Houston
Sponsored by

Pour one out, Raveneaux CC

30,530 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RenoAg
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
needs more turrets....and possibly a moat.
BQ_90
AG
jja79 said:

If anyone's looking for a nice place in Champions this one is on the market for $12MM.

That's nice looking pool house, but what does the main house look like
DustysLineup
AG
Diggity said:

needs more turrets....and possibly a moat.
I think the hound release station is cropped out.
jja79
AG
Since the neighborhood is doomed you can probably get 100% CRA financing and a grant to pay closing costs.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Saw someone playing the course this afternoon with a carry bag.

I knew it...
agracer
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Another kick in the nuts for the Champions area. Its really sad - I recall when that area was considered one of the best suburbs in the Houston metro area. It is highly disturbing how so many nice Houston suburbs start turning to **** about 20-30 years after being developed.
lack of zoning in the ENTIRE city will do that...
Diggity
AG
sorry...I wasn't aware there was a "blight free" zoning category.

makes city planning much easier!
TarponChaser
agracer said:

Buck Turgidson said:

Another kick in the nuts for the Champions area. Its really sad - I recall when that area was considered one of the best suburbs in the Houston metro area. It is highly disturbing how so many nice Houston suburbs start turning to **** about 20-30 years after being developed.
lack of zoning in the ENTIRE city will do that...

It has less to do with zoning than it does with governmental interference in the lending markets where multifamily developers are incentivized by HUD providing favorable loan backing and building multifamily where it shouldn't be.
Diggity
AG
Are you talking about low income housing?

Is that a big issue up there?
Post removed:
by user
Jack Klompus
AG
Update on Longwood: They have closed 9 holes indefinitely and the remaining 18 holes until at least June. They claim the winter freeze did them in. They say that they are not going to make significant investment until they understand the future financial position of the golf club (i.e. will the HOA lift the deed restriction?)
TarponChaser
Diggity said:

Pretty much everywhere.

Almost every time there's new master-planned communities going up there are multi-family complexes developed at the periphery. In many cases those multi-family are financially incentivized by HUD to hold back a certain percentage of units for low-income housing.
DustysLineup
AG
Diggity said:

Have you ever had a conversation with anyone over the age of 65 or 70 in that area? It was a paradise before they were besieged by HUD.
stevopike
AG
LW FB page should be fun tonight
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Bushwood is next
Buck Turgidson
I don't think lack of zoning or apartments is the primary issue here (although aging apartments and poorly maintained starter homes are a really big problem for property values in many suburban areas). Traffic congestion, distance from major highways, flood issues and aging housing stock combined with brand new alternatives to the north are the big issues for the Champions area. You have older, flood prone homes that were originally pretty high-end that plummeted in value and invited a bad demographic in. That triggered a wider exodus north from there. I can recall looking at some really nice, spacious homes south of 1960 in Greenwood Forest back in the early 90's with my wife. That was the early stage of 1) those homes seeming dated and needing rehab; and 2) a major negative demographic shift. I also recall looking at homes in Northgate Forest in the late 90's and it seemed extremely high end at the time (still building nice custom homes there at that time). Now there is no way I would buy there based on what's happened to the area around it. Same thing is hurting next door Northland Christian School. People who can afford private school tuition is not exactly a growing demographic there now.

Back to Champions - there are still big pockets of homes that have remained white collar, but with the some of the nearby neighborhoods declining, no Compaq, the closure of their centerpiece country club and property values lagging, I would not buy there today. I hope one day that things will rebound once The Woodlands builds-out and people come back for bargain priced, large homes that still look nice on the outside and are good renovation candidates.
billyjack2009
Metro running down 1960 did that area in
jja79
AG
30 years ago a guy moving out of Inwood Forest told me if you see a bus stop move.
CowtownEng

Quote:

the closure of their centerpiece country club

I'm pretty sure Champions Golf Club is still around...
Whoop Delecto
AG
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
billyjack2009 said:

Such a tired and uninformed, group-think, opinion.
schmendeler
AG
billyjack2009 said:

Criminals love a long commute.
kubiak03
AG
Why yes, yes metro did. Grew up in that area during that time period.

First came metro line, then came low income Homes and apartments. Finally came Katrina for the knock out blow.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
kubiak03 said:

First came metro line, then came low income Homes and apartments. Finally came Katrina for the knock out blow.

Wrong. Multi-family development exploded well before the METRO line on FM 1960 came. METRO was reactive to the development that had already occurred. This fallacy continues to be perpetuated.

There are myriad reasons why the FM 1960 corridor has turned out why it has. High density development, lack of access management, driveways for every business, and folks giving up on the area for greener suburb pastures further north. Putting all this on one bus line is so ridiculously tired and honestly has racist undertones.
WorthAg95
AG
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

kubiak03 said:

Wrong. Multi-family development exploded well before the METRO line on FM 1960 came. METRO was reactive to the development that had already occurred. This fallacy continues to be perpetuated.

There are myriad reasons why the FM 1960 corridor has turned out why it has. High density development, lack of access management, driveways for every business, and folks giving up on the area for greener suburb pastures further north. Putting all this on one bus line is so ridiculously tired and honestly has racist undertones.
kubiak03
AG
When in doubt, drop the racism card....
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
kubiak03 said:

When in doubt, drop the racism card....

It's the first time I've ever said the word on this site. And FYI, I have zero doubt that you refer to. I've studied this corridor from the perspective you are referring to more than anyone alive.

And it's 100% true. Blaming the demise of FM 1960 on a bus line has racist undertones. My father-in-law is a prime example of someone in this very category.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
OCEN99
AG
I took Cypresswood in to the office yesterday and saw the demolition of the clubhouse has started.
aggiedata
AG

Al Bula
AG

Blaming the demise of FM 1960 on a bus line has racist undertones. My father-in-law is a prime example of someone in this very category.
your FIL rides the bus line on 1960?! LOL!
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Easy, Rod said:

Blaming the demise of FM 1960 on a bus line has racist undertones. My father-in-law is a prime example of someone in this very category.
your FIL rides the bus line on 1960?! LOL!
Not sure what the point of your joke is from my reply from 6 months ago, but no, my FIL is not riding the bus line because he is quite racist towards METRO, public transit, and the demise of FM 1960. This example isn't hard to understand.
neAGle96
AG
Having grown up in the area in the 70's and 80's , and my parents still living in the same house in the area since the late 60's, the current condition of the area is sad.

While Metro isn't solely responsible for the areas deterioration, to say it was inconsequential is naive.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
neAGle96 said:

Having grown up in the area in the 70's and 80's , and my parents still living in the same house in the area since the late 60's, the current condition of the area is sad.

While Metro isn't solely responsible for the areas deterioration, to say it was inconsequential is naive.
Again, the METRO transit route down FM 1960 was reactive, not proactive. Incredibly short-sided development decisions and poor access management design by TxDOT are squarely to blame, but it's much easier to just blame it on a bus and the people riding it.
neAGle96
AG

neAGle96 said:

Again, the METRO transit route down FM 1960 was reactive, not proactive. Incredibly short-sided development decisions and poor access management design by TxDOT are squarely to blame, but it's much easier to just blame it on a bus and the people riding it.

Again, that's not accurate.

I recall when 1960 was a 2 lane road. There has always been poor access issues, but Champions was one of Houston's nicest suburbs in the70's through mid 80's. It was an even nicer area before Kuykendahl connected to 45, and you only had to access 45 by driving east down 1960 to the 45 intersection.

The crime along 1960, the transient business (after original retailers moved) among 1960 (metro lines) are directly related to the area's deteriorating. To say otherwise is just not accurate

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.