Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,409 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXTransplant said:

BohunkAg said:

TXTransplant said:

This "go get tested" campaign is dumb and clearly being pushed by people who have no idea what it's like to work in the "real world".

If I get tested - even with no symptoms and/or as part of a "routine screening" - I'm supposed to report it to my HR. When the results come back, I have to report that, too. All for "tracking purposes".

No, thank you.
I've heard of some people that have had it and were told that they had to get tested until they were negative to go back to work, which is nuts on a number of levels.

1) the guidance is 10 days from first symptoms and 72 hours free of symptoms
2) the virus can be present in your body and you can test positive after being clear and not being able to spread it.
3) people are then putting multiple positive tests in the system, which further pollutes the data pool.

It's nuts.

I agree. Our policy (and this has been in place since before this virus hit), is if you request 3 or more consecutive days of sick leave, you have to have a doctor's note (submitted to a third party management system that still has to "approve" it) to come back to work.

I suspect getting a doctor's note would require one or more negative tests.

So, testing is not required, but that's what's going to happen to adhere to policy.

At this point, I'm not sure why anyone, even WITH symptoms, would get tested unless they require medical attention. If you're sick, just stay home and keep whatever germs you have to yourself!
Friend's family of four tested prior to visiting their elderly grandparents.

And some folks are wanting to know if their covid-like symptoms are actually covid (and gotta isolate) or season allergies and get to carry-on with business as usual.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
chjoak said:

Countries using HCQ to treat COVID have lower fatality rates

from above...

Correlation =/ cause and effect
Fitch
AG
Eh, I make no predictions. Just feels like the record player is on loop...success in case suppression and general burnout leads to claims the peak is past....which leads to complacency and relaxing of practices....then undetected spread for a couple weeks and whoops, back at square one with more daily cases than the continent of Australia. But then again Aggie football ruined me years ago blowing success by riding complacency into the close out.

My two cents: the reality is the marketplace will not improve until people feel safe going back into public en mass. A flippant attitude just draws out the economic pain in an equal if not more destructive manner than a hard lock down.
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
third coast.. said:

there are LOADS of people that feel safe going in to public en masse. The issue is that our moron overlords wont allow it.
Fitch
AG
voila
chimpanzee
Fitch said:

Eh, I make no predictions. Just feels like the record player is on loop...success in case suppression and general burnout leads to claims the peak is past....which leads to complacency and relaxing of practices....then undetected spread for a couple weeks and whoops, back at square one with more daily cases than the continent of Australia. But then again Aggie football ruined me years ago blowing success by riding complacency into the close out.

My two cents: the reality is the marketplace will not improve until people feel safe going back into public en mass. A flippant attitude just draws out the economic pain in an equal if not more destructive manner than a hard lock down.

There are other options between being flippant and more lockdowns.

First, people need to realize that the lockdowns do not work except to delay the inevitable. The whole "flatten the curve" idea was based on the long standing epidemiology approach for viruses. The best scenario was that we could keep our hospitals from being overwhelmed, but if we overshot that in terms of restrictions, you were only going to cause more economic pain and delay the onset of immunity.

Trouble came when it became politically advantageous to be the seen as "taking courageous action" by bossing people around when their "courage" came with a check from Uncle Sugar to ease the pain for the plebes and plenty of fearmedia to consume for Karen, work from home her husband, and BS Zoom schooling for her Adderal'd up offspring. When the real cost of these policies comes home to roost in societal disruption, business failures, mental health problems, etc, they'll remind you how much worse it would have been under some farcical model that some sh_thead that has never been right about anything in his life made up last week in contravention of observed reality in locations that took the opposite approach and decades of science that they've been trying to bury for the last five months.

The waiting for vaccine gambit is as cynical, expensive, and risky as it could possibly be.

Australia is keeping infected people under house arrest right now sending cops to check on them and fining people that aren't home even if they've been asymptomatic for well beyond the infectious period.

Peru - hard lockdown from the jump, doing worse than Brazil. that had theirs overturned

Philippines - brutal lockdown, universal masking, now spiking cases.

This whole thing is a case study of what happens when the only people that we put in charge politically are only there because they want to be in charge politically and have no capacity to understand a complex issue much less make a tough decision.

aTm2004
AG
In addition, people need to understand that an increase in cases doesn't mean doom and gloom. It seems like many don't understand this and expect there to come a time where no new cases, which won't happen.
chimpanzee
aTm2004 said:

In addition, people need to understand that an increase in cases doesn't mean doom and gloom. It seems like many don't understand this and expect there to come a time where no new cases, which won't happen.

