Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,497,373 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
this is completely catastrophic

if you're in HISD, you/we are ****ed
Sazerac
AG
sub 200 daily cases in a 9 county area
BohunkAg
AG
Keegan99
AG
Dora: "We need people to go get tested!"

Also Dora: "If people keep testing positive we're keeping schools closed!"
CowtownAg06
AG
Seriously, where did this metric come from? It's insane that they are acting like it's some kind of given.
BohunkAg
AG
htxag09
AG
Can a Harris county judge be removed from office for incompetence?
cone
AG
she made a mistake by becoming so transparent

once parents get wind of this and how unattainable it is, the backlash towards HISD is going to be significant
Ducks4brkfast
AG
They're just guidelines and recommendations.
jenn96
AG
So its heads I win, tails you lose.

If we increase testing, we'll find asymptomatic and mild cases and even though people are not getting badly sick and using up medical resources, they will count towards positive cases and the cases stay high. Sorry stay home! And BTW **** your kids.

If only symptomatic cases get tested, the total number of cases drops but the positivity rate will stay high. Sorry stay home! And BTW **** your kids.

So we have flattened the curve, kept hospitals from being overwhelmed and are working on herd immunity. And those are apparently all bad things.

cone
AG
so you think HISD is going to go against the county judge?
Fitch
AG
Quote:

County officials are issuing the guidance as families and education officials continue to grapple with the idea of resuming in-person classes in the coming weeks, and after Gov. Greg Abbott barred local officials from ordering campus shutdowns to stem the spread of the coronavirus.

Under the non-binding guidance, Hidalgo and county health officials recommended that school districts offer only virtual instruction as long as Harris County, across a 14-day span, records more than 400 new COVID-19 cases per day, remains above a 5 percent test positivity rate or continues to devote more than 15 percent of hospital beds to COVID-19 patients.

School districts are advised to reopen with reduced capacity as those metrics improve and Harris County hospitals see a 14-day average flattening or decrease in their general and intensive care unit bed populations. At that point, school officials can consult with Harris County Public Health officials on their plans to reopen.

Researchers at Harvard's Global Health Institute recommended that schools could begin to partially reopen once daily case counts total about 25 per 100,000 residents -- a metric that El Paso's health authority, Hector Ocaranza, followed in issuing his campus reopening guidelines.

Harris County's metric recommends starting to reopen only once daily case counts reach about 8.5 per 100,000 residents.

Hidalgo and county health officials framed the guidance as a "roadmap to reopening schools" at a news conference Tuesday afternoon. The metrics will be presented using the county's existing COVID-19 "threat level system" a color-coded mechanism the county is using to advise residents on the severity of the pandemic and are based in part on models used in other states and countries, according to a draft of the roadmap.

Tying school reopenings to the county's threat-level system "takes out the politics and focuses on the data," Hidalgo said. "It provides a common playbook that all schools in Harris County and everyone in our community can use."

Once conditions improve, the county roadmap advises that school districts can reopen at 25 percent capacity or 500 students, whichever is lower. They can increase to 50 percent or 1,000 students when the county reaches even lower levels, before returning to regular in-person levels at the fourth and final level.

The roadmap states that the county must see a decrease in all four metrics daily cases, positivity rate, hospital usage rate and hospital population before moving to the next reopening phase.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/hidalgo-county-health-officials-school-reopenings-15478720.php
Ducks4brkfast
AG
cone said:

i don't know anything about that ****hole
cone
AG
cone
AG
k
cone
AG
Quote:

Harvard's Global Health Institute gives OK to start reopening at 25 new daily cases per 100K residents, w/other metrics accounted. Harris gives OK at 8.5 per 100K.
neat

follow the science
jenn96
AG
cone said:

Quote:

Harvard's Global Health Institute gives OK to start reopening at 25 new daily cases per 100K residents, w/other metrics accounted. Harris gives OK at 8.5 per 100K.
neat

follow the science
Well I know when it comes to medical recommendations I trust Lina Hidalgo more than Harvard. Damn Yankees.
CowtownAg06
AG
Quote:

Under the non-binding guidance, Hidalgo and county health officials recommended that school districts offer only virtual instruction as long as Harris County, across a 14-day span, records more than 400 new COVID-19 cases per day, remains above a 5 percent test positivity rate or continues to devote more than 15 percent of hospital beds to COVID-19 patients.
See the bold and guess what....

