Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,497,147 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Bubba smollett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sts7049 said:

Silky Johnston said:

"I don't trust any source of information and only post them so people can make their own conclusions." Proceeds to only post janky ass data that supports your own position. Lol, ok.
but he contributes to fox news so it's OK
yean man Fox News is the Devil you get em!
aTm2004
AG
My SIL is a PA in an ED. We're leaving on Friday to head up to their place for the week. She hasn't dismissed it to be something not to worry about, but she's not buying the hype either. When everything was shut down, she had her shifts cut and had to take PTO in order to get paid something a few times due to the drop in volume through the ED.
BarryProfit
My neighbor is an ICU doc in med center. He had not been concerned throughout but is now. Has his own family locked down for the next two weeks.

This is a conservative guy politically that is reluctant to submit to govt mandates. If he's worried I figure it is with good reason.
spadilly
S

ATM9000
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

That's why I've shared from multiple sources. I don't trust any of them, but put them out there for others to see and draw their own conclusion

So in real life, do you just share data you don't trust?
cone
AG
does that mean not going to the grocery store?

not going outside, full stop?
IrishTxAggie
AG
ATM9000 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

That's why I've shared from multiple sources. I don't trust any of them, but put them out there for others to see and draw their own conclusion

I've been pretty damn consistent in sharing data from multiple sources throughout this entire thing. I'll share data that i believe to be closer to my belief just as often as I've shared data that wasn't. Make your own informed decision from it.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Let's assume we don't get a vaccine for a year. Or five years. Or ten. Or ever.

What are we supposed to do? Stay closed, stay home, stay masked forever?

ATM9000
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

ATM9000 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

I've been pretty damn consistent in sharing data from multiple sources throughout this entire thing. I'll share data that i believe to be closer to my belief just as often as I've shared data that wasn't. Make your own informed decision from it.
Glad you are consistent, but you've just indicated you aren't credible when it comes to this topic.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Where did I claim I was? I'm not trying to be a credible source in this mess. I'm simply sharing information from the sources I come across instead of having a tilted doom and gloom.
cajunaggie08
AG
I'm sure there is a middle ground we can all follow to keep this in check until a vaccine is available. We can start by having the majority of the population take this seriously and try to minimize the amount of people that they come in contact with. Going full lockdown for a year wont help as the consequences of that may be just as bad or worse. But we can be smart about going out and minimizing the number of people we come in contact with rather than treating this like its just a flu.
BarryProfit
cone said:

does that mean not going to the grocery store?

not going outside, full stop?

He said they aren't going anywhere that is not absolutely necessary. I didn't get into specifics. Sorry I know that's not terribly helpful.

Oh he did say that if you are out you absolutely have to wear a mask, he was almost pleading in his manner of speaking.

He said the last patient he put a tube into yesterday was healthy and 38 years old. Says that's obv rare case but still happening. They can't figure out why some are impacted and others aren't.
cone
AG
why two weeks? if this is the wave, why wouldn't it be for months?

there's a lot of virgin timber here

if he doesn't think the grocery store is safe, then we've got big problems

if it's not going to bars, well duh
oglaw
AG
Just watched Sylvester Turners pc. Says in the last two days have had over 1700 positive cases. Then says testing on these cases was done between June 9th -17th. Can somebody remind me what was happening before and during that time?
BohunkAg
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

I'm sure there is a middle ground we can all follow to keep this in check until a vaccine is available. We can start by having the majority of the population take this seriously and try to minimize the amount of people that they come in contact with. Going full lockdown for a year wont help as the consequences of that may be just as bad or worse. But we can be smart about going out and minimizing the number of people we come in contact with rather than treating this like its just a flu.
Well that's it....no matter how long anyone locked down for, there's gonna be a spike when you open back up....so it was either see a spike when you open back up or wait inside until there's a vaccine....if there ever even is one!
BohunkAg
AG
oglaw said:

Just watched Sylvester Turners pc. Says in the last two days have had over 1700 positive cases. Then says testing on these cases was done between June 9th -17th. Can somebody remind me what was happening before and during that time?
You are gonna get in trouble for talking about that.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
BohunkAg said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Well that's it....no matter how long anyone locked down for, there's gonna be a spike when you open back up....so it was either see a spike when you open back up or wait inside until there's a vaccine....if there ever even is one!

