Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,397 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
7nine
Bassmaster
AG
ptothemo said:

This is one of those things that would be better if the news didn't publish it, because it only increases the likelihood of copycats. I am not a fan of the remote learning in general, but I also think that methods like this to attack it are just going to make things way worse. And there are plenty of people out there who could pull off a denial of service pretty easily given the fact that the infrastructure and security supporting the remote learning is likely not top notch.
Copycats are fine by me. It is not like any real work is going to get done anyway.
cajunaggie08
AG
TMC came out with some new charts/metrics to show where things are locally and perhaps shine some light as to why we havent gone fully back to open despite the very good progress over the past couple of weeks

ptothemo
AG
Bassmaster said:

ptothemo said:

This is one of those things that would be better if the news didn't publish it, because it only increases the likelihood of copycats. I am not a fan of the remote learning in general, but I also think that methods like this to attack it are just going to make things way worse. And there are plenty of people out there who could pull off a denial of service pretty easily given the fact that the infrastructure and security supporting the remote learning is likely not top notch.
Copycats are fine by me. It is not like any real work is going to get done anyway.
I understand the position of wanting in-person school, and I largely agree with it. I just don't understand the position of thinking that it's okay to have access to that remote learning taken down to prove a point. There are teachers and students who are going to make the best of this situation, and I would anecdotally say that there will be more of those than not. Yes, there are squawking Karens everywhere - both teachers and parents - that are getting the attention, and it is easy to project those people onto large populations. I just think that there are more that are going to do the best they can with what they have - and what they have is pretty well **** right now.

Also, I would be really interested to see how many people will make fun of, degrade, etc. the protests in, say, Portland because the agenda of the people protesting doesn't fit their own. Yet, those same people may agree with people who are protesting remote education by forcibly denying access to it, because it does fit their own agenda.

End of the day, I just find it tiresome and frustrating that everything - all parties, all sides, everybody - has become so polarized and extremist that we are using children's education as the leverage. Again, that applies to everyone - the people who are squawking about keeping education remote until kingdom come, the people who deploying denial of service attacks on remote learning systems to prove some point, and everyone in between.

Idealistic soapbox moment over.
cone
AG
so teachers/kids go back to school no questions asked when we're in the green?
cajunaggie08
AG
kids and teachers arent allowed to ask questions? then what is the point
Ducks4brkfast
AG
We are a long ways off from being green.
Diggity
AG
Foamcows
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

TMC came out with some new charts/metrics to show where things are locally and perhaps shine some light as to why we havent gone fully back to open despite the very good progress over the past couple of weeks

what i hate about graphs like this is they have very limited or no historical context... they could easily show the current status, historical status, and target status in a line chart
lunchbox
Agreed - I am hoping they add a counter to the R(t) dial so that you can see how long it has been under/above 1
LostInLA07
AG
Apparently Abbott was interviewed today and said maybe we can reopen bars sometime in the future if hospitalizations and active cases continue to drop and stay low for awhile.
LostInLA07
AG
He said if the state was able to get to a positivity rate of less than 10%, and sustain it, along with a low hospitalization rate like the state saw in May, that would make it possible to potentially reopen bars.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/gov-greg-abbott-to-speak-in-beaumont-victoria-and-provide-covid-19-updates/

Kinda ridiculous that the entire state has to be below 10% for a sustained period. Seems like we could distinguish between the situations in, for example, El Paso vs Beaumont.
Post removed:
by user
TXTransplant
Didn't see this posted today (swipe to the second pic).

76% of deaths also had heart disease, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, neurological conditions, immunosuppression, chronic liver conditions, or obesity.

https://instagr.am/p/CDwEkqJp3kN
TarponChaser
Let me know when parents who want their kids back in school are looting stores and burning police stations.
WES2006AG
AG
TXTransplant said:

76% of deaths also had heart disease, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, neurological conditions, immunosuppression, chronic liver conditions, or obesity.
And what percentage of Texans fall in to one or more of those categories? This disease may mainly kill people who are already at risk but that at-risk group is a huge part of the population.
TXTransplant
WES2006AG said:

TXTransplant said:

And what percentage of Texans fall in to one or more of those categories? This disease may mainly kill people who are already at risk but that at-risk group is a huge part of the population.

Yep. This should be a huge wake up call to a lot of people.

I was just talking to some friends tonight who told me about a really healthy co-worker who got very sick with the virus. It dawned on me that anyone that appears to be young and healthy but who gets really sick should get a full work-up to look for some undiagnosed underlying condition.

Looking at that slide, I also wondered if some of the young and "healthy" people who get sick have chronic liver issues from alcohol and/or drug abuse.

Just from my own personal experience, alcohol abuse is a huge problem that we tend to just sweep under the rug. I know too many people who can't control their drinking (as exhibited by their behavior when they drink). That can't be good for your body.
htxag09
AG
TXTransplant said:

WES2006AG said:

TXTransplant said:

Yep. This should be a huge wake up call to a lot of people.

Should be. But it's not.

Instead people are wanting to shut down gyms, children athletics, rewarding being locked inside and no excercise, etc. But I run by a McDonalds daily and it damn sure always has a line around the building. Also run by a Starbucks that always has 5+ cars.
TXTransplant
I thought about editing my post to add "But it won't be."