FHKChE07
AG
What a ridiculous set of requirements...
CowtownAg06
AG
Sorry that's just general beds... ICU is at 32.6% in Harris. However, both those number are of used beds.... not total available.
Ag_07
AG
Don't forget HISD has lost contact with close to 8,000 students since March.

So please explain to me how virtual learning is going to happen for hose 8,000 students.

I can't figure out if I wanna laugh or cry.
Mikeyshooter
AG
cone said:

Why wouldn't they? The County has no authority to what the schools will do.
htxag09
AG
Per Harris County, every metric has to be met. ICU and total bed usage could be at 4%, positivity rate at 2%, and if we're at more than 400 cases a day we're still threat level red.
CowtownAg06
AG
I read it as 400 cases per day and either 5% positive or 15% of medical resources. Regardless it's a ridiculous set of criteria.
JYDog90
AG
At some point these school districts are going to say, "yeah, we'll take it from here," right?
Formerly Willy Wonka
gougler08
AG
Has to be less than 0.008% of the Harris County population testing positive to get out of the red level...she can go **** right off
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Ag_07 said:

So please explain to me how virtual learning is going to happen for hose 8,000 students.

candidly I'm shocked a left leaning advocacy group hasn't fired up a federal lawsuit alleging the suffering minority and economically disadvantaged children will suffer due to scientifically dubious policy.
cone
AG
i guess if someone higher up the political food chain gave alternate guidance, sure

but i can't see HISD being willing to hang their ass out there unilaterally
Diggity
AG
Quote:

The roadmap states that the county must see a decrease in all four metrics daily cases, positivity rate, hospital usage rate and hospital population before moving to the next reopening phase.
CFTXAG10
AG
Maybe school closures is the next thing Lina and Sly want folks to protest to get the #'s back up
htxag09
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

I read it as 400 cases per day and either 5% positive or 15% of medical resources. Regardless it's a ridiculous set of criteria.

The below quote is bolded in this article:

https://www.readyharris.org/a-roadmap-to-reopen-schools

Quote:

To move down the ladder of the threat level system, all the thresholds for the indicators must be met sustainably.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
htxag09 said:

CowtownAg06 said:

The below quote is bolded in this article:

https://www.readyharris.org/a-roadmap-to-reopen-schools

Quote:

To move down the ladder of the threat level system, all the thresholds for the indicators must be met sustainably.

And Orange is still only 25% in-person and that's special ed, homeless kids, etc.
rhoswen
AG
Have these people forgotten what the "independent" means in "ISD"?
TXTransplant
blindey said:

Ag_07 said:

candidly I'm shocked a left leaning advocacy group hasn't fired up a federal lawsuit alleging the suffering minority and economically disadvantaged children will suffer due to scientifically dubious policy.

I said weeks ago on the thread about school openings that the chances of a civil rights attorney suing over inequitable access to education were about the same as a parent/teacher suing a school if they got infected there.

NoahAg said:

How many trial lawyers are waiting to pounce once the first kid catches the covid at school?

TXTransplant said:

Probably about the same as the number of civil rights attorneys who are ready to sue that underprivileged kids are being denied equal opportunity to an education.
HtownAg92
AG
jenn96 said:

So its heads I win, tails you lose.

If we increase testing, we'll find asymptomatic and mild cases and even though people are not getting badly sick and using up medical resources, they will count towards positive cases and the cases stay high. Sorry stay home! And BTW **** your kids. And if you work away from home and do not have someone to take care of the kids, **** you too. Oh, you already used up the emergency paid leave in the Spring when your kids were forced to stay home? Well, let me see what I can do, yep, **** you again.

If only symptomatic cases get tested, the total number of cases drops but the positivity rate will stay high. Sorry stay home! And BTW **** your kids.

So we have flattened the curve, kept hospitals from being overwhelmed and are working on herd immunity. And those are apparently all bad things.

FIFY.

It was cute when Dora was trying to stay relevant with her feet-stamping mask "mandates" that were dunked on by the state, but this is more irresponsible because some school districts will follow her because it seems like it is authorized and official. ISD lawyers who already have in-person plans in place have probably already said "F her, she can't do that", but those who haven't pulled the trigger yet may stick with her never-reopening plan.
First Page Last Page
Page 241 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.