Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,397 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Masks were given a penalty which was deemed unconstitutional. I think there's a pretty good argument on the constitutionality of private businesses being forced to close.

Also you don't think that Federal American Grill has permits and licensing that could be revoked or fined???
Again, /shrug.

I don't care either way. Just pointing out that hair cutters may or may not risk their license. Not trying to score points, just observing. I'll go back to lurking so I don't trigger all the freedom fighters lol.
Ag_07
AG
The issue is that the MoCo judge actually read the executive order.

The order as it's written says people should avoid businesses such as barbershops, gyms, bars, etc.

It does not explicitly say they must be closed and therefore he can't enforce it. Like he said if Abbott clarifies and issues an amendment to the order then it becomes enforceable but as of now it would unconstitutional to enforce.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I think Abbott may have kept that vagueness on purpose. He's challenging the cities/counties to see if they'll try to usurp his orders and then use it against them come election time.
BMX Bandit
I agree it's vague. Like most Abbott orders, it leaves many questions. But it does say:

Quote:

In accordance with guidance from DSHS Commissioner Dr. Hellerstedt, and to achieve the goals established by the President to reduce the spread of COVD-19, every person in Texas shall, except where necessary to provide or obtain essential services, minimize social gatherings and minimize in-person contact with people who are not in the same household.

So If every person shall stay home except to provide or obtain essential services, then no one can go work at a gym or salon or bar etc.
Sumatriptan
Have you offered your services to MoCo yet? They need it!
RK
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I agree it's vague. Like most Abbott orders, it leaves many questions. But it does say:

Quote:

In accordance with guidance from DSHS Commissioner Dr. Hellerstedt, and to achieve the goals established by the President to reduce the spread of COVD-19, every person in Texas shall, except where necessary to provide or obtain essential services, minimize social gatherings and minimize in-person contact with people who are not in the same household.

So If every person shall stay home except to provide or obtain essential services, then no one can go work at a gym or salon or bar etc.

Clearly you have not been reading this thread or else you would know that gyms are essential.
IrishTxAggie
AG
BMX Bandit
Sumatriptan said:

Have you offered your services to MoCo yet? They need it!

To tell them it's confusing? They seem to already know that!
Ag83
AG
Ag_07 said:

The issue is that the MoCo judge actually read the executive order.

The order as it's written says people should avoid businesses such as barbershops, gyms, bars, etc.

It does not explicitly say they must be closed and therefore he can't enforce it. Like he said if Abbott clarifies and issues an amendment to the order then it becomes enforceable but as of now it would unconstitutional to enforce.
It says "shall avoid visiting....cosmetology salons", not "should".

Personally, I think that whole part is worded squirrely ((intentionally maybe?). Why not either say people "shall not patronize..." or, if you really mean it, just say something like "the following businesses shall remain closed..."?
gougler08
AG
The thing is 40+ pages long and just confuses me more
chrisrrtx
AG
FYI - Got turned away from Total Wine yesterday evening for not wearing a mask.
That being said, anyone know where I can go buy some masks in person?
aTm2004
AG
chrisrrtx said:

Just put a crusty tube sock in your pocket. If anyone says anything, tie it around your mouth and proceed. If you're a woman, pull out one of your sanitary napkins and use that.
aTm2004
AG
If you want to work out badly enough and don't mind driving to New Caney, DM me. I may know a gym that might or might not be operating.
Ciboag96
Trump holds up Houston as evidence of progress

Quote:

President Donald Trump held up Houston as evidence of encouraging signs in the battle against COVID-19 during his daily press briefing in Washington on Monday.

"Cases in New York area, New Orleans, Detroit, Boston and Houston are declining," Trump said from the White House.

However, Harris County has continued to see cases of COVID-19 increasing. Earlier Monday, Texas reported the total number of cases in Harris County had topped 5,800 and 98 people in the county have now died.

But it is true Harris County has seen a recent decrease in the number of newly reported cases of the virus compared to earlier in April. On Monday, 101 new cases were reported. That is almost one-third of the cases that were being reported at times in early April. As recently as last week, that county reported nearly 200 new cases on one day.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner acknowledged numbers are improving some but warned cases are still emerging.

"I know the numbers are favorable, but every day almost we are adding to the number of people testing positively for COVID-19, and sadly today we are reporting four individuals who have lost their lives to this corona-virus," Turner said in a briefing Monday before Trump's briefing.
Turner stressed caution.

