Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,546 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
David_Puddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Went to Christian's on White Oak for a burger and several $2.50 Shiners tonight. Surprisingly much busier than I would typically expect for a Wednesday. The women are starting to come out. Their lack of bra use is carrying over into going out in public. I'm okay with this. I imagine once the Instagram stories start popping up the rest of the sloots will resume normal life.

I'm not sure that I want to see the types of females going to Christians on a weeknight sans a bra. Somewhere like Local Foods or Postino, however, bring that sh-t on.
Mookie
AG
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy
David_Puddy
AG
Not wanting to see fat saggy tits makes me gay? Ok bub
IrishTxAggie
AG
David_Puddy said:

It wasn't that at all. These were decent looking girls that probably just wanted out of the house. Tired of being cooped up
Unemployed
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

David_Puddy said:

It wasn't that at all. These were decent looking girls that probably just wanted out of the house. Tired of being cooped up
Gotta let them boobs go free!!!
IrishTxAggie
AG
RealTalk said:

IrishTxAggie said:

David_Puddy said:

Texaggie7nine
RealTalk said:

IrishTxAggie said:

David_Puddy said:

Boobs have been oppressed for far too long...
7nine
ChemAg15
AG
We should all go SJW for boob rights. STOP THE OPPRESSION
TXTransplant
Is anyone following the revised school calendar recommendations from TEA? Basically, they are suggesting extending the school year by an additional 30 days. School would start at the beginning of August and go through next June (with extra days off in Nov, Dec-Jan, and Mar).

I'll be honest, I've been pretty calm through all this, but not having a school calendar and facing the possibility of having the calendar change this much is starting to concern me.

Has anyone heard if their district is seriously considering this plan?

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/TEA-2020-21-school-year-calendar-Texas-districts-15269719.php
Wheatables02
AG
TXTransplant said:

Is anyone following the revised school calendar recommendations from TEA? Basically, they are suggesting extending the school year by an additional 30 days. School would start at the beginning of August and go through next June (with extra days off in Nov, Dec-Jan, and Mar).

I'll be honest, I've been pretty calm through all this, but not having a school calendar and facing the possibility of having the calendar change this much is starting to concern me.

Has anyone heard if their district is seriously considering this plan?

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/TEA-2020-21-school-year-calendar-Texas-districts-15269719.php
Yes DFW, specifically Lewisville is considering that as well.
RK
AG
i'll do whatever it takes to get my kids back to school as soon as possible. beginning of august sounds good to me.

but, yes, the total uncertainty right now does suck.
Fitch
AG
My secondhand understanding is HISD and Ft. Bend are well along the way to have some form of distance learning in the fall. Not necessarily full time like this spring, but definitely modified.
ChemAg15
AG
Full disclosure, I have no kids so this doesn't affect me. But it makes sense that they'd extend the school year since kids are going to be behind. And with the additional breaks in there, why is this a problem? Disrupting August travel plans?
Jack Cheese
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Full disclosure, I have no kids so this doesn't affect me. But it makes sense that they'd extend the school year since kids are going to be behind. And with the additional breaks in there, why is this a problem? Disrupting August travel plans?

This would be true if a huge chunk of every school day wasn't completely wasted in mind-numbing inactivity.
jenn96
AG
RK said:

i'll do whatever it takes to get my kids back to school as soon as possible. beginning of august sounds good to me.

but, yes, the total uncertainty right now does suck.

Me too. My kids hate this and are miserable.
TXTransplant
So, it's been my opinion through all of this that while some kids will be behind, we were most of the way through the school year, and there has been a substantial amount of distance learning going on (at least in my district). I personally think they should stick to the schedule they have and handle the kids/classes that need additional assistance on a case by case basis. Unless a kid completely checked out for the last two months (and I realize some have done that), no one should be so far behind.

My son is in high school, and while some content has been cut, he certainly isn't "behind". The content that's been eliminated can be made up, and it's not anything that will affect his ability to graduate or get into college.

But I don't think the extra days are for catch up. I think they are trying to build extra time into the schedule because they expect a second wave of infections that will close schools again.

As far as the schedule goes, vacation is an issue, but it's also so much more than that. My son is also in band, so we are already beholden to that schedule for the year, which means we can't even take long weekends to visit family that lives an hour away. No school schedule means no band schedule, which leaves a lot up in the air.

My son is in Boy Scouts, too, and thankfully he's already done Philmont, but a change to the school schedule affects Sea Base. And those reservations are made over one year out (although, I suspect that is all on hold right now).

I am also a single mom, so no school schedule complicates visitation. The idea of only having the month of July off next summer is concerning because, legally, he's supposed to spend a month with his dad - which would mean no Sea Base or any other type of vacation for him. And it might not even be a full month because band camp usually starts the last Monday in July. Obviously, I can negotiate with his dad, but these are all things that I think about.

These are all first-world problems, I know, but our district has (had?) already put out the calendars for the next TWO years, and given that we are also thinking about ACT/SAT testing and visits to prospective universities, there is a lot of advance planning that has to be done.

It's amazing how many of these activities are planned (and require financial commitments) 1+ year in advance. I didn't even realize it myself until we got into it.

Thinking about it all gives me a headache.
JYDog90
AG
Not saying this is your attitude but it's a little off-putting to have parents throwing fits, complaining about how are they going to be able to get Dylan and Brecklyn to Disney this summer if we're starting back earlier than you said.

Schools are trying to figure out a way to do their jobs and actually educate their students amidst a crapload of uncertainty. If you go back a couple of weeks early and possibly finish a couple of weeks late but accomplish what needs to happen, then I'm all for it.

Now that same article is saying that a lot of learning, and teaching, didn't happen...but it's somewhat understandable given they were doing it on the fly. I've heard some estimates that educators were trying to accomplish 60% of what they would have.

I believe now the attempts are to create a plan in which all is accomplished in this next school year.

Parents thinking they're owed 104 days of summer vacation and if they don't get it, they're raising cane, are tiring. You've had off since the first freaking week of March. It will be 6 months by the time most go back.
Formerly Willy Wonka
jenn96
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Not saying this is your attitude but it's a little off-putting to have parents throwing fits, complaining about how are they going to be able to get Dylan and Brecklyn to Disney this summer if we're starting back earlier than you said.

Schools are trying to figure out a way to do their jobs and actually educate their students amidst a crapload of uncertainty. If you go back a couple of weeks early and possibly finish a couple of weeks late but accomplish what needs to happen, then I'm all for it.

Now that same article is saying that a lot of learning, and teaching, didn't happen...but it's somewhat understandable given they were doing it on the fly. I've heard some estimates that educators were trying to accomplish 60% of what they would have.

I believe now the attempts are to create a plan in which all is accomplished in this next school year.

Parents thinking they're owed 104 days of summer vacation and if they don't get it, they're raising cane, are tiring. You've had off since the first freaking week of March. It will be 6 months by the time most go back.
Are parents complaining about that? All I've heard is concerns about the stuff Transplant has mentioned - custodial visits, child care, long-term planning, etc. I'm not a teacher so I imagine if you're in the business you've heard a lot more *****ing and if so I can imagine the frustration. Frankly I have my two elementary-age kids home with me; I'd be fine if they went back to school 365 days a year. (That's a joke).
TXTransplant
That's not my attitude. I totally get that schools are trying to do everything they can.

And it's not even going back early that concerns me. We were already planning for my son to be back the last Monday in July for band camp. That was a commitment made over a year ago.

I do have concerns with extending the school year through next June for all the reasons I listed above. Unfortunately, making changes to the school calendar causes a domino effect that has a lot of unintended consequences.

And not having a calendar at all is also problematic, for the all reasons stated above.

And if you read that link, these decisions are not being made to catch kids back up from the loss of school days THIS year. They are being made because there is an expectation that school will be closed AGAIN in the fall/winter. They are trying to build in a buffer for that.

At the end of the day, I'm not one of those parents that will "raise cane" because ultimately I know I have almost zero control over the decisions the district makes and will have to comply to keep my kid in school.

But, as has been reflected by other conversations on this board, decisions are being made now regarding how things will be 6 months to 1 year from now. And those decisions seem to be erring on the very conservative side.

I not sure I'm onboard with the idea of building a calendar NOW that assumes there will be more school closures in the fall. Because what's going to happen is, they will likely stick to that calendar even if schools don't have to close.

And if schools do close again, I'd like to see a more robust online system that can accommodate at-home learning rather than simply extending the school year.

Or, alternatively, offer BOTH all year, and give students the option to do online school all the time.

I saw an article the other day that said there are a few districts in TX that already offer an online option. Funny, HISD was one of them. Which makes me wonder why they had such a hard time getting their online program for the rest of their students in place, but that's a different discussion.
jenn96
AG
I posted this in the COVID 19 Forum but it's applicable here. This is a really interesting article from Iceland which has done aggressive generic disease testing of the infected population. Lots of interesting info but this really got my attention:
Quote:

Quote:
The clinical diversity of COVID-19 is another big question. Some people describe it as a mild cold. Others end up on a respirator and die.
Men are much more likely to become infected than women. If women get infected, they do not get as sick as men.
Children under 10 are less likely to get infected than adults and if they get infected, they are less likely to get seriously ill. What is interesting is that even if children do get infected, they are less likely to transmit the disease to others than adults. We have not found a single instance of a child infecting parents.
Obviously this needs more research, but if it's true, then the idea of kids as transmission vectors for the adults in school can be managed, and the adults just have to be more careful with each other. Which they can do, they're adults. Add in the fact that women are less likely to get infected in the first place. What percentage of school teachers and administrators are women? 85%? I hope these finding can be replicated because if true, it's a game-changer for opening up schools and by default the economy.

