Houston
Sponsored by

Adding a laundry room

1,483 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgLA06
Exsurge Domine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have any recs for a handy man/contractor who could tackle a home improvement project for us? I would like to add a laundry room in the house and don't know the first place to start. It would need all new hookups for the washer/dryer and likely a sink install. Thanks in advance
MrMiyAggie
AG
Doug Franks
Cavettohomes.com
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
For that kind of money, build something awesome. Not a freaking laundry room. Build a badass outdoor kitchen and living room and just put the laundry machines in the former kitchen. Build a home gym room, home theater, workshop, garage, indoor putting green, sex dungeon, kids playroom, home bar with pool table, put in a pool.
aTm2004
AG
Boy, I remember when women were happy with a shady spot to sit with the washboard and a clothesline that was high enough that the sheets didn't touch the ground.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Boy, I remember when women were happy
aTm2004
Exsurge Domine
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Exsurge Domine
MrMiyAggie said:

Doug Franks
Cavettohomes.com

Thank you I will reach out to him
Jackal99
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Here.
AgLA06
AG
What everyone is trying to say without crapping on your idea is this.

A laundry room addition is going to be one of the most complex, high square foot cost, little to no value return project you could do. It won't add value like a kitchen remodel, bed or bath addition. Nor will the small square footage really add any value.

And then you have to add foundation, change the roof line, add water lines, gas lines if she wants a gas dryer, add electrical and probably expand the breaker panel, and break foundation to tie into the sanitary line (if possible).

Unless part of a much bigger renovation / add on it's most likely going to make better sense to buy a new house unless you just have money to burn without any real return.
Diggity
AG
It really depends. If you have an old ranch with an attached garage, you could probably steal some space from the garage to enclose a utility room. The previous owners did that with our place. While the garage isn't as deep as I would like, I think it's worth the trade off for the extra storage and indoor utility/mud room.

Exsurge Domine
Thanks for the advice everyone, I was actually thinking of turning my wine room (came with the house, wife and I don't drink much) into the laundry room, rather than adding on. Would that be impossibly expensive?
AgLA06
AG
If it already has a sink, not hard. Tying in drain lines won't be difficult.

Otherwise you'll have bust up concrete through adjoining rooms until you can get to the line under your slab (assuming on slab). If pier and beem, pretty easy regarding of where.
CowtownAg06
AG
Your house has a wine room but no laundry room?
aTm2004
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

House must be Italian.
AgLA06
AG
I'm guessing it had a laundry room at one time and no wine room.

Priorities man!
Exsurge Domine
CowtownAg06 said:

Yep, the laundry room is tiny, really just a walkway from the garage into the rest of the house.
AgLA06
AG
You just described the average laundry room and the photo Diggity posted above.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Look at "this old house" magazine and they always dedicate like half a page of their showcase houses to the mud room (also be sure to call it this going forward to avoid texags judgement), our new house has a great utility room and it does a lot for keeping jackets/shoes/ clutter out of the rest of the house.
Exsurge Domine
AgLA06 said:

You just described the average laundry room.

I should let you talk to my wife
Exsurge Domine
NRD09 said:

Look at "this old house" magazine and they always dedicate like half a page of their showcase houses to the mud room (also be sure to call it this going forward to avoid texags judgement), our new house has a great utility room and it does a lot for keeping jackets/shoes/ clutter out of the rest of the house.

Yes that's what she called it, a "mud room". I'd never heard of it and it sounded like a big laundry room
AgLA06
AG
Hell no, I'm out!

I think she should be talking to a realtor based on what I've gathered from this thread. I'm afraid you're going to get eaten alive by the contractor that does this if you go that route.

Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.