Agreed. If there are more cases and hospitalizations and deaths are falling, that's a good outcome, but people don't even realize that we will not have data to prove that out unless and until we get reliable sero studies. No one knows how many cases are actually out there, and if you use the best methods available to estimate it, you get shouted down.

In the meantime, they mine hotspots and localized outbreaks to pad the stats, delay releasing results, mischaracterize causes of death, etc.

Seems to me this is some combination of massive fear and moral panic all rolled into one giant psych experiment during an election year.
BohunkAg
AG
aTm2004 said:

This is what has blown my mind....it seems like people are expecting cases to drop to zero at some point.
LB12Diamond
AG
Yeppers

Pretty much have it nailed.
cone
AG
so what's city hall's plan for surveillance?

asking people on twitter to go get a swab shoved deep in their head?

I'm all for surveillance and heightened awareness but they seem to have very little when it comes to a plan
GEA89
AG
cone said:

I'm all for surveillance and heightened awareness but they seem to have very little when it comes to a plan
Probably asking for the public to start ratting out people like they did the businesses. Expect a bunch of looney people running around with their cameras snapping photos and threatening to turn them in
Stat Monitor Repairman
Much respect to those of you still analyzing data, looking at charts and graphs trying to make sense of all this.

I've got no confidence that the data has any connection with reality. Theres too many variables involved. Too many interests at play.

1. Error rate of the the tests, false positive, false negative. Don't forget, all these tests were manufactured as fast as possible, being administered and lab tested as fast as possible under tremendous pressure for speed.

2. Hospitals and testing centers absolutely have a financial interest in a certain outcome.

3. Every facet of the process is now politicized.

4. Theres no consistency in any of the reporting. (Death with covid / death but for covid).

5. Too many first hand reports of people getting called for positive tests when they didn't actually get tested.

6. Too many reports of people getting tested multiple times and having each test counted as a new case rather than a retest.

aTm2004
AG
cone said:

cone
AG
maybe if you get a test in the course of the current month they give you a piece of flair
Fitch
AG

Quote:

Yup. And we are balancing a drawn out and corrosive steady-state in the middle ground right now.

New cases will continue probably for the rest of forever given this is now endemic in the global population. By no means will we continue to have day-to-day life affected forever, but it will persist for however long there's a threat of mass hospitalization from just normal operating society.

*****ing about politicians, media and left/right philosophical divides is all fine and part of the course of American life, but it is conveniently simplistic, or tragically hypocritical, to blame other forces and disown personal responsibility for sustaining a paradigm because it doesn't align with one's worldview or political identity - across the spectrum.
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

maybe if you get a test in the course of the current month they give you a piece of flair
Or maybe a tattoo on your arm like the Nazis would do.
Fitch
AG
We have no appetite for what it would take to end the paradigm expediently, even it were an available option. We'll probably seesaw and stumble into herd immunity.

To your point a few weeks ago, only way forward is through at this point.
cone
AG

back again to save the day
cone
AG
you like the word paradigm
SirLurksALot
Fitch said:

Quote:

Yup. And we are balancing a drawn out and corrosive steady-state in the middle ground right now.

New cases will continue probably for the rest of forever given this is now endemic in the global population. By no means will we continue to have day-to-day life affected forever, but it will persist for however long there's a threat of mass hospitalization from just normal operating society.

*****ing about politicians, media and left/right philosophical divides is all fine and part of the course of American life, but it is conveniently simplistic, or tragically hypocritical, to blame other forces and disown personal responsibility for sustaining a paradigm because it doesn't align with one's worldview or political identity - across the spectrum.

Regarding "mass hospitalizations", it would be better for the country if we lifted restrictions and had hospitals temporarily over capacity than to do what we are doing now. The vast majority people wouldn't be affected by over capacity hospitals. The negative impacts are minimal, just like the impacts from the deaths.
Stat Monitor Repairman
cone said:

back again to save the day
Tower of traffic, hell yeah!
Fitch
AG
I think it's the "g" in there that keeps it being novel for me.
chimpanzee
Fitch said:

Quote:

I'm not going to default to the advice and direction of those that benefit personally from stringing out and amplifying the specter of this threat as long as possible.

