positivity Rate just ducked away from 10%, despite reduced testing.

Green on the board for one metric.

Daily Case Growth continues to drop, on a rolling average, despite spike yesterday and the day before.

Sure would like some economy now, please.
gougler08
AG
XpressAg09 said:

Stabilizing towards 100 hospitalizations/day.

Positivity Rate just ducked away from 10%, despite reduced testing.

Green on the board for one metric.

Daily Case Growth continues to drop, on a rolling average, despite spike yesterday and the day before.

Sure would like some economy now, please.
We can't have that...we're still threat level RED, we're all going to DIE
BohunkAg
AG
Scrambling on how to change the metrics going on within Harris County offices right now.
Bondag
AG
Google is either telling me I am a fattass with their ad placement or that they approve of this graph.

AgsMyDude
AG
BohunkAg
AG
Big free testing event in Waco over the weekend....this is one reason I think the whole "there's a bunch of asymptomatic positives out there" is bunk

wessimo
AG
Gave blood today, in part for the free antibody test. I don't think I've had COVID, but have had a couple times this year when I've had mild cold symptoms so I figured might as well.
cone
AG
but wouldn't it stand to reason that asymptomatic cases aren't volunteering for testing, even if it's free?
Keegan99
AG
I'd be curious to know how many of those 71 positives had symptoms.
BohunkAg
AG
cone said:

but wouldn't it stand to reason that asymptomatic cases aren't volunteering for testing, even if it's free?
HOW DO THEY KNOW THEY HAVE IT IF THEY ARE ASYMPTOMATIC......
Ag_07
AG
Where did you do that?

I'm in the same boat
cone
AG
i would guess they wouldn't know specifically, that's why they wouldn't get tested unless it was a requirement to enter school or go to work

but we would know based on serology results
wessimo
AG
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Bank is testing all donations.
BohunkAg
AG
My posting that was more responding to earlier when someone said if you have more testing you'd find all these asymptomatic positives. I don't think that's been borne out anywhere.
Bondag
AG
BohunkAg said:

My posting that was more responding to earlier when someone said if you have more testing you'd find all these asymptomatic positives. I don't think that's been borne out anywhere.
I think they are now saying in addition to the asymptomatic positives you have people that just have built in immunities to the virus with t cells or other ways so your body fights it off before you can even get it.
jetch17
AG
Man the Sly plea he was giving on ch13 at 5 was funny

Showed totally empty test centers, then sly came in saying 'come ooooooonnnnnnnn'

Everybody go get tested - teachers, bus drivers, parents ... parents y'all should just go get one so you know. Even if you don't feel bad, gooooo get tested!!!
T Durden
AG
Must be a lot of city money to be made with those testing centers...
Keegan99
AG
By some estimates, about 2-3% of all Texans are currently infected (probably a little higher in the metro areas, a little less in the rural areas), so a truly random sampling should produce something around that number. That's why I was curious about the symptom characteristics among those that did test positive.
cone
AG
agree with that insofar as people aren't getting tested just for the hell of it

which is the problem with tying schools to percent positivity
tamuags08
AG
Definitely support the blood donation route. Did the same thing a couple weeks ago since I was curious if I've had it (and they need the blood). I came back negative for the antibodies though.
CowtownAg06
AG
I woke up this morning with sore throat. Wanted to know so I went to Memorial Village ER. It was great. Came back negative. Happy to help get that % down.
First Page Last Page
Page 247 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.