Houston
Sponsored by

Irrigation Water Well Depth Question

1,096 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bondag
Nagler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We bought some land out in Crosby. The property has an irrigation well on it that was dug to pump water into a pond and then from there pumped out to water grass/ hay fields.

Does anyone here has a guess on what the depth on that well might be? As in what would be the standard irrigation depth in Northeast Harris county?

Does anyone know what the standard depth for a well for drinking water would be in that area?

We're eventually going to build a house out there and it would be nice if we could use the existing well.

I know we'll have to get someone to come out and look at it but I figured with TexAgs' wealth of knowledge someone might have some insight into what we might be up against.
Ag_07
AG
Check out the Texas Water Development Board website.

There is an interactive groundwater map that has water wells plotted. If your well is on there you can look at data including depth, water level, drill date, etc etc.

http://www.twdb.texas.gov/groundwater/data/gwdbrpt.asp
txags92
AG
Nagler said:

We bought some land out in Crosby. The property has an irrigation well on it that was dug to pump water into a pond and then from there pumped out to water grass/ hay fields.

Does anyone here has a guess on what the depth on that well might be? As in what would be the standard irrigation depth in Northeast Harris county?

Does anyone know what the standard depth for a well for drinking water would be in that area?

We're eventually going to build a house out there and it would be nice if we could use the existing well.

I know we'll have to get someone to come out and look at it but I figured with TexAgs' wealth of knowledge someone might have some insight into what we might be up against.
It really depends on the age of the well and how much they were trying to produce from it. Really old (pre-1950ish) Chicot wells may only be 150-200 ft. Newer production wells (1970s and beyond) in the Chicot are more likely to be 400-700 depending on locality and particularly if they were looking for lower TDS. One thing to keep in mind is depending on where you are near Crosby, there may be chemical plants with pretty significant plumes of contaminants in groundwater nearby. Those will generally be shallower, but it isn't uncommon to see contamination down to 200+ feet around some of those plants. If you are near one, you probably want to be looking significantly deeper, as they are probably also going to be pumping water for their operations from wells as well. Also, if you are near a bunch of the sod farms out there, you may want to go to the Harris Galveston Subsidence District and do a well radius search using their request form to see who is already using water around you and from what depths. You don't want to get into a battle of who has the bigger pump with businesses.
evestor1
My well near lake Houston is 275. Cannot remember when water was first hit.

For new build I'd get a new well
txags92
AG
Most areas you will hit water as shallow as 15' in the houston area, but you wouldn't want to drink it. Permeable zones capable of producing for domestic supply can be present as shallow as 60-100 feet, but may have higher tds than you would want for irrigation or drinking.
Bondag
AG
Is it registered with HGCSD?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.