Apart from sending my kids to school, I have close to zero interest in doing any of stereotypical activities that seem to draw the scorn of the pro-lockdowners in any case, and feel that it is imprudent to do so at the current time, but I have seen no output from the supposed "army" of contract tracers that we've hired to inform what the genesis of the current local spikes might be, nor anything beyond conjecture and one Chinese sourced diagram about the prevalence of spread at barber shops and restaurants. The dialogue has breezed right on past that.

If you want people to take personal responsibility, it would be nice if those that make it their profession to steer "other forces" would at least respond coherently to the actionable information we have at our disposal and try to come up with more such information to give us. Keep moving goalposts, changing metrics, fudging data, and ignoring costs and you've lost credibility and purposefully made actual responsible decision making more difficult.

If you want more restrictions because you doubt the capacity of your fellow citizens to behave responsibly, you should have to prove that those restrictions are worth the costs imposed provided that you can first prove that the restrictions do what you purport them to do.

Fitch
AG
chimpanzee said:

Fitch said:

Quote:

I'm not going to default to the advice and direction of those that benefit personally from stringing out and amplifying the specter of this threat as long as possible.

I have close to zero interest in doing any of stereotypical activities that seem to draw the scorn of the pro-lockdowners in any case, and feel that it is imprudent to do so at the current time, but I have seen no output from the supposed "army" of contract tracers that we've hired to inform what the genesis of the current local spikes might be, nor anything beyond conjecture and one Chinese sourced diagram about the prevalence of spread at barber shops and restaurants. The dialogue has breezed right on past that.

If you want people to take personal responsibility, it would be nice if those that make it their profession to steer "other forces" would at least respond coherently to the actionable information we have at our disposal and try to come up with more such information to give us. Keep moving goalposts, changing metrics, fudging data, and ignoring costs and you've lost credibility and purposefully made actual responsible decision making more difficult.

If you want more restrictions because you doubt the capacity of your fellow citizens to behave responsibly, you should have to prove that those restrictions are worth the costs imposed provided that you can first prove that the restrictions do what you purport them to do.

Agree on all points.

Call me cynical, but I personally think for that to work there has to be a bilateral respect between the public and public leaders, which today is broken.
Diggity
AG
contact tracing is a joke in a city as large and diverse as Houston.

It's totally voluntary and when a decent chunk of your infected population is undocumented, you're not getting a good response (assuming you have the right system and manpower in place, which we don't).

I read in San Antonio, the response rate is just over 10%. That ain't gonna do much good.

BohunkAg
AG
Fitch said:

chimpanzee said:

Fitch said:

Quote:

I have close to zero interest in doing any of stereotypical activities that seem to draw the scorn of the pro-lockdowners in any case, and feel that it is imprudent to do so at the current time, but I have seen no output from the supposed "army" of contract tracers that we've hired to inform what the genesis of the current local spikes might be, nor anything beyond conjecture and one Chinese sourced diagram about the prevalence of spread at barber shops and restaurants. The dialogue has breezed right on past that.

Agree on all points.

Call me cynical, but I personally think for that to work there has to be a bilateral respect between the public and public leaders, which today is broken.
On every single front.
chimpanzee
Fitch said:

chimpanzee said:

Fitch said:

Quote:

Agree on all points.

Yup.
TXTransplant
BohunkAg said:

aTm2004 said:

This is what has blown my mind....it seems like people are expecting cases to drop to zero at some point.

It also blows my mind that there are people who think even one death is unacceptable and that infections and deaths are 100% preventable.

As I said in a previous comment, there isn't any other disease or medical condition that we treat this way. And this attitude has me concerned that we will start treating the flu differently (since, by that standard, all flu deaths should be preventable).

I listened to a podcast the other day about a woman who has not left her apartment since March. She won't even put on a mask and go to the store or take a walk around the block. By her own admission, she is not high risk.

I think some people are wearing their compulsion to self-isolate as some kind of badge of honor.
cone
AG
Quote:

a bilateral respect between the public and public leaders, which today is broken.
you can't go to a funeral

but protests are nbd

i wonder how it got broken
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

Quote:

a bilateral respect between the public and public leaders, which today is broken.

but protests are nbd

swimmerbabe11
When's the last time Abbott has done a presser with any updates on anything? Politically, I feel like we are at a standstill. No news or timelines or anything. Silence.

Could he please come out and tell us that Wineries and Tasting rooms will be open starting immediately so I can more easily get drunk in Fredericksburg this weekend?
Bondag
AG
cone said:

Quote:

but protests are nbd

If you graduated from High School this year you celebrated 13 years of hard work with a zoom call or a pre-recorder video.

Meanwhile...

First Page Last Page
Page 234 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.