It's a tough thing to criticize people over. Based on my height, weight, and BMI, I'm not overweight. But if I gained about 5 lbs or more, I would technically cross that threshold. I was definitely overweight when I was a kid, and even as an adult, I have at times carried around an extra 15 lbs.

It's a struggle everyday to keep that 15 lbs off. Exercise not so much, but definitely what I eat, when I eat, etc. I think about it All. The. Time.

I can understand how and why people feel overwhelmed, and many of those other underlying conditions stem from being overweight.

And the overweight/obese tend to be disproportionally poor/economically disadvantaged.

We certainly have created a mess for ourselves.
htxag09
AG
I get it. I mean based on the generalized metrics I'm overweight. And I'm training for an Ironman and exercise 20+ hours a week. I was way overweight, made a choice to change 4 or 5 years ago and have lost 70 lbs since.

But I'm not talking about the teetering on overweight. I'm talking about the trend of our country to continue eating McDonald's and other fast food multiple times a week. Not get out and just walk, even. The "norm" now seems to be 100+ lbs overweight, and it just continues to get worse and worse. And this pandemic is casting a light on it yet somehow amplifying it, IMO.
ptothemo
AG
TarponChaser said:

Let me know when parents who want their kids back in school are looting stores and burning police stations.

That wasn't at all the comparison that I was making. The comparison was between two different parties who are protesting - or at least seem to be protesting. Yes, the people in Portland are being destructive, and I do not agree with that at all. The person(s) who intentionally took down Humble's remote learning system are also being destructive. How one views the destruction in the two different contexts is easily based on the views or agenda they have. That's the comparison and point I was making.

Thinking that I was extrapolating one person or a small group of people trying to prove a point by attacking a remote learning system into all parents who want their kids back in school is outlandish and, frankly, supports my point about the extremism that is persistent right now.
XpressAg09
AG
htxag09 said:

I was way overweight, made a choice to change 4 or 5 years ago and have lost 70 lbs since.

This is 100% true. However, he omits the unfortunate truth that he is still very ugly.
htxag09
AG
Not what your wife said.....
XpressAg09
AG

LostInLA07
AG
I'm sure Lina and Turner fussed at TMC for having too many green indicators and downward trends so they had to add these. Less than 200 daily cases across 9 counties is probably never going to happen until a vaccine has been widely administered.

Keegan99
AG
These all hinge on "cases" which are a garbage metric.

(At least the TMC positivity percentage is kinda OK... it's certainly not anywhere near as awful as some region-wide figure.)

The best indicator we have is ILI/CLI visit data.
chimpanzee
Keegan99 said:

These all hinge on "cases" which are a garbage metric.

(At least the TMC positivity percentage is kinda OK... it's certainly not anywhere near as awful as some region-wide figure.)

The best indicator we have is ILI/CLI visit data.

Folks seem unwilling (and likely unable) to see the distinctions. Who is going to bother with going to get a test when they don't have a reason to do so? That's the only way the % positive metric goes down. Total hospitalizations and new admits seems to be as good a marker for prevalence in the community if you can assume that the severe cases remain a consistent proportion of all cases.

And if the severe cases are dropping as a proportion, so much the better.

But none of this stops people like Hidalgo from holding big chunks of the economy hostage until some faceless unaccountable bureaucrat gets around to "interpreting" the data because she decided to use an easily misinterpreted garbage metric as one of her inputs.

She and others are putting some veneer of objectivity into the process as political cover for doing whatever the hell helps her politically. People are working overtime to help them get away with it too.
CowtownAg06
AG
Good insight from Houston hospitals

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/08/coronavirus-pandemic-houston-hospitals-defy-doomsday-predictions/
Keegan99
AG
The severe cases are dropping as a percentage. There are only so many truly vulnerable. Sweden saw this when they expanded testing in June. Found a bunch more infections, but fatalities kept dropping.

This is going to be endemic sooner rather than later. Just another bug that circulates. Not unlike the Hong Kong Flu of 1968.
Keegan99
AG

Quote:

In New York, an April study found that 88 percent of COVID patients who were put on a ventilator ultimately died. But Herlihy said that Baylor St. Luke's has slashed its mortality rate from 23 percent overall on March to 9 percent in July, in part by changing its treatment strategy. He said that the hospital's mortality rate for patients on ventilators is "somewhere in the 30 to 35 percent range."

tamuags08
AG
Quote:

This is going to be endemic sooner rather than later. Just another bug that circulates. Not unlike the Hong Kong Flu of 1968.
I hope so, but I struggle to see this designation in today's political environment, regardless of the data.
Motis B Totis
AG
Any update from Dora today?
Motis B Totis
AG
I'm guessing she keeps it a red Level 1

"Level 1 signifies a severe and uncontrolled level of COVID-19 in Harris County, meaning outbreaks are present and worsening and that testing and contact tracing capacity is strained or exceeded. At this level, residents take action to minimize contacts with others wherever possible and avoid leaving home except for the most essential needs like going to the grocery store for food and medicine."
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
Motis B Totis said:

Any update from Dora today?

Tied reopening guidance to the threat level system...red=no in person instruction, and phased in by % as the level decreases...said she tied it to the metrics to "remove all politics from the decision"...
cone
AG
are you serious?

she's saying less than 200 positive cases in the greater Houston area cases for two weeks straight to allow for in-person instruction?

holy f if that's correct
First Page Last Page
Page 240 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.