Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,813 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Unemployed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTm2004 said:

RealTalk said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

gougler08 said:

I think the real bulk of consumer wants lies somewhere between cone's doom and gloom and Irish's full optimism.
This is usually the case for pretty much anything political here.
Damn, did we agree?
The funny thing is, before the rona hit, I agreed with probably 90% of what you posted on f16. I am libertarian after all.
We'll, I've never met someone who agrees 100% with me, nor do I want to. Disagreement is good for everyone.
It's good that you're okay with most people thinking you're ugly.
Just needed to find 1 who didn't think so, and I did.

Touche.
HouAggie2007
aTm2004 said:

HouAggie2007 said:

It was weird how everyone was having rational conversation this morning. Glad we woke back up and took some crazy pills
We're still having a rational conversation. I'm sorry that you don't like humor, jokes, or anything that isn't 100% strictly business to keep that stick up your butt feeling tight.

Chill out man, I wasn't complaining
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
For whatever it's worth, I had to go by the heights Home Depot this morning. There were a lot of people dutifully wearing masks, busily and frequently pulling at them and adjusting them as they walked up and down the aisles.
Daddy-O5
AG
blindey said:

For whatever it's worth, I had to go by the heights Home Depot this morning. There were a lot of people dutifully wearing masks, busily and frequently pulling at them and adjusting them as they walked up and down the aisles.
This is why we can't have nice things!
Texaggie7nine
blindey said:

This is an argument against wearing masks for personal protection. The argument for non n95 masks is not for personal protection, it's to prevent asymptomatic carriers from expelling as much viral load into the air as they would without the mask.

If most people are catching it from droplets inhaled rather than from touching their face, then this is a good policy.

That is where we are at.
7nine
Bubba smollett
Texaggie7nine said:

blindey said:

This is an argument against wearing masks for personal protection. The argument for non n95 masks is not for personal protection, it's to prevent asymptomatic carriers from expelling as much viral load into the air as they would without the mask.

If most people are catching it from droplets inhaled rather than from touching their face, then this is a good policy.

That is where we are at.
Thank you Bill Nye we know your stance.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Daddy-O5
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

blindey said:

That is where we are at.
Which no one can state for certain, because there's literally no data confirming the efficacy of homemade masks outside of "it's better than nothing". You could certainly make a reasonable assumption (even if not objectively quantifiable) that if you can comfortably wear a mask without increasing the amount of times you touch your face, then it's a good idea. But you cannot state with any certainty that it applies across the board, which means a blanket mandate is not a good idea nor justifiable.

Also while it may be a "personal protection" guideline, it certainly won't help the cause if more people are contracting it by touching their faces. I don't think we need any studies to tell us that.

Jack Cheese
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Bill Nye expelling his viral load
Bubba smollett
OOOOPs Dora gonna be pissed.

Mayor Turner says Houston won't enforce $1,000 fine for residents not wearing a mask
Unemployed
AG
LaQuica said:

Mayor Turner says Houston won't enforce $1,000 fine for residents not wearing a mask
Good. Although I agree that people should be wearing masks out in public, Hidalgo has no authority to jail and/or fine people for not wearing one. She does not have the power to enact laws outside of the scope provided to her by the Texas Constitution.

She's an admin; stay in your fking lane.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

Which no one can state for certain, because there's literally no data confirming the efficacy of homemade masks outside of "it's better than nothing".
There is data. It's just not specific to Covid19, obviously because of how new it is.

Hell, there are even amateurs doing data gathering with all these videos of them seeing if their cloth masks hinders their ability to blow out a lighter.

So we have data on how much varying levels of masks stop droplet output.

We have varying forms of data telling us that those catching this virus through the air are mostly likely in the situation of the middle person in this picture and not the one on the far right. The droplets that can travel far enough to reach the middle person through talking or possible super spreaders who just have very misty breathing and not small enough to get to the person on the far right are most likely carrying much more of a viral load , and a significant amount of them would be caught by most home made or cloth masks.
7nine
Daddy-O5
AG
LaQuica said:

• Mayor won't enforce
  • Cops won't enforce
  • Lawsuits already in existence
  • Individual cities requesting a retraction
  • Panic for some inevitably leading to a bunch of stupid 911 calls about non mask wearers
  • Sense of comfort leading to lax social distancing practices (a proven method and still #1 recommendation by the CDC)

This is going great and we haven't even gotten to Monday.
Daddy-O5
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Which no one can state for certain, because there's literally no data confirming the efficacy of homemade masks outside of "it's better than nothing".
There is data. It's just not specific to Covid19, obviously because of how new it is.
Haven't we spent a good chunk of time on this thread and others talking about many actions taken are specific to Covid19 and not like the rest?
Daddy-O5
AG
RealTalk said:

Good. Although I agree that people should be wearing masks out in public, Hidalgo has no authority to jail and/or fine people for not wearing one. She does not have the power to enact laws outside of the scope provided to her by the Texas Constitution.

I generally agree that in some (if not most) circumstances a mask is appropriate. I just don't think it's as black and white as others.

