Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,727 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe she has Hotez whispering sweet words of doom in her ear.
Mikeyshooter
AG
cone said:

I'd just like her on record more as to the science behind her decision making
Never going to happen. Especially when the local media has given up on doing anything that resembles journalism.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
cone said:

I'd love for her to explain "the science," "the math," "the metrics," and "the experts" she's using to wage war on the local economy and public school students. But she can't. She's like a little kid at a science fair trying to talk about a project her parents did for her.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Remind me again what th epi curve represent events?
Keegan99
AG
It's positive test results placed on a timeline by date of specimen collection.

So if a test is administered on July 17 but the county receives a positive result on August 15th, it adjusts the graph for July 17th, not August 15th.
Bondag
AG
Harry Lime said:

cone said:

I'd love for her to explain "the science," "the math," "the metrics," and "the experts" she's using to wage war on the local economy and public school students. But she can't. She's like a little kid at a science fair trying to talk about a project her parents did for her.
aggiederelict
My SIL is a physician in NYC and was clearly showing signs of Covid and they told her not to get tested because she was well enough to work.

This is at a major hospital in Queens. To the people who doubt this probably have zero experience in healthcare.

I get that hospitals are put in a tough spot during these times but it doesn't make this any less true.

Some healthcare companies have chosen to test their employees because they deal with an at risk population. My wife's company is one that hasn't. The reason you aren't hearing about it is because the workers fear losing their jobs.

The fallout between administrators and clinical staff will be tremendous at some of these facilities and companies once the dust settles.

SirLurksALot
aggiederelict said:

My SIL is a physician in NYC and was clearly showing signs of Covid and they told her not to get tested because she was well enough to work.

I wish more employers were doing this. It might cut down on some of the hysteria.
aggiederelict
I tend to agree but not when it comes to those who are actively treating patients.
CoachRTM
AG
For the record, I 100% believe that there will be an increase in cases in September/ October and into the fall.

School returning, Labor Day (and other holidays), and then the normal increase of these kinds of viruses as weather cools down.

I'm NOT saying they should do anything about it, but we shouldn't be surprised when the number of cases increases here in the near future.
Onceaggie2.0
For the millionth time its not about people not getting covid, the shutdown was to make sure the system wasn't overwhelmed clearly its not.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
CY-fair sent an email tonight saying we expect everyone back, but if you feel scared, you can stay home and go virtual during in service but contact your principal and let them know.

Of course that isn't enough cause now they'll be singled out...
Bert315
AG
CypressCPAg said:

CY-fair sent an email tonight saying we expect everyone back, but if you feel scared, you can stay home and go virtual during in service but contact your principal and let them know.

Of course that isn't enough cause now they'll be singled out...

As they should be. Unless they have a preexisting condition that would qualify for an ADA accommodation they should report.
gougler08
AG
Anyone got the epi curve for fort Bend county? Their case graph is ridiculous now with the backlog counting over the past week (over 1500 backlog added this week)...
RenoAg
Where's a good site to obtain updated epi curves?
Keegan99
AG
https://coronavirus-disasterresponse.hub.arcgis.com/datasets/c0de71f8ea484b85bb5efcb7c07c6914

On the default "case increase by day" view, select the epi curve tab.

This is the only good one I've seen for anywhere in Texas.

The Texas dashboard has an epi curve for fatalities.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83
Ciboag96
Keegan99 said:

And it hasn't even been anywhere close to that when detected infections are placed on an appropriate epi curve.

This is the press taking about a hurricane as if it was still in the gulf when it actually made landfall well over a week ago.

So that seems to indicate an average of 500 cases per day since 7/28. For 14 days that's a max 7,000 current cases. Not 50,000.

Keegan99
AG
Which is about right for all of Harris County.
chimpanzee
Harris County exceeded its limit for processing test results many times over for weeks at a go and they were still begging for more people to get tested to keep a nice thick backlog to ride all the way into November. Meanwhile hospitalizations are falling right on cue with every macro level predictor of how this thing burns out.

And still, none of the non-pharma interventions correlate with reduced transmission. Lockdown Peru just took the lead for most deaths per capita.

