Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Half Marathon watch spots

1,687 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tamuags08
TexCOAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have recommendations for good spots to watch runners along the half marathon route? Thanks
TexCOAg
AG
Forgot to mention we will have two toddlers with us.
Frok
AG
Somewhere with a playground nearby.

Thoughts and prayers for your efforts to contain the toddlers
ptothemo
AG
Are you wanting to get to multiple spots during the race or are you looking for multiple recommendations for one good spot? I am not at all trying to be snarky in asking that, the answers to your question will just be different dependent on that.
jamesf
AG
Once the full marathon splits off from the half, it is pretty easy to drive up real close to the course to find a spot. In the past, I have found a spot somewhere along Kirby, then immediately drive over to somewhere along Montrose to catch them a second time. The Whole Foods at Richmond & Kirby provides a lot of available parking. Along Montrose, you can either park in the neighborhood along one of the side streets, or find a retail parking lot. Once they pass you on Montrose, you should have enough time to catch them at the finish line if you hurry (be prepared to pay for parking downtown).

And I did this with multiple preschoolers, and even went to church afterwards! (minus going downtown; she drove herself).
drumboy
AG
Baileson Brewing on Bissonett & Greenbriar is having a watch party (but my wife's friend that invited us to cheer on her husband doesn't like beer).
jamesf
AG
Also, be sure to be very clear with the runner beforehand where you will be located so that they can be looking for you. There's nothing worse than going to watch a race and not even see the person you came out to cheer on.
htxag09
AG
Pretty good overall info here.

My wife goes to the bed bath and beyond on Kirby right across from the mentioned Whole Foods. As he said, lots of parking lots and space there. It's like mile 5.5. She then just headed to the finish line to get a decent spot for the years I just did the half. She does this with my toddler nieces and my sister.
94chem
At the finish I like to park on the other side of 59 (for free), and then hit 8th Wonder on the way back.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
As a runner, the spot where I usually need encouragement is along Allen Parkway, maybe try and see her sometime earlier in the race and then again at the end? I'm not running this year but I may set up somewhere in that stretch and pass out water/beer/Gatorade.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
RK
AG
christians on kirby has a playground and i think opens early for the marathon.
Texaggie7nine
Do you know someone running?

Honest question for those that don't personally know a runner but are going to sit and watch. What is the motivation there? Unless you are doing a tailgating, drinking, passing out bacon, type of shindig (a la the Catch glory days) what are you getting out of watching thousands of strangers jogging?
7nine
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I haven't had a ton of time for socializing with a newborn these last few months, but every year, either running or spectating, I see friends, old college friends, and people I know. Its a social event for sure. And on the reason I like to hand out liquids.... (1) its fun and (2) I think it was my first year running the full when I got dehydrated to the point that I stopped sweating and thought I might pass out. I stopped right after Shepherd and Allen Parkway and grabbed a water bottle out of some rando's hand because I thought I was about to be in big trouble. So now when I'm not running we usually set up a tent, invite friends to come drink and hand out drinks with us, and just have a good time. You wanna come?
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Texaggie7nine
Well you are doing a kind of tailgating kinda thing. So I get it. I don't get the lawn chairs like you are watching a parade thing. Thanks for the invite though.
7nine
schmendeler
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Do you know someone running?

Honest question for those that don't personally know a runner but are going to sit and watch. What is the motivation there? Unless you are doing a tailgating, drinking, passing out bacon, type of shindig (a la the Catch glory days) what are you getting out of watching thousands of strangers jogging?
I've never gone to an event for the purpose of watching people run, and I don't plan to start. that said, one year we happened to be in the woodlands during the ironman competition. cheering on the people and trying to send them encouragement and good vibes was more fun than I would have thought. we probably sat there for an hour or so in various spots watching people. there's a festive atmosphere that comes with it somewhat like a parade.
maroon10
AG
When we used to live in Rice Military we'd walk to the park along Memorial and watch the runners for about 30 minutes, it's actually pretty cool. That stuff isn't easy
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I live right off of Montrose so I'll walk over and heckle the runners for being too lazy to run the full and remind them that their coworkers don't care about their "achievement" and don't want to hear about it.
86 Tex Ag
AG
Assuming usual route, maybe the McDonalds on Kirby Drive near Westpark/North Blvd. I'm sure they have one of those playground things for the toddlers.
htxag09
AG
My experience, well my wife's, I'm usually running, give the toddlers a noise maker and sign and they are usually pretty entertained. Runners go out of their way to high five toddlers on the course which they seem to enjoy. Also add in looking for someone they know, don't think you'll need a playground for them. Maybe if you'll be at one spot for four hours. But if you're moving around, they'll be fine.
tamuags08
AG
Agree with the above. Signs with "touch here for power or 1up" usually get lots of runners to mosey over and touch the sign. Kids get a kick out of it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.