Also that last part primarily, if I'm being real honest.
Fitch
AG
First couple minutes show air movement from coughing into hands, elbow and with a mask. Asymptomatic transmission is how this thing stays in the populace and prolongs the duration of public policy enforcement. Cutting off the transmission vector gets business opened up faster.

Texaggie7nine
J.D. c/o 05 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Haven't we spent a good chunk of time on this thread and others talking about many actions taken are specific to Covid19 and not like the rest?
I added to my post above. This virus may be new, but human anatomy and physics isn't.
7nine
Daddy-O5
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

J.D. c/o 05 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

I added to my post above. This virus may be new, but human anatomy and physics isn't.
I'm not trying to be obtuse here (I'm truly not), but neither the picture you showed nor your commentary comes anywhere close to an objective scientific conclusion on the potential benefits of a homemade mask vs. potential cons. It's really a lot more "likely" and "could be / would be" types of statements.

I'm not actually making an argument, nor have I ever that there aren't benefits for a well constructed and well maintained homemade mask. I've said in recent posts I tend to believe a mask to be beneficial in most cases.

My primary reason for interjecting in these discussions is I don't believe there to be any conclusive evidence that an across the board mandate is actually the best course of action, even setting aside "muh liberties" simply for discussions sake. Nothing in your edited post changes that in my opinion.
Texaggie7nine
We know in populations where mask wearing is very high, their levels are better than without.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25410/20200421/austria-90-drop-coronavirus-cases-requiring-people-wear-face-masks.htm

7nine
YellAg2004
AG

Can we please not re-hash the same argument that has been done repeatedly the last two days?!

We all know there are some of you who are willing to die on the "No Mask" and "Mask" hills. Neither one of you are changing the others' minds.
Daddy-O5
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

We know in populations where mask wearing is very high, their levels are better than without.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25410/20200421/austria-90-drop-coronavirus-cases-requiring-people-wear-face-masks.htm

Complete misread on my part. Will revert later.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Daddy-O5
AG
I'll own that one.

I really was in good faith trying to read, understand the article and find other sources that confirm or deny the same. I was very, very confused for a minute.
Texaggie7nine
We've all done it at one time or another.

The article does though go through other countries that have mandated masks. Czech Republic, Slovakia, ect.
7nine
cone
AG
i think we're finding out that people spit like crazy when they talk loud. and this thing spreads via all that spit. and americans are loud people.

and that masks filter out that spit pretty effectively. surgical masks being probably what we'd like to have/need. but cloth masks with filter inserts or even bandannas doing a pretty good job knocking the spit down. far better than nothing.

same with installing plexiglass boundaries at retail locations. gotta knock the spit down.
Texaggie7nine
cone said:

i think we're finding out that people spit like crazy when they talk loud. and this thing spreads via all that spit. and americans are loud people.

and that masks filter out that spit pretty effectively. surgical masks being probably what we'd like to have/need. but cloth masks with filter inserts or even bandannas doing a pretty good job knocking the spit down. far better than nothing.

same with installing plexiglass boundaries at retail locations. gotta knock the spit down.
Yes. I think this tells us all we need to know on why it's so bad in NYC. Look at the shower of spit coming from his mouth

NSFW language

7nine
Diggity
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

NSFW language
but is it NSFWFH?
Texaggie7nine
Diggity said:

Texaggie7nine said:

NSFW language
but is it NSFWFH?
Depends on if your kids are in speaker range.
7nine
Diggity
AG
also, my door...is quite thin.
cajunaggie08
AG
RealTalk said:

LaQuica said:

She is the head executive of Harris County. This is her lane whether you like it or not. Now I agree that most of the time the roll is generally admin work as most of us forget there is a county government on top of the city government that gets all of the local attention. For everyone in the burbs who lives in an unincorporated part of the county, the county judge is the head of the only local government you have before you hit state level.
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

aTm2004
AG
A guy I went from kindergarten through HS with who is a HPD officer just posted this on his FB.

cajunaggie08
AG
does this make houston a sanctuary city for non-mask wearers?
Unemployed
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

RealTalk said:

LaQuica said:

She is the head executive of Harris County. This is her lane whether you like it or not. Now I agree that most of the time the roll is generally admin work as most of us forget there is a county government on top of the city government that gets all of the local attention. For everyone in the burbs who lives in an unincorporated part of the county, the county judge is the head of the only local government you have before you hit state level.
I understand that.

But her mandating that everyone is required to wear a mask in public and attaching a $1000 fine and/or jail time is outside the bounds of her authority.
cajunaggie08
AG
RealTalk said:

cajunaggie08 said:

RealTalk said:

LaQuica said:

I understand that.

But her mandating that everyone is required to wear a mask in public and attaching a $1000 fine and/or jail time is outside the bounds of her authority.
I suppose this is why the idea of executive privileges and orders is a mess. While I am in favor of it being mandated, I do not like the fact a single person can use an emergency order to create a punishable law. Perhaps the commissioners court could have had an emergency meeting to made it a health mandate punishable by a fine as the texas health code does grant them that power. I think many of us are guilty of turning a blind eye to this power when its a politician we like using it for a policy we support
First Page Last Page
Page 108 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.