"I want to emphasize, as steps are being taken to reopen, I simply want to put forth a cautionary note that the virus is still prevalent, and there are still things we need to do," he said

Hey Turner, what happened to flatten the curve? Its flattening. Mission accomplished. This was never "eradicate the virus" or "keeping new cases from emerging". It was about making sure the hospitals can take the load. Hospitals are underwhelmed and the citizens of Houston have had ****ing enough of this *****

aTm2004
AG
Bro, do you even new narrative? We can't return to normal, ever, and whatever the new normal is can't be executed until there are negative cases of Corona and people are rising from the grave, ala Jesus mic dropping on the Romans.
Bondag
AG
chrisrrtx said:

Walmart, but you have to be wearing a mask to get in.
lunchbox
aTm2004 said:

chrisrrtx said:

Just put a crusty tube sock in your pocket. If anyone says anything, tie it around your mouth and proceed. If you're a woman, pull out one of your sanitary napkins and use that.
I saw a woman wearing an eye mask (like you wear when sleeping) across her nose and mouth today.
aTm2004
AG
lunchbox said:

aTm2004 said:

chrisrrtx said:

I saw a woman wearing an eye mask (like you wear when sleeping) across her nose and mouth today.
And the only thing it's effective in doing is making Karen's feels better.
Fitch
AG
Cross posting to here.

Diggity
AG

Abbott considering making alcohol to go a permanent rule change.
Texaggie7nine
chrisrrtx said:

You can call around to CVS and Walgreens and see if they have loose single masks they are selling.

Also craigslist has tons of people selling home made ones you can meet up and buy. Same with ebay.

Maybe get this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Houston-Oilers-NFL-Vintage-knit-hat-Game-Face-dead-stock-Ski-mask-childs/143463830534?hash=item21671c5406:g:yRkAAOSwUORd6ap~
7nine
Texaggie7nine
Diggity said:

Abbott considering making alcohol to go a permanent rule change.
Now, if we can get him to allow liquor stores to open on sunday.
7nine
drumboy
AG
chrisrrtx said:

My 14 yo daughter is making them (with training from her grandmother) and has sold several on Nextdoor for $7 each to save up for a Macbook. I can drop some off with you if you're close to the heights.

mrerik@gmail.com

IrishTxAggie
AG
chrisrrtx said:

Or go to the Liquor/Meth store down the road and give the business to the fella that looks like he has smoked a pack an hour for the last 30yrs.
IrishTxAggie
AG
If she had Aggie or Astros fabric, I'd buy one just to support a kid making a savvy business plan
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Check places that sell painting supplies and get a painters mask. I got some at Walmart that were 5 for $1. Might try Sherwin Williams also.
drumboy
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

If she had Aggie or Astros fabric, I'd buy one just to support a kid making a savvy business plan
Those are harder to find than a haircut these days. My mom goes to JoAnn's like once a week (she makes these for nurses etc for free) and it's always sold out. My daughter says these fabrics look like old lady shower curtains and she'd kill for Stros/Ags material.
cajunaggie08
AG
What is going on with Fort Worth's increase in numbers?
sts7049
AG
lunchbox said:

aTm2004 said:

chrisrrtx said:

that's what I'm using. it's all I got
Fitch
AG
No clue. They're bucking the trend in a big way, though.
Quote:

Chewy
AG
Fort Worth is having a Honky Tonk Crawl for Freedom in the Stockyards on Friday. They don't give a damn about your graph. Freedom is all they care about.

Take your fancy graphs back to where you came from.

"Join freedom and liberty-loving patriots as we exercise our Constitutional right to peacefully assemble in support of Fort Worth Stockyards business owners challenging ongoing un-Constitutional, government-imposed closures," the description of the event said.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article242348761.html#storylink=coy
Jackal99
AG
Chewy said:

Fort Worth is having a Honky Tonk Crawl for Freedom in the Stockyards on Friday. They don't give a damn about your graph. Freedom is all they care about.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article242348761.html
HereWeGo.gif
Texaggie7nine
sts7049 said:

lunchbox said:

aTm2004 said:

chrisrrtx said:

doesn't that just make you look like you have a ridiculous looking fake mustache?
7nine
IrishTxAggie
AG
Chewy said:

"Join freedom and liberty-loving patriots as we exercise our Constitutional right to peacefully assemble in support of Fort Worth Stockyards business owners challenging ongoing un-Constitutional, government-imposed closures," the description of the event said.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article242348761.html#storylink=coy

Be interested to see how Betsy Price handles this. She's well liked amongst the conservatives I know up there.
sts7049
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

sts7049 said:

lunchbox said:

aTm2004 said:

chrisrrtx said:

doesn't that just make you look like you have a ridiculous looking fake mustache?

it's pretty oversized, one of the ones the airlines give you
First Page Last Page
Page 116 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.