Houston
Sponsored by

Bellaire school shooting

4,645 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Boo Weekley
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
News hasn't reported much other than victim passed away and suspect arrested on manslaughter. Random? Targeted? Gang related?
RebelE91
AG
I read the perp and the victim were both in the jrotc. Kind of strange.
Gator92
AG
Can't understand the manslaughter charge unless it was some sort of accident. Then again, Kim Ogg.
Unemployed
AG
Gator92 said:

Can't understand the manslaughter charge unless it was some sort of accident. Then again, Kim Ogg.
Gotta charge with something to be able to detain him. Once they get enough evidence to charge him with murder, they will.

This is not a Kim Ogg thing.
lunchbox
At first, HISD said the school would be open today and then did an about-face around the time the suspect was caught.

Made me assume the suspect was also a student there.
BBRex
AG
KHOU is reporting it was an accident.
MAROON
AG
I had read a rumor that both were in jrotc, one had brought a gun to school an they were messing around with it and one was shot by accident. Again just a rumor I read.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Diggity
AG
That's the story going around.

Strange that the kid ran and hid for hours if it was an accident, but kids are stupid.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

The Harris County District Attorney's Office said the shooting was the result of an accident, and a 16-year-old suspect did not mean to kill his classmate, a young man who's fondly remembered.
Harris County DA: Fatal shooting of teen at Bellaire HS was 'unintentional'

Video of the arrest.

Liquid Wrench
Diggity said:

Strange that the kid ran and hid for hours if it was an accident, but kids are stupid.
I can imagine he would be pretty freaked out and scared. That's not the kind of thing where it's easy to say "Oh sorry, my bad."
Unemployed
AG
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/01/16/4-witnesses-account-what-happened-in-bellaire-high-school-classroom-when-a-student-was-fatally-shoot/
MAS444
AG
Man that's just really sad.
CheeseSndwch
I always figured JROTC taught proper gun safety. I assume the rifles they drill with are inert but do they practice any marksmanship?
The Wonderer
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

I always figured JROTC taught proper gun safety. I assume the rifles they drill with are inert but do they practice any marksmanship?
I was in NJROTC and only a few cadets actually participate in target shooting. Gun safety is not taught other than "don't point the drill rifles at other people/cadets".

*I'm a lawyer, but not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and an attorney-client relationship does not exist between you and me*
drumboy
AG
The Wonderer said:

CheeseSndwch said:

I was in NJROTC and only a few cadets actually participate in target shooting. Gun safety is not taught other than "don't point the drill rifles at other people/cadets".
This is a pretty good thing to learn when handling firearms and the poor kid that got shot knew this.
schmellba99
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

They are, and if you read the story the kid that shot the other kid brought a gun from home - it wasn't a drill rifle.
RK
AG
i don't think he was suggesting that. i think he was commenting on whether they are or are not taught any sort of gun safety.
Boo Weekley
RK said:

i don't think he was suggesting that. i think he was commenting on whether they are or are not taught any sort of gun safety.
HISD...they're probably more focused on diversity training and teaching about the 88 different genders.
BBRex
AG
When I was in Army JROTC back in the day, we all took marksmanship classes, but with very nice pellet rifles, so they didn't teach gun safety for actual firearms.

Something like this:
https://www.airgunmegastore.com/air-arms-s400-mpr-poplar-stock/
RK
AG
in reality, gun safety for pellet guns (or bb guns, for that matter) is the same for "actual" firearms. that's certainly how i teach my kids, anyway. just a real bad situation for all parties involved...and so easy to avoid.
HeightsAg
Boo Weekley said:

RK said:

HISD...they're probably more focused on diversity training and teaching about the 88 different genders.
I sincerely hope that your real life is less sad than your internet persona.
BBRex
AG
Yeah, I don't disagree, but you don't learn skills like how to check the chamber of a magazine-fed firearm when you are using a single-shot pellet gun.
one MEEN Ag
AG
BBRex said:

Yeah, I don't disagree, but you don't learn skills like how to check the chamber of a magazine-fed firearm when you are using a single-shot pellet gun.
As a side note, Sig Sauer has a whole line of pellet rifles/pistols that try to be as close to the real thing as possible. CO2 cartridges and pellets are in the magazine, same frame, same safety location. The military uses them for training purposes for this exact reason.

Boo Weekley
HeightsAg said:

Boo Weekley said:

RK said:

Goodness, 9 Beto loving eunuchs starred this post? Tine board has changed.

My life and "internet persona" are both just fine. Sorry to have offended you though, truly wasn't going for that.
drumboy
AG
I'm in HISD and I'm pretty sure they're way too busy teaching English as a 2nd language and providing free lunches year round to be socially woke. That's some suburb *****
evestor1
Not HISD here. My school district is also too busy teaching ESL to be woke - much like HISD.

Seems to be an epidemic. I'm wonder when we'll figure this out. If we don't figure it out by 1997 then our school system will end up a minor league system for concrete subcontractors and molly maids and jail.
Velvet Jones
AG
HeightsAg said:

Boo Weekley said:

RK said:

Thanks Wayne Dolcefino.
schmellba99
AG
RK said:

1. Read what the dude wrote, he specifically questioned whether the drill rifles were inert or not
2. I'm sure they teach gun safety. But you cannot overcome stupid, which apparently this kid was all ate up with.
schmellba99
AG
BBRex said:

It doesn't matter what type of action it is - you check the chamber no matter what. Single shot, bolt action, semi-auto, revolver, bb gun, pellet gun...same principle. Anybody that uses that as an excuse to be lazy or not teach properly is a moron that doesn't need to handle firearms.
cajunaggie08
AG
Boo Weekley said:

HeightsAg said:

Boo Weekley said:

RK said:

My life and "internet persona" are both just fine. Sorry to have offended you though, truly wasn't going for that.
Internet troll makes a lame attempt at an offensive joke and follows it up by insulting even more people but clearly didnt mean to offend? You'd be better off just owning it rather than apologizing.
Boo Weekley
cajunaggie08 said:

Boo Weekley said:

HeightsAg said:

Boo Weekley said:

RK said:

Internet troll makes a lame attempt at an offensive joke and follows it up by insulting even more people but clearly didnt mean to offend? You'd be better off just owning it rather than apologizing.
How was my joke "offensive"? You were really offended?? The only people it should trigger are brainwashed people who really believe that (a) diversity in and of itself is somehow magical and we should be obsessed with it, and (b) that there really are dozens of genders.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.