Exactly. If we get scared off by a spike, we're going to have to just stay closed forever. There will always be a spike when people have the opportunity to leave their homes, return to work, return to entertainment.
cajunaggie08
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

BohunkAg said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Exactly. If we get scared off by a spike, we're going to have to just stay closed forever. There will always be a spike when people have the opportunity to leave their homes, return to work, return to entertainment.
I dont think its just the spike that is scarring people. Its the fact that medical facilities are starting to show concern again. If this spike hits a peak in the next day or 2, then it should be an encouraging sign that we can be out more. The problem is what if the peak isnt hit for another week or 2. What habits and protocols do we have in place to flatten out the new curve in time before things get to the point of overloading the healthcare system?
Post removed:
by user
IrishTxAggie
AG

https://www.setrac.org/

Feel free to check it for yourself. I set the toggle to Harris county
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
jayelbee said:

We, as a collective, basically had 2 choices: Lots of pain, all up front, with potentially very dangerous health outcomes or commit to flattening the curve for 6-18 months until you get some herd immunity and can effectively manage the cases. Instead, we were stupid and decided to half ass it somewhere in between, potentially exposing ourselves to the worst outcomes of both paths and making as absolutely paint full as possible for the whole population.

If the past three months have been the half-ass version, I can't imagine what whole-assing it for 6-18 months would be like. Don't see how you do even more than we've done without (even more) completely ruining the economy and lives forever. THAT sounds like a death sentence.
cajunaggie08
AG
Sasappis said:

Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

BohunkAg said:

cajunaggie08 said:

People changed the goal from "flattening the curve" to no new infections.

It seems like without a vaccine, the only viable option is to slow the spread down enough where the system is not overwhelmed and to minimize exposure of those most at risk of death/serious problems.
A huge problem is we barely had the curve flattened with the extreme restrictions we had in place. Now the governor is continuing to keep his thumb on the green light button while ignoring the metrics that were set in place at the beginning of the reopening process. Even he said today we should all be wearing masks in public.
Texan_Aggie
AG
It continues to amaze me how much energy and effort people go through to support the "its not a big deal/no masks because they don't work/freedom" and "the sky is falling/hospitals are overloaded/people who leave their house are evil" positions with minimal effort to see the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

The virus is here to stay, for the foreseeable future. We can either find ways to live with it while maximizing public safety, or we'll end up right back at a shutdown similar to March/April.
cone
AG
I don't know how you were expecting the collective population to maintain the same sort of discipline advocated in March after the NYC serology results came out and put the massive epidemic death rate around 1% for the full cohort and the hospitalization rate around 4%, with both rates heavily weighted towards ages above retirement

it's still much worse than the flu but not for the full cohort. and not for the people most likely to be social to begin with.
BohunkAg
AG
jayelbee said:

Most people don't understand what flatting the curve means and entails. The whole point was lower, longer. Reopening goes completely against this approach and that's why you're seeing spikes now. The spikes are a problem, because it means you're failing at flattening the curve. People and the government deciding to abandon the plan after 4 weeks is why we are here today.

We, as a collective, basically had 2 choices: Lots of pain, all up front, with potentially very dangerous health outcomes or commit to flattening the curve for 6-18 months until you get some herd immunity and can effectively manage the cases. Instead, we were stupid and decided to half ass it somewhere in between, potentially exposing ourselves to the worst outcomes of both paths and making as absolutely paint full as possible for the whole population.
6-18 months???? when did that happen? Did you want to keep everyone not working for that period of time? Don't you remember what that was like?
BohunkAg
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

It continues to amaze me how much energy and effort people go through to support the "its not a big deal/no masks because they don't work/freedom" and "the sky is falling/hospitals are overloaded/people who leave their house are evil" positions with minimal effort to see the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

The virus is here to stay, for the foreseeable future. We can either find ways to live with it while maximizing public safety, or we'll end up right back at a shutdown similar to March/April.
Because apparently there can be no middle ground on anything in America anymore. It's insane.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Here's the thing everyone needs to keep in mind when advocating for more restrictive policies: we haven't yet really dealt with the fallout of the original lockdown because stimulus cash was flowing. We are about to the point where those dollars are going to dry up.

So we have a choice: more funny money or take a deep breath, brave the world we live in, know that we've stocked up on hospital capacity and medical gear and get on with our lives.

A second lockdown - especially absent more stimulus - will be extinction-level destructive to large segments of the economy.

I'm not saying don't be safe. I'm saying don't get out there encourage mass riots or generally being stupid.
gougler08
AG
jayelbee said:

Most people don't understand what flatting the curve means and entails. The whole point was lower, longer. Reopening goes completely against this approach and that's why you're seeing spikes now. The spikes are a problem, because it means you're failing at flattening the curve. People and the government deciding to abandon the plan after 4 weeks is why we are here today.

We were sold that we needed to close up shop for 2 weeks to flatten the curve...we did it for 2+ months (or still are in some states) so I think the message of open up but be cautious is the right one now
Post removed:
by user
TexAgs1992
Just two more weeks.
Alex Bregman
AG
TexAgs1992 said:

Just two more weeks.

Just 2 more years...
Foamcows
AG
so does "flatten the curve" still apply when people are getting the virus multiple times? Read yesterday how an LSU player tested positive for the second time.
RK
AG
It's LSU...somebody probably took the first test for him.
Jackal99
AG
RK said:

It's LSU...somebody probably took the first test for him.

Okay, that's funny
First Page Last Page
Page 155 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.