This is what happens when people think their feelings based on irrational fears are as good as facts.
Keegan99
AG
Couldn't have said it better.
Ag_07
AG
Just wait until flu cases get categorized as COVID.

Fun times ahead!
LostInLA07
AG
Oh you know they will love creating new charts that stack flu + covid to reach more "grim" milestones. And the "red alert" criteria will move to combined flu+covid metrics. We'll be tracking the number of flu + covid vaccines with endless stories on shortages, "raging cases, how deadly classroom are, etc.
gougler08
AG
Dallas county report 5k+ cases yesterday, dating all the way back to March...

Positivity rate will be all jacked up for weeks across the state as these backlogs come in
wessimo
AG
So basically we should just follow Clayton Williams' advice about the inevitable?
Keegan99
AG
The virus is going to take its 0.05% of the population, give or take.

The only way to avoid that is to not have dense urban areas or to not have frail older people.

Public policies can possibly nibble at the margins of that figure, but then it becomes a question of tradeoffs. Are massive increases in suicides, joblessness, overdoses, murder, domestic violence, undiagnosed cancer and heart disease, etc. worth speculative measures that might be able to moderately extend the lives of 0.01% of the population?
chimpanzee
You manage what you can with a rational acknowledgement of risks assumed or mitigated as well as the costs of interventions.

We can take on some additional costs in keeping the most at-risk safer and isolated and let those that are not more adversely affected by this than recurring common illnesses go about their lives as usual incurring the same risk that they usually do day in/day out.

This thing sucks, like many unavoidable things in life, but doing something without regard to efficacy or cost for the sake of being seen to do something is turning out to be universally terrible in this particular instance. All the worse when .gov incompetence coupled with outright malice is used to manipulate people into fear.
BohunkAg
AG
chimpanzee said:

Harris County exceeded its limit for processing test results many times over for weeks at a go and they were still begging for more people to get tested to keep a nice thick backlog to ride all the way into November. Meanwhile hospitalizations are falling right on cue with every macro level predictor of how this thing burns out.

And still, none of the non-pharma interventions correlate with reduced transmission. Lockdown Peru just took the lead for most deaths per capita.

This is what happens when people think their feelings based on irrational fears are as good as facts.
bahahahaha....New Zealand....the paragon of virtue. Who we should all be like.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/16/asia/new-zealand-ardern-election-delay-coronavirus/index.html
XpressAg09
AG
Is 100 hospitalizations a day where we "flatten the curve?" Y'all remember when this was all about curve flattening?

Jackal99
AG
XpressAg09 said:

Is 100 hospitalizations a day where we "flatten the curve?" Y'all remember when this was all about curve flattening?

I remember when they said this was all about curve flattening, not when it actually was.
Jet Black

chimpanzee
Jackal99 said:

XpressAg09 said:

I remember when they said this was all about curve flattening, not when it actually was.

NY/NJ is the old "do nothing curve", the rest of the country is the "flattened" curve.
Bondag
AG
They had to continue the charade until they found a way to make money off of it.

https://www.bakerripleyrenthelp.org/faq

Quote:

My rental property is in the City of Houston and within Harris County. How do I know which rental assistance program is the one I am eligible to enroll in?
Based on the location of your residential rental property, you may be eligible to participate in the City of Houston program, the Harris County program, both OR neither. Enter your address into the map look up tool on the homepage to determine which program you are eligible for. At the time of enrollment, you will have the option to select which one of the programs you want to participate in - Harris County, City of Houston, or both. The City of Houston and Harris County programs have different landlord requirements that you must agree to in order to participate. Click here to be directed to the landlord requirements section of the website.
If you are eligible to enroll in both programs, we strongly encourage you to opt in to both to provide your eligible tenants the maximum opportunity to be selected to receive rental assistance.
There is no way that this program is abused.
Fitch
AG
Houston Area

Texas-wide Data

Obligatory note: fatalities curves within the last 2-3 weeks are not representative of the actual number as the data is being constantly revised.
Betoisafurry
Why are we not actually doing something about this bull**** instead of complaining on the internet about it? It's time to get the **** back to normal.
XpressAg09
AG
What's the source of all this?
First Page Last Page
Page 245 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.