Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,127 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
prisons are an interesting study to me. higher population density and likely lower sanitary conditions than the outside. seems like a good data point for a "bad case" scenario. obviously would be helpful to know the demographic breakdown of the population, but really...active virus spread and no symptoms are kind of an ideal goal to achieve herd immunity.
aTm2004
AG
Tucker had a segment on last night where a prison in CA (IIRC) had inmates on video passing around a bottle to drink after one another to try to get Corona so they can be released. They got it but they weren't released.
jenn96
AG
I'm fascinated by the high asymptomatic rate in prisons. That's not a population in optimal health, for every young ripped guy you have older guys with medical conditions. The diet is probably decently nutritious but certainly nothing special. Maybe it's the smoking lol; there was a study out of France showing that smokers actually did better than non-smokers. But it's puzzling.
cone
AG
same goes for the homeless populations

it's probably just the age and obesity

it seems to be a respiratory bug that reveals underlying vascular weakness

you don't get seroprevalence of 20% in NYC predominantly on the backs of the older cohort. younger people have it and don't know they have it.
drumboy
AG
jenn96 said:

I'm fascinated by the high asymptomatic rate in prisons. That's not a population in optimal health, for every young ripped guy you have older guys with medical conditions. The diet is probably decently nutritious but certainly nothing special. Maybe it's the smoking lol; there was a study out of France showing that smokers actually did better than non-smokers. But it's puzzling.
Is anybody ripped in prison with the shlt diet the feed them? No lean protein and no access to heavy weights. My buddy did 1K pushups a day for about a year and came out 100 lbs skinnier and not ripped....granted he was hittin the saucer regularly before going in, which is what got him the mandatory vacation retreat.

Yes the Tine Rona Thread has forked into ex-con associates.
jenn96
AG
Haha my prison research is based on movies so I defer to your knowledge. But my point stands; a prison population is not any younger, healthier, diet/supplement optimized than the regular population but the asymptomatic rate is really high. That's not bad - it's actually very good - it just surprises me.
cone
AG
Quote:

a prison population is not any younger, healthier, diet/supplement optimized than the regular population
it wouldn't be younger?
jenn96
AG
Not sure how it actual numbers average out but there are a lot of middle-aged and older guys in prisons. When these studies first came out about prison infections I remember that coming out; because it wasn't my assumption either. Although I doubt there are a lot of 90 year olds so the average and median age are probably lower too. . But it's not just that their symptoms are mild, it's that's it's asymptomatic.
drumboy
AG
True, and not very good hygiene. I doubt most folks shower regularly and some dudes would go weeks between showers and stink so bad that other inmates forced them to shower.
W
AG
it is kind of strange...the TDCJ sends out an update when a prisoner dies from COVID.

and they usually say what the deceased's sentence was.

one recent one was serving a life sentence for murder.

another one was a few weeks from completing his 20-year sentence for sexual assault.

another one had 4 DWI's
Diggity
AG
W said:

another one had 4 DWI's

Is cirrhosis a known co-morbidity?
cone
AG
the best way i can understand something like this is that the bug is plenty deadly on aggregate, but it's just a complete reaper if you're over 75

under 60 hospitalization is ~3 in 100, across all shapes and sizes
RK
AG
Except, "100" is actually a completely unknown number.
HtownWilly12
W said:

it is kind of strange...the TDCJ sends out an update when a prisoner dies from COVID.

another one was a few weeks from completing his 20-year sentence for sexual assault.

another one had 4 DWI's
Sounds like COVID did what the justice system should have done for a few of these
cone
AG
we've got pretty good guesses now

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/12/science.abc3517
aTm2004
AG
jenn96 said:

Haha my prison research is based on movies so I defer to your knowledge. But my point stands; a prison population is not any younger, healthier, diet/supplement optimized than the regular population but the asymptomatic rate is really high. That's not bad - it's actually very good - it just surprises me.
Goes back to the George Carlin bit about working your immune systems to keep them in shape. Prisons sound like a pretty good place to participate in the practice of keeping your immune system strong, so maybe there's a correlation there.
aTm2004
AG
HtownWilly12 said:

W said:

another one had 4 DWI's
Sounds like COVID did what the justice system should have done for a few of these
Only an optimist could find the good in this virus, and you sir, are an optimist.
HtownWilly12
aTm2004 said:

HtownWilly12 said:

W said:

another one had 4 DWI's
Only an optimist could find the good in this virus, and you sir, are an optimist.
Doubling down on the optimism...we saved a lot of taxpayer dollars too
jenn96
AG
Diggity said:

W said:

another one had 4 DWI's

Is cirrhosis a known co-morbidity?
Lol I hope not; my liver is taking the brunt of this mess.
RK
AG
cone said:

we've got pretty good guesses now

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/05/12/science.abc3517

If I'm reading that correctly, which would probably be a first, they are using surveillance data from a cruise ship and using that to back-calculate infections from observed hospitalizations in France.