[url=https://www.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/blog/hunting-down-covid-19/][/url]https://www.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/blog/hunting-down-covid-19/
aTm2004
AG
Willy Wonka said:

What she brought up are legit things parents have to consider. Extending school and taking away summer time is often taking away the only time the family gets to be an actual family. My oldest is just completing first grade, and it seems like our kids are doing things left and right during the school year, whether it's sports, dance, church chior, etc. I can only imagine how much worse it is for parents of HS students, who often don't get the full time off during Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Spring Break if they're involved in any kind of activities at school. So yeah, having June and July to take the kids somewhere when they don't have commitments to school is kind of important, and even more so if that parent is divorced and have visitation requirements...and not all parents are civil to each other after divorce.
JYDog90
AG
I've heard that school opening plans historically have been ON/OFF switches. You just turn it on and ready to go with a week or two. But now, reopening plans have to be much more like a dimmer switch, where you may have situations like:

VIRTUAL LEARNING

COHORT/BLENDED

MODIFIED SCHEDULE

LOWER DENSITY

DELAYED START

OPEN

EARLY START

And you may have to move among these various scenarios throughout the school year. You may have to start at lower density, which may require you to move between virtual learning and a modified schedule. If you get an outbreak, you go to complete virtual learning for two weeks or maybe a week or two off and then go to virtual learning and then blended.
Formerly Willy Wonka
BowSowy
AG
This was also (mostly) observed in an Australian study:

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3110552
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
aTm2004 said:

I'm assuming you're not some technological tard and have a semi-relevant smart phone with a decent camera?
I have one but I'm not a total creeper.
Jackal99
AG
blindey said:

aTm2004 said:

I'm assuming you're not some technological tard and have a semi-relevant smart phone with a decent camera?
This makes the Tine weep.
HtownWilly12
blindey said:

aTm2004 said:

Flagged for thread derailing
Bassmaster
AG
Quote:

And if you read that link, these decisions are not being made to catch kids back up from the loss of school days THIS year. They are being made because there is an expectation that school will be closed AGAIN in the fall/winter. They are trying to build in a buffer for that.

That is what pisses me off about this. We haven't learned from our mistakes this go around? We need to be making up our minds that we absolutely will not shut down again. Building days into the calendar to allow for it may tempt them unnecessarily use them.
aTm2004
AG
blindey said:

aTm2004 said:

Ag_07
AG
So you want a calendar now but you don't want them making decisions about 4-6 months out right now?
TXTransplant
Ag_07 said:

So you want a calendar now but you don't want them making decisions about 4-6 months out right now?

I didn't say that.

But, my preference would be that they leave the calendar the same. Or at least only add days to August 2020 and not add extra days in June of next year.

I'm on the fence about adding extra days off in the fall, in part because that presumes schools will be closed again. If they are, kids should be able to do the online thing and extra days shouldn't be necessary. Because they are adding days to June 2021 in order to "make up" for any days that school ~might~ be closed in the fall/winter.

As a general rule, I think make up days (beyond the one or two that have typically been built into every year) are not the answer to extended school closures - whether that be for hurricanes/floods or virus outbreaks.

I'm not on board with making major changes that will affect us 6-12 months from now to an ~already established~ calendar. The 2020/2021 calendar has been published for a few months.
Foamcows
AG
Had to swing by the home improvement stores today for the first time in a few months. Lowes had about 70% people wearing masks, and 30% not (customers and staff). Anyone could come and go as they pleased.

Unfortunately they didnt have what i needed so i swung over to Depot... At first I thought I could hop into the lawn and garden and grab what I wanted but its "Exit Only"... at which time i saw a massive queue to get in the store. They had some back and forth setup like they do at airport security.

I really dont understand what depot is trying to achieve with this setup... If they are trying to say they are on the side of being cautious, then you wouldnt want some back and forth queue to get in that everyone has to pass by someone else...
aTm2004
AG
Had a few stops today and had a few shake my head moments.

Stop 1 was grabbing breakfast for my wife and me. Walk in and order it to go. I'm waiting over in an area with a couple more people (no masks) when a guy walks in with a mask. He orders and walks over to where we were waiting, notices he's the only non-employee wearing a mask, and takes it off and puts it in his pocket. Another guy there notices this as well and gives me a little grin.

Kids wanted Jesus Chicken instead of what my wife and I got, I decided it was too early in the morning to argue, so I ran through the drive-thru to grab theirs. Guy in front of me pays with cash, so they hold out a basket for him to put it in. They then hand him his change in the basket. What's the point? The employee is still handling the money the other guy touched, and he's still grabbing the money the employee touched. All they did was add 1 additional variable that everyone touches.

Our anniversary is this week, and since we've both wanted a new pair of sunglasses, we decided to go to the mall and grab a pair (also to get the kids out of the house). Walk into the Sunglass Hut and are the only customers there. The employee tells us no more than 2 customers allowed in the store at a time. I ask if that included families, and he said it did. So, it's apparently safer for one adult to wait outside with 3 young kids (1 in a stroller) where tons of people are walking by than it is to let us stay in the store and spend money. So we left. The local Academy sales the 2 brands I wanted to look at, so we'll try there tomorrow.
jetch17
AG
Pussification.
Post removed:
by user
jetch17
First Page Last Page
Page 130 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.