In reality, we have no clue. There's just too many leaps between too few data points to have any confidence in that.
cone
AG
matches the IFR from South Korea and the serology study from NYC

the anchor point IFR of 0.7 - 1.0 seems to repeat across the world

but you can even let that float. it's the hospitalization data and the relative contribution by age to the negative outcomes that is important
RK
AG
Agreed on the last part. Those are the knowns and the most important pieces of this puzzle to analyze.
David_Puddy
AG
I could've sworn I cliked on the Tine Chinese virus thread but I'm reading about prisoners in Cali......weird. Who cares about a) worthless hard criminals & b) liberal ass Cali (who is currently trying to f up my extreme enjoyment of college & pro football). F em both.

Let's get back to talking about Tine related sh-t on here. Like, are restaurants going to be able to increase to 50% capacity next week? I thought that was the original goal, but haven't heard much about it since.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
David_Puddy said:

I could've sworn I cliked on the Tine Chinese virus thread but I'm reading about prisoners in Cali......weird. Who cares about a) worthless hard criminals & b) liberal ass Cali (who is currently trying to f up my extreme enjoyment of college & pro football). F em both.

Let's get back to talking about Tine related sh-t on here. Like, are restaurants going to be able to increase to 50% capacity next week? I thought that was the original goal, but haven't heard much about it since.

Restaurants are at 100%. No one is listening to this bull***** Although I'm in the burbs so virtue signaling hipster places are probably different.
ChemAg15
AG
Running your business into the ground in the name of coronavirus safety is the new badge of honor among neolibs
gougler08
AG
Drove by the Lopez that is attached to the Gallery Furniture off of 99 and they had set up a huge tent for "patio" seating...love the loophole exploitation
David_Puddy
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

David_Puddy said:

Restaurants are at 100%. No one is listening to this bull***** Although I'm in the burbs so virtue signaling hipster places are probably different.

Not the ones that I've been to.
JYDog90
AG
Me neither.
Formerly Willy Wonka
IrishTxAggie
AG
Went to Christian's on White Oak for a burger and several $2.50 Shiners tonight. Surprisingly much busier than I would typically expect for a Wednesday. The women are starting to come out. Their lack of bra use is carrying over into going out in public. I'm okay with this. I imagine once the Instagram stories start popping up the rest of the sloots will resume normal life.
aTm2004
AG
I've done some pickups at a few local places in my suburb and they're not at 100%, but they're more than 25%. Outdoor seating is more crowded than the inside (probably weather has a lot to do with it as well). We haven't gone out yet, but it's more to do with the fact we have 3 young kids who are loud, so a normally loud restaurant being much quieter wouldn't be ideal.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Perry's on West Gray was not 100% open last night.

Brasserie 19 was packed with a lot of publicly traded money when I was leaving Perry's.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

The women are starting to come out. Their lack of bra use is carrying over into going out in public. I'm okay with this. I imagine once the Instagram stories start popping up the rest of the sloots will resume normal life.
I found a treasure trove of hotties: Washington Avenue HEB between 8 and 9 am. Went this morning and I was the only male there. All single women, all just getting into that late 20s to early 30s sweet spot where they're starting to hit the reality that they still haven't landed a man no matter how well they've maintained their bodies and how far they've advanced in their careers. They're just strolling through the aisles, dressed in their masks, athelisure tank tops with no bras and yoga pants (or their alluringly short casual dresses, also with no bras), solemnly filling their carts with kale and starting to count the number of days that lockdown means they're that much farther away from landing a man and having a baby. Just vast fields and amber waves of braless hotties in yoga pants as far as the eye can see.
Jackal99
AG
A true wordsmith.
aTm2004
AG
I'm assuming you're not some technological tard and have a semi-relevant smart phone with a decent camera?
Silky Johnston
I mean, have you seen Shawshank Redemption? Outside of Tommy, those fools were old.
First Page Last Page